• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
She looked back. Nothing could be changed now. She couldn’t return.

The road ahead was winding and long, straight and narrow. The voice in her head said it would be okay, but she didn’t know how to trust it, or if she even could.

Sophia looked up. The sun was bright and shining. She began to get a little anxious, and swallowed hard, trying to get rid of the fear creeping in the back of her throat. Yet, somehow, she stood tall, the fear departing and confidence overtaking her. She took hold of the straps of her heavy bag full of the supplies for her journey, and began.

Sophia had never traveled outside of the house. There was no way that she could do it without the voice in her head. The voice that had told her to leave in the first place. At first, she just thought that it was her own doubts, but the voice kept saying to go, to leave everything behind.

“You will die here,” it said,” you must leave home. I will lead you. Now go. I will lead you to the Land that I have promised to those who love Me. Trust Me” it had spoken.

“The Land?” Sophia had questioned,”what Land? Why only I? Why not my sisters or brothers? Can’t they come with me?” Sophia’s trust for the voice did not get better, for she had many older brothers and sisters.

“Trust Me.” the voice repeated.

So Sophia left. She left everything, save a couple of essentials; food, extra clothes, as well as some of her favourite things. The bag was heavy and would often distract from the journey. In order to stay on the road, she would need to focus completely. Yet, the items seemed to speak to her, leading her astray. The voice became less clear and she couldn’t hear it when she wandered too much off the path. Usually, she would fall into the other voices that would overtake her, and the voice she had listened to in the first place became very blurry and hazy. A lot of the time, however, when Sophia did come to a place where an evil voice was trying to trap her in going against the voice and what it said, a knight in shining armor would jump in front and protect her.

“The Lord of the Land of Promise has sent me to protect you, no matter what.” he had said,” You are one of His set-apart ones. Whenever you are in danger, I will protect you.”

Sophia would thank the knight whenever he would protect or save her, yet every single time he would say,”My strength comes from the Lord. Thank Him, not me.”

After a long time of constantly falling off the path, Sophia decided that she would have to leave her bag behind too.

“It’s just..too much. I can’t carry it anymore.”

After she finally dropped her bag, she felt more free and light than she had since she had left home. The voice said,”You have finally gotten rid of those things that you used to hang so tight to. You shall now be able to travel much easier. I will protect you, so keep going. I am with you always”

Sophia smiled knowing that the Lord cared for so dearly. She looked straight ahead and pressed forward. Soon as she began to turn the corner, another voice began to talk, one she recognized, for it sounded exactly like her own. Although, after hearing the gentle, kind, and loving voice of the Lord compared to the harsh, unloving, and angry voice that sounded much like her own, except different, she knew it was not a voice from the Lord.

You know that you won’t make it. It said, you’re not strong enough. You’re disappointing the Lord. He won’t want you anymore. You might as well go away and never come back.

Sophia would cover her ears and stop walking. She told it to stop,”Stop..stop..stop..shut up! Shut up!”

Then the knight would appear and begin fighting an invisible enemy. His sword would thrash and block, strike and swipe. Finally, with one final kick, holding the enemy down, he would stab his sword into the ground and get up, panting and sweating. After the battle was won, he would look at Sophia , a smile on his face.

He also hadn’t hesitated to remind her that soon, when Sophia got her armor, she would be able to fight the enemies too. She would also be able to see them, since, as she was beginning her piglarmidge, she was not strong enough to see the enemies or even be aware they were there at all. One time, after he had reminded her, an unprecedented fear lodged itself in Sophia’s throat.

Sophia gulped. The thought of fighting all by herself was terrifying. It had been hard enough to resist the voices that told her to stray off the path or go back home, nevermind fighting for herself.

“I ..don’t think so. I can’t fight, I’m too weak. Besides, if you are fighting for me, why do I need to fight?”

The soldier looked at her. He held her gaze for a moment before looking ahead at the road. Sophia followed his eyes.”Sophia, there will come a day when you will fight alongside the Lord. I will still be here, but you will not notice me.”

Sophia clenched her fists and tried to drive the fear out of her mind. The little strength she had she used up when she replied, “Okay.”

They continued down the path, Sophia earnestly dreading the day that she would need to pick up a sword. Finally, after many days and nights, the two came to a house. The house’s entrance was open, revealing a room in which Sophia could catch something shining inside.

“Here it is,” the soldier said,”Your armor was laid out in advance. Are you ready to put it on?”

Sophia stood up taller.”Ready as I’ll be, I suppose.”

The soldier led her to the house, which looked very old, yet the windows and steps were clean and looked as if they had never been used, as if someone came every day to clean up. Sophia followed the soldier inside where a suit of armor was laid out on a fine wooden table. He picked up the blade and handed it to Sophia.

“This is..mine?” she asked. The anxiety she had had before about fighting crept a bit higher.

“Yes. All yours. The Lord has provided everything we need. Although, now you will not be able to see me anymore.”

Sophia looked up at him, then looked at her sword again.”I see.”

He gave her a reassuring look. Sophia looked at her armor as he explained what each piece was and why it was essential.

“The boots are for the peace that the Lord gives His servants. You will have the peace of the Lord with you all day and night as long as you wear the boots. Here is the helmet of salvation. It is the confidence that you will make it to the Land of Promise.This is the breastplate of righteousness. You wear this to protect your heart from the lies of the outside of the path.”

“How about the sword?” Sophia asked.

“Ah! The sword! This is the Word of the Lord. His Words are built upon the things that He says to you. You’ve heard Him say before,’Do not be afraid. I will help you.’ That is in His Word. You fight with it. You may recite it, and the blade becomes more sharp and powerful. You see, He is in this sword. That’s why it’s one of the most powerful of the armor pieces”

“Wow.. that’s epic. So, what about the belt? Or that shield over there?”

“The belt is for the truth of the Message of the resurrection. That is that the Lord took on all crookedness on Himself and died and rose again. After He rose again, all evil was defeated. He made a way for His His travelers to travel to His Land through the creation of this road.”

“And the shield?” Sophia asked eagerly, holding up the shield and pretending to block an attack.

“The shield is the most important of all of them. You see, the enemy’s minions will try to attack you, but nothing can ever get through this shield, unless you let it. But you must guard yourself. He will train you to fight the battles, but you must learn to truly listen to His voice.”

Sophia began to put on the boots, then the helmet, then the breastplate, then lastly the belt. It all felt heavy, and Sophia wondered how she was expected to carry all of it around on her.

“So..I’m supposed to carry all of this around with me? On me?” she began to get worried that she wasn’t fit to travel to the Land of Promise and that maybe she should have turned back a long time ago.

“Haha, you get used to it after a while. It’s meant to protect you.”

Sophia didn’t want to wear the armor. She felt weak in it, not stronger. Exposed, not protected.

