• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Always More to Follow
James 4
"'God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble.'" (v. 6)
Why have some Christians received more grace? If, as we said, grace is undeserved favor, does that mean God has favorites? Is there something capricious about the Almighty's allocation of help to His children? Some secular writers have portrayed God as being like men and women, biased in His affections and having an inexplicable preference for one person and disinterest in another.

But surely God does not take "a fancy" to some people and not others. There is favor to be found in God, but no favoritism. His favor moves to all who are willing and eager to receive it. But to return to our question: Why do some receive more grace than others? I think the main reason must be this -- they know that there is grace to be had. Sometimes I come across Christians who think that God's only concern is to get us on to the pilgrim way and that He then leaves us to our own devices.

You can tell such people by the way they talk about their conversion -- and nothing more. They seem unconcerned about the fact that God's great aim is not simply to bring us into the Christian life but to develop us in it. He is not content with calling us "saints" but making us saints; not simply cancelling sin but breaking its power over us. Those who use God's grace are those who know He has plenty to give. Of this they are confident, and thus they keep it in mind all the time. When they have used what they have, they know there is always more to follow.

Prayer
O Father, what a comfort it is to know that however much I draw on Your grace there is always more to follow. I cannot draw heavily on many things but I can draw heavily on You. May this be more than an idea; may it be a fact. In Christ's Name. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Alone at Work?

Whoever isolates himself . . .
breaks out against all sound judgment—Proverbs 18:1

Work is a place where we men are apt to live, not as our true selves, but rather as carefully crafted and false versions of ourselves. Work is a “compartment” where we try to be, not who God created us to be, but images we create all by ourselves. Why? What makes work different? Well, at work, the prevailing culture is too often (and too much) self-focused: outperform, get promoted, achieve, get ahead. It is too often permeated by greed, pride, and narcissism.

When we live according to the prevailing culture of work, we hide our true selves, for exposing ourselves would upset our plans to build our images (and our careers). So, we protect our images by cutting ourselves off. We don’t let anyone in on our fears, struggles, pain, excitement, victories, joy. This is foolish, given that many of us spend more of our waking hours at work, with work colleagues, than we do away from work, with loved ones and close friends.

Living according to the prevailing culture of work can transform our workplaces into dismal, desolate places of adversaries and mere acquaintances. Workplace relationships become characterized by superficiality and materiality. Spending years under such conditions leads to cynicism and apathy, burnout and bad choices. Purpose and meaning fade. We protect our images, but we lose ourselves.

Betray the prevailing culture, brother (Philippians 2:3-4). But don’t do it alone. Track down at least a couple trusted friends at your workplace and begin to fight for one another, keep each other accountable, keep each other humble, be transparent with one another, confess and repent to one another, pray together, laugh and lament together. Set up regular lunches. Grab coffee together, weekly. Start a regular prayer group or a company Bible study.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Kindness
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Your kindness and love will always be with me each day of my life, and I will live forever in your house, Lord.
Psalm 23.6

Reflect:
‘There is a grace of kind listening, as well as a grace of kind speaking. Many persons, whose manners will stand the test of speaking, break down under the trial of listening.
(F. Faber)

Respond:
Give someone your time and full attention today. Listen, really listen to them and avoid saying too much back.

Midday Meditation:
God was kind and decided that Christ would choose us to be God’s own adopted children. God was very kind to us because of the Son he dearly loves, and so we should praise God. Christ sacrificed his life’s blood to set us free, which means that our sins are now forgiven. Christ did this because God was so kind to us.
(Ephesians 1)

Evening Reflection:
God who sent your Son so that we may draw near to you, give us grace tonight as we end another day. You have overwhelmed us with blessings today! Forgive us for the moments when we were far from you and did not recognize your movements around us. Continue to join our hearts more closely with your own so that we may continually be in fellowship with you through each day. Holy Spirit, stir our hearts toward you. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Throne of Grace
Hebrews 4
"Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may ... find grace ..." (v. 16)

