• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In step

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looking Failure in the Face
For reading & meditation - John 13:12-32
"... 'Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him.'" (v. 31)

The second thing we should do when failure strikes is to face it in the knowledge that with God something can be made out of it. The account before us today tells of Christ's betrayal by Judas. Notice how Jesus first accepted the situation before He went on to make something out of it. The Master said: "What you are about to do, do quickly." He made no attempt to ignore the situation, sweep it under the carpet, or pretend it was not there - instead He calmly and deliberately faced reality.

Before we go any further, make up your mind to face up to all of life's problems, because if you try to ignore them, you will become inwardly demeaned. The account continues: "As soon as Judas had taken the bread, he went out. And it was night. When he was gone, Jesus said, 'Now is the Son of Man glorified and God is glorified in him. '" Not only did Jesus accept the situation, but He moved on to turn it into victory.

No self-pity, no egotistical concern - He took charge of the situation and made the betrayal contribute to His victory. Was Jesus hurt by Judas' betrayal? I should think so. But instead of spending the night wallowing in self-pity He looked at the situation from God's point of view and quietly affirmed: "Now is the Son of Man glorified." It may take you a little while to be able to respond to difficult situations in the way Jesus did, but remember this - the resources on which the Master drew are yours for the asking.

Prayer:
Father, I see that my life will be made or broken at the place where I acknowledge and deal with my failures. Help me not to run away from them, because in You I am more than a match for anything. Thank You, Father. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Asking For Help Stinks!

God opposes the proud,
but gives grace to the humble—James 4:6

So, carrying burdens is something for which we are built . . . and something which we are supposed to do, as men. God designed us, built us, intends us—to lend our strength to others, to those who need it. “Bear one another's burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2). The problem is, most of us read Scripture one way only: that we are to carry burdens for others. Few read it the other way: that we must allow others to carry our burdens too. We don’t really like that reading. That reading causes our pride to rise up.

Like it or not, though, any one of us can carry only so much. Sure, we can “gut it out” with burdens that are too heavy . . . for a while, at least. Before long, however, they begin to grind us down. Anger, anxiety, burnout, depression and despondency, isolation and loneliness, or rebellion and sin emerge . . . simply because we’re neither designed, nor built, nor intended to carry our burdens alone. “One's pride will bring him low” (Proverbs 29:23).

Is there something you’re carrying that’s feeling too heavy? The burden of being a provider? Fears about finances . . . about work? The burden of children living up to expectations, in school, in athletics? A hidden sin? A hidden addiction? Another burden, perhaps?
If so, look around for that person with whom God intends you to share it . . . your friend, your wife. Go to them today. Die to pride. Let them in. Explain the situation and let them respond. Fulfilling the law of Christ also means that we must, sometimes, surrender our pride, surrender the images we have of ourselves, get over ourselves, and ask for help. We are meant to live free and fast and light . . . and together.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
A Biblical Mentality
For reading & meditation - 1 Thessalonians 2
"You know, brothers, that our visit to you was not a failure." (v. 1)

Today we examine yet another principle which we must develop in our lives if we are to become strong at the broken places of failure: cultivate a biblical perspective on everything. You may be familiar with the passage before us today, but I want to emphasize several points from it which help us to see how effectively Paul believed and practiced spiritual principles. Firstly, his words and preaching, despite strong public opposition, were not the result of his own thinking - they were the result of the gospel of God (v. 2). Secondly, the very foundation of his life and character were based on the truth of the gospel (v. 3).

Thirdly, he considered God's Word as something "entrusted" to him, and it gave him such security that he didn't feel the need to compromise or become a "people pleaser" (v. 4). It may sound old-fashioned and naive to some, but I believe with all my heart that the secret of surviving life's crushing defeats and blows is to develop a spiritual and biblical perspective on everything. "It is blessed," wrote C. H. Spurgeon, "to eat into the very soul of the Bible until, at last, you come to talk in Scriptural language, and your spirit is flavored with the words of the Lord, so that your blood is Bibline and the very essence of the Bible flows from you." Descriptive, isn't it? I find this idea of being committed to a biblical mentality so rare among modern-day Christians that I sometimes tremble inwardly with concern. Someone said, "Time spent with the Bible knits up the ravelled sleeve of care." It does.

