• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean can kiss their jobs good bye, jiu kia take HSR from KL to Johor and stay there and take RTS to steal jobs ha ha ha ha by that time I will be in Oz already.

Some people living in SG are already taking more than 90 min to get to work, so maybe for some KL folks it could be faster or take about the same to travel 350km to work in SG.:p

sgtsk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Singaporean can kiss their jobs good bye, jiu kia take HSR from KL to Johor and stay there and take RTS to steal jobs ha ha ha ha by that time I will be in Oz already.

This one belt one road and RCEP things mean Singaporeans could also move to where opportunities are.

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hold your horse until the formal bilateral agreement is signed. Until then, anything that can possibly go wrong can possibly also go wrong.
It is essential how the agreement is formulated and who benefits more.

Wah...wait until signed already prices may have gone up much more and the condo project that one has been eyeing for would be taken up liao. In my view, things are chugging (pun intended) along. More news may be out in the coming months on the RTS. I think it's quite exciting! Or maybe I'm just being pathetically hopeful again.:p

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal

Not only kl Kia and Jiu hu kia. Batu pahat Kia, Muar Kia..etc also joining as well in JB. 武林大会。Huat huh!! :p

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wah...wait until signed already prices may have gone up much more and the condo project that one has been eyeing for would be taken up liao. In my view, things are chugging (pun intended) along. More news may be out in the coming months on the RTS. I think it's quite exciting! Or maybe I'm just being pathetically hopeful again.:p

Remember what LHL said, they will be doing the study and a bilateral agreement is hopefully able to be sign in a year's time, which coincidentally the timing of the next MY's General Election...................just in case there's a change of government and policies.

potter

Alfrescian
Loyal
Remember what LHL said, they will be doing the study and a bilateral agreement is hopefully able to be sign in a year's time, which coincidentally the timing of the next MY's General Election...................just in case there's a change of government and policies.

House price is going to up 8~10% next year, boz of construction materials. :cool: Huat ah!!

Frodo

Alfrescian
Loyal

In my view, the RTS is not really a huge and complex project, like the HSR, so it should be easier to get it on track and running.:smile: Besides, according to LHL, the major point has been resolved and he spoke of WHEN the RTS is completed, not a matter of IF completed. Looks pretty firmed to me, at this point at least.:smile:

"We've settled on a high-bridge crossing. This was a major point - how are we going to cross the Straits of Johor - high bridge, low bridge (or) tunnel," said Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. "That clears the way for us to work towards a bilateral agreement which I hope we can sign by the end of next year....When they come to fruition, there will be more exchanges between our people and our ties will grow closer," said the Prime Minister.
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...tem-to-be-linked-via-high-bridge/3364180.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
High-speed rail deal inked, now the hard work is set to begin
Thursday, Dec 15, 2016

20161215_leehisenloongandnajibrazak_AFP.jpg

Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong shakes hands with Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak during a joint press conference at the Prime Minister's Office in Putrajaya on December 13, 2016 following an official agreement signing ceremony for the construction of a high speed rail link between the city-state and Kuala Lumpur.

Photo: AFP

Singapore and Malaysia will have to navigate a whole host of challenges that will invariably come their way

THERE was ample cause for celebration when Singapore and Malaysia finally put pen to paper on a historic bilateral agreement to build the High Speed Rail (HSR) linking the two neighbours.

The simple signing ceremony in Putrajaya on Tuesday, witnessed by Prime Ministers Lee Hsien Loong and Najib Razak during their annual retreat, is significant in many ways.

It took place nearly 46 months after the two leaders first made the surprise announcement in Singapore to go ahead with the massive project.

Negotiators and planners from both sides then met countless times to iron out the details of the HSR, which led to a memorandum of understanding in July and culminated with Tuesday's legally binding bilateral agreement.

When ready, the bullet trains will be able to go as fast as 350km per hour. Commuters will be able to travel from the Lion City to Kuala Lumpur, and vice versa, in just 90 minutes, compared to four to five hours by road.

The non-stop express service is expected to be up and running by Dec 31, 2026 - exactly a decade from today.

They will allow thousands of commuters from either side of the Causeway to shuttle back and forth with ease, be it for leisure or business.

The trains will whiz across the Straits of Johor on a new bridge to be constructed 25 metres above the water level. There will be a total of eight stations, with the two terminal stations being in Jurong East (Singapore) and Bandar Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur).

