• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Inadvertent Intravenous Injections - Consequences

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Could this be why some are ending up with heart problems? What is the practice in Singapore?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Yeah but the problem is that patients dont like having the needle in their arm for too long. Pain! Pain!

Want fast fast.

So the proper method they will say stupid Dr! Lousy nurse! Do so long! Stick needle in still dunno do what then jab.

I saw! I saw! Whereas my son say they just jab less than 1 second! Mine at least 3 sec!

Patient autonomy.

The chance of inadvertent IV is very low. But nevertheless is there. But how to prove?

Whereas you spend 3 sec vs 1 sec the patient will complain.

Patient autonomy wins.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Yeah but the problem is that patients dont like having the needle in their arm for too long. Pain! Pain!

Want fast fast.

So the proper method they will say stupid Dr! Lousy nurse! Do so long! Stick needle in still dunno do what then jab.

I saw! I saw! Whereas my son say they just jab less than 1 second! Mine at least 3 sec!

Patient autonomy.

The chance of inadvertent IV is very low. But nevertheless is there. But how to prove?

Whereas you spend 3 sec vs 1 sec the patient will complain.

Patient autonomy wins.

The patient is not making an informed choice unless they are knowledgeable about such things

Ideally the doc/nurse etc should say "Do you want a 1 sec jab that has risks or a 3 second jab that is safer"? Then the patient can choose.

If they want more details then explain.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I always ask the nurse to aspirate because that was what my old school doctor friends advocated way back

Now i guess it is all about efficiency.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The patient is not making an informed choice unless they are knowledgeable about such things

Ideally the doc/nurse etc should say "Do you want a 1 sec jab that has risks or a 3 second jab that is safer"? Then the patient can choose.

If they want more details then explain.
The problem with doing that is you then cause unhappiness for other HCWs. Cos you are saying what they do is dangerous.

Like I said the risks are very low. To be honest in my entire 20+ years of practice I always pull back to check and I have never ever drawn blood. Never. 0. We are talking IM injection. 25G needle.

And of course I ask all my patients. All will ask what is the risk? I will say very low lah. And they will choose the 1 sec version. But I still take 3 sec. Sorry I kiasee. And no one has ever complained cos I ask then to cough for 3 sec while giving the injection.

I found this article.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5333604/

Risk is extremely low. Now this whole covid mRNA thing and risks etc.....as you know still ongoing monitoring. So who knows?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I always ask the nurse to aspirate because that was what my old school doctor friends advocated way back

Now i guess it is all about efficiency.
No. It is all about patient comfort. Patient is first.

The risks are so low. Theoretical almost. How likely you kena a vessel in the deltoid muscle? Very low chance.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
No. It is all about patient comfort. Patient is first.

The risks are so low. Theoretical almost. How likely you kena a vessel in the deltoid muscle? Very low chance.

Based upon the numbers the risk of Myocarditis is very low too so it may correlate with hitting a blood vessel.

Do they still jab the buttocks for anything nowadays? I can recall that's what happened in school but can't remember for what.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Based upon the numbers the risk of Myocarditis is very low too so it may correlate with hitting a blood vessel.

Do they still jab the buttocks for anything nowadays? I can recall that's what happened in school but can't remember for what.
Jab buttock for depot injections. Where you want to inject the medicine and have it be like a depot for a longer effect.

A common example is Depo-provera

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/4086-depo-provera®-birth-control-shot

Otherwise generally deltoid can liao. Even Depo Provera also they say can inject into deltoid.

I know some Drs still do Diclofenac shots to the gluts.

Actually gluteal injection is more dangerous than deltoid cos you could hit the sciatic nerve too. Although with the needles we use usually not so long you would have to be totally have no training to accidentally hit it these days.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should inject into the lung....

This is airborne germs. Even u touch a contaminated contact surface the germs stay on the fingers and palm skins of the hands. It don't get into skin below and spread into the body.

Only when you dig your finger into the nose the germs spread again and multiply on your wet nose..

Actually, the lungs are espically designed to take in oxygen element only ...

Between the nose and the lungs there is another department which generate mucus liquid.

The lungs will throw out any airborne dirt particles and pass to the mucus liquid department. The mucus liquid will trap the dirt particles, and forced the liquid out of the nose. That is make you sneezed with no ends in sight.

Some Virus and bateria are considered airborne dirt particles.

As such when you breathe in herbal vapours it will help contain the mucus department to stop the spread.

Maybe get a bottle of Vick vapor and rub onto your nose and chest, or TCM ointment oil 飞药...

This is similar to food poisoning, your arsehole get the heat and the large intestine pushed the shits through your arsehole... no anal sex ....

Hope this helps.

If you like my bullshit click the like button....

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jab buttock for depot injections. Where you want to inject the medicine and have it be like a depot for a longer effect.

A common example is Depo-provera

https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/drugs/4086-depo-provera®-birth-control-shot

Otherwise generally deltoid can liao. Even Depo Provera also they say can inject into deltoid.

I know some Drs still do Diclofenac shots to the gluts.

Actually gluteal injection is more dangerous than deltoid cos you could hit the sciatic nerve too. Although with the needles we use usually not so long you would have to be totally have no training to accidentally hit it these days.

Is there a reason why vaccines aren't administered on the buttocks?

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
@dredd @porcaputtana

do us all a favour and get MOH to rectify this to eliminate the chances pf myopericarditis.

1. Singapore nurses are all trained to aspirate before injecting . Our standards much higher than their NHS rubbish.

2. Myocarditis is due to general inflammatory response and also signals a robust antibody reaction to the antigen challenge . There is nothing you can do about it. More pronounced in below 30 year old so I have no idea why this ang moh old fart is so worried about it

3. Mortality is rare from this myocarditis. To my knowledge no one died. If you worry then just don't do any strenuous activity for 2 weeks post jab

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is there a reason why vaccines aren't administered on the buttocks?
if you spend time to cordon off a butt naked patient and have a chaperone for female patient you will have 82% vaccinated by 2035

deltoid means you can have many in the room with no fuss and no accusation of indecent exposure . Chop chop and finish . Next customer please .

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
1. Singapore nurses are all trained to aspirate before injecting . Our standards much higher than their NHS rubbish.
This is the funniest part. Everybody knows that between what was trained and what is being practised is a huge big diference.

And it applies to every vocation, profession, gender, age group, race and demographic.

porcaputtana

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is the funniest part. Everybody knows that between what was trained and what is being practised is a huge big diference.

And it applies to every vocation, profession, gender, age group, race and demographic.
there are no major arteries at the lateral side of the deltoid

not even a large enough arteriole for IA bolus shot

the UK nurses must be damn cock. Or he is making up stories to stay relevant on YouTube . Or both.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are no major arteries at the lateral side of the deltoid

not even a large enough arteriole for IA bolus shot

the UK nurses must be damn cock. Or he is making up stories to stay relevant on YouTube . Or both.
Then why the need to teach aspiration during IM injections?