• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I was kicked out of a gym for ‘staring’ at a woman — even though I’m blind

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was kicked out of a gym for ‘staring’ at a woman — even though I’m blind​

By
Emily Lefroy
June 19, 2023 5:19pm
Updated

NYPICHPDPICT000012917498.png

Toby Addison, 21, recalled the mortifying moment years prior when he was kicked out of the gym for “creepily” staring at a woman — despite the fact he cannot see — while on the “Happy Hour Podcast” earlier in June.

Addison, who shares his life as a blind person on his TikTok account, @blindtobes, said he was “minding his own business” during a workout when he heard a woman say: “Oh, do you like the view?”

“Obviously I don’t really know where I’m looking a lot of the time,” the content creator shared on the podcast. “I was just staring right ahead and unfortunately there was a woman doing some exercises.”

The psychology and counseling student was shocked when he realized she had come over to talk to him, adding that he obviously didn’t know what kind of exercises she was doing.

“I didn’t know she was talking to me at first because [I wasn’t] doing anything wrong, ” Addison, who lives in Chichester, England, admitted. “She said something along the lines of: ‘Why do you keep staring at me. Stop, don’t be so creepy.'”

Addison, who had his cane folded up nearby, said he immediately told her he was blind — but she “wasn’t having any of it.”

NYPICHPDPICT000012917564.jpg

NYPICHPDPICT000012917493.jpg

“There’s a bit of a culture around [catching] out gym creeps,” Addison acknowledged.

The active gym-goer knows his eyes tend to “stare into the distance” sometimes when he’s concentrating on something, hence why the woman probably thought he was staring.

“I don’t really know where I am looking a lot of the time unless I am talking to someone like I know that I’m talking to you so I am trying to look in your direction,” he said.

Addison said the woman told him to “shut up” then went and got the manager who asked him to leave.

Thankfully, he was a guest of a friend at the gym that day — and said he has a “good relationship” with the staff at his current gym.

In a TikTok video, Addison said he understood why the woman would have wanted to call him out for making her feel uncomfortable, he wishes she had tried to be more understanding of his situation.

“It’s so sad that some women feel uncomfortable or anxious when in the gym because of a small percentage of people who have acted inappropriately,” he said. “It’s also really sad that awareness around disabilities just isn’t good enough at the minute, and when you mix the two together you make situations like I described way more likely to occur.”

Source:https://nypost.com/2023/06/19/i-was-thrown-out-of-a-gym-for-staring-even-though-im-blind/