• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If your forefathers migrated to SG when it was a colony...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The issue is not opening the doors but the ability of this country to accommodate the people that they let in without disrupting the lives of its existing residents unfairly. Singapore has always been cosmopolitan in outlook in view of its entrepot origins, has had a sizeable expat community so the issue of xenophobia does not arise.

Even if this country was wholly homogenous in terms of Han Chinese and the Govt decides to double the population by bringing in more chinese fom China without creating the necessary job opportunities and infrastructure, there will be resentment, social displacement and little hope for integration.

Create the job, build the infrastructure etc. and we will line the streets to welcome even martians from Mars. Don't insult the intelligence of Singaporeans by claiming that we are not interested to work, choosy about jobs, no spurs in our hide etc. Its more like poor planning, bad leadership, and a penchant for giving excuses.

Does that mean that you, their descendent, should now also throw open the doors of your new country and allow any Tom, Dick or Harry from your forefathers' land in?

This is the logic claimed by one forummer. Just wanted to see what are the views of other forummers.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess my perspective of it is our forefathers came here to nothing. This country was bare and they contribute to bake this cake up to what it is today. We on the other sacrifice our time and occasionally our blood to defend this piece of cake that they had baked. The main difference why these foreigners are so resented is, they did not have to do nuts and just walk in and demand a piece of the cake.

ermmm.. if these FTs are really good, does the PAP still need to keep on reminding us that they are?? between ipod n zen, do u see ipod keep saying they are good??

people are not blind (except the 66%).. if these FTs are beneficial, u wun be hearing so much complaint from the man in the streets...

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very simple economics. With limited resources in Singapore, foreigner increase the cost and decrease my pay. If pap still tell me they are good for me, i tell them to stop lying.

iamtalkinglah

Alfrescian
Loyal
As for those who take up citizenship, I think we should treat them as the same and not treat "new citizens" as 2nd class

It is easier said then done. My forefathers have given sweat and blood to help build Singapore into where she is now. Therefore I have the privilege to be treated as first class in Singapore.
While I agree that we should welcome new citizens, don’t expect me to treat them like first class immediately. It is only human nature that I don’t trust them and that I am wary of them. Unless for example the new citizens serve NS, only then will I treat them like brothers.
New citizens need to work their ass off to win our trust.

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Our forefathers came to SG to find work, earn money and then look to return home one day.

The communists takeover of China in 1949 resulted in our forefathers stranded in Singapore and Malaya, unable to return home, thus they start to accept Singapore as their new home.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
True, thats a part of history that we all conveniently forgot.
Our forefathers came to SG to find work, earn money and then look to return home one day.

The communists takeover of China in 1949 resulted in our forefathers stranded in Singapore and Malaya, unable to return home, thus they start to accept Singapore as their new home.

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
I only agree with allowing pple who can contribute to the country in if they agree to take up citizenship in the end.

Observations(skip if you are not interested): I am no economist but I think that will depend on market demand. The fact now is we have less then 10% unemployment but 30% of the workforce foreign workers, Translation, if we have 0% unemployment, we still don't have enough workers. Simple math.

Very simplistic outlook indeed. How do you know the employment figures capture all the unemployed? What is the percentage of unemployed who are Sinkies? And do you know what is the figure for underemployment?

If a cleaner earns $800pm 10 years ago and now earns $700pm because of increased competition, there is no rise in unemployment because he is still employed but does that mean that he is better off compared to 10 years ago? According to your logic, we need to import more foreigners to depress his pay further since there is no unemployment.

So now, we are only considering only market forces in determining whether to accept immigrants. Are you also suggesting that there is no need to look at other factors like social and infrastructure issues?

cleareyes

Alfrescian
Loyal
The throwing door opening part to any Tom Dick or Harry, I dun fully agree. I only agree with allowing pple who can contribute to the country in if they agree to take up citizenship in the end. I have said this before, I have serious problems with pple who remain here indefinitely as a PRs.

As for those who take up citizenship, I think we should treat them as the same and not treat "new citizens" as 2nd class

I fully agree with you on this and hence shared the same view.

As a second gneration Singaporean, i have no issue with migrants whop is willing to settle down and take up citizenship. But i dont agree to open the doors to just anyone and i m very much against those who are not willing to settle and commit and only wnat to use singapore as a springboard.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TS said forefathers, not grandfather.. hence my reply.

When our forefathers came here, they weren't looking for a country to settle down. They came to Nanyang, due to the turbulent time in old Cathy ( not the cinema), there was no Republic yet!. The 'birth pains' to a birth of a nation...they came to seek better economy, to make money to send home to feed the family back in the homeland...

The second wave, was after the founding of the republic, 1912 onwards, where warlords rule the land, and then the invasion of China, brought forth animosity & war between the KMT & CCP...spilled millions of Chinese from China to Nanyang ( SEA) & some to California USA...and many places in the world.

