• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I Tried Living On Only $10.40 A Day

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
Imagine living on only $10.40 a day – that’s the reality for approximately 500,000 people in Singapore. According to The Department of Statistics, the amount needed for basic living expenses is estimated at $1,250 per month, per household. In 2011, 10 to 12% of households fall under this level.

I decided to try for myself if living on $10.40 a day would be manageable, and decided to limit my expenses for a week.

Before I embarked on this journey, I looked through my camera roll, Instagram feed and monthly reviews from Wally, the personal finance app I’ve been using for a reality check of my current expenditure.

It turns out that in 2017, I had spent a total of $4,125.95, with 54% spent on food and drinks. Scrolling through the list, I noticed that a good deal of my money had been exchanged for truffle fries and other food items from various cafés.

On hindsight, it seems ridiculous to spend $25 to $30 on a casual meal when there are so many affordable and tasty options around.

More at https://www.yp.sg/i-tried-living-on-only-10-40-a-day/

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$1.50 fried bee hoon plain....50cts glass of hot water, add your own 3-in one, Break fast $2.00, $2 chicken rice with $1.60 drinks..dinner cai png 2 veg one meat can get for $3.00, one more drink $1.60...balance 20 cents.

You do that for 26 working days... you save $5.20.. ha ha ha ha....that is the barest minimum...no tapping away on your smartphone for twiter, FB...etc..

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say he know many tam chia ter nao sinkie that is living on negative dollar per day so can live on $10.40 consider good lo.

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
You see it is proven that poor people are not doing so badly after all. In fact I think we should do this for one month every year, to remember Ah Gong and learn the value of thrift! :smile:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
$10.40 per day I assume does not include transportation and lodging? How about mobile?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
$10.40 per day I assume does not include transportation and lodging? How about mobile?
don't go anywhere too remote. just cycle to nearest park for exercise, collect cardboards as a bonus, and see bangla khalwat with pinay for entertainment. have only 2.69 meals a day: kopi and kaya toast at kopitiam in the morning ($3), mee siam mai hum for lunch ($3) and kembang kurry over lice for dinner ($4). $10 total per day. and wait for kingdom kum when sick. no need see doctor.

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
don't go anywhere too remote. just cycle to nearest park for exercise, collect cardboards as a bonus, and see bangla khalwat with pinay for entertainment. have only 2.69 meals a day: kopi and kaya toast at kopitiam in the morning ($3), mee siam mai hum for lunch ($3) and kembang kurry over lice for dinner ($4). $10 total per day. and wait for kingdom kum when sick. no need see doctor.

Makan no water? Water BYO?

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Makan no water? Water BYO?
get soupy meals to skip sugary drinks. otherwise, drink beer from dehydration backpack. it cums with a drinking tube. i always carry one around. :p
flyye_edc_hydration_backpack_black_1a.jpg

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

That does not include transportation, not even O?bike! or OfO or? just bus service ' lumber eleven' , limited mobile calls, no contribution to tobacco & liquor taxes, no contribution to that 'charity' called Singapore pools...$10.40 a day, say 31 days, $322 + per month..can survive on eating...not to add, electricity bill, water bill...have to sleep in void decks, maybe changi terminal 1-3, pay entrance fees, bathe in swimming complex...pang sai shopping centers, pee in coffee shops etc.

Can survive lah! ha ha ha

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
That does not include transportation, not even O?bike! or OfO or? just bus service ' lumber eleven' , limited mobile calls, no contribution to tobacco & liquor taxes, no contribution to that 'charity' called Singapore pools...$10.40 a day, say 31 days, $322 + per month..can survive on eating...not to add, electricity bill, water bill...have to sleep in void decks, maybe changi terminal 1-3, pay entrance fees, bathe in swimming complex...pang sai shopping centers, pee in coffee shops etc.

Can survive lah! ha ha ha

So it’s just like some PAP fucktart say $1000 salary can buy HDB

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So it’s just like some PAP fucktart say $1000 salary can buy HDB

You believe those Fake News? Can, if you wear leaves to cover your, "you know where, front & back' for men, plus coconnut shells for the top for women, cannot find coconut shells, can cut those 1.6 ltr coca cola bottles use the top parts...$1000 can buy a HDB!!...mana ada problem?..boleh!..可又!! maari!...Yes you can!.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
You believe those Fake News? Can, if you wear leaves to cover your, "you know where, front & back' for men, plus coconnut shells for the top for women, cannot find coconut shells, can cut those 1.6 ltr coca cola bottles use the top parts...$1000 can buy a HDB!!...mana ada problem?..boleh!..可又!! maari!...Yes you can!.

I just know that a friend of mine recently bought a brand new freehold property in Bangkok for $210k that’s 150sqm 2 storey sitting on a 220sqm land that can part 2 cars.

Hangover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does anyone here ever had a woman who is willing to be with you, if you can only afford to support them for $10.40 a day?