However, after a bit, she became used to the armor. She would take up her sword and shield and began to fight the battles, the voice guiding her every step of the way. Sophia began to trust the voice and let it guide her through everyday trials such as temptation and getting into situations that she couldn’t get herself out of alone.

One day, she came across a battlefield. It wasn’t pretty. There were many bodies lying on the ground, lifeless and unmoving . She stumbled backward a bit due to the surprise of having stumbled upon this field, but caught herself in time. Her eyes caught a monster in the center of the corpses, looking straight at her. Her heart skipped a beat and beads of sweat began to form on her brow.

Then, in the most hideous, deep and terrifying voice that Sophia has ever heard it said,”Come down and fight me.”

Sophia pulled her sword out of her belt but her hands were shaking too much to have a good grip on it.

“Go on. I will help you.”

Sohia heard the Lord’s voice so clearly that she could have sworn that He would be inside of her head. Sophia took a deep breath and closed her eyes, refocusing on the upcoming battle. Her hands stopped shaking and she composed herself quite a bit.

“Accepted.” she replied to the beast.

Sophia lunged forward onto the battlefield, which was an area surrounded with a steep ledge of rock. She slid and when she got to the bottom, walked right up to the beast, not a hint of fear in her eyes.

“Hey, those same eyes. All of them had them, but they all dead now.” The beast spoke.

Sophia turned around and walked a fair distance away, then turned back around and made eye contact with the monster once more.”That will be one of the last things you say, I’m afraid.”

The beast laughed a sick, twisted laugh that seemed to shake the ground. Sophia let a bint of fear slip out but she was able to gather courage once more. The beast simply walked around the battlefield and went on to begin to curse the Lord and nothing but lies came out from his mouth.

Sophia said a quick prayer before beginning the battle.”Stop wasting time. My Lord is mighty and powerful, and He’s about to show you how powerful.”

The beast stopped and looked at her, an eagerness in his eyes.”Alright then. I’ll go first.”

The beast lunged at her so fast that Sophia could hardly react in time to place her shield in front and block the attack, which pushed her back and she toppled onto the ground. The beast found a blind spot and hit Sophia in the arm. She heard a crack and felt a sharp pain in her arm that pounded harder each time. She stumbled back, but continued to hold her shield up.

The battle continued, even with Sophia’s arm. Although she couldn’t attack, she was holding her own against the beast and blocking every attack with only one arm.

Then, out of nowhere, the soldier stepped in front of her and blocked one of the attacks, then striked and managed to cut the beast’s face. It held its face and stumbled backward, crying out.

“Are you okay?” he asked hastily. “Your arm is broken.”

Sophia looked at her swollen arm.”I’m fine. I’ve broken bones before in battle. I’m used to it.”

“Haha! You sure have gotten stronger since the last time I saw you. What was that? A year? Two?”

“I think about three.” Sophia replied,”And also watch out. That thing’s about to strike again.”

“I know, I’m being careful.” he suddenly whipped out his shield and blocked an uncoordinated punch from the goliath beast.

“You’ll...pay.” it said.

The soldier tossed Sophia a bottle with a blue liquid in it. She screwed the cap off and gulped the contents down.”Ugh, it’s worse than last time.” she looked at her arm as the swelling went down and the pain disappeared.

“Wow, that was fast.” the soldier said to Sophia, blocking an attack with the shield just in time.”Who brought you bottles of healing anyways?”

“I found them on the road sometimes and somehow knew what they were for. Enough talk. We need to fight this beast together.”

“I need to go, Sophia. I was only meant to come until your arm was better.”

“Oh. Alright then.” She came in with her sword and lunged it into the beast while saying a quick passage.”God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved; God shall help her.”

Sophia managed to strike the beast. It shrieked in pain and landed on its knees. Just as Sophia was about to strike the final blow, the beast swept its arm hard at Sophia’s leg, knocking her to the ground. She fell hard as the beast took her by the legs and swept her into the air, then plunged both fists into her back. Sophia smashed into the ground and lost consciousness.

“Hello? Are you awake?” A man’s voice asked.

Sophia slowly opened her eyes. There was a bright light. She sat up quickly and tried to look at the light, but it seemed to blind her.

“Who.. is that?” she asked herself.

A hand full of scars reached out, clearly wanting her to take it. Sophia did and it pulled her up. The light was still bright, and seemed to come from the man’s face.

“You were knocked out cold, but I carried you away and fought the battle for you.” His voice also sounded like the flow of a dozen rivers.

“Oh..I see.” Sophia knew deep in her spirit Who this Man was. She could feel the holiness coming from His very presence.”So..bright. Who are You?”

He looked at her, but she could not see His face, for it was shining like the sun, maybe brighter.

“You can call Me Lord.”

Sophia felt her breath stop and her jaw dropped a little bit. She couldn’t move, couldn’t comprehend the love in the presence of the Lord. She thought that she had felt holiness before, but she had not.

“Come. I must lead you to the Land of Promise. You are very close.”

Sophia stood for a moment, too shocked to speak. Along the way, she had heard of people travelling for nearly 60 years. She had expected this, but did not expect to come so quickly after only ten years.

“Already?”

“Yes.” was all He said. He held out His left hand for her to grab.

“But..I don’t feel worthy. I haven’t been very faithful.”

“That is not for you to decide, beloved.” He said.

Sophia looked up once more to see that His face was no longer shining, and she could look straight into His eyes. They were brown, almost hazel. His hair was a dark chocolate brown as well. His skin was tanned and He wore a white robe and a golden crown sat atop His head. His face was set in a sweet smile and His eyes seemed to almost pierce any darkness hiding itself inside of Sophia.

“Okay.” She walked up to Him, joy overflowing like a glass full of water inside of her and a love so unexplainable seeming to cover every inch of her being. She grabbed His hand and instantly felt comfort and peace within her.

“Let’s go.”

The Lord led her to a clearing with a path. On both sides it was covered with flowers, the most beautiful that Sophia had ever beheld. She almost wanted to stop to sniff them. The two kept walking until Sophia suddenly stopped and remembered the soldier.”Lord, what about the soldier? Did we leave him alone back there?”

The Lord looked at her kindly and patiently,”He is in the Land of Promise.”

Sophia felt relief and peace once again and nodded. The Lord led her to the door which was made out of beautiful pearls and the walls surrounding it were covered with beautiful jewels and rubies. Sophia could feel more holiness inside of the walls. It seemed to come through the cracks of the door.

The Lord spoke the word “open” and the door opened on command. Then, He looked at Sophia and said,

“Well done, good and faithful servant. You’re finally truly home.”

Sophia’s armor plummeted off as the holiness filled her and she was freed from every ounce of burden. She had finally heard Him say,”well done.”