We are seeing that one reason some Christians develop a closer relationship with God is because they know how to avail themselves of His grace. They realize it is there to be had and they open themselves to it most eagerly. People who know God intimately view grace as a treasure above all treasures. It is not that they put no value on the things of earth, but they see grace as the most precious thing of all. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, had a friend called Fletcher of Madeley -- a deeply spiritual man -- whom Wesley designated as his successor. He died before Wesley, however, and at his funeral Wesley took as his text Psalm 37:37: "Mark the perfect man (KJV)." He told of how on one occasion Fletcher had made a public utterance concerning the government of the day which had greatly impressed its leaders.

Soon after the Lord Chancellor dispatched a representative to Fletcher's home to offer him a promotion. The official was at some pains to hint delicately at his errand and said: "The government would be very happy to ... er ... oblige in any way if ... er ... there was anything Mr. Fletcher wanted ..." "How very kind," was the great man's reply, "but I want nothing ... except more grace." That is the difference between those who know God deeply and those who don't. They look at the values of earth in the light of heaven and see that the only really valuable thing is -- grace. "Let me have that," they say, "and I am content."

Prayer
O God, help me look at the values of earth in the light of heaven. Show me the folly of accumulating riches, the absurdity of heaping together the treasures of earth. May I come to recognize what has the highest value of all -- Your matchless grace. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
God's Word Overcomes Fear
The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
—Psalm 27:1 NKJV

Even as a young man, David knew how to speak the Word and disarm fear. When confronted by the menacing giant Goliath, David knew that his help came from Jehovah.
Like David, you are confronted by giants in your own life. They may not be physical adversaries, but they can be just as menacing. When one of those giants threatens you, remember David.

The Bible tells us that David hid in a cave as war raged about him and his foes pursued him relentlessly. But David used God’s words as weapons to conquer his fear! He overcame both his fear and his foes, and God blessed his faith!
Have you ever read one of those self-help books written to build confidence? I have read many, but they did me no good. I couldn’t relate to those authors. They talked about developing self-confidence, but confidence in self is not what I needed. Proverbs 14:26 reminds us that, “In the fear of the LORD one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge” (ESV).
The Bible doesn’t talk about self-confidence—it says you should put your confidence in God!

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Faithfulness
Morning Encounter:
Read:
His love for us is wonderful; his faithfulness never ends. Shout praises to the Lord!
Psalm 117.2

Reflect:
Lord, your faithfulness overwhelms us! Your blessings amaze us! Your grace takes our breath away! Help us today as we go out into the world. We know we are citizens of Your Kingdom--may we live in light of this fact today. We desire to be a blessing to everyone we meet. Holy Spirit, guide us as we go today.

Respond:
Aim today to live faithfully with God, honoring him in all that you do. Commit your day to him now.

Midday Meditation:
Our Lord, I will sing of your love forever.
Everyone yet to be born will hear me praise your faithfulness.
I will tell them, “God’s love can always be trusted, and his faithfulness lasts as long as the heavens.”
(From Psalm 89)

Evening Reflection:
Give me yourself, O my God, give yourself to me. Behold I love you, and if my love is too weak a thing, grant me to love you more strongly. I cannot measure my love to know how much it falls short of being sufficient, but let my soul hasten to your embrace and never be turned away until it is hidden in the secret shelter of your presence. This only do I know, that it is not good for me when you are not with me, when you are only outside me. I want you in my very self. All the plenty in the world which is not my God is utter want. Amen.’

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Effective Service
1 Corinthians 15
"... I worked harder than all of them -- yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me." (v. 10)

We considered yesterday the story of Fletcher of Madeley who said to a government official: "I want nothing ... except more grace." One wonders what account the official gave when he returned to the Lord Chancellor. "Nothing we can offer seems to attract him. The only thing he wants is more grace!" Dr. W. E. Sangster, in The Pure in Heart, said that all who know God deeply have a high view of grace. They have learned to look at all the values of earth in the light of heaven. They have seen how absurd it is to put their trust in riches, the meaninglessness of angling for applause, credits and titles, and they have come to the conclusion that the only really valuable thing in life is grace.

