• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

If you think living expenses is expensive in Singapore try Sydney.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is true that Sydney is more expensive than Sinkie Land. I was there in December 2012 and a 3-station ride in their MRT costs A$3.80 (S$4.50).

Bro winners,

It never fail to amaze me to find brothers bitching about the "expensive" Sydney. :( :o

In the case of your transport fare of A$3.80, have you considered that S$1.1 billion approved by the ParLEEment to fund the transport operators in Singapore? :confused: :*:

From where this S$1.1 billion come from??? :eek: :mad:

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The personal solution to high standard of living in any place is, find more money - don't stay stagnant keep looking for opportunities and I am very sure one can find it. But please NEVER gamble, not even lottery or stock market because this is an addiction, invest yes. If the next guy to you can make it why not you?

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
There are also many free bus services in the various councils as well.

Bro Ash,

How are you? Long time no chat. :smile:

Wow, free bus services in the various councils? Randwick City no haf. :o :(

BTW, I found that KTV in Ashfield. It is opposite that Taste of Shanghai, Ashfield Store, Liverpool Road. Also slightly opposite Ashfield City Council. :biggrin:

Hey, why don't you tell folks here more about your new freehold home @ Bridge Crossings i.e. how many rooms, land size, etc and how much it cost? :rolleyes: :wink:

Also tell them how much your "drive till you don't want to drive" Mini cost you. :biggrin: :eek:

They may begin to understand that the savings in these two big ticket items can get you a long long way in this very "expensive" Sydney city. :eek: :rolleyes:

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Overall to me, Australia is just for visiting but not for permanent residence unless you can get citizenship. I have to admit that most daily essentials (except cars) are more expensive than in Sinkie Land. I've been to Perth, Brisbane, Queensland, Sydney and Melbourne, but still don't find them suitable for me. Another dislike is the racial discrimination. I'd personally experienced this myself, even as a tourist.

Bro winners,

It is not true that most daily essentials (except cars) are more expensive than in Sinkie Land. You probably form this opinion because you may not know the various lobangs in Australia. :rolleyes: :eek:

Like they said, a picture is worth a thousand words. From two different stores in my neighbourhood. :wink: :smile:

DSC02141.JPG

DSC02140.JPG

kongkek

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is true that Sydney is more expensive than Sinkie Land. I was there in December 2012 and a 3-station ride in their MRT costs A$3.80 (S$4.50). However, one has to note that their nominal salaries on average are much higher than Sinkies. Also, they have extremely good welfare support. In fact, if you have 3 children, the total grants and benefits from the government is even sufficient to cover the family expenses on a conservative living.
would that relate to more income tax?

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro winners,

It is not true that most daily essentials (except cars) are more expensive than in Sinkie Land. You probably form this opinion because you may not know the various lobangs in Australia. :rolleyes: :eek:

Like they said, a picture is worth a thousand words. From two different stores in my neighbourhood. :wink: :smile:

View attachment 9079

View attachment 9080

Even at the rate of 3 bundles for A$2 (=S$2.55), I will say they are still expensive compared to those in the GIANT Supermarket in S'pore. Furthermore, the bundle size is also similar.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal

yup. up to 44.9% for above $180k in oz.

singapore is 20% for above $320k

depends on trade off. i' more for lower income tax. i don't want my income tax money subsidise other people's slackness, health problems, homelessness coz of losing house over bad investments.

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal

At least (currently) their income tax is being put to good use by supporting a good welfare for their lower and middle class. That is why I had said that it's good to be their citizen, but not permanent residence since the latter is entitled to much lesser benefits.

The PAPies on the other hand may not tax the individual as much, but there are so many INDIRECT taxes. eg: COE (a real killer because I just can't imagine paying S$98k for a 10-year lease paper), petrol tax, 120% ARF for vehicles, very high road tax, etc. By the way, the Aussies are also catching fast in learning from the PAPies. They are also implementing whole day and evening ERPs. I think eventually, they may also implement a lot of these INDIRECT taxes which they had picked up from the PAPies.

Last edited:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro winners,

It never fail to amaze me to find brothers bitching about the "expensive" Sydney. :( :o

In the case of your transport fare of A$3.80, have you considered that S$1.1 billion approved by the ParLEEment to fund the transport operators in Singapore? :confused: :*:

This opinion is not only from me. I was at their Coles Supermarket in Melbourne and met a Malaysian at the cashier. He had also admitted that the cost of daily essentials in Australia is very high and he's been staying in Australia for 3 years already.

The S$1.1b for the 2 transport companies in Sinkie Land is just a disguise to deceive the daft Sinkies. At the end of the day, ask yourself who owns the majority shares in those 2 companies?

LeMans2011

Alfrescian
Loyal
Problem w sydney is, its so inconvenient. The transport cost is so high n you have to travel so far to get anywhere. One bowl of noodle costs ten bucks or more n no shops at night, so sian.
Plus tax can be 50 percent.
I still prefer singapore any time. Will migrate to canberra ten years from now.