Ten years may seem like a long way to go, but in reality there isn't that much time to lose as the HSR project now shifts into higher gear.

One could well say that the real hard work begins now, and the chief priority for the two neighbours will be to ensure the process of calling and awarding of the tenders - worth billions of dollars - is carried out fairly and objectively.

There has, understandably, been extremely keen interest from many countries around the world that have the expertise and experience to construct modern HSR links.

South Korea, Japan, China and several European nations have and will continue to lobby hard to get the job. Whoever clinches the deal will be tasked with the heavy responsibility of designing, building, maintaining and operating the 350km-long railway line, and ensure that the project is delivered smoothly and on schedule.

Of course, it's not possible to predict exactly how the next few years will unfold, much less the next decade, so it's fair to say that Singapore and Malaysia will have to navigate a whole host of challenges that will invariably come their way.

The global economy is in a weakened state, and many countries in Asia and beyond are bracing for a rough ride in the next couple of years as the effects of the US presidential election and Brexit, among other world-changing events, are felt.

The HSR is an extremely complex and major undertaking, and the construction phase alone will span several terms of government in both Singapore and Malaysia.

It was, therefore, heartening to hear Mr Lee reiterate that there's strong political will to ensure the project is successful and sustainable. Mr Najib, who is also Finance Minister, stressed that the HSR is commercially viable and he did not envisage any problems in getting long-term financing.

If there was an overarching theme of this seventh leaders' retreat between Singapore and Malaysia, it would be connectivity.

Besides the HSR, the Rapid Transit System (RTS) - another significant project that will link Woodlands in Singapore and Johor Bahru in Malaysia - is also taking shape. The two governments agreed on Tuesday to build a high bridge and will now work towards getting a bilateral agreement on the RTS signed by the end of 2017.

Commuters who are frequently caught in congestion at the Causeway and Second Link will also welcome the news that there could be new ferry routes in future between Singapore and Johor.

Malaysia has also requested to extend an agreement to construct and operate a ferry terminal and run water services between Peninsula Malaysia and Singapore.

These and other connectivity projects can only be achieved if the bilateral relationship is strong and healthy, which it clearly is. There is much to look forward to in the coming years as Singapore and Malaysia look to take its people-to-people ties and economic links to the next level.

2733_1481785663.jpg

- See more at: http://news.asiaone.com/news/asian-...-now-hard-work-set-begin#sthash.1N0EB56u.dpuf

freedom

Alfrescian
Loyal
Glad PM Lee finally said something about RTS showing that it is not forgotten....hopefully, it will be up and running soon ...

myrsing

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry I don't head that way in the morning so I don't know what causes the bike jams over there. But I do know what causes the bike jam at Woodlands checkpoint entering SG in the morning; the incompetence of ICA and Aetos in managing the bikes coming through. Just this morning there was a huge space cordoned off which had it been opened I would have cleared customs in less than 10 min. Instead they directed us to a place jammed packed with bikers which takes more than an hour to clear. And there is horrible planning as there is much dead spaces that are unused and it becomes a storage place for throwing about those plastic road barriers. They should insteadnset up food carts there so bikers stucked there can buy breakfast and ICA can collect rental. Duh.

Actually for me coming back to spore in afternoon tere wasnt any jam. The jam only occurred past couple of weeks especially when i reached spore checkpoint @ 10am heading towards jb. Just like u said at one point we were also directed to another lane jammed packed with bikes! I suspect ica test trial auto bike clearance initially but failed execute it fast enough. So they must have switch to normal counter clearance when they realised the jam built up. Thats what happened at the airport too. At times they cleared us using both our thumb prints. At times they dont. Wheres the security?

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Jurong Country Club closes for good on Saturday
By Loke Kok Fai Posted 31 Dec 2016 00:06 Updated 31 Dec 2016 00:14

SINGAPORE: Jurong Country Club closes for good on Saturday (Dec 31), as it makes way for the new Singapore-Kuala Lumpur high-speed rail, as well as the development of hotels, offices, residences and retail outlets.

Members of the public got one last look at the 67-hectare site on Friday, before it opened for one last day for club members on Saturday.

Club members told Channel NewsAsia that the place had become an institution of more than 40 years of history. Many said they joined the club in the 1970s and 1980s, when Jurong was being redeveloped from a swampland into the industrial estate it is today.