Few will argue with the fact that the apostle Paul was one of the greatest Christians who has ever lived, and so it is interesting to note from today's passage that he labored for God not in his own strength but in the strength God gave him. The grace of God is essential not only to live a holy life but to live a helpful one also. The best way to serve others is to reach out to them in the strength that God gives to us. This is the point the great apostle is making. "I worked harder ... yet not I, but the grace of God that was with me." The work of Christ must be done by Christ Himself for no one else can do it. He who lives in us must labor through us.

Prayer
O God, how foolish I am to try to labor for You in my own strength. In spurning the grace You provide I do myself and others a disservice. And more -- grieve Your heart. Forgive me dear Father and make me a more reliant person. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Family Big Enough?

. . . a threefold cord is not quickly broken—Ecclesiastes 4:12

In the family context, building community means building expanded families around our existing, immediate families. These family “expanders” are trusted friends—followers of our King, Jesus Christ—who know us, know our kids (if we have them), know our wives (or girlfriends or fiancées), and know about our parents and siblings. They know the stories of our families and the stories of the individuals within our families. They connect long-term, across generations. They know the good and bad—and still choose to share our lives: meals, recreation, celebrations, holidays, traditions.

Why do we need them? Well, life together is hard—hard for adults, hard for kids. We all need all the help we can get. And, if we’re not proactive and intentional in securing help, it either won’t come or it’ll come, but from places less-than-ideal. Parents can get isolated—or be too much influenced by prevailing culture. Kids can get too little direction—or be too much influenced by peers or unprincipled adults. No, it’s critical that we be proactive and intentional. The Apostle Paul wrote: “if anyone does not provide for his relatives, and especially for members of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever” (1 Timothy 5:8).

If we are proactive and intentional, though, we can influence just who’s going to influence our families—ensure the right people are supporting, encouraging, and challenging us as fathers, husbands, sons, brothers; and the right people are speaking truth into our kids.

Expanded families aren’t built without work. They take investment and reciprocity. No one will share our lives if we don’t share in theirs, too. Pray today, brother, about who should be in your expanded family. Reach out to them. Be explicit. If they buy-in, co-develop a practical plan to connect more closely.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fruit of the Spirit
Morning Encounter:
Read:
My friends, you were chosen to be free. So don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do anything you want. Use it as an opportunity to serve each other with love. All that the Law says can be summed up in the command to love others as much as you love yourself. But if you keep attacking each other like wild animals, you had better watch out or you will destroy yourselves. If you are guided by the Spirit, you won’t obey your selfish desires. The Spirit and your desires are enemies of each other.

They are always fighting each other and keeping you from doing what you feel you should. But if you obey the Spirit, the Law of Moses has no control over you.
People’s desires make them give in to immoral ways, filthy thoughts, and shameful deeds. They worship idols, practice witchcraft, hate others, and are hard to get along with. People become jealous, angry, and selfish. They not only argue and cause trouble, but they are envious. They get drunk, carry on at wild parties, and do other evil things as well.

I told you before, and I am telling you again: No one who does these things will share in the blessings of God’s kingdom. God’s Spirit makes us loving, happy, peaceful, patient, kind, good, faithful, gentle, and self-controlled. There is no law against behaving in any of these ways. And because we belong to Christ Jesus, we have killed our selfish feelings and desires. God’s Spirit has given us life, and so we should follow the Spirit. But don’t be conceited or make others jealous by claiming to be better than they are.
Galatians 5.13-26

Reflect:
As we re-read this week's passage in context we see that Paul begins a magnificent argument for ‘freedom in Christ’. Christ has saved us to set us free – not to live permissive, indulgent lives, but to live as God’s children. He goes on to contrast two lists of behaviours – the first are the result of fallen human desires. Flesh here does not refer to bodily flesh but to humanity when opposed to God. The second set of behaviours are the result of faith in Christ and the impact of the Spirit upon our lives.