You planning to migrate to Canberra? I'm afraid all dogs need to go through a one year quarantine, can you survive?

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least (currently) their income tax is being put to good use by supporting a good welfare for their lower and middle class. That is why I had said that it's good to be their citizen, but not permanent residence since the latter is entitled to much lesser benefits.

The PAPies on the other hand may not tax the individual as much, but there are so many INDIRECT taxes. eg: COE (a real killer because I just can't imagine paying S$98k for a 10-year lease paper), petrol tax, 120% ARF for vehicles, very high road tax, etc. By the way, the Aussies are also catching fast in learning from the PAPies. They are also implementing whole day and evening ERPs. I think eventually, they may also implement a lot of these INDIRECT taxes which they had picked up from the PAPies.

true on indirect taxes. more comprehensive in tekaning everyone compared to personal income tax. indirect taxes usually more regressive some more e.g. vat/gst, coe, erp. that said, australia gst also high compared to singapore - 10%? but much lower than viking countries.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Even at the rate of 3 bundles for A$2 (=S$2.55), I will say they are still expensive compared to those in the GIANT Supermarket in S'pore. Furthermore, the bundle size is also similar.

Bro winners,

I have no idea about GIANT Supermarket in Singapore. But whenever I visited NTUC when I am back, I find the vege in NTUC not only more expensive but also of inferior quality. :o :(

BTW, you walk to GIANT? Here I am talking about my neighbourhood stores. I am not even talking about the Parramatta Rd, Flemington Market. Can you get a box of sweet, juicy and seedless navel oranges (about 50 BIG oranges) for A$10in Singapore? You cannot get anything cheaper than those you find in the farmer's market epecially when it is in season - just like cherry now. Woolies is selling big juicy cherries at A$10.98 per kg. This is not even farmer's market price. Can GIANT match? :confused: :*:

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
true on indirect taxes. more comprehensive in tekaning everyone compared to personal income tax. indirect taxes usually more regressive some more e.g. vat/gst, coe, erp. that said, australia gst also high compared to singapore - 10%? but much lower than viking countries.

The COE and ERP are heavy burdens and add on too much additional costs for the business operators. At the end of the day, these additional costs will be passed on to the consumers. That is why when I get daft Sinkies saying, COE up nevermind, I'm not driving anyway. But do they realize that they are also paying more for their needs indirectly? Who is providing the transportation of the goods from the warehouse to the supermarkets? ERPs are also chargeable on public buses.

valiant20

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cost of living is high comig from that Malaysian cashier, probably cause he eats out a lot?
Labour costs is high here, no arguements about that. BUT

Prices seen over the past few weeks(south eastern suburbs of melborne)
Broccoli $2.99/kg @ green grocer
Bok Choy 4 bunches for $2 @ springvale
Skinless chicken drumsticks 2kg @$11 (approx $16 pcs)
White promfet 600grams $7 @ Dandy market
Good quality white button mushrooms 5.99/kg @ Aldi
Etc etc etc

Petrol, car, property cheaper

Interest Rates HIGHER than sg (good for savings, bad for loans)

Aud$ stronger resulting in Sydney being above sg, as survey used New York US$ as base indicator

winners

Alfrescian
Loyal
Bro winners,

I have no idea about GIANT Supermarket in Singapore. But whenever I visited NTUC when I am back, I find the vege in NTUC not only more expensive but also of inferior quality. :o :(

BTW, you walk to GIANT? Here I am talking about my neighbourhood stores. I am not even talking about the Parramatta Rd, Flemington Market. Can you get a box of sweet, juicy and seedless navel oranges (about 50 BIG oranges) for A$10in Singapore? You cannot get anything cheaper than those you find in the farmer's market epecially when it is in season - just like cherry now. Woolies is selling big juicy cherries at A$10.98 per kg. This is not even farmer's market price. Can GIANT match? :confused: :*:

Well, when I was last at the Melbourne’s Queen Victoria Market, I find the majority of their fruits and vegetables there being more expensive or at most equivalent (for some) to those in Sinkie Land. Imagine A$4 (=S$5.10) for a medium sized papaya. Furthermore, this is where most locals go to for their needs, not exactly a tourist hot-spot.

My ex-neighbor whose son-in-law was working under SingTel and stationed in Perth, also complained that majority of daily and marketing needs are more expensive in Perth than in Singapore.

Last edited:

OldFart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Bro winners,

I like fresh vegetables

Last edited:

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This opinion is not only from me. I was at their Coles Supermarket in Melbourne and met a Malaysian at the cashier. He had also admitted that the cost of daily essentials in Australia is very high and he's been staying in Australia for 3 years already.

The S$1.1b for the 2 transport companies in Sinkie Land is just a disguise to deceive the daft Sinkies. At the end of the day, ask yourself who owns the majority shares in those 2 companies?