Prayer:
O Father, help me, also, "to eat into the very soul of the Bible ... until my spirit is flavored with the words of the Lord." Give me a biblical mentality. For Jesus' sake I pray. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Will Jesus Christ Come Again? Part I

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself; that where I am, there you may be also."1

When one of my nephews was only five he heard me talking about Christmas being the time when we celebrate Jesus Christ's coming to earth. He wanted to know if Jesus would come back to earth again.

Jesus Christ's first coming at Christmas nearly 2,000 years ago is a fact of history. He is as real a person as was Julius Caesar. In fact, the Encyclopedia Britannica gives more space to the life of Jesus than it does to many of the world's great leaders combined. The secular historian, Josephus, who lived in and wrote about civilization in Bible times, also verifies the historical Jesus.

But one question people have been asking ever since the time of Christ—and perhaps even more so in these days of ever-increasing terrorism, wars, and threats of wars—is the same one my nephew asked: "Will Jesus come back to earth again?"

The only reliable source for an answer to that question is in God's Word, the Bible, which in the words of Herbert Lockyer, Sr., gives us The Promise, The Proof, The Plan of, and The Preparation for Christ's Return.

First, The Promise of Christ's Return: Actually, every prophet in the Old Testament part of the Bible, except Jonah, promises or makes reference to the end of this world age (as we know it), the beginning of which will be marked by the second coming of Jesus.

Jesus himself promised he would return. His disciples were troubled when he told them that he would soon be leaving them, so he assured them with, "There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am." 2

When Jesus left earth, two angels gave the same promise. Imagine the surprise of Christ's disciples on the day he returned to heaven and two angels appeared saying: "Men of Galilee, why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven."3

And almost every writer in the New Testament repeats the promise. According to one Bible scholar there are 308 references to Christ's second coming in the New Testament alone. This promise pulsates throughout the entire Scriptures, right through to the last page and the last word. "Yes, I am coming soon," Jesus said.4

To be continued…

To be sure you are ready for Christ's return click on the link to "How to Be Sure You're a Real Christian" at: http://tinyurI.com/8glq9.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank You not only that Jesus came the first time some 2,000 years ago to die on the cross to pay the just penalty for all my sins, but also for the promise that Jesus will come again to take to Heaven all those who believe in Him, and have accepted Him as their Lord and Savior. Thank You for this wonderful hope. Thank You, too, for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
"I Didn't"
For reading & meditation - Hebrews 12
"Let us fix our eyes on Jesus ... who for the joy set before him endured the cross ..." (v. 2)

Another principle in coping with failure is this: If the thing in which you failed is clearly the right thing for you to do, then dedicate your energies to God, try again, and don't give up. A father, trying to encourage his teenage son after he had failed an examination, said, "Don?t give up, try again." "What's the use?" said the son. "It's easier to quit." His father remonstrated with him, saying, "The people who are remembered in life are the people who, when they failed, didn't give up, but tried again." He went on, "Remember Churchill? Remember Thomas Edison?

They didn't give up!" The boy nodded. His father went on, "Remember John McCringle?" "Who is John McCringle?" the boy asked. "You see," said the father, "you don't remember him - he gave up." A poster showed a picture of a man sitting on a park bench looking depressed and disconsolate. His arms were folded across his chest, and there was a look of resignation on his face. The caption read, "I give up." When I first saw this poster, I looked at it for a few moments and turned away, but then my eye was attracted to something in the right-hand corner of the poster. It was a picture of a black hill and on it a very tiny cross. These words, barely perceptible, were printed beneath it: "I didn't." Feel like giving up at this moment? Then lift your eyes to the cross. The one who triumphed over all obstacles holds out His hands toward you. Take His hand, and in His strength and power - try again.