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The gravel crunches under her boots and with every step the basket she carries gets heavier. This burden is not the only one weighing her down. She can feel the muscles in her forearms crying out for reprieve, but she keeps going. It isn’t until a big rock she can’t see for the basket, that she stumbles and clothes go flying, along with the laundry soap. “Shit!” she says, and catches herself from scraping up her knees by landing on the basket. Someone probably saw that and had a good laugh.

Brushing off her hands, she rolls to a sitting position to catch her breath and shake her head, forearms resting on her bent knees, her head down between her legs. Well, her arms are getting the rest they needed, she chuckles and tries to think positively. It’s been easy to wallow in self-pity with all she’s been hit with, but she’s made the choice for herself to look for the silver lining in life’s events.

The basket is not going to carry itself, Rachel thinks. She’s vowed that she will take taller steps, lifting her boots higher as she walks back to the travel trailer, then laughing at herself because she realizes she must look like an idiot, carrying a laundry basket that’s too heavy, her knees keep hitting the bottom of the basket and shoving it into her chest, while she appears to be marching. Being able to laugh at yourself is the best medicine.

“Is this the right row?” she questions herself. This is a huge RV park and she’s never been good with directions. She’s tried to train herself to look for landmarks while she traverses somewhere unknown the first time, but she wasn’t paying attention this time when she walked to the laundromat. If this was going to take even longer, she was going to have to rest.

As if God heard her plea, a bench appears ahead. She’ll look like she was meant to be here, rather than sitting on the ground. Rachel’s back is killing her when she drops the basket on the bench and plops down next to it. Sweat drips down the middle of her back as she takes the flannel shirt off and ties it around her waist.

Arms stretched out on the back of the bench, she leans her head back in the shade of the cottonwood tree and releases a giant breath. Fuzzies fly everywhere and are stuck on leaves and clothing. So much has gathered on the ground around the tree it appears one could shovel it like snow.

Her head comes back up and her eyes open when she hears the obvious shouts of youth enjoying the water. What is it about water that makes people loud? She doesn’t care, she just wishes it was her splashing around and cooling off, whooping it up and having a grand old time. Ahh, the innocence of youth and the feel of timelessness. Where have the years gone?

A faded red canoe tied to a stake on the shore just aways down the river bank catches her attention. It leans to the side with a wooden paddle hanging out. Across the bow the words Jones RV park are painted in white. Silly of her to think she would grab the canoe and take off. She’s not a little kid anymore and she has a basket of laundry to take back, but it’s as if God has put these things in her path. The bench, the canoe. Responsibilities loom, and yet…

No one will miss her, as Jake went fishing and she stayed behind to do necessary chores. He’ll be gone for two more hours at least.

She’s never canoed alone before, but how hard could it be on this glass surface lake? A few years ago, she and Jake took an all-day canoe trip with friends down the Wisconsin River. She still laughs to herself thinking of their first hour in that canoe together, spinning in circles. No one ever said she was athletic.

The water is shallow here, so she doesn’t tip the canoe when she puts a boot in the bottom. She’ll have to push off with her paddle. A few strokes and she’s not touching the bottom anymore. First she’s going left a lot and then she flips the paddle to the other side and she’s going right a lot. Oh, what the hell, it doesn’t matter, there’s no one here to complain, and Rachel quickly realizes this is more peaceful than she remembered. She paddles further from shore but turns back for one last look. Her laundry still sits on the bench, chiding her.

Low branches along the shore hide shady spots that call to her. Pulling her hair in a ponytail, she paddles to the edge. The sweet sound of song birds replaces the noise of the lake, as she holds her paddle still against the side of the canoe, water dripping into the clear blue. She’s scared the birds away as she gets closer, but she can hear them above. Rachel ducks under low hanging branches and paddles softly, spying a turtle plunking into the water from a log. What beauty in this quiet peace. It’s the meditation her oncologist told her would help with the anxiety of the unknown, but she doesn’t want to think about that right now. She wants to capture every moment, not knowing how many are left.

A hidden, small passage through tall reeds looms ahead. Should she take the path less traveled or stay where it’s safe? Rachel has chosen safe and predictable her whole life. It’s a quandary she’s frustrated with in herself. Safe and predictable made life easier, but it also made life boring. It made her boring. She recalls a recent trip to the book store, where she glanced at a book about couples asking each other a question a day to get to know each other better. She laughed, knowing there were no undiscovered things about her. All the fun and spontaneity was gone. She often asked herself what her purpose was. Did anyone really need her anymore? Was this just a mid-life crisis?

The reeds pull her in to their hidden cove. She has to grab a few of them to slow herself down or she’ll end up in the middle of them. Red-wing blackbirds watch her as they latch on and bend with the reeds. She keeps going, spying different paths, and taking them further in. There are so many twists and turns and it’s hard to see around each bend until she is there. Where will it take her? What is next? Deeper meaning than she wants to acknowledge right now.

A small area opens up in the reeds and she slows the boat to rest and enjoy the calm. A group of geese mingle together near the shore and spot her, paddling away.

She lays the paddle in the bottom of the canoe. She and Jake should have done more of this a long time ago. How is she going to explain to Jake that his lifelong dream of retirement and traveling by RV is going to be compromised? It’s all he’s talked about for the last few years. He researched and planned, saved and bought his dream truck, not knowing abnormal cells were growing inside Rachel’s breast that would require staying home for treatments. She just can’t bring herself to tell him yet. This was only their second trip in the new trailer. Chemo starts 4 days after they get back.

Huge raindrops surprise Rachel as they plunk down on her arms and face, and mingle with the tears. She’s only 54, and lost. Lost on this roller coaster of regret and fear. Possibly even lost on this lake. These were supposed to be the good years. Empty nesters with time on their hands and a whole country to discover.

Panic rises in her and she feels her stomach turn. She’s going to ruin it all, either that or she’ll get lost on this lake and never return.

The drops fall heavier now and her head tilts up to notice the gray clouds she hadn’t seen before. Well, she’s going to get wet and so are the clothes in the basket on the bench. It will be even heavier than before, but burdens usually get worse before they get better. Pray, her mother always said. In all things, pray.

Drops soak her hair and tank top, but she bows her head and asks God for the strength to get through her treatments and bravery to tell Jake tonight, and mostly that he won’t be disappointed. It seems silly to worry that Jake will be upset with her, he’s always been a supportive husband, but she also knows he’s been waiting so long for this freedom in their lives. “God, also help me to get back to shore.”

Definitely lost, it’s one of the quirks about her, but she paddles like her life depends on it. Small strokes, turning corners, backtracking, until she hears the voices of kids yelling and playing. She knows she’s close, but it’s like being in a corn maze. You can hear people on the other sides, but how do you get there? Lots of dead ends.

She ties the canoe to the post again and shakes out her hair. She’s sopping and chooses to leave the basket right where it is. No way she’s carrying that burden any further. Jake can help her with it later. She’s going to need his help a lot.