Bro winners,

Thanks to agreeing with that S$1.1b costing. Singaporeans are unwittingly paying for that. It is part of the transport fare. :mad:

As for the cost of living in Sydney, perhaps your Malaysian friend feels that way. I am not sure of his background. So I cannot comment. Most cashiers are part timers i.e. causal - likely to be students or those looking for work in between break. If he is on causal work, of course it is deemed expensive on a relative sense, even though the minimum wage here is A$15.51 an hour, considering he needs to pay rent and other expenses too. :rolleyes: :wink:

What I can comment is that a normal working PMET in Australia can live it up in style. So do tradies i.e. plumbers, carpenters, electricians etc etc - those blue collars. They all can live it up in style. Take a look at Ash's posting below again. He is a young professional, just gotten a new home in Sydney and a new born recently. :wink: :smile:

Singapore is ranked 6th, while in Sydney its 3rd behind Tokyo and Osaka. Bros in Singapore should stop KpKb about living expenses in Singapore. I can afford to drive a BMW and live in a landed property on a median wage while supporting a family at the same time. So Singapore can't be that bad.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

this is where i have to cum in to defend the sg system. the money is collected from taxpayers just like many cuntries in the west do to help subsidize cost per rider-mile of public transport and fund transport infrastructure. but unlike many public transport systems in the west, the sg system is not plagued with escalating labor cost and the constant prospect of literally going under, jeopardizing the public means of cheap available transport, jobs/livelihoods of hundreds of thousands of workers, and possible shutdown, loss of production or relocation of plants and factories due to mass absentia. public systems in the west are monopolized by union labor, and they are also additionally funded by taxpayers' money. the tax-based funding in the west will put the sg system to shame. politicians, in order to secure votes from the unions, will ensure the perpetual loss-making funding of buses, trains, subways and light rails. a typical bus driver in sf makes usd60k a year plus overtime pay of the same amount. total: usd120k. they ranked tops among municipal workers in the country. and are they professional and well trained, even with such good pay? nope. (they have run over, killed and maimed several pedestrians, drivers and cyclists.) the most tragic, gruesome and saddest episode was that of 23-year old emily dunn. she was run over by a turning bus while crossing at the crosswalk with the pedestrian light on. the driver was never charged for vehicular manslaughter or negligence. the driver is a union worker (and so are all of them), and they receive extra political and legal protection. a ride on bart will cost you usd5 easily and another usd1 for parking. it's distance-based, and the longest route will cost you close to usd10. it takes 10 years to plan the next station, 2 years to do the engineering and design for one fecking station, 3 years to clear zoning, right of way and indian burial grounds, and another 6 years to build it. and every station expansion has to be put into the ballot for voting by residents of the city impacted, as it impacts quiet and peace of homes, disruption to traffic and roadways, real estate values, scenic views and environment, and most important of all....the wallet. yes, it will cost the taxpayer additional "special" taxes or "measures" that will typically run a period of 15 to 30 years. those fuckwits don't even have savings or an accumulated reserve fund for expansions and/or emergency spending. every freaking cent that goes into the system, they will outspend it in nanoseconds. :*:

kiwibird7

Alfrescian
Loyal
Australians can move to any other city over the whole of Australia or even to NZ to look for cheaper housing and lower cost of living. Singaporeans are confined to little RED DOT faced with more or less the same high cost of COE, ERP, sky high property price and expensive healthcare etc. Even the dead Sinkes cannot have their ashes RIP for too long in Singapore.

Busfare expensive in Australia! Well at least Aussies won't have to pay $100,000 just to get an entitlement to go buy and 'own' a car for only 10 years!

Those Sinkies who complained that Papayas are expensive in Australia are RETARDS that forgot the Papaya is a tropical fruit and that there are many other fruit options that are cheaper in Australia depending on the seasons. Australian apples & oranges definitely cannot be cheaper in Singapore who imports every fruit than in Australia who produces and exports all sorts of fruit.

blur sotong

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cost of living is high comig from that Malaysian cashier, probably cause he eats out a lot?
Labour costs is high here, no arguements about that. BUT

Prices seen over the past few weeks(south eastern suburbs of melborne)
Broccoli $2.99/kg @ green grocer
Bok Choy 4 bunches for $2 @ springvale
Skinless chicken drumsticks 2kg @$11 (approx $16 pcs)
White promfet 600grams $7 @ Dandy market
Good quality white button mushrooms 5.99/kg @ Aldi
Etc etc etc

Petrol, car, property cheaper

Interest Rates HIGHER than sg (good for savings, bad for loans)

Aud$ stronger resulting in Sydney being above sg, as survey used New York US$ as base indicator

Thank you Bro valiant20,

Yes, Aldi prices are generally cheaper than Coles or Woolies. :wink:

When Aldi product is on promotion, then it will be really cheap. :smile:

Whole chicken - A$3.49 per kg :eek: :smile:
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/product_range/2744_25036.htm
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/product_range/realreductions.htm