Prayer:
O God, help me to link my littleness to Your greatness, my faintheartedness to Your boldness, my fear to Your faith. Then nothing can stop me. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
About One Father's Day ... Can I Borrow $100?

Tim knew his father was an important lawyer who worked most nights and weekends. So he was disappointed but not surprised when his father didn't attend his last soccer game of the season.

That night he got up the nerve to interrupt his dad's work to ask, "How much do lawyers make?"

Annoyed, his father gruffly answered, "My clients pay me $300 an hour."

Tim gulped. "Wow, that's a lot. Would you lend me $100?"

"Of course not," his father said. "Please, just let me work."

Moments later, he heard his son sobbing in the other room, and he called him back. "Son, I'm sorry. If you need some money, of course I'll lend it to you. But can I ask why you need it?"

Tim said, "Well, I've saved $200, and if you lend me a hundred, I'll have enough."

"Enough for what?"

"To buy an hour of your time so you can come to our banquet on Friday and see me get the most valuable player award. Will you come?"

His father felt like he'd been stabbed in the heart. For the first time, he realized the cost of his priorities. None of his clients needed him as much as his son, and nothing he could do as a lawyer was more important than what he could do as a father. How had he missed that insight?

It's always difficult to balance job demands and family needs, but the test of whether you work too much is simple: Are you able to be the kind of parent your child deserves?

Few people look back on their lives and wish they'd spent more time at the office. Far more wish they'd spent more time with their kids.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me always … in all ways … to be 'as Jesus' to every one of my family members and loved ones. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Grace - Greater than Failure
For reading & meditation - 2 Corinthians 9:6-15
"... God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times ... you will abound in every good work." (v. 8)

Another principle we must develop in our lives if we are to cope with failure is this: However disappointing and discouraging our failures, grace covers them all. No fears need creep in today from yesterday's failures, for grace has wiped them out and works to turn them to good effect. This does not mean that we evade the consequences of our failures, but providing we respond correctly and with honesty, grace flows in to take over and transform.

Emerson says: "Finish every day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders, some failures, some absurdities will have crept in. But forget them. Tomorrow is a new day." This is good advice, but not quite good enough. We cannot just "forget them," especially if our failures have brought distress to others also. However, when we face things honestly and determine to learn from our failures, then God transforms those failures by His grace. He wipes away the burning memories of shame and self-disgust so that our failures, seen through grace, do not paralyze us but propel us forward.

The Old Testament ends with a curse (Mal. 4:6), but the New Testament ends with grace (Rev. 22:21). What does this suggest? It suggests that grace does not simply look back at past deeds; it looks forward to hold that future steady. You are under grace today, and you will be under grace tomorrow. What a prospect! The past can't hurt you, and both today and tomorrow are secure. Our failures, therefore, make us sing - sing at the redemption that grace draws from them.

Prayer:
O Father, I am so thankful that grace holds the keys of yesterday and tomorrow. You lock the one - and open the other. And there is grace for today too! I am eternally grateful. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Pursue Peace

"Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual up-building."1

"I know what makes him tick, and I know what ticks him off!" These were the words of a speaker I heard when talking about her relationship with her husband—with whom, by the way, she had a very good relationship.

Clever lady. Smart wife!

For couples, and friends for that matter, to relate well to each other—and to build each other up—each needs to know how the other ticks; that is, understand each other. First though, we need to know and understand ourselves . . . and know what ticks us off and why we get ticked off (get angry)!

There are some things we ought to get angry about, such as at anything that is harmful to others. But oftentimes we get angry—and overreact—not because of what the other person has done, but because of who we are. In other words, when I have a lot of unresolved hurt and anger from the past, it can get triggered by the slightest incident and I overreact!

What the other person does may or may not be a problem, but my hurt and my anger are always my responsibility. And to the degree that I overreact, that is always my problem!