“When Jurong Country Club was conceived back in the early '70s by our then-Deputy Prime Minister, the late Dr Goh Keng Swee, it was conceived to attract industrialists, investments, to help build up the Jurong region into the industrial estate that it is today,” said the club’s Chairman for Marketing and Communications Michael Liew, who joined in 1976, a year after the club’s founding.

Retired businessman Foo Jong Peng, who joined in 1982, said Jurong Country Club’s atmosphere was why it stood out from Singapore’s other country clubs.

"Go to other clubs - yes, we can play golf - but the atmosphere is different,” he said. “Here we are very, very friendly, especially those who are elderly people. This friendship - now it’s going to end. Tomorrow, where can we find a place like this?"

Others said they cut their teeth on the 18-hole course, which once played host to wildlife like the crocodiles adorning its former logos.

“It has always been a place where families grow up,” said professional golfer Sharon Lee. “I played golf here from the time I was a kid.

“My dad introduced my brothers and myself to the game and we literally grew up here. My nephews are also golfers and they grew up here. In fact, one of them has also turned into a golf professional like the three of us in our family.

“I’ve come full circle – starting as a golfer, now teaching here for the last nine to 10 years.”

RECOVERING INVESTMENTS AND MEMORIES

The club's last few days involved selling much of its assets – much of it to recover its initial capital outlay, according to the club.

This included golf equipment such as its buggy fleet, course machinery and gym equipment, which came up to around S$500,000, along with auctioning off paintings which once decorated its hallways.

“I don’t think they (the paintings and memorabilia) total up to more than S$10,000 or S$20,000,” said Mr Liew. “It’s not that much. Contrary to popular belief, we’re not exactly an extremely affluent club with a lot of things to sell away and that’s not the purpose in any case.

“It’s not the monetary value, but the sentimental value of what these memorabilia and paintings represent to members.”

The club is also hoping to receive S$168 million from the sale of the site - a valuation given by real estate firm Knight Frank. This is more than double the valuation of S$89.8 million given by the Singapore Land Authority (SLA) – which the club said is a scant compensation for the many millions invested in the place over the years.

This included more than S$30 million paid upfront to the Government for lease of the land until 2035, as well as a roughly S$23 million revamp of its 18-hole golf course completed in 2012.

"There's a mistaken notion that Jurong members are going to make a windfall out of this acquisition,” said Mr Liew. “Nothing could be further from the truth, because some of the members actually paid S$150,000 at its peak (in the mid-1990s).

“So we have everything to lose – in fact we'll lose a lot.

“More than just the money, but this was a place for us to come to, not only to play golf, but to retreat to - it was our personal sanctuary. So definitely when this place goes, it will be a very sad day. I can’t begin to describe the heartache that some of us will feel, but it is what it is, and so we will have to look forward from here to see what becomes of this piece of land."

Club members will play their final rounds of golf on Saturday, before taking part in a mass walkabout of the grounds and lowering the club’s flag for the final time. They will then proceed to a dinner to usher in the New Year – though Mr Liew said there might not be much to cheer about.

“All the Jurong members invested, heeded the call to come and join the club to help build this region,” he said. “And now 40 years on, interestingly, we’ve had to answer the call of duty again - but this time round it’s to make way for the high-speed rail as it ploughs through Tuas and Jurong.”

- CNA/ek

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...club-closes-for-good-on-saturday/3404244.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
In the pipeline for Jurong East to become 2nd CBD of Singapore: Freeing up more land for development, and enhancing work-live-play environment.

The dollars and sense of realigning the Ayer Rajah Expressway
PUBLISHED AUG 23, 2014, 7:42 AM SGT
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...sense-of-realigning-the-ayer-rajah-expressway

Plans to develop Jurong Lake Gardens Central and East unveiled
PUBLISHED NOV 26, 2016, 9:50 AM SGT UPDATED NOV 26, 2016, 3:51 PM
http://www.straitstimes.com/singapo...jurong-lake-gardens-central-and-east-unveiled

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Raffles Country Club to make way for KL-Singapore High-Speed Rail
By Lianne Chia and Monica Kotwani Posted 04 Jan 2017 12:50 Updated 04 Jan 2017 22:23

SINGAPORE: The 143-hectare Raffles Country Club site in Tuas will be acquired by authorities to make way for the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore High-Speed Rail project.