Respond:
Where do you see evidence of the work of the Spirit in your life? Where have you grown in terms of the fruit of the Spirit we’ve been exploring this week? How has the Spirit helped you to be more patient, kind, self-controlled etc?

Midday Meditation:
‘The Holy Spirit empowers believers. God, as Spirit, dwells in each of us. It is our job to surrender ourselves to the awesome work of the Holy Spirit and to engage in activities that enable the Spirit to equip and empower us.’
(Richard J Foster, Streams Of Living Water)

Evening Reflection:
Be thou my vision, O Lord of my heart;
naught be all else to me, save that thou art;
thou my best thought, by day or by night,
waking or sleeping, thy presence my light.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Christ Not in Us...
Galatians 2:11-21
"I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me." (v. 20)

We saw yesterday that the apostle Paul claimed his labors were energized by the grace given to him by God. He says something similar in the text before us today: "I no longer live ... Christ lives in me." The apostle had learned that it was not enough to give all of his strength to the work of Christ, though he certainly did that; he had to receive Christ's strength in order to do His work. I have seen Christians suffer a breakdown as a result of trying to live the Christian life in their own strength.

On one occasion I was present at a dinner given in honor of a certain bishop. During the after-dinner speeches I heard a layman make a terrible blunder when he declared: "Bishop, we are both doing God's work; you in your way, and I in His." Question yourself at this very moment and ask: Am I doing God's work in my own way or in His? "A Christ not in us, imparting His grace to us," said the great preacher William Law, "is the same as a Christ not ours." I don?t know about you but I find those words terribly challenging. Is this why so many of us fail to go as deeply with God as we ought? We have received Christ but we do not allow Him to diffuse Himself through all our faculties, to animate us with His life and Spirit. Let William Law's words strike deep into your soul: "A Christ not in us, imparting His grace ... is the same as a Christ not ours."

Prayer
Gracious and loving Father, your challenges are my salvation. You wound in order to win me. Help me to take my medicine without complaining and open myself up to all that You are saying to me in the words I have read today. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dogged Persistence

"It is God himself in his mercy, who has given us this wonderful work [of telling his Good News to others], and so we never give up."1

I once read about a man who loved to hunt, and bought two topnotch bird dogs. He kept and trained them in his large back yard.

Down the street lived a vicious-looking bulldog who liked to crawl under the fence to attack the two setters. Day after day he would come, and the two setters would tear the bulldog apart, until he could take no more and slip away with his tail between his legs.

But, each day, for weeks, he kept returning. And each day would go home whining in pain, licking his wounds.

After several weeks something interesting happened. The setters had only to hear the bulldog coming and quickly scurried into the basement of their owner's home. They had had enough, even though they had beaten the stuffing out of the pesky bulldog time and time and time again.

The bulldog's dogged persistence made him the winner. Determination, persistence, hanging in when others check out—that's what makes a winner a winner.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to give up on and let go of those things in my life that are not in harmony with your will, and to never give up on those things that are. And give me the wisdom to know the difference. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Simple Prayer
Morning Encounter:
Introduction
Daily lyfe this week focuses on the theme of prayer. I love this definition of prayer: ‘Interactive conversation with God about what we and God are thinking and doing together.’ (Dallas Willard). Many of us struggle with prayer or are confused by prayer. Richard Foster tells us in Prayer: Finding the Heart’s True Home that we should not panic about praying rightly, or our motives, or asking for the right things. That we should set aside these things and just begin praying simple prayers and talk to God as often as possible.

Read:
When you pray, don’t be like those show-offs who love to stand up and pray in the meeting places and on the street corners. They do this just to look good. I can assure you that they already have their reward. When you pray, go into a room alone and close the door. Pray to your Father in private. He knows what is done in private, and he will reward you. When you pray, don’t talk on and on as people do who don’t know God. They think God likes to hear long prayers. Don’t be like them. Your Father knows what you need before you ask.

