• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If your forefathers migrated to SG when it was a colony...

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That one U go take it out with the history books. Qing Dynasty official end is 1911(or 1912 depending on how U look at it)

SG Chinese population during that time only 216K
http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/cs/singapore/sg_appen.html#table2

Chances are the majority of our forefathers came after that. More likely just before Independence and after the World War. My family got here just before the World War.

i think some of us might have ancestors living in malaysia, malacca. Many chinese also came over from malaysia. They most likely would be baba.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from my memories of historybooks

most of our forefathers came to Nanyang to work from 1850 to 1930s.
Migration of Chinese to Nanyang stop when full scale war started between China and Japan in 1937.
The last flow of Chinese migration to Singapore before indepenance ended in 1937.

After 1945, the Chinese nationalist govt made a public plea for all overseas chinese in Nanyang to return home and rebuild the country. Some Chinese in Malaya and Singapore did return to China from 1945-47. In 1947, the Chinese civil war erupted throughout the mainland. Nanyang Chinese faced an anxious wait to see when the war end and they can return home.

After 1949, PRC closed door policy meant that overseas chinese were "stranded" in foreign countries, as years went by, took on citizenship of their adopted countries. Chinese who managed to leave China after 1949 to the late 80s went to Hongkong and from HK to England / United States.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
from my memories of historybooks

most of our forefathers came to Nanyang to work from 1850 to 1930s.
Migration of Chinese to Nanyang stop when full scale war started between China and Japan in 1937.
The last flow of Chinese migration to Singapore before indepenance ended in 1937.

After 1945, the Chinese nationalist govt made a public plea for all overseas chinese in Nanyang to return home and rebuild the country. Some Chinese in Malaya and Singapore did return to China from 1945-47. In 1947, the Chinese civil war erupted throughout the mainland. Nanyang Chinese faced an anxious wait to see when the war end and they can return home.

After 1949, PRC closed door policy meant that overseas chinese were "stranded" in foreign countries, as years went by, took on citizenship of their adopted countries. Chinese who managed to leave China after 1949 to the late 80s went to Hongkong and from HK to England / United States.

yet many of them want to come here and go overseas nowadays