• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Huge turnout at Speakers' Corner for population White Paper protest

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
You have friends? Amazing.

Yes I do. They're all successful people. I don't mix with those who refuse to do the hard yard but expect the government to do everything for them.

My friends are those who confronted obstacles head on and overcame them. Too many Singaporeans give up far too easily and blame the government for all of life's problems.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
So, will LHL's Operation 69 be call off or he will continue to mow down Sinkies with his father's evil plan ? :( Some people must up with this kind of betting kiosk. :biggrin:

Hard to say. Even most of his grassroots are having concerns.

goldenmonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I do. They're all successful people. I don't mix with those who refuse to do the hard yard but expect the government to do everything for them.

My friends are those who confronted obstacles head on and overcame them. Too many Singaporeans give up far too easily and blame the government for all of life's problems.

Yet again, despite the against-the-popular-thing-to-do-here tone, Sam does drive a few pointers home:

1. ok you all reject the Paper. Do you deny the fact that we are facing a economy melt-down in 20-years' time due to the low fertility rate? WHAT are your counter proposal besides writting these placards?

2. Do we need to go all out to thrash this Paper? WP is not supportive but admits that immigrant policy is still the way to go, who is going to lead the third option? How?

3. There are simply too many well-to-do locals to start any real protest, let alone a march to Istana. This is a party and a kaopeh session, where is the message or demand for the government (I was there)?

Prove me wrong again please.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I checked with many of my friends and none of them went to Hong Lim yesterday. They all said that they didn't want to rub shoulders with losers. Instead, they went to SICC and TMCC to play golf with the movers and shakers of society.

Play goft on a rainy day and you called them movers and shakers of society? *tsk tsk!!*

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I checked with many of my friends and none of them went to Hong Lim yesterday. They all said that they didn't want to rub shoulders with losers. Instead, they went to SICC and TMCC to play golf with the movers and shakers of society.

yeah your friends are the movers and shakers who play golf in the pouring rain that type right? lanjiao understand....

ROFLMFAO......

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal

The question for me is, "what next?"

It is an enlightening start to see people unafraid to show up and be seen. The next step can be a protest march say from Hong Lim to the Padang. With 3000+ participanst waving placards, occupying the streets on Sg's most-tourist/visitor plied roads, chanting anti-regime slogans, it will take attention the media cannot be ignore,

Cheers!

Travellor

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is an enlightening start to see people unafraid to show up and be seen. The next step can be a protest march say from Hong Lim to the Padang. With 3000+ participanst waving placards, occupying the streets on Sg's most-tourist/visitor plied roads, chanting anti-regime slogans, it will take attention the media cannot be ignore,

Cheers!

That will never happen because there will never be any demonstrations allowed in sinkapore....

THIS CCB GOVT IS TOO FUCKING SCARED!!!!

Last edited:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yet again, despite the against-the-popular-thing-to-do-here tone, Sam does drive a few pointers home:

1. ok you all reject the Paper. Do you deny the fact that we are facing a economy melt-down in 20-years' time due to the low fertility rate? WHAT are your counter proposal besides writting these placards?

2. Do we need to go all out to thrash this Paper? WP is not supportive but admits that immigrant policy is still the way to go, who is going to lead the third option? How?

3. There are simply too many well-to-do locals to start any real protest, let alone a march to Istana. This is a party and a kaopeh session, where is the message or demand for the government (I was there)?

Prove me wrong again please.

You think nobody had given suggestions or pointed out specific areas of deficiency?

So many have pointed out bad govt policies that contribute to the material burden of having babies e.g. maid levy, education system that calls for lots of tuition for kids, no child delivery medical benefits, limited uni placements especially medicine, high cost of living brought on by escalating housing, transport and healthcare costs etc, etc.

Others have noted psychological and social environmental factors that contribute to stress, a key ingredient for a low TFR e.g. congestion in our public transport system and the environment in general, worries and constant chasing of deadlines at work, intensified competition (we can argue about international competition but domestic competition have also intensified), overtime work and general burnout combined with a slow growing income and fast growing living costs.

I would be very surprised that the government is not aware of all these. But is it listening? The problem is our policy makers are all derived from the same mold, given to group think. You can spot it straightaway once anyone of them opens his gap. It is extremely difficult to break out of the box that they have built around themselves.

It is not easy for them to see their own mistakes even when pointed out by others let alone realise these on their own. Your own interpretation of the crowd at HLP showed that you are essentially cut from the same cloth. I can understand that but it will be at a very, very late stage that you realise the reality of the situation.

My thread on "White Paper - Exposing the Flaws of Policy Making" is just one take on this by a blogger.

My own thinking is that the Govt is facing a big cash flow problem (I am not calling this a financial issue, just a cash flow issue) caused partly by losses during the sub-prime crisis and an oversight of not planning for the huge withdrawal of CPF funds from the baby boomers (maybe there was no oversight but the sub-prime losses must have compounded the problem of the baby boomers).

Based on past PAP's performance, it is unlikely that the infrastructure development can be so out of sync with the population growth caused by foreign influx which is completely within the Govt's control. The population growth was caused to happen so fast, in desperation it seemed, that the infrastructure development had no time to react.

As Lucky Tan correctly pointed out, the need for population replacement was made 25 years ahead of requirement. Instead of replacing the shortfall in babies with babies, we replaced that with adults and not only that, we caused a large population increase of 1.2 million over 10 years.