Add the bullying of the 'middle kingdom ( later country), by the Europeans..Portuges, Duthch, British....

They came to look for better economic opportunity, to feed hungry mouths in the motherland, and hoping one day to go back, die & bury there.

Many did not, and settle down in Nanyang...and became the subject of the British, the Dutch..the French..still hoping that, they will return to the motherland someday.

We are the product of that stayed, and make this land our home, our SINGAPORE...now SINkingpore...

Shouldn't we natural protect, what is naturally ours?. A dog knows how to mark its territory & fight other dogs who intrude.

SINKingporeans, have lost that spur in the hide, to defend what is theirs...even needing others, to come to Nanyang and oust them from their land...

It is not a case, wether we should be opening our doors to Foreigners...unlike our forefathers or our fatthers who had came here..they did not have a NATION..

We did...WAKE UP SINgkingporeans...:mad:

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal

Exactly, the immigration policies back when Sinkieland was a Straits Settlement were dependent solely on market forces. Yet, this Char lAtan claims we should adopt these same policies now when there is already a large resident population. LKY once said he is happy to import hordes of foreigners even if only 10%? of the immigrants eventually decided to stay permanently.

I guess those Sinkies who agree with the policies are either stupid or they simply view Sinkieland as a place to make their pile. My conclusion is that those who hold the latter view make up the vast majority. After nearly half a century of nation building, it is sad to see that the people have no real attachment to the land and their brethren. It is the only logical explanation for the dominance of the PAP. In some ways, it is uncannily similar to how HKers view HK in the time before the handover.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Guess my perspective of it is our forefathers came here to nothing. This country was bare and they contribute to bake this cake up to what it is today. We on the other sacrifice our time and occasionally our blood to defend this piece of cake that they had baked. The main difference why these foreigners are so resented is, they did not have to do nuts and just walk in and demand a piece of the cake.

many came because of many reasons....depending on last century...

1. Nationalism kena overthrown, many escaped communist rule.
2. Many escape poverty and joblessness because Mao F*cked up in agricultural planning.
3. Many escape the confiscation of wealth by the communist rule.
4. Escape from persecution from cultural revolutions!
5. Escape from Japanese invasion of CHINA.

mostly are personal reasons...

not because of high ideals like exploring the world or helping in economic development for south east asians countries....etc...:biggrin:

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal

As a second gneration Singaporean, i have no issue with migrants whop is willing to settle down and take up citizenship. But i dont agree to open the doors to just anyone and i m very much against those who are not willing to settle and commit and only wnat to use singapore as a springboard.

And I suppose there was some kind of entity in those colonial days that determined who were those who were willing to settle down permanently?

If not, how the fuck does his grandfather migrating here then have any bearing on how we should accept immigrants now?

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal

how can you be so shallow....

and judge people because of their preference to stay or not? it is their life, who gives you the right to comment on their decisions to stay or not?

when they are staying they have contributed to the economy more or less by doing what they do best and paid taxes.

don't they deserved better recognition than those who has never paid a single tax in SGP? :biggrin:

foreign workers build houses for you to stay but they have to return home because their work permit expired...

tell me, have you ever shown respects give them a sense of appreciation to them?

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
They came to look for better economic opportunity, to feed hungry mouths in the motherland, and hoping one day to go back, die & bury there.

Many did not, and settle down in Nanyang...and became the subject of the British, the Dutch..the French..still hoping that, they will return to the motherland someday.

We are the product of that stayed, and make this land our home, our SINGAPORE...now SINkingpore...

Shouldn't we natural protect, what is naturally ours?. A dog knows how to mark its territory & fight other dogs who intrude.

SINKingporeans, have lost that spur in the hide, to defend what is theirs...even needing others, to come to Nanyang and oust them from their land...

It is not a case, wether we should be opening our doors to Foreigners...unlike our forefathers or our fatthers who had came here..they did not have a NATION..

We did...WAKE UP SINgkingporeans...:mad:

Agree. Yet there are still many idiots who want Sinkieland to remain an immigrant nation. I suppose the benefits they are reaping are just too attractive as opposed to forging a shared identity and caring for our own countrymen first.

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. Yet there are still many idiots who want Sinkieland to remain an immigrant nation. I suppose the benefits they are reaping are just too attractive as opposed to forging a shared identity and caring for our own countrymen first.

the greed of lower costs cheap workers are too attractive for the MIWs to ignore..

why? they all kowtow to MNCs...for SGP INC!!

SGP as a nation? what nation when half of the population are foreigners? :biggrin:

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Very simplistic outlook indeed. How do you know the employment figures capture all the unemployed? What is the percentage of unemployed who are Sinkies? And do you know what is the figure for underemployment?