She’s bowing her head walking through the rain, but when she spots his silver truck she knows she’s heading in the right direction. Jake opens the trailer door as she approaches jogging down the steps to meet her. “I was worried about you. You weren’t here when I got back. I thought I’d find you reading and drinking wine under the awning,” he says with a smile.

Her burdens feel lighter with Jake’s arms around her. Why didn’t she trust this before? Maybe there are things they don’t know about each other. Perhaps there are questions still unanswered. Perhaps there is still new life left to be lived. She’s going to talk to Jake, and then she’s going to buy that book when they get home.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Rainbow came out today,

She was wondering and colloquizing

Here is her thought,

“Why must the Rain and the sun comes out before she does?”

She said to me,

“I’ve been trying so Hard to come out before They do, but to no avail”.

I couldn’t say anything because I Believe this Conversation is beyond My reasoning.

She continues

“Jeff”,

I responded hmm!

“Do you know or have you noticed that I often Comes out only when it rains

And hot at the same time?

And most of the time when I’m out nobody took note of me”.

She also said she wonder why humans don’t Look up often.

When they run,

They do that with Head straight or down.

When they walk,

They do that with Head Straight or down.

When they stand,

They do that with Head Straight or down.

When they sit,

they do that with head straight Or down.

She asked me,

“Do you want me to Tell you what they do while Sleeping?”

I said go ahead.

So, she continues,

“Nobody wants to lie down,

And face the sky under a hot climate”.

I said that’s true.

She continues

“My whole life is a message

And I’ve tried to by-pass nature for centuries; Still no avail.

I’ve come to the point of accepting what God has set in order I don’t want to try anymore;

I don’t want to interrupt with the order of nature anymore.

If the rain and the sun must be aligned before my arrival, so be it”.

I was becoming emotional after listening to What the rainbow has been going through.

She continues,

“Jeff” ma! I replied.

“Man is doing to God what they don’t want Their pets or robots to do to them”.

She said she is leaving.

I asked her, to where?

You don’t look happy,

What can I say to make your heart feel better?

She smiles and said, “Jeff, you can’t help nature To be better than what God created her to be. God is caring for us”

I said oh! oh! I see!

Curiously, I asked her what then makes you Happy?

She said 3 things makes me happy

I. Whenever I’m leaving my abode to the earth,

2. Whenever I arrived here and those innocent children piped, saying,

“The rainbow is out,

The rainbow has 7 colors,

The rainbow is shining,

The rainbow is beautiful”

This melts my heart

And I don’t feel like leaving earth,

Finally,

3. Whenever I return back to my abode,

I took over from her, Rainbow, do you know you’re special?

She said “how Jeff”,

I said, do you know or have you notice that Whenever you’re out here humans no longer Care about the sun or the rain.

She said really?

I said really!

All we care is the sight of the rainbow,

Your glow and your beauty.

And when this happens

It reminds us of three things,

“Jeff, what are they?” She curiously, wants to know.

1. It reminds us the first day when you’re out into this world

2. It reminds us of the seven spheres

In this world we are yet to influenced for Jesus

3. It reminds us of the blessings God Covenanted with us centuries ago.

When the rain fell last,

When the sun shined last,

When the rainbow appeared first.

She said, “so touching Jeff, thank you”.

You are welcome Rainbow.

She said, “Jeff I’ve to go now’.

My reply was why soon?

She said,

“I’ve agreed to be me,

And never to interrupt with nature anymore”. She continued,

“Everyone out here will all go away someday”.

I asked why?

She said,

“Because man was not born in this word,

He was only born into this world,

And nature demands he leaves”.

At this point my conversation with Rainbow just Transit into something more serious which Made my heart boggle, and juggle so fast,

I said where are you now going to,

Are you just fading away?

She said “fading away! I don’t fade away. Humans will always judge the elements of this World with their senses,

What they feel,

What they smell,

What they touch,

What they taste,

And what they see.

This world is beyond your senses”,

She said, “I’m not fading away Jeff,

I’m only going back to my abode”.

Your abode!

“Yes, my abode,” said the Rainbow.

I said to her, please where is your abode?

She was so happy and I could see it in her eyes.

She said “Jeff, my abode is God’s throne.

I’m going back to the FATHER of all creatures, The uncreated Creator,

The only unfolder of mystery,

And the only mystery unfolds”.

I said God!

“Yes, God”, said the Rainbow,

I slowly took a 360o turn around my Environment,

And looking back at her,

I said Rainbow,

What about me, when am I leaving?

She said,

“Jeff, you will definitely leave when your time Has come”.

I said Rainbow,

Will I also go to God’s throne?

Will I also go to the FATHER of all creatures?

The uncreated creator,

The only unfolder of mystery,

And the only mystery unfolds,

The only wise God!

She said to me, as she leaves

“Man, you will, if you decided today to accept What God had set in order,

And when you try not to interrupt the order of Nature anymore”.

So, she fades away.

Then I remembered her last word when she said “I’m not fading away, Jeff, I’m only going back to my abode”

My conversation with Rainbow actually reminds me of the scriptures below. And I have learnt never to change the order of nature anymore.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.

John 14:2-3 KJV

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Doing Too Many Things?​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

The days of my life all prepared
before I’d even lived one day—Psalm 139:16

There are twenty-four hours in every day. We wish for more. We often act as if there were more: stay at work a little longer; stay up a little later, cram a bit more in. No matter what we do, though . . . still only twenty-four. God’s set the length. He’s also set the absolute number of those twenty-four-hour days each of us will ever get. We often act, though, as if that too weren't settled, as if our earthly days might stretch on forever. They won’t:

“Since his days are determined, and the number of his months is with you, and you have appointed his limits that he cannot pass” (Job 14:5).

Our time is scarce—it’s limited and there’s less than we’d like. How we allocate it, therefore, how we run our calendars, matters. If we’re not intentional, external factors will govern the allocation: things that are more urgent will claim top priority. The problem is, urgent things aren’t always important things. In fact, many unimportant things become urgent if we let them: e.g., we sign up for something, maybe simply because someone asked us to or because everyone else is signing up, and its demands escalate and it begins to take too much time. This happens some and we default into calendars that don’t reflect our true priorities. We end up with days filled, but with the wrong things.

Okay, so what do we do?​

Look at your weekly calendar. Grab some paper. List the major items. Then sort it by importance (not urgency). What’s most important to you? Most important to God? Now, brother, begin to cut from the bottom, from what’s least important. Go up as far as you can. Cut what you can right now, and commit to phase out what you must, over time.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

For a day in Your courts
is better than a thousand elsewhere—Psalm 84:10

Years spent in luxury and comfort can’t compare to one day spent with God—in his presence; experiencing his love; living his truth; doing his work. And, astonishingly, God doesn’t offer us just single days . . . mere glimpses, fleeting encounters. He offers himself “more abundantly than all that we ask or think” (Ephesians 3:20-21). He offers all of himself, all the time—as much as we want, as much as we choose.

