• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

I bet this fucker must feel real proud about shooting a man dead leegally!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I sense that many are not aware that Tasers are not to be used when someon is armed with a weapon including such things as knife, parang etc. Its meant to subdue belligerent, disorderly charcters without calling in too many resources. In the infamous Rodney King case, the Taser malfunctioned. In numerous cases multiple discharges had to be done. If one of the prongs don't connect or hits an object, its a goner. Tasers are also used when other police officers can provide covering fire in case the device is not effective.

The Policeman misses with the taser (malfunction, charge insufficient or prong hit a button etc), either he dies, his partner dies or a member of public dies. If the officer lives, he will be charged for negligence.

Another chap said that since the officer is much bigger,he should somehow manage to subdue a man with a knife. Thats even more amazing. Watching to many movies.

I think we can reasonably assume that no one wants to take a life. The paper work, the inquiry, the hassle is not worth it.

Not saying the policeman right or wrong since none of us were there.

But what was the objective in buying and issuing policeman with Taser Gun?

Is it utilize to cause pain under non dangerous situations?

Is the Taser Gun a white elephant and additional burden to carry around and money wasted with good initial intention but not practical?

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
So I checked it up - guys : it's a 20cm knife. (see CNA report below). I dun know about you guys, but to me, a 20-cm knife wielded by a disturbed man of whatever size coming at me, that is definitely life-threatening & this discovery has put paid my interest in this thread that has stretched over 100 posts !

nevertheless the police should not shoot to kill, at least go for the legs first, if still doesn't stop go for the body!

even so if that person is mentally disturbed..

even in the court of law, mentally disturbed people are not guilty for their 'crimes!'.

how could the police uphold justice if they are the executioner? :biggrin:

Papititis

Alfrescian
Loyal
nevertheless the police should not shoot to kill, at least go for the legs first, if still doesn't stop go for the body!

even in the court of law, mentally disturbed people are not guilty for their 'crimes!'.

What the hell Tee Kee? Messiah scroobal had spoken! He is the mod here for God's sake! That must be the last word on the subject!

What? The victim is Chinese and you are Chinese is it? Just be patient and wait for the next justified shooting by a Chinese officer on a Malay mentally disturbed man in busy Orchard Road. Than you you will read grunting of protest! Don't worry about the inevitable monkeys that will latch on you. Let me deal with them. :biggrin:

VIBGYOR

Alfrescian
Loyal
What? The victim is Chinese and you are Chinese is it? Just be patient and wait for the next justified shooting by a Chinese officer on a Malay mentally disturbed man in busy Orchard Road. Than you you will read grunting of protest! Don't worry about the inevitable monkeys that will latch on you. Let me deal with them. :biggrin:

Chinese or no Chinese cop should uphold the law, not make their own laws...:biggrin:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/itmNiTwHOsM&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/itmNiTwHOsM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

chuckyworld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: Rash act in shooting murderer at Jalan Kukoh

Good point, we all can come up with different scenario for both, it will be never ending.

We are not the shooter, nor the victim that is being shot in self defend.

As for being shoot in the hand and leg you won't feel the pain till the shock setter in,

it also depend on the person tolerance for pain too.

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal

You are making the assumption that there is enough time to get two shots in which is unlikely to be the case (if you were being charged at, you would likely not feel there is enough time to fire again). Being mentally disturbed does not entitle them to not being subdued with lethal force if they are a threat to someone else's life.

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If there is to be a civil suit and I am the lawyer for the plaintiff, there would be questions asked of the necessity to use deadly force against the deceased notwithstanding the fact that he was witnessed to have murdered someone in cold blood.

Singapore
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
Jan 7, 2010
Cop shot at armed man
By Elena Chong

othman-wongkwaichow.jpg

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger. -- ST PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

A POLICE officer told a coroner's court on Thursday that he shot a suspect at Outram MRT station as his life was in imminent danger.

Staff Sergeant Azli Othman, 30, attached to Bukit Merah East Neighbourhood Police Centre, testified that Lim Bok Song, 43, charged at him with a knife in his right hand and ignored his warnings to stop. He had earlier called out to Lim and signalled to him to move aside at the North-East Line MRT platform on March 6, 2008.

Suddenly, Lim slipped his right hand into his sling bag. Staff Sgt Azli then placed his right hand on his service revolver in case the culprit was taking out a weapon.

When the officer saw Lim whip out a knife, he drew out his service revolver and pointed at him, shouting at him to stop. But Lim ignored him and dashed towards the officer who retreated backwards and fired a shot.

The court heard that Staff Sgt Azli and then Corporal Tan Lye Ann, now 22, had responded to a message to look out for the suspect who had earlier stabbed an odd-job worker at Jalan Kukoh hawker centre off Chin Swee Road.

The inquiry into the deaths of Lim and Mr Tan Ah Chong, 52, continues.

But you are not a lawyer, and you weren't there nor threatened at the time, so whats your point?

matamafia

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG mata are cowards and very lack skill when handling violent criminals. They fear for their own lives more than anything.

Remember that they had 3 armed matas cornering this man who has only a knife.

Remember that they have got so many weapons issued, not just guns. They have got batons, electric-shock gun, pepper spray - standard issue.

WHY must they just shoot people dead like COWBOYS?

Because they fear for their own lives! Cowards!

littlefish

Alfrescian
Loyal
SG mata are cowards and very lack skill when handling violent criminals. They fear for their own lives more than anything.

Remember that they had 3 armed matas cornering this man who has only a knife.

Remember that they have got so many weapons issued, not just guns. They have got batons, electric-shock gun, pepper spray - standard issue.

WHY must they just shoot people dead like COWBOYS?

Because they fear for their own lives! Cowards!

Do you mean the police are not entitled to fearing for their lives? Are they not human or do they not have families to go home to?

The other non-lethal weapons you mentioned are only used when dealing with unruly crowds or aggressive unarmed individuals. They are not used when dealing with dangerously-armed offenders who are attacking you. It would certainly be unjustified if the police shot the guy while he was simply holding the knife and not charging at them.

Either you have been watching too many kungfu movies (even Bruce Willis in the Die Hard series was a trigger-happy cop) or you obviously do not understand the difference between accepting risks as part of your job and putting your life and others' safety in jeopardy by taking unneccessary risks.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
But could the officer shot at the suspect's leg to make him go down and not killing him.

I'm assuming the officer shot the suspect in the chest.

Talk is cheap, if a muderer is charging at you with a knife, I think I would run.
When in such a situation, you aim for the bigger upper body and not the smaller and slimmer legs.

shelltox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many unborn children had been killed LEEgally during the stop at TWO campaign...what is shooting a charging man with a knife!?, no one enjoy the pleasure of shooting another...but can we ask a very sensitive question?, if this was Abang?...would he had used his Taser gun?:p

And get promoted posthumously and wrap in a state flag