What other reason can we bring to the debate other than that we need the extra tax revenue to pay for something? During the Nathan's presidency, the reserves were touched, if I remember correctly, at least 12 times and most of us were none the wiser.

So the whole White Paper on population is not to plan for the future but to solve a past problem of mismanagement. The government was under duress to act in this particular way. I think top honchos in WP understand this. That is why they are not pressing them too hard so long as the main directions are adhered to.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
So the whole White Paper on population is not to plan for the future but to solve a past problem of mismanagement. The government was under duress to act in this particular way. I think top honchos in WP understand this. That is why they are not pressing them too hard so long as the main directions are adhered to.

Thank you FS for this wonderful, excellent and insightful comment. This is a 5 star comment!!!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
yeah your friends are the movers and shakers who play golf in the pouring rain that type right? lanjiao understand....
ROFLMFAO......

If it rains there is a beautiful clubhouse with the 19th hole plus a host of amenities that successful people have worked hard to enjoy.

People who are not successful will not be aware of the fact that SICC is more than just a golf course. To educate yourself, check out ​http://www.sicc.org.sg/

Tuayapeh

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
If it rains there is a beautiful clubhouse with the 19th hole plus a host of amenities that successful people have worked hard to enjoy.

People who are not successful will not be aware of the fact that SICC is more than just a golf course. To educate yourself, check out ​http://www.sicc.org.sg/

yeah i know of all about the fucking haolian boliao pwabyes with their CCB showoff wives who got nothing else better to do but chueh taichi with other equally snoobbish CCB losers from SICC...

full of fucktards who got too much money and too much time ...all doing nothing ut playing their feudal games ... they have done little to contribute to society ... just wannam sit tight on their piles of gold accumulated by their usurious fathers ...

send them to me...i will show them what Hell is like man ...

tuayapeh rubbing his hands......

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
yeah i know of all about the fucking haolian boliao pwabyes with their CCB showoff wives who got nothing else better to do but chueh taichi with other equally snoobbish CCB losers from SICC...

You're just jealous because you aren't successful enough to join their ranks. :rolleyes:

goldenmonkey

Alfrescian
Loyal
You think nobody had given suggestions or pointed out specific areas of deficiency?

So many have pointed out bad govt policies that contribute to the material burden of having babies e.g. maid levy, education system that calls for lots of tuition for kids, no child delivery medical benefits, limited uni placements especially medicine, high cost of living brought on by escalating housing, transport and healthcare costs etc, etc.

Others have noted psychological and social environmental factors that contribute to stress, a key ingredient for a low TFR e.g. congestion in our public transport system and the environment in general, worries and constant chasing of deadlines at work, intensified competition (we can argue about international competition but domestic competition have also intensified), overtime work and general burnout combined with a slow growing income and fast growing living costs.

I would be very surprised that the government is not aware of all these. But is it listening? The problem is our policy makers are all derived from the same mold, given to group think. You can spot it straightaway once anyone of them opens his gap. It is extremely difficult to break out of the box that they have built around themselves.

It is not easy for them to see their own mistakes even when pointed out by others let alone realise these on their own. Your own interpretation of the crowd at HLP showed that you are essentially cut from the same cloth. I can understand that but it will be at a very, very late stage that you realise the reality of the situation.

My thread on "White Paper - Exposing the Flaws of Policy Making" is just one take on this by a blogger.

My own thinking is that the Govt is facing a big cash flow problem (I am not calling this a financial issue, just a cash flow issue) caused partly by losses during the sub-prime crisis and an oversight of not planning for the huge withdrawal of CPF funds from the baby boomers (maybe there was no oversight but the sub-prime losses must have compounded the problem of the baby boomers).

Based on past PAP's performance, it is unlikely that the infrastructure development can be so out of sync with the population growth caused by foreign influx which is completely within the Govt's control. The population growth was caused to happen so fast, in desperation it seemed, that the infrastructure development had no time to react.

As Lucky Tan correctly pointed out, the need for population replacement was made 25 years ahead of requirement. Instead of replacing the shortfall in babies with babies, we replaced that with adults and not only that, we caused a large population increase of 1.2 million over 10 years.

What other reason can we bring to the debate other than that we need the extra tax revenue to pay for something? During the Nathan's presidency, the reserves were touched, if I remember correctly, at least 12 times and most of us were none the wiser.

I will resist the temptation to call names, but I can declare myself as a middle-ground man.
What good is all the conspiracy theories of our reserves not being there anymore, getting in more new citizens to vote PAP, the crux of the matter is to convince people like me that PAP should not form the next government.

Picture this, you do not trust the driver on his knowledge of the roads, the co-driver is saying "yes, your map is upside down" (but drive on nevertheless, we see how). Then there are some co passengers screaming out a bit "wrong direction la, stop!" (then? turn around? turn left?) Everyone else is equally clueless. So you tell me, who should I put in as the driver next?

DuYunQi

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's next?... life goes on as usual until 2016 where the PAP will win a resounding victory for the simple reason that no other party can deliver the prosperity that sinkies crave for.

For someone who posted a prediction that only 30 will turn up.. you can understand that I can't believe you.

In today's world, everything is uncertain. What is, may not be in the near future. Never say never.

cass888

Alfrescian
Loyal
So they wait in the 19th hole waiting for the rain to stop and if it doesn't stop they just have a couple more. Some things you people wouldn't understand :wink:

ROFLMFAO......

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NLxokidbuF0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what national CONversation? their language is ivory tower wavelength so much different from ground level.