One proven method of choosing him is to strip away worldly comfort, strip away predictability and self-sufficiency . . . and intentionally move into situations we can’t handle on our own. Jesus sent his disciples into such situations: “I am sending you out as lambs in the midst of wolves” (Luke 10:3). He told them to travel light and resist taking anything that could provide comfort, predictability, self-sufficiency: money, extra clothing, extra stuff (Luke 10:4). They had to rely on him. And they returned full of joy (Luke 10:17). Because they’d been willing to move, in faith, into risk and discomfort, they got to spend precious days with God. Jesus told them:

“Blessed are the eyes that see what you see! For I tell you that many prophets and kings desired to see what you see, and did not see it, and to hear what you hear, and did not hear it.” (Luke 10:23-24).

Okay, so what do we do?​

Ask yourself, what am I doing—right now—that requires faith? We get used to choosing risk and discomfort by practicing. So, look for ways to practice, brother. Look today for what moves your heart. Reach out to someone who needs help. Spend time with someone who needs a friend. Commit to a service project. Sign-up for a short-term mission trip. If you do, you’ll too have great stories to tell.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
She looked outside her window. It was only 5 am!

Laney decided to journal, while being mindful about her own feelings.

She wanted to observe the sun rising today, while noticing the tiny nuances around her and wanted to write about it as well, all in graphic detail! She also decided to take note of her own feelings, even the minor nuances. She knew that within a few minutes Mrs. Woodsy would be going on her morning run. Soon the birds would be singing. None of it had happened yet though. She decided to get it all down in her mindfulness journal that day!

She wrote down her thoughts about the break of dawn: “The sky would have been pitch dark, if it hadn’t been for the street lights that punctuated the darkness” She wrote again, "The darkness is intriguing to an extent but there was no greater testament to God’s Glory, than the light!

“The dark was usually chock full of mystery, full of things to say it seemed; there were hidden messages that came to one in the dark, that came to people in their dreams”. She decided to write that down. It sounded poetic for some reason. The moment wouldn't be remembered as well if she didn't put this down in writing. The slowly unfolding Light brought an awareness and along with it a general need to be active and work on the desire to bring these ideas to life!

“The day was indeed a great time to make dreams a reality, at least in your own way, at least to a small extent that is possible for you” Laney continued to write. Laney had been writing in her journal for a while now, and was starting to get used to it. She could tell that she was developing a flair for writing, and it showed! “There were some people who have big dreams, and some people who have small dreams, but all those dreams are indeed valid!” she continued.

The sun hadn’t risen yet but the sky was slowly getting brighter!

She wanted to watch the richness of daybreak, so she stood in front of the window which was a few inches away from her bed. She wondered if she should move to another window in the house, because there were some trees and buildings obscuring her view of the open sky.

She had woken up early just to witness this! She thought a really mindful way to start the day would be to pray while watching the sun rise. She thought to herself that there was no better way to praise God than observing creation at its finest, what better way to do that than to watch the sun rise?

It was still dark. She anticipated sun rise. She was busy writing down her thoughts as she looked up and the sky was now a pale blue! The trees in front of her window obstructed the light, but of what she could observe of the sky from her bed room window she could see that the sky was indeed getting brighter. It was now 5:30 a.m.

The sky was now a light blue. “What a beauty! Thy word is a lamp to my path, a light to my steps.” Laney continued writing. The morning lark could be heard. There were soon a lot of birds that started chirping and joining in.

She looked outside the window again- the sky didn’t seem all that blue anymore, the blueness was soon fading away! The green-ness of the trees outside was becoming more obvious, and the lady who normally went jogging at this time could be observed more clearly even though it wasn’t yet all that bright enough to notice the colour of her hooded sweatshirt and track pants but she could tell it was indeed a light color.

Laney went to the kitchen for a glass of water. Day break was taking longer than expected! It was now 5:48 am. It was the first time she had ever observed the sun rising! She rushed back to the window to see whether the sky colour had changed much. It had indeed. She decided to take a photo. The beautiful sun had risen! The sky was now almost white with only a hint of blue. The sun was in full view, and the day had officially begun for many people! Laney wasn’t going to work that day, but every body’s else’s morning routine had started!

It was now 6 a.m. Laney decided to get started with her morning! It was indeed a beautiful idea to watch the sun rise and document it all in her journal! She felt so pleased with herself that she had done this!

Laney decided to get on with her day and all the things that she usually did at this time. She felt so nice that she started her day with a mindful routine, while observing the beauty of God’s creation at the same time. She felt so great that she did this and decided to go workout, something she didn’t normally do. She felt “so pumped!” It did indeed give her a high. It was going to be a wonderful day.

Before she started her day, she decided to write one last paragraph in her Journal about the sun rise that had biblical references. She felt It would also give her good thoughts about the start of the day. She opened her bible on her phone and looked up all the bible verses related to sunrise. She found a nice one and jotted it down: “From the rising of the sun to its setting, the name of the Lord is to be praised! “ We do not ever understand God’s nature, she thought to herself because he works in mysterious ways. Starting off her day on a mindful note was helping her, she thought, compared to all the people who preferred to hustle and to rush! They were obviously not taking in the beauty all around! She wrote all this down as well.

Laney felt satisfied. She titled her journal God and Sunshine!

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Don't Be a Part of the Living Dead

"But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control."1

Frank Lloyd Wright, the world-famous architect, tells how a lecture he received at the age of nine helped set his philosophy of life. An uncle, a stolid, no-nonsense type, had taken him for a long walk across a snow-covered field. At the far side, his uncle told him to look back at their two sets of tracks. "See, my boy," he said, "how your footprints go aimlessly back and forth from those trees, to the cattle, back to the fence then over there where you were throwing sticks? But notice how my path comes straight across, directly to my goal. You should never forget this lesson!" "And I never did," Wright said. "I determined right then not to miss most things in life as my uncle had."2

To experience the wonders of life we need to be in touch with all of our God-given emotions—including the emotion of wonder. "Life without emotions," said one humorist, "would be like playing a trombone with a stuck slide," which of course would be dreadfully monotonous and boring. The same is true when one's emotion of wonder is repressed, the effects of which are to be characteristically bored with life.

Emotions are God-given. They are a vital part of living a life with vitality, joy and wonderment. So learn to enjoy the emotion of wonder. Learn to let your hair down more often. Have fun. Hang loose. Go with the flow. Plant a tree. Write a poem. Draw with your non-dominant hand. Tell your spouse and kids how much you love them … tell them now and tell them often. Get out of your ruts. Do something different. Stretch your imagination. Step out of your comfort zone.