So we need to know not only what ticks us and each other off, but also why we get ticked off . . . and what we need to do about it if we are to have fulfilling and meaningful relationships.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to know, understand and accept myself, so I will be much more understanding and accepting of others. And help me to face and resolve my character issues and be a peacemaker and not a troublemaker. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Drip . . . Drip . . . Drip

"Woe to those who call evil good and good evil, who put darkness for light and light for darkness, who put bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter."1

Several years ago an openly gay Episcopalian priest was appointed as a bishop in the Episcopal Church—many church members were appalled while others rejoiced. Also, until the court stepped in and put a temporary halt to it, the Mayor of San Francisco became a law unto himself and married numerous gay couples. Many were appalled while others rejoiced.

About this situation Steven Higginbotham wrote: "The door has been cracked opened with regard to the definition of marriage in allowing homosexuals to marry, so now a polygamist in Utah, who has five wives, is appealing bigamy convictions brought against him on the basis of this court ruling. This man's lawyer is arguing that the decriminalization of homosexual sex is no different than polygamy."2

So what will come next? Will fornication and adultery also be approved because people can't help to whom they are attracted? Or what about pedophiles? Will their seduction of children be accepted because they can't help whom they are attracted to? Will they claim that they were born this way and this therefore justifies their behavior?

That could never happen here we say. Don't bank on it. Our parents would have sworn that gay marriage would never have been accepted here either. According to Wikipedia Encyclopedia, "Nationwide, five states [in the U.S.] have legalized same-sex marriage as a result of a court ruling, while three others have done so through a vote in their respective state legislatures."3

No society crashes overnight. It's like the proverbial drip . . . drip . . . drip of water that eventually wears away the stone, or like the "umpteenth" blow of the hammer that breaks the rock in two. Little by little it's the relentless drip . . . drip . . . drip by those who oppose all that is godly to justify what they want that ends up having people (including some church people) call good what God calls evil.

What we fail to realize is that we cannot break God's laws. We can oppose them. We can vote against them. We can disregard them, but we cannot break them. What we break is ourselves against them. As God's Word says, "Woe to those who call evil good and good evil." It has been said that the only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help those of us who claim to be Christian, which includes me, know what your Word teaches and stand firm upon it and not be lured into the trap of so called 'political correctness' and thereby conform to the standards of the world about us. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hallelujah - the Pressure's Off
For reading & meditation - 2 Corinthians 1:12-22
"Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ ." (v. 21)

A further principle is this: Strive not so much to succeed but to do the right thing. I remember addressing a group of ministers in Atlanta, Georgia, on "Pitfalls in the Ministry." I told them the story of my own failures, which at that time amounted to a great many, and I said, "The lesson I have learned from my failures is that I don't have to succeed. I have to do the right thing under God's guidance, and leave success or failure in His hands."

One of the ministers came to me afterwards and said, "I am a pastor of one of the largest churches in this area, and regarded by my peers as one of the most successful ministers in my denomination. But today you have helped me overcome the greatest pressure in my life - the pressure to succeed." In the early years of my ministry, I was extremely success-oriented; when I succeeded, I felt good, and when I failed, I felt devastated.

Then God said to me quite bluntly one day, "Are you willing to be a failure?" The question shook me rigid. It was a whole week later before I found sufficient grace to answer that question with a "Yes," and when I did, I was instantly released from the two things that had crippled my life and ministry - the pressure to succeed and the fear of failure. Now, what matters is not succeeding or failing, but being true to Him. Success and failure are in His hands. I am not on the way to success, I am on the Way. What a difference!

Prayer:
O Father, set me free today from these two crippling disabilities - the pressure to succeed and the fear of failure. Help me to do the right thing, and to leave success or failure in Your hands. For Jesus' sake. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fear Not

"The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man do to me?"1

"It is reported that the [former] newspaper counselor, Ann Landers, received an average of 10,000 letters each month, and nearly all of them from people burdened with problems. She was asked if there was any one problem that predominates throughout the letters she receives, and her reply was the one problem above all others seems to be fear."2

Fear, to one degree or another, is common to all mankind. People are afraid of innumerable things: grasshoppers, bugs of all kind, snakes, spiders, mice, the dark, closeness, intimacy, losing their health, wealth, happiness, friendships, the unknown, ad infinitum. Some people are even afraid of success and unconsciously set themselves up to fail. Others are so afraid of failure, they won't step out or even attempt to fulfill their life's ambition and goals.