The club announced the move on its website on Wednesday (Jan 4). The announcement included a letter from the Singapore Land Authority informing the club of the acquisition.

According to the announcement, the land is also needed for the Cross Island Line's western depot and other transport-related uses.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...EA&ll=1.3356110797173,103.65164805000006&z=15

"We understand that many of you may have queries regarding the future of RCC," the club said in the announcement. "We would like to assure you that the club has been contacted by the relevant Government agencies and we will provide members with a more detailed update in due course."

The club will be required to vacate its premises by Jul 31, 2018, according to the letter.

BIGGEST ACQUISITION DONE IN RECENT YEARS

On Wednesday (Jan 4), the Land Transport Authority (LTA) and SLA said the Raffles Country Club site is the “optimal site” in terms of location, size and orientation.

Leaders of Singapore and Malaysia had signed a bilateral agreement for the high-speed rail last month, where it was agreed that the HSR will cross the Straits of Johor via a bridge with a height clearance of 25 metres above the water level.

LTA and SLA explained that as the bridge is high, it has to be continued before it can be brought down to land and into the tunnel. “So there are not a lot of options in terms of where we can site it without having to make a lot of land acquisitions”, they said.

They said the Raffles Country Club site is the most suitable location to run the HSR tracks immediately after the bridge crossing. It will then enter an underground tunnel to the HSR terminus in Jurong East.

Space is also needed for HSR crossover tracks and a siding facility that will temporarily house a train near the border for safety or operational reasons, if necessary.

The site is also needed to provide train parking and maintenance facilities for the Cross Island Line's Western Depot, LTA and SLA added, as well as other transport-related needs which may include train testing facilities. Further details of the projects will be given after detailed feasibility and engineering studies, they said.

By size, the 143-hectare site is the biggest land acquisition in recent years. The club is the second country club – after Jurong Country Club – to be acquired by authorities for the HSR project. It closed for good on Dec 31 last year, ahead of its lease expiry in 2035. The 67-hectare site it was on will be occupied by the HSR terminus, as well as mixed-use developments and community facilities.

“This is a big acquisition and we would like to reiterate that the government does not take acquisition lightly,” said SLA’s Chief Executive Tan Boon Khai. “We will consider all options including the technical and suitability details before making the acquisition.”

He added that under the Land Acquisition Act, the club will be compensated full market value, and SLA will work closely with the club’s management and assist the club throughout the acquisition process. Jurong Country Club was awarded S$89.8 million by the Collector of Land Revenue – an amount about half of what the club asked for in its claim for compensation.

ALL CLUB MEMBERS INFORMED OF ACQUISITION

When contacted by Channel NewsAsia, the club said it was given the acquisition notice just after 10am on Wednesday. It has “several direct channels” of reaching out to members, and that all have been informed of the acquisition.

The club, which was founded in 1988, has two 18-hole golf courses, and its lease was due to expire in 2028. A check on club membership broker websites showed RCC memberships going for between S$32,500 to S$34,000. It has about 2,650 golfing members.

The high-speed rail, which is slated for completion in 2026, is expected to cut travel time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to about 90 minutes. The line will run for 350km, with 335km in Malaysia and 15km in Singapore.

There will be eight stations in total, with the two terminal stations at Jurong East in Singapore and Bandar Malaysia in Kuala Lumpur.

ACQUISITION THE MOST LOGICAL DECISION: ANALYSTS

Analysts told Channel NewsAsia that acquiring the site – which runs parallel to the Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) - was the most logical decision for the high-speed rail project.

Transport analyst Dr Walter Theseira of SIM University said that, unlike mass transit lines which can curve, the high-speed rail line cannot afford to do so in order to maintain its speed.

“If you look at the geography of the area, one very likely alignment is ... straight alongside the existing AYE for much of the length of the AYE in the Tuas area,” said Dr Theseira. “That would be a very straight alignment, and if you build it, in fact, along the grounds of the Raffles Country Club, then you don't have to take over, for example, industrial land to do that.”

He added that the authorities may also have chosen the site as the most cost-effective way to guide trains underground from above ground.

“It’s going to be a lot cheaper to do that, if for example you were to take over a stretch of land which currently doesn’t have development on it, and basically dig the tunnel there and cover the tunnel afterwards,” he said.

“If you were to build the tunnel, however, underneath existing structures, it’s generally a lot more costly and complicated and I think we