As Robert Frost said in his poem, "Road Less Traveled," "I shall be telling this with a sigh / Somewhere ages and ages hence / Two roads diverged in a wood / And I took the one less traveled by / And that has made all the difference."

And by the way, being in touch with all of your God-given emotions and using them as God intended is a vital part of being whole and living the abundant life Jesus spoke about. It's also being authentic. Repressed people are a part of the living dead.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be in touch with all of my God-given emotions and use them as you intended. Help me to be authentic and free, and an open channel through whom your love can freely flow. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Real Men Get Sleep​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

. . . for I am fearfully and wonderfully made—Psalm 139:14

Our physical frames matter. People see God in and through them. We have spiritual natures, yes, but our physical frames give our spiritual selves home. They also give home to God the Holy Spirit (1 Corinthians 3:16-17). From an eternal perspective, they’re temporary. But our actions here and now affect our eternities—and we act, here and now, through our physical frames. Spiritual discipline matters more, but physical discipline and physical condition still matter (1 Timothy 4:7-8).

The prevailing culture of this world tells us men our jobs should be our utmost priority—physical care is good, but must be disregarded when and if it interferes with workplace ascent. “Get it done.” “Do whatever it takes.” “Man up.” To these codes we sacrifice our physical selves, and especially our sleep. We stay late at the office; work late at home; live in hotels, on airplanes. But, this is not what our Father God intends:

“It is in vain that you rise up early
and go late to rest,
eating the bread of anxious toil;
for he gives to his beloved sleep”
(Psalm 127:2).

God blesses his sons with (and in) sleep. It’s a time to restore and heal; to relinquish worry and stress; to, quite literally, leave everything to him. We should appreciate it fully, be thankful for it, accept it wholeheartedly. We’ve all felt the results when we don’t: racing hearts; pounding heads; clouded thoughts; a lack of productivity, creativity, patience; a compromised resistance to sin. We are never the husbands, fathers, friends, bosses, employees we must be, when we sacrifice sleep.

Okay, so what do we do?​

Fight for sleep. The struggle is hard, but worthy. Minimizing it is neither responsible, nor manly. We’re designed for sleep. You know how much—but, how much are you actually getting?

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Danger is Your Business​

[ 1 min read ★ ]​

What can mere mortals do?—Psalm 56:4

Our King, Jesus Christ, calls us to a new kind of life, his kind of life. “Follow me” is quoted more than fifteen times in the Gospels. Following him, however, goes against prevailing culture—for which safety and security are utmost priorities. The kind of life to which Jesus calls us is not safe, nor secure. Here’s a report from a man, the Apostle Paul, who lived it:

“Five times I received at the hands of the Jews the forty lashes less one. Three times I was beaten with rods. Once I was stoned. Three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I was adrift at sea; on frequent journeys, in danger from rivers, danger from robbers, danger from my own people, danger from Gentiles, danger in the city, danger in the wilderness, danger at sea, danger from false brothers; in toil and hardship, through many a sleepless night, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure” (2 Corinthians 11:24-27).

God didn’t design Paul for safe or secure; nor did he us. We’re all designed for big, dangerous lives: “. . . for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control” (2 Timothy 1:7).

Okay, so what do we do?​

Insert your name into 2 Timothy 1:7:

“. . . for God gave [ . . . you . . . ] a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.”

Read it through again. Now, fast-forward to the end of your life, imagine friends and family saying that of you: “He was fearless. He had power and love and self-control.” What do you need to begin now, to ensure those words then? What bold changes will you make? Remember, your days are numbered (Psalm 90:12). Commit, brother, to make at least one change this week.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

What’s the Bold Move?​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

The Lord is on my side; I will not fear—Psalm 118:6

“What’s the bold move?” It’s a question that should be asked often, in one form or another, when men gather in Christian community. It’s a question that challenges us to press our intellectual understanding of the truth of our King, Jesus Christ, into clear, practical action. It dares us to form Gospel words into living, breathing reality.

“What good is it, my brothers, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? . . . Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works” (James 2:14, 18).

When we men move boldly in faith it demonstrates—with our actions, with our lives—that we do indeed trust Jesus. It confirms that we’ll actually live our lives like we trust him. Maybe it’s finally deciding to draw clear work/home boundaries, despite ambition or difficulty; maybe it’s confessing some sin, despite embarrassment or awkwardness; maybe it’s giving money or time, despite greed or inconvenience; maybe it’s sharing our faith, despite discomfort or fear; or maybe it’s something else entirely. For each of us, there comes a time when we just must take action, must take risk. There comes a time when our faith mandates that action and risk are the only real options. And that’s when things begin to happen—big, breathtaking things—not because we seek them out necessarily, but because they’re the byproduct of lives that reflect faith.

Okay, so what do we do?​

How might you live out your faith with a bold move? Choose something simple, near-term (i.e., this week), and achievable. If you’re in community with other men (and you should be), formulate your bold moves together, customized to each individual and circumstance. Then, keep one another accountable for executing them. This is one way communities of men must work.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Advice
=======

Be careful from whom you get your advice.

Make sure they are where you want to go
or at least headed there.

For sooner or later, their advice will take you
where they are.

Make sure you want to go there.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
You Are Not Alone
==================

You are not alone.

You are not alone in suffering.
Most of us suffer in one form or another.

So says scripture:
Man that is born of a woman is of few days, and full of trouble.
(Job 14:1 KJV)

"Seventy years are given to us! Some may even reach eighty.
But even the best of these years are filled with pain and trouble;
soon they disappear, and we are gone." (Psalms 90:10 NLT)

You are not alone.

"If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask
the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you
forever - the Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him,
because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for
he lives with you and will be in you." (John 14:15-17 NIV)

You are not alone.

God sees, hears, and forgives you.

Often our problem is not with God forgiving us,
but in us forgiving ourselves.
God has forgiven us long ago, but we still carry the guilt.

Life is not futile, it is full.
It's just that everything in life is not pleasant.

You have considered ending it all.
What you have not considered is that ending it may put you in a
far worse place.

Believe it, there are much worse places and conditions.

You are ready to give up because you think no one cares.
You honestly feel that you are alone.
If only you could see the angels that surround you.
If only you knew the things that you have been kept from.
If only you knew the disasters you have been protected against.

Soldiers in the natural and the spiritual realms are on duty
right now to protect YOU.

When my 13-month-old son is sick, he feels terrible.
He wonders why he is sick.

He is unaware of all of the love that surrounds him because he
can only feel the pain of his sickness. When he is congested
and has trouble breathing; all he knows is that he feels like
he is suffocating.

Each breath that you take is a gift.

Even when it is hard to breathe,
you are still surrounded by love.

You are not alone. Know this.

To the person who submitted a prayer request to MountainWings
in desperation and despair, (you know who you are)
and to all others this applies to

...this is for you.