The ancient king of Israel, King Saul was so jealous of David that he set out to kill him. David had a right to be afraid and undoubtedly was. But because of his enduring trust in God, he was able to say with confidence, "The LORD is with me; I will not be afraid. What can man [King Saul] to do me?" When our trust is in God, we can confidently say the same. I like the words of the unknown poet who said:

I would rather stumble a thousand times
Attempting to reach a goal
Than to sit in a crowd
In my weather-proof shroud
A shriveled and self-satisfied soul.
I would rather be doing and daring
All of my error-filled days
Than watching, and waiting, and dying
Smug in my perfect ways.
I would rather wonder and blunder
Stumbling blindly ahead
Than for safety's sake
Lest I make a mistake
Be sure, be safe, be dead.

God has a specific goal and purpose for your life. It's okay to be afraid, just don't allow fear to control you. Commit and trust your life to God every day and he will be with you. Step out in faith to do what you know and/or believe God wants you to do with your life. Don't waste your life—make it an investment in eternity.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you that when I commit and trust my life and way to you, your Spirit is with me to guide and direct me in all that I am and do. Help me to discover my God-given life purpose, and give me the courage to step out in faith to become all that you planned for me to be, and to do all that you plan for me to do. And even when I am afraid, I choose to put my trust in you. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Men Cry Out Against the Heavens
For reading & meditation - Psalms 9
"he [God] ... cares for the helpless. He does not ignore those who cry t o him for help" (v. 12, NLT)

Having learned something about how to cope with failure, we turn now to face the issue of what to do when life breaks us with unmerited suffering and affliction. I get more letters on this subject than on almost any other. People write and say, "My suffering is so great that I sometimes doubt the existence of a God of love. Can you say something that will help me regain my faith in this tragic hour?"

One of the most poignant elements in suffering is that there often seems to be no meaning in it. One great writer said that anyone who was undisturbed by the problem of unmerited suffering was a victim of either a hardened heart or a softened brain. He was right. Everyone who is mentally alive, especially if he believes in a God of love, finds this problem difficult to solve. No wonder the poet cried out: My son, the world is dark with griefs and graves So dark that men cry out against the heavens.

I suppose there is nothing that makes people cry out against the heavens so much as the anguish which comes unbidden and unmerited. Some of our sufferings are the result of our own crassness and stupidity. But what about when life breaks us with sufferings that are not directly related to us? Does God remember us then? Our text today says that He does. This in itself should be enough to keep us brave, if not blithe; in peace, if not in happiness. Write it on your heart. God remembers you in your suffering. He really does!

Prayer:
Lord Jesus, You who experienced suffering in a way I will never know, hold me close to Your heart so that my sufferings will not demolish me, but develop me. For Your own dear Name's sake. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Suffering is Inevitable
For reading & meditation - Job 5:1-18
"Yet man is born to trouble as surely as sparks fly upward." (v. 7)

How do we, as Christians, cope with the problem of unmerited suffering? The first thing we must do is to recognize that in a universe whose balance has been greatly upset by sin, undeserved suffering is bound to come. Face this, and you are halfway to turning the problem into a possibility. In an Indian palace, many years ago, a child was born whose parents decided to keep all signs of decay and death from him.

When he was taken into the garden, maids were sent before him to remove all the decaying flowers and fallen leaves, so that he would be protected from all signs of suffering and death. One day, however, he left his home and, while wandering through the streets, came across a corpse. His reaction was so strong that he set about establishing the teaching that, as life is fundamentally suffering, the only thing to do is to escape into Nirvana, the state of extinction of self.

The young man was Guatama Buddha, whose beliefs are shared by millions of his followers, not only in India but around the world. His philosophy is a dramatic and tragic result of trying to protect oneself from the realities of life, one of which is suffering. The Christian faith is the opposite of that: it exposes us to the very heart of suffering - the cross. Then it takes that suffering, and turns it into salvation. This is why Christians should not be afraid to face the worst that can happen - because with God it can be turned into the best.

