• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

In Memory of A Friend and Those Who Died in Tiananmen Square on June 4 1989....

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
It will be exactly 30 years
tomorrow
(June 4 2019)

Rest in peace.

latest

What does Tiananmen mean for Chinese too young to remember it?

washingtonpost.com

J5OOPWEDWYI6TNMF4NVRNJJRVI.jpg

People wait for the daily flag-raising ceremony in Tiananmen Square near Beijing’s Great Hall of the People. (Fred Dufour/AFP/Getty Images)

What do the Chinese youths of today know about the deadly crackdown on protesters in Tiananmen Square in 1989? What do they think about their generation’s prospects for making change?

We asked five 20-somethings about what they want for their country’s future.
We have preserved their anonymity to avoid placing them in jeopardy with China’s security services.

I was a good student at high school and very curious about the world and about history and politics. When I was about 15 or 16, I got curious about Tiananmen, so I searched Wikipedia and watched an American film about it. At first, I was so angry. I thought: Why am I only finding out about this now?

Among my friends — we belong to the group of so-called elite students — everyone knows about this. My father’s generation, of course, everyone knows about this. But people born after 2000 don’t know about this at all. The Internet is much more controlled for them than it was when I was a teenager.

Since 2013, I’ve been losing hope. We can’t find a way to make China better and more democratic. I feel so frustrated with my history. Even at my age, it’s so hard to bear it. We carry the burden of political and psychological repression. I even have to hide my political thoughts from my parents.

In 1989, people didn’t know about the dangers of going out onto the streets. They didn’t think their government would use bullets against them. But today, people who know about the incident know about the dangers.

Undergraduate student and member of the Communist Youth League, 22

The June 4 student protesters in 1989 were largely patriotic in the beginning. They wanted China to improve, but they were manipulated by Western powers due to their political naivete. You can demand change, but you shouldn’t cross that bottom line — the absolute leadership of the Communist Party. Every student movement needs to lay down some principles and stick to them. If not, the sacrifices you make will only end in ruin.

You cannot talk about democracy outside the context of class struggle, or you risk falling for the Westerners’ trick of democracy, which is a game for the wealthy.
I admit that there are some problems with China’s current governance, but we don’t have an alternative political force as capable and efficient as the Communist Party to run things and unite a country of 1.4 billion people. The biggest problem right now is that some people don’t have enough confidence or faith in the party, which has led to political confusion and thus made President Xi’s campaign for greater ideological control all the more relevant.

In general, the society is moving in the right direction. I think China will be better and stronger if we only “remain true to our original aspiration,” just like what Xi likes to say. Given the chance, I would love to join the Communist Party myself.

Ever since I was a child, I’ve been told by my parents to be careful when speaking in public. Once when we were walking down the street, when I was 14 or 15, I told my father I was going to burn Mao’s portrait. We had been learning about Mao and the Cultural Revolution at school. My father punched me and hit me with a stick. He wanted to make me learn that I couldn’t say things like this outside the house.
If I’d been a student in 1989, I would have protested like they did. But now we understand the consequences, and I understand the gap between my power and the army’s power.

Maybe we can have partial democracy. We are at zero now, but we don’t need to go straight to 100. I’d be okay with not voting for our president. But maybe we could vote for our mayors. We could just have more openness.

I’m optimistic about the economy but not about human rights or freedom of speech. That’s getting worse and worse. I know what the technology can do now, so I know there’s never going to be another June 4 in China. It’s impossible with all the IT and surveillance systems. They can nip any protest in the bud.

Undergraduate student, 25

In high school, the kind of history we learned from books was about the Cultural Revolution and things like that. Then one day, my friend sent me an electronic book about June 4. We talked about it after that. But for me, it’s just another crazy part of Chinese history that happened before I was born, like the Cultural Revolution.

You can’t get any information about these events when you’re in high school or university. Maybe a teacher would very implicitly refer to 1989, but it’s a dangerous thing to do. The prohibitions are more and more strict and the censorship more and more high tech. It’s just become a habit not to mention it now.

The events of 1989 could never happen again now. It would be stopped before it even got started.

I don’t think there will be any kind of democracy in China. We just have to grab little bits here and there. We can try to expand what the press can do and enlarge our limited freedoms a bit. Maybe they can allow NGOs or we can improve women’s rights or workers’ rights or the situation of minorities. But it’s difficult because all of this is highly dangerous in China.

Freelance culture writer, 29

The first time I heard about the Tiananmen Incident was from an elementary school teacher, who would talk all the time to other teachers about some friends of hers who had been killed in that movement. If one of us did something wrong, this emotionally unstable teacher would reprimand us by saying that “if you go on misbehaving, you will sooner or later be crushed by tanks like my friends!” Later, I read banned books about what happened and met someone on the Internet who had been a protest leader at the time.

Compared with the years leading up to June 4, 1989, I actually think freedom and liberty is more readily available today in China. However strict the censorship might be, it can never catch up with technological progress and fully block the information flow. This kind of empowers the people, but not enough to create any radical changes.

Today, Chinese millennials generally show an apathy to politics because deep down we fear [what happened to the protesters would happen to us] and don’t dare confront the ruling party. We are a more selfish generation, which can be both a good and bad thing. My biggest hope is to live to see a spiritual leader that helps restore the backbone, the strength of courage this nation lost in the 1989 catastrophe.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Ah tiongs don't even give a shit about this. N due to this problems heaps of ah tiongs overseas got permanent residency in ang mor lands. So it was basically stepping on others to get ahead...

carnage

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must slaughter one!

If not will be alike fucking French Yellow Vest, whole EU fucked not just France.

Ang4MohTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Must slaughter one!