You are not alone.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Choose Your Words Well
======================

A certain good woman one day said something that hurt her best
friend of many years. She regretted it immediately and would
have done anything to have taken the words back. But they were
said impulsively in a moment of thoughtlessness, and as close
as she and her friend were, she didn't consider the effects of
her words before hand.

What she said hurt the friend so much that this good woman was
herself hurt for the pain she caused. In her effort to undo
what she had done, she went to an older, wiser woman in the
village, explained her situation, and asked for advice.

The older woman listened patiently in an effort to determine
just how sincere the younger woman was, how far she was willing
to go to correct the situation. She explained that sometimes,
in order to put things back in order, great efforts must be made.

She then asked, "Just what would you be willing to do to repair
the harm done?" The answer was heartfelt. "Anything!"

Listening to her, the older woman sensed the younger woman's
distress and knew she must help her. She also knew she could
never alleviate her pain by living her life for her, but she
could teach, if the younger woman would first listen and then
learn.

She knew the outcome would depend solely on the character of the
younger woman. She said, "There are two things you need to do to
make amends. The first of the two is extremely difficult.

Tonight, take your best feather pillows and open a small hole
in each one. Then, before the sun rises, you must put a single
feather on the doorstep of each house in town.

When you are through, come back to me. If you've done the first
thing completely, I'll tell you the second."

The young woman hurried home to prepare for her chore, even
though the pillows were very dear to her and very expensive.

All night long, she labored alone in the cold. She went from
doorstep to doorstep, taking care not to overlook a single
house. Her fingers were frozen, the wind was so sharp it caused
her eyes to water, but she ran on through the darkened streets,
thankful there was something she could do to put things back the
way they once were.

Finally as the sky was getting light, she placed the last
feather on the steps of the last house. Just as the sun rose,
she returned to the older woman.

She was exhausted but relieved that her efforts would be
rewarded.

"My pillows are empty. I placed a feather on the doorstep of
each home." "Now," said the wise woman, "Go back and refill your
pillows. Then everything will be as it was before."

The young woman was stunned. "You know that's impossible!
The wind blew away each feather as fast as I placed them on the
doorsteps! You didn't say I had to get them back! If this is
the second requirement, then things will never be the same."

"That's true," said the older woman. "Never forget. Each of
your words is like a feather in the wind. Once spoken, no
amount of effort, regardless how heartfelt or sincere, can ever
return them to your mouth. Choose your words well and guard
them most of all in the presence of those you love."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's You
=========

I have absolutely the best marriage of anyone whom I know.

How do I know that? I don't, it's just what I feel.

I am happy with my wife, my house, my car, my body, my kids, my
job, my church, and my country.

Sure, all of them have snags, all of them have faults, but
overall I wouldn't trade them; I am happy.

"Happiness is not having what you want, but wanting what you
have." That's a quote that I remember from a little boy.
It's true, very true.

Society doesn't gear us to want what we have.
Otherwise, we wouldn't buy the new and improved version.
We are made to feel as though we need something different to be
happy, something better.

Are there better wives out there than mine? Maybe.
Even if there were and I had her, would there then be a better
one than that one? Probably.

There is always something better, fancier, faster, more
powerful, and more expensive. Always. If not now, it's coming.

Computer programs keep us waiting for an upgrade.
An upgrade supposedly fixes all of the current bugs.
Often, the upgrade introduces new bugs.

We are in a constant state of trying to get something better and
different. We are often trying to be someone different, even
when the current us is pretty decent.
If you are not happy being you, then who else can you be?

I neither want to nor have the ability to trade places with
anyone. I am happy with myself. With all life's faults, with
all of my faults and my continuing struggle to improve,
I am happy.

There are a lot of others who have more stuff. But there aren't
many who are happier with the stuff they do have.
That's the key. Are you happy with the stuff that you do have?

Are you happy with yourself?

You are you and that ain't going to change.

An old proverb says:

"Be what you is, not what you ain't,
'cause when you is what you ain't,
then you ain't what you is."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Can't Complain
=================

I can't complain is a common answer that many use when asked the
question, "How are you doing?"

A friend answered me that way recently. "I can't complain."

I thought about it.

Yes you can.

Yes you can complain. You can complain about virtually anything.
Even if one area of your life is virtually perfect, there will
be something in another area that could use improving. There
will be something that you can complain about.

The poor have complaints.
The middle has complaints.
The rich have complaints.
Those with little power have complaints.
The president has complaints.

Due to the very nature of life, there will always be things that
you can complain about, that's not the question nor the issue.

The question is, "Will you?"

Will you see the beauty or the bump? The glory or the gory?
That which you have or that which you perceive that you lack?
The excellent or the terrible?

Depending upon your viewpoint, you will either praise or
complain.

Listen to the sermon, "See The Beauty" an adventure in seeing
the beauty in less than ideal situations.

So how am I doing?

Excellent!

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
How Can You Mend A Broken Heart?
=================================

How do you mend a broken heart?

We get a lot of prayer requests asking to simply pray for their
broken heart.

So what do you do when you've got a broken heart?

Here are four steps that will help you up that mountain.

1. Occupy 2. Gratify 3. Sanctify 4. Glorify.

Occupy:
Occupy your time, don't sit around moping.

Do something.

Idleness is the soil of self-pity and depression. Get busy.
The best thing that you can do is to do something that helps
others. It's a universal principle that when you start focusing
on helping others, your own problems are diminished.
Don't just stand there, DO SOMETHING!

Gratify:
Write a list of the things you like, then pick three of those
things and put those things in your life - now.
Make sure you can afford them and that they aren't harmful.
When our hearts are broken, we often deprive ourselves of the
things we enjoy. Make an effort to put enjoyment in your life.

Sanctify:
Do good. Don't return evil for evil, hurt for hurt, pain for
pain. Don't wish something horrible would happen to the other
person. Hope for their good fortune in your spirit, and it just
may release your good fortune in your world.

The easiest way to forget someone, is to truly wish them well.

Glorify:
Life is not over. You can live without them. Not only can you
live without them, you can live even happier without them.
It is a matter of perspective. Even with the negative in your
world at the moment, there is something to be thankful for.

There is plenty to be thankful for actually.
Give God the glory for what you have.
You can't be sad and thankful at the same time.
Tell heartbreak to move over.

There is a sermon on www.TheOnlineWord.com called,
"Breaking the 3-Way Tie, How to Break Soul, Sex and Spirit Ties."
If you or someone you know is suffering from a broken heart,
they might do well to listen to it.

A famous comedian said,
"A man isn't a man until he's had his heart broken."

It's not really broken, it's just tenderized.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Leaving the City of Regret
===========================

I had not really planned on taking a trip this time of year, and
yet I found myself packing rather hurriedly. This trip was
going to be unpleasant, and I knew in advance that no real good
would come of it. I'm talking about my annual "Guilt Trip."