Prayer: Father, I am so thankful for the cross - what is my suffering compared to that? And even if I have to bear similar suffering, I know that out of it will come to me what came to You - a resurrection. Blessed be Your Name forever. Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
For Whom Are You Playing?

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men."1

Perhaps you have read the story told by Coach Bertman, the successful athletic director at Louisiana State University. But it's well worth a reminder in how it helps if we're playing and/or working for someone else. Here's the story as told by Michael Josephson in Character Counts.

"Coach Bertman emphasized the idea that his players were never simply acting for themselves. He reminded them: 'You represent LSU, your family and your Maker.'"

On one occasion "he told a story about a young man named John who played football for Columbia University in the 1930s. Well, actually, John was on the squad because he had a terrific attitude, but he was a bench warmer who hadn't been in a single game.

"During his senior year, John's father died. When he returned from the funeral he asked his coach if he could start in the next game to honor his dad. The coach couldn't refuse, but he warned John that it probably would be only for a few plays.

"To the coach's surprise, John played so well that he was declared the game's most valuable player. When the coach asked John how he was able to play at such a high level after just losing his father, John said, 'You know, coach, my dad came to every game. You probably saw me walking with him holding his arm. That's because he was blind. Well, I figure today was the first time he ever saw me play. I was playing for my daddy.'"2

I'm not going to argue whether John's dad saw his son play or not. But it's certainly true in that whatever we as Christians do, we'll do it better if and when we do it as unto the Lord knowing that He sees all and that He keeps the final score.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, in all that I do, please help me to do it as unto you, so that I will always put forth my best effort to help others and to glorify you. And please help me to remember that I am never out of your sight. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Best Out of the Worst
For reading & meditation - 1 Peter 2:11-25"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God ..." (v. 12)

Yesterday we said that the first attitude we should adopt toward unmerited suffering is to accept that it is bound to come. Sin has unbalanced the universe, and suffering is one of the inevitable results. To deny this is to deny reality, and the denial of reality is the denial of life. Arising out of this comes our second principle: God is able to turn all suffering to good and glorious ends. J. B. Phillips translates today's verse: "... although they may in the usual way slander you as evildoers, yet when disasters come they may glorify God when they see how well you conduct yourselves."

Note the phrase, "when disasters come." They are bound to come to everyone - it's foolish to think that, just because we are Christians, we are exempt. We are part of a universe that has been unbalanced by sin, part of a mortal, decaying world. However, though we may fall victims to life's disasters, we are able, through the redemptive purposes of God, to turn them into doors of opportunity and step through them into richer, more abundant living. A woman who was converted from one of the cults said in a testimony meeting in her church: "They taught me that the first thing I should concern myself about is my happiness. You have taught me that the first thing is to 'belong.' That makes me feel safe." Since she was safe, her happiness was safe too. Others are baffled by life's tragedies. Only the cross has an answer. Out of the worst, Christ brings the best, and makes life's victims victorious.

Prayer: Father, the more I think about this, the more excited I get. You have given me such security. I can stand anything because I can use everything. Oh glory! Amen.

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
When Will Jesus Come Again?

"Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also."1

Over the centuries it seems there has never been a shortage of would-be prophets who claimed to have a corner on the truth . . . several of whom were convinced of the very day Christ would return to earth to take his true followers with him to Heaven.

For instance, "After 14 years of studying the Bible, William Miller became convinced that Christ would return in 1843. When Miller announced April 3 as the day, some disciples went to mountaintops, hoping for a head start to heaven. Others were in graveyards, planning to ascend in reunion with their departed loved ones. Philadelphia society ladies clustered together outside town to avoid entering God's kingdom amid the common herd. When April 4 dawned as usual the Millerites were disillusioned, but they took heart. Their leader had predicted a range of dates for Christ's return. They still had until March 21, 1844. The devout continued to make ready, but again they were disappointed. A third date, October 22, 1844, was set, but it also, obviously, passed."2

The Bible also predicts a seven-year-time of great tribulation that will occur at or about the time of Christ's Second coming. Among serious Bible scholars, some believe Christ will come before the great tribulation—these people are called pre-trib believers. Others believe Christ will come at the end of the great tribulation—these are known as post-trib believers. Then there are the mid-trib scholars who believe Christ will come in the middle of the great tribulation.