The percentage of unemployment in SG is that of Residents not including FTs. The current unemployment rate stands at only 3.2%(as of Sept 2009). Even if in the worse case scenario that all unemployed are citizens. if we chase all FTs out of the country we are still short of a whole lot of workers. How do U expect us to make up that shortfall without FTs?

If a cleaner earns $800pm 10 years ago and now earns $700pm because of increased competition, there is no rise in unemployment because he is still employed but does that mean that he is better off compared to 10 years ago? According to your logic, we need to import more foreigners to depress his pay further since there is no unemployment.

And which part of my logic or anything I said ever said that we need to depress their wages more so we import more FTs. I said we need to import FTs to make up the numbers, I never mentioned that we need to import FTs so that they can depress our wages. Please do not twist what I said.

So now, we are only considering only market forces in determining whether to accept immigrants. Are you also suggesting that there is no need to look at other factors like social and infrastructure issues?

Economy is and will always be the first to be considered. Like it or not, governments in any part of the world, even in the West where they pretend to value freedom more then money, will not get re-elected if they screw up the economy. It is sad but true however I agree we need to consider social and infrastructure issues.

Regarding infrastructure issues, we don't really face any serious issues. Quite frankly speaking, our traffic, public transport and housing issues has so far been adequate in handling the population. Yes I know there is less space in Buses/MRTs nowadays however these issues are nothing compared to just about every major city of comparable size, KL, Bangkok, Tokyo, London, Paris, Seoul, etc. Our public transport generally still does not face too much issue keeping the public moving. I can name U lots of things wrong with their infrastructure systems. Japan needs train packers, Seoul is one of the densest place on the planet and comparative housing cost a lot worse then us. Good luck trying to drive anywhere in Paris, KL and Bangkok, London Tube close down entire lines almost on a weekly basis. Our issues are nothing compared to them

The fact is that
1)we are a nation of immigrants
2)since founding in 1819 to this very day, immigrants have never stopped coming in
3)the rate of new immigrants coming into SG is not that significantly different today as compared to pre independent yrs. In fact the only time that we did not see any significant population growth was during the the late 70s and throughout the 80s.

So it is fair for one to assume that we should be able to accept migrants better then most other nations. due to all this factors. This of coz is not very much the case in SG

The fact is, like it or not, we need these pple to make sure the economy does not collapse, there is no ifs and buts about it. If U want to blame someone, blame PAP for their stop at 2 policy. Its the main reason why we now face a manpower shortage.

And if its any consolation, the migration rate for the last 5 years have actually gone down

Year Net migration rate (migrant(s)/1,000 population)
2000 26.8
2001 26.45
2002 26.11
2003 25.76
2004 11.53
2005 10.3
2006 9.12
2007 7.98
2008 6.88
2009 5.82

http://www.indexmundi.com/g/g.aspx?c=sn&v=27

yuelao

Alfrescian
Loyal
Lol, very long-winded reply. Not very bright, are you? Just because you can write lines of nonsense for your replies does not make them right. If your teachers know you write such replies, they would probably drop dead from shame. You must really enjoy talking down to uneducated peasants. I don't even know where to begin as your reply is one long ramble full of BS.

The percentage of unemployment in SG ... (BS snipped)

I will just have to focus in general on what you have said.

Firstly, you said that immigration policies need to be based on the economy and you said that you are no economist, yet you tried to spew as much BS as you can. The economy, in particular the labour market segment which we are talking about here, is not just determined by employment figures. Any self-respecting economist would take a deeper look at what the figures are composed of and take them into consideration with other factors like whether the real income level is rising or falling. High unemployment is just one aspect of a screwed-up economy. You can screw up an economy as well if real wages are falling drastically even though there may be full employment, as what happens when there is hyper-inflation.

I have never said anything about depressing wages. You were the first one to bring this up. I was pointing out that low unemployment does not mean that people's lives are improving or at least maintained at the same standard. And it certainly doesn't mean that there is a lack of workers. It may just mean that people are resigned to lowering their expectations and accepting lower salaries. This is an especially crucial consideration since SG is not exactly your generous welfare state.

Why do we need to compare infrastructure issues with other cities? What matters is what the citizens feel with regards to their comfort. If they feel it is inadequate, it is inadequate, period. No need to tell them to compare with elsewhere. It is the people of SG who vote the SG government in, not the people in other countries. So if they are unhappy, they certainly do not need to compare with other countries before questioning the government.

Lastly, the pertinent question I am putting to you is how does your grandfather migrating to SG have any bearing on how we should draft our immigration policies? You are certainly very evasive, trying to hide the lack of an answer in your verbose reply.

Any sane Sinkie will tell you that he couldn't care less whatever your grandfather did in those days. Doesn't matter what is the topic we are discussing except maybe why you are so dense.