If not will be alike fucking French Yellow Vest, whole EU fucked not just France.

https://www.rt.com/news/460907-mutilated-yellow-vests-march/

March of the mutilated: Injured Yellow Vests protest police brutality in Paris (VIDEO)
Published time: 2 Jun, 2019 19:54 Edited time: 3 Jun, 2019 09:16
Get short URL
5cf41afadda4c83d3c8b45b5.jpg

© AFP / Francois Guillot

Several hundred people have shown up for the ‘march of the mutilated’ in Paris, protesting police brutality and demanding a ban on the weaponry law enforcement uses to control demonstrators.
People gathered in central Paris on Sunday, the day after ‘Act 29’ of the Yellow Vest protests. The demonstrators carried banners, showing injuries – such as lost eyes and limbs – various protesters have received over the past few months and demanding a ban of the ‘less-lethal’ weapons used by police.

All in all, the event was attended by some 300-400 protesters. A group of maimed Yellow Vests were also in attendance, with each one carrying a small placard highlighting the injury they received. “I've lost my sense of smell,” “I've lost my eye at the age of 21,” “I was shot by a LBD in my carotid artery,” read some of the placards.
5cf41916dda4c87c3c8b459b.jpg

© AFP / Francois Guillot
LBD – launcher of defensive balls – is a weapon, commonly known as a ‘flash-ball’, which is used by French law enforcement during riot control operations. While it's advertised as a ‘less-lethal’ device, it shoots a 40-mm rubber ‘bullet’ – a large slug, capable of blowing eyes out, causing fractures and inflicting other serious injuries.

The protesters called to ban such launchers altogether, as well as another police implement – the GLI-F4 grenade – that has also caused many injuries among the Yellow Vests. The GLI-F4 is a so-called “instant tear gas grenade,” that is actually an explosive munition, packing 30 grams of TNT and capable of making a loud bang and releasing a small cloud of tear gas.
5cf41b68fc7e9335378b458b.jpg

Antoine Boudinet takes part in a march against agrochemical giant Bayer-Monsanto in Bordeaux, on May 18, 2019. © Georges Gobet
Picking up such a grenade before detonation is a sure way to lose your hand. One of the protesters, who lost his right hand in a GLI-F4 explosion back in December, Antoine Boudinet, attended the march of maimed Yellow Vests.
“A total prohibition of all these [less-lethal weapons] is what we demand, as well as drastic changes in how the public order is being maintained in France,” Boudinet told RT France.

Some 157 protestors were seriously injured by the aforementioned weaponry, according to anti-police brutality group Desarmons-Les! Among those, 24 people lost an eye, and five others lost a hand. In the six months of protests at least 2,448 demonstrators were lightly or heavily injured, the Interior Ministry said on May 13. However, it was not only Yellow Vests who were hurt, some 1,797 police officers were also injured, according to official data.
Also on rt.com Yellow Vests mutilated by 'sublethal' police weapons form their own anti-brutality association
Subscribe to RT newsletter to get stories the mainstream media won’t tell you.

Follow RT on
Trends:Paris news Yellow Vests news

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Before tiananmen square incident....there was no AliBaba, no Dongfeng Motors, no Huazhu Group, no Shanghai & Beijing like now.
I agree. The students wanted an ideal China like the West. Deng and LiPeng wanted to make sure the communist do not lose political power. Zhao Ziyang became the sacrificial lamb. But nonetheless, it probably shaped a new China with focus on economic growth and advancement in science technology. In 30 years, more than 600 million people are lifted out of poverty and the middle class continue to grow. The economic sucess is a challenge to liberal democracy. Question is for how long?

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree. The students wanted an ideal China like the West. Deng and LiPeng wanted to make sure the communist do not lose political power. Zhao Ziyang became the sacrificial lamb. But nonetheless, it probably shaped a new China with focus on economic growth and advancement in science technology. In 30 years, more than 600 million people are lifted out of poverty and the middle class continue to grow. The economic sucess is a challenge to liberal democracy. Question is for how long?

Once you are in Shanghai Pudong...you would never have imagined yourself in a communist country.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Actually the tian an men square incident made things worse for ah tiong land. And cos of that the conservatives benefitted from the turmoil and the reformers lost out. If Zhao Ziyang remained in power ah tiong land now will be a more open country and its economic development could even b better than now.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Actually the tian an men square incident made things worse for ah tiong land. And cos of that the conservatives benefitted from the turmoil and the reformers lost out. If Zhao Ziyang remained in power ah tiong land now will be a more open country and its economic development could even b better than now.
I believe it could have become India. Majority of population would still stuck in poverty. Not that I agree with what the Commies did to their own people (and a friend of mine), but, it did bring about a lot of chinks out of poverty.

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
I believe it could have become India. Majority of population would still stuck in poverty. Not that I agree with what the Commies did to their own people (and a friend of mine), but, it did bring about a lot of chinks out of poverty.
Sorry about your friend. He paid the ultimate price in the name of democracy and freedom. I respect all who have the guts to go up against an authoritarian regime.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think it will be better. But I think u misunderstand me. I say if these bloody students did not revolt and there was no purge of the reformers. Things would have been different today and I believe it will be better. The students were the ones that bought about the rise of the conservatives like Jiang zemin etc. And another reason why Zhao was purged was he wanted to reform the state sector. Those government companies etc were to be reformed..and that would break the rice bowls of many party officials...that why state sector debt in ah tiong land is soo high and it's a time bomb waiting to explode.

AhMeng

Alfrescian (Inf- Comp)
Asset
Sorry about your friend. He paid the ultimate price in the name of democracy and freedom. I respect all who have the guts to go up against an authoritarian regime.
Looking back, and knowing what he did and what he wanted, it reminds me of Jacques said..."All the world’s a stage, and all the men and women merely players. They have their exits and their entrances..."