However, as Jesus himself said, only God the Father knows the exact day and hour of Christ's return. The important thing for his followers is (1) not to get caught up in arguing about the details of Christ's return, but to do as Jesus did when he was here on earth; and that is "to be about our Father's Business," and (2) to make absolute sure that we are ready for Christ's return; for he will come when least expected.

Of one thing we can be certain—just as sure as we are of Christ's first coming we can be equally sure about his second coming. Jesus is coming again. He promised he would . . . it could be today . . . or it could be in the near or far-off future. However, if Jesus should come today, would you be ready?

To make sure you are ready for when Jesus comes again to earth, be sure to read the article, "How to be Sure You're a Real Christian" at http://tinyurI.com/real-christian.

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, thank you for the wonderful promise that Jesus is coming again to take all your true followers to be with you for all eternity in Heaven. Please help me to know that I know that I know that I am ready for that great and glorious day. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not Comfort - But Character
For reading & meditation
Job 2:1-10 "... Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?" (v. 10)

We come today to one of the most difficult principles to understand in relation to suffering - but it must be grasped nevertheless. It is this - accept suffering as a gift from God. This principle flows out of today's verse - a verse which one commentator describes as "the most profound verse in the Bible." It is obvious from reading this passage that Job's God is not a celestial Being who sits on the parapets of heaven, dropping nice little gifts into the laps of His children, at the same time saying, "There, that will make you happy; that will surely please you."​

There is much more to God than that. The God of the Bible dispenses the things that bring most glory to His Name. If, in achieving glory, He sees that suffering is the best means to that end, then that is what He will give. So mark this well - God is not under an obligation to make you comfortable. Can you see the truth that is contained in the words of our text today? "Shall we indeed accept good from God and not accept adversity?" (NASB). You are ready to accept good, but are you just as ready to accept adversity?​

You see, God's goal is not our comfort, but our character. That is why it is wrong to tell a non- Christian, "Trust God, and your troubles will all be over." It's unfair, dishonest, and downright unbiblical. In fact, becoming a Christian may mean that you will have more troubles than before. And why? Because character is formed in the furnace of affliction - no suffering, no character.​
Prayer: Father, if ever I needed Your help I need it now. It's easy for me to accept good from Your hand; help me also to accept adversity. Etch these words, not merely into my mind, but into my spirit. In Jesus' Name I ask it. Amen.​

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's Only Words

"Encouraging words well spoken," wrote Solomon, "are like golden apples in silver settings."1

"It's only words and words are all I have to take your heart away." These words are from one of my favorite songs sung by the Bee Gees. Obviously, words can have a powerful effect either for good or for bad, for healing or for hurting, for encouraging or discouraging, or for making others laugh or cry.

With words, we can inspire people and even nations to noble deeds of courage, such as the words Sir Winston Churchill broadcast to spur the British people on to victory when, during World War II, Britain's back was against the wall as she was being bombarded by Germany's relentless air raid attacks. Forty-seven of her warships had been sunk. The Royal Air Force had lost 40 percent of its bomber strength. Britain was on the brink of famine and was facing imminent invasion.

Here's what Churchill said in this hour of great need: "We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on the beaches; we shall fight in the fields; we shall fight in the streets; and we shall fight in the hills. We shall never surrender."2

Or with people such as the Hitlers and the Saddam Husseins of the world, words can be used to motivate people to dastardly deeds of treachery, murder, slaughter, and relentless acts of terrorism.

Most of us, of course, will never be in a position to move multitudes of people, but every single one of us is in a position to make a big difference in the life of at least one person—and in realty, the lives of many people if we are so inclined.