(Matt 6.5-8)
Reflect:
Here Jesus is advocating simple, private prayer which counters the temptation to show-off sophistication as the Pharisees were wont to do. He is not saying that we should never pray in public, but along with fasting and giving already spoken about in this chapter Jesus encourages us towards secrecy, intimacy and honesty before the Father. Jesus also warns against mechanical, thoughtless prayer – the Father longs for interactive conversation about what we are thinking and doing together.

Respond:
Try to find time and secret space to be with God throughout this day. Tell him about frustrating situations, people and circumstances in your life. Tell him your joys and hopes. Share it all: the good, the bad and the ugly. The Scriptures provide precedent for all kinds of prayers and the Father loves our honesty.

Midday Meditation:
'Simple prayer is necessary, even essential, to the spiritual life. The only way we move beyond ‘self-centered prayer’ (if indeed we ever do) is by going through it, not by making a detour around it.'
(Richard Foster Prayer: Finding The Heart’s True Home)

Evening Reflection:
I lay my head to rest and in doing so lay at your feet
the faces I have seen
the voices I have heard
the words I have spoken
the hands I have shaken
the service I have given

the joys I have shared
the sorrows revealed
I lay them at your feet
and in doing so
lay my head to rest

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grace upon Grace
John 1
"From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another." (v. 16)

The Amplified Bible translates today's verse thus: "For out of His fullness (abundance) we all received -- all had a share and we were all supplied with -- one grace after another and spiritual blessing upon spiritual blessing, and even favor upon favor and gift [heaped] upon gift." I love the phrase "one grace after another." The thought contained in the original text is of grace succeeding grace. Our capacity to receive grace at any level depends on our use of it at the lowest level. Refuse God's grace at one level of your life and you make it difficult to receive it at another level.

We must use the present proffered grace to be granted the grace which succeeds it. One preacher said: "I remember when I sat for my first scholarship. I recall going to my professor and saying: 'What will I do when I have used the paper up?' He laughed. 'You needn't worry about that,' he said. 'When you have used all you have, just ask for more.' Much relieved I added: 'Will he give me all I want?' 'No,' replied the professor, 'but he will give you all you can use.'" God is eager to give His grace to every one of us, and there is so much of it. Grace is flowing like a river Millions there have been supplied ... But it mustn't be wasted. You can have all you are able to use, but to have more you must use what you have. How good are you at using God's grace?

Prayer:
My Father and my God, show me how to use Your grace -- really use it. Help me to throw myself on You, to be less self-reliant and more God-reliant. I need to understand this even more, dear Lord. Please help me. In Jesus' Name. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Power of Prayer
So the LORD God banished him from the Garden of Eden to work the ground from which he had been taken. —Genesis 3:23 NIV

When Adam and Eve were driven from the garden, a prayer has not been recorded for them. Surely they bent their faces to the earth and wailed, or perhaps they were simply rendered speechless when God proclaimed:
“The ground is cursed because of you. You will eat from it by means of painful labor all the days of your life” (Genesis 3:17b CSB).

Even though God had promised a way of restoration in His pronouncement (see Genesis 3:15), Adam must have been despondent when God drove the two from Eden and then “stationed the cherubim and the flaming, whirling sword east of the garden of Eden to guard the way to the tree of life” (verse 24).
Everything that has transpired in my life has been because of prayer. One word from God changed my life forever; I realized that prayer was my words to God, but He also spoke to me through His Word.

My prayer today is that your faith will soar, and you will realize that God can turn your pain into power, purpose, and passion. He stands ready to transform your test into a testimony through the power of prayer.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Lord's Prayer (5 February 2019)
Morning Encounter:
Read:
When Jesus had finished praying, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, just as John taught his followers to pray.” So Jesus told them, “Pray in this way:
‘Father, help us to honour your name. Come and set up your kingdom.
Give us each day the food we need. Forgive our sins, as we forgive everyone who has done wrong to us.
And keep us from being tempted.’”