I got tickets to fly there on Wish I Had airlines.
It was an extremely short flight.

I got my baggage, which I could not check. I chose to carry it
myself all the way. It was weighted down with a thousand
memories of what might have been.

No one greeted me as I entered the terminal to the Regret City
International Airport. I say international because people from
all over the world come to this dismal town.

As I checked into the Last Resort Hotel, I noticed that they
would be hosting the year's most important event, the Annual
Pity Party. I wasn't going to miss that great social occasion.
Many of the town's leading citizens would be there.

First, there would be the Done family, you know,
Should Have,
Would Have
and Could Have.

Then came the I Had family.
You probably know ol' Wish and his clan.

Of course, the Opportunities would be present, Missed and Lost.

The biggest family would be the Yesterday's. There are far too
many of them to count, but each one would have a very sad story
to share.

Then Shattered Dreams would surely make an appearance. And It's
Their Fault would regale us with stories (excuses) about how
things had failed in his life, and each story would be loudly
applauded by Don't Blame Me and I Couldn't Help It.

Well, to make a long story short, I went to this depressing
party knowing that there would be no real benefit in doing so.
And, as usual, I became very depressed.

But as I thought about all of the stories of failures brought
back from the past, it occurred to me that all of this trip and
subsequent "pity party" could be cancelled by ME!

I started to truly realize that I did not have to be there.
I didn't have to be depressed. One thing kept going through my
mind, I CAN'T CHANGE YESTERDAY, BUT I DO HAVE THE POWER TO MAKE
TODAY A WONDERFUL DAY.

I can be happy, joyous, fulfilled, encouraged, as well as
encouraging. Knowing this, I left the City of Regret
immediately and left no forwarding address.

Am I sorry for mistakes I've made in the past? YES!
But there is no physical way to undo them.

So, if you're planning a trip back to the City of Regret, please
cancel all your reservations now.

Instead, take a trip to a place called, Starting Again. I liked
it so much that I have now taken up permanent residence there.

My neighbors, the I Forgive Myselfs and the New Starts are so
very helpful. By the way, you don't have to carry around heavy
baggage because the load is lifted from your shoulders upon arrival.

God bless you in finding this great town. If you can find it,
it's in your own heart.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
For A Glass of Milk
====================

One day, a poor boy who was selling goods from door to door to
pay his way through school found he had only one thin dime
left, and he was hungry.

He decided he would ask for a meal at the next house.
However, he lost his nerve when a lovely young woman opened the
door. Instead of a meal, he asked for a drink of water.

She thought he looked hungry so brought him a large glass of
milk. He drank it slowly and then asked, "How much do I owe
you?"

"You don't owe me anything," she replied. "Mother has taught us
never to accept pay for a kindness." He said, "Then I thank you
from my heart." As Howard Kelly left that house, he not only
felt stronger physically, but his faith in God and man was
strong also. He had been ready to give up and quit.

Many year's later that same young woman became critically ill.
The local doctors were baffled. They finally sent her to the
big city where they called in specialists to study her rare
disease. Dr. Howard Kelly was called in for the consultation.

When he heard the name of the town she came from, a strange
light filled his eyes. Immediately he rose and went down the
hall of the hospital to her room. Dressed in his doctor's gown
he went in to see her.

He recognized her at once. He went back to the consultation
room determined to do his best to save her life.

From that day he gave special attention to her case.

After a long struggle, the battle was won.

Dr. Kelly requested the business office to pass the final bill
to him for approval. He looked at it, then wrote something on
the edge and the bill was sent to her room.

She feared to open it, for she was sure it would take the rest
of her life to pay for it all.

Finally she looked and something caught her attention on the
side of the bill. She read these words, "Paid in full with one
glass of milk."

(Signed) Dr. Howard Kelly.

Tears of joy flooded her eyes as her happy heart prayed:
"Thank You, God, that Your love has spread abroad through
human hearts and hands."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Be Still and Know
==================

Most people have heard the spiritual phrase,
"Be still and know."

You may have wondered, "know what?"

If you have to ask the question you probably have not been still
long enough.

The answer to this question may be different for varying people
with varying backgrounds.

For some they will know their creator,
some will know themselves,
some will know what they are not,
some will know what they are purposed to do with their life,
some will know how to make the world better for others,
some will know the answers to their problems at work,
some will know the answers to their problems at home.

Whatever your answer may be, the point is you will know more.

Science has told us the brain is the most powerful supercomputer
in the world. We have heard some of its calculating abilities
during active thought.

What about its abilities during stillness?

What about the spirit?

For many, their minds are arguing that we have no spirit.
If that is you, are you really being still?

Our societies are so fast paced and busy that something is
always going on. The world would lead us to believe we have no
time to be still.

Even many people toss and turn all night; stillness cannot be
achieved even when it is time to sleep.

The first thing that most will learn when trying to be still is
how much at motion we really are.

Just pause right now and be still and for the next 20 seconds
whatever you do don't think of a big pink elephant.

Time's up, did you think of the big pink elephant?

What's the lesson, it is not as easy as it sounds to be still.

Even though many MountainWings issues relate to activities, most
of the inspiration for the issues comes in stillness.

Be still and know.

Know what?

Be still and you will know.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal

Want Some Courage?​

[ 1 min read ★ ]

I press on toward the goal for the prize
of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus—Philippians 3:14

In some respects, we know the men we’d like to become. For one, we’d like to be courageous for God, not simply surviving these lives, but living boldly in them. Well, we absolutely can (Romans 8:31-39). The thing is . . . it’s hard. We’re easily distracted—by our drives for achievement and advancement and accumulation. And we’re easily made afraid—that we’ll be embarrassed if we act boldly for God; that we’re not qualified to stand with him; or just that we’ve never done it before and don’t know how to start. Yes, it’s difficult becoming courageous and, actually, it’s meant to be.

God didn’t create two types of men—some cowardly and some courageous. No, he leaves the cowardice/courage decisions to us. That said, we cannot simply choose for courage and instantly become courageous any more than we can instantly become . . . say . . . orators or outdoorsmen. If we want to become either of those, we must practice. We must start small and fail and succeed; we must work and learn. So it is with courage. We become courageous men by practicing courage, by accumulating experiences, small at first, of actually being courageous.

So, there are two types of men, but it’s those willing to practice and those not, resigned instead to lives of safety. The good news, brother, is that becoming the former doesn’t require an inordinate amount of time or a major lifestyle change. It just takes a bit of resolve.

Okay, so what do we do?​

Practice. Do something. Don’t overreach (and set yourself up for failure); but don’t reach too short either (and render your efforts pointless). Choose in the middle—something intimidating, but not overly. Here are some suggestions: face a phobia; spend time with someone the rest of the world avoids; serve in a way you’ve never served before.