Life is filled with plenty of negatives, setbacks, unkind and hurtful words. And so we all need words of encouragement. Let's not fail to give such a word to at least one person every day whether they are young or old because:

Words spoken
may soon pass away
and forgotten be,
but when expressed
in love and kindness
are like beautiful flowers,
and even though
they fade and die
from conscious memory,
Their fragrance lives on
embedded in the
deeper mind –
forever.3

© Dick Innes

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, please help me to have a loving heart, keeping in mind that 'out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.' Please use me and the words I speak to encourage a fellow struggler along the way . . . and especially to encourage, motivate, and inspire my loved ones at home. Thank you for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cognitive Dissonance

"Temptation is the pull of man's own evil thoughts and wishes … [that will] lead to evil actions."1

Did you ever stop to think that what the mind dwells on the body acts on!

Consider, for example, how temptation works. A thought comes to mind from seemingly nowhere—maybe from ourselves or from the tempter. We choose (mostly unconsciously) to harbor and dwell on that thought and, as we do, it hooks into our emotions, and the more we think about it, the stronger we feel about it. Then we begin to visualize in our mind what we want to do and then, unless we make a conscious choice to stop thinking about it, we give in to the temptation.

The battle is won or lost in the mind before we ever act out the temptation.

One of many dangers in continually giving in to temptation is, as another has pointed out: "If we don't live the life we believe, we will end up unhappily believing the life we live."

We do this because as long as we don't consistently live the life we believe, our mind experiences what is called "cognitive dissonance"; that is, mental disharmony. Because we can't tolerate this mental conflict, we can end up changing our beliefs to match our behavior and rationalize everything we do—a dangerous path to follow. The Bible calls the consequence having a dead conscience.2

In other words, "If we don't live the life we believe, we will end up unhappily believing the life we live"—a dangerous and self-destructive way to live.

No wonder the Bible teaches us to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."3 And, "…whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."4

When I am battling a temptation, I like to pray, "Jesus help" or "Holy Spirit help." When I am consistent with this prayer and truly mean it, soon the tempting thoughts leave my mind. This is a simple way to "take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ."

Suggested prayer: "Dear God, help me to guard against harboring negative thoughts that could lead me into temptation and sin. Help me to remember to look to You for Your help, and to dwell on positive and wholesome thoughts that will lead to positive and wholesome living. Thank You for hearing and answering my prayer. Gratefully, in Jesus' name, amen."

RiverOL

Alfrescian
Loyal
The Agony of God
For reading & meditation - Isaiah 53
"... he ... carried our sorrows, yet we considered him stricken by God, smitten by him, and afflicted." (v. 4)
Dr. E. Stanley Jones said: "Christianity is the only religion that dares ask its followers to accept suffering as a gift from God, because it is the only religion that dares say God too has suffered." Surely it must mean something to us, as Christians, to know that though living in this world is costing us pain, it is costing God more.​
But how much has God suffered? Some Christians think that the full extent of God's sufferings were the hours in which He watched His Son die upon the cross, but it means much more than that. TheBible tells us that Christ was "the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world" (Rev. 13:8, KJV). That means that there was a cross set up in the heart of God long before there was a cross set up on the hill of Calvary.​

God's sufferings began at the moment He planned the universe, and tugged at His heartstrings from the moment that He laid the foundations of the world. The pain of the cross must have pierced right through Him as He waited for that awful moment when His Son would die on Calvary. How long did He wait? Centuries? Millennia! Then finally it came - the awful screaming agony of crucifixion. Was this the end? No. Now His sufferings continue in the world's rejection of His Son, and in the indifference of His children. So doesn?t it mean something, even everything, to know that, though living in this world is costing us pain, it is costing God more? I find this thought deeply comforting. I pray that you will too.
Prayer: Father, I realize that now I am looking into the heart of the deepest mystery of the universe - Your sacrificial love. Help me to understand this fully, for when I see this I see everything. Amen.​