(Luke 11.1-4)
Reflect:
A disciple asks Jesus to help him to pray. The model or pattern Jesus offers starts with the use of the word Father (Aramaic Abba) and is the address of a child to their parent. The use of the word Father demonstrates that the disciple (and us) have the same access and privilege as Jesus does – an intimate relationship with the creator of the universe. The prayer is about more of God and less about us - about honouring his name and praying for his kingdom to come in our world. The reference to daily food is a reminder of our continual dependence upon God.

Respond:
As you pray simple prayers today, you might like to include the Lord’s Prayer. You could even set your watch or phone to midday and join with people all over the world who today will pray this prayer at this time.

Midday Meditation:
Father, help us
to honour your name.
Come and set up
your kingdom.
Give us each day
the food we need.
Forgive our sins,
as we forgive everyone
who has done wrong to us.
And keep us
from being tempted.
(The Lord’s Prayer)

Evening Reflection:
Through the dark hours of this night
protect and surround us
Father, Son and Spirit, Three
Forgive the ill that we have done
Forgive the pride that we have shown
Forgive the words that have caused harm
that we might sleep peaceably
and rise refreshed to do your will
Through the dark hours of this night
protect and surround us
Father, Son and Spirit, Three.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Moving off the Sandbank
Galatians 5
"You were running a good race. Who cut in on you and kept you from obeying the truth?" (v. 7)

As you read the words of our text today, do you not sense the disappointment the apostle Paul felt over some of the Galatians? "You were running a good race." You were! Ah, there's the problem. They started well but they had been sidetracked. Might the Savior say as much to you and me? We were keen once. We were responding to grace. It came in like the waves of the sea -- grace succeeding grace -- and we allowed ourselves to be carried along by it. Then the time came when God led us to some new task or act of surrender, and we sheered away. When we refused the task we refused also the grace. That's when we ran on to the sandbank.

People who started after us have swept past us, not because they are specially favored but because they use all the grace God provides. It's no good putting our lack of keenness down to age or impediments. Before you go to sleep tonight, get alone and be quiet with God. Review your life in God's light. Ask yourself: Where did I fall out of the race? Invite God to show you the place where you drew back. When He does, repent of your unwillingness to use His grace (there will be grace available for you to face up to this) and tell Him you want to be back in the race again, pacing forward spiritually, along with the most ardent souls you know. It will delight God and make the angels sing. "Look," they will say, "he (or she) is moving again. And with speed. Hallelujah!"

Prayer:
O God, may this day be a turning point in my spiritual progress. Help me take this truth to heart that when I refuse Your challenge I refuse the grace that goes along with it. Today I move off the sandbank. By grace. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
I Am the Greatest

"For by the grace given me I say to one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you."1

"Muhammad Ali is considered the greatest heavyweight boxer of all time. He won 56 out of his 61 professional fights and knocked out 37 opponents. His most famous catch phrase was, 'I am the greatest!'

"One day, Ali was seated in an airplane when the flight attendant came up the aisle to make sure that all the passengers had their seat belts fastened. Reaching Ali's seat, she asked him to buckle up.

"'Hmph!' the champ sneered, 'Superman don't need no seat belt!'

"The flight attendant smiled sweetly and replied, 'Superman don't need no airplane, either.'

"Ali fastened his seat belt.

"The greater our success, the greater the risk of us thinking too highly of ourselves."2

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to be realistic about my abilities—never thinking too highly (or too lowly) of myself. And may I always give thanks, and the glory, to you for the gifts that you have given me, and never deceive myself into thinking and believing that the praise and glory for these gifts belong to me. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Habitual Prayer
Morning Encounter:
Read:
Daniel heard about the law, but when he returned home, he went upstairs and prayed in front of the window that faced Jerusalem. In the same way that he had always done, he knelt down in prayer three times a day, giving thanks to God. The men who had spoken to the king watched Daniel and saw him praying to his God for help. They went back to the king and said, “Didn’t you make a law that forbids anyone to pray to any god or human except you for the next thirty days? And doesn’t the law say that everyone who disobeys it will be thrown into a pit of lions?”
(Daniel 6.10-12)

Reflect:
Daniel is an example of someone who practices faith in a culture that opposes his belief. Even though Daniel knows his life is in danger, he continues his regular habit of praying three times each day. He continues to worship God and keep prayer habitual even though there might be consequences. Disobeying the King’s law eventually leads Daniel to face the pit of lions where he experiences amazing protection and deliverance.

Respond:
Consider ways to make prayer habitual and continuous throughout this day. You might like to use prompts such as making the times you boil the kettle to make drinks a reminder to pray. Or you could set your watch for each hour. Determine to pray as often as you can today – on your knees, like Daniel, if possible.

Midday Meditation:
‘I need a firm discipline of prayer. We like to pray according to our moods – briefly, at length or not at all…but prayer is not a free-will offering to God; it is an obligatory service, something God requires. We are not free to engage in it according to our own wishes. Prayer is the first divine service in the day.God requires that we make time for this service.’
(Dietrich Bonheoffer)

Evening Reflection:
Jesus, we want to be formed into your image more and more each day. Help us when we are weary and when we want to do things on our own. We want to lean on you rather than on our own thoughts and plans. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Two Extremes
Psalms 68:11-20
"Praise be to the Lord, to God our Savior, who daily bears our burdens." (v. 19)

The next thing we must do if we are to go deeper with God is to spend time with Him. This means taking time to regularly read His Word, talk to Him in prayer, and cultivate the spiritual sensitivity to listen for His voice speaking directly to our souls. One of the great tragedies of our day is that spiritual leaders fail to emphasize the need for all Christians to regularly spend time with God in this way. In my opinion, this de-emphasis is due to two things in particular. First, it is a reaction to the legalism of past days.

At one time, most Christians were told that the life of discipleship turned on whether or not you established a daily quiet time and never wavered from it. In my youth I heard one Bible teacher say: "If you don't begin every day by reading a chapter of the Bible and spending at least thirty minutes in prayer then you have no right to go into the day expecting God to bless it." What about those times when circumstances -- such as sleeping late, a family emergency, personal sickness, an unexpected turn of events -- make it impossible to begin the day with the reading of Scripture or a time of prayer? In turning from the legalism of past days many, however, have replaced it with a more casual approach to personal devotions. If they don't feel like it they don't have a quiet time. And that, I suggest, is as harmful as the legalism from which they might have turned away.

Prayer:
O God, if, as Your Word says, You daily bear my burdens, is not this worth a daily response of prayer and praise? I may not be able to spend much time with You every day, but I can spend some time. Help me never to forget this. In Christ's Name. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Keep on Praying
Pray without ceasing. —1 Thessalonians 5:17 KJV

Paul writes that we are to “pray without ceasing.” He is, quite obviously, not telling us to stay on our knees in a posture of prayer 24 hours each day. That would be nearly impossible. His admonition refers to a mindset of always being conscious of our Heavenly Father and living a life of surrender to Him and His will. It is an awareness of the truth that God should govern our every thought and action.

One writer proffered this advice:
When our thoughts turn to worry, fear, discouragement, and anger, we are to consciously and quickly turn every thought into prayer and every prayer into thanksgiving. In his letter to the Philippians, Paul commands us to stop being anxious and instead, “in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God” (Philippians 4:6). As we go through the day, prayer should be our first response to every fearful situation, every anxious thought, and every undesired task that God commands. A lack of prayer will cause us to depend on ourselves instead of depending on God's grace.
To pray without ceasing is to reveal your total reliance on and dependence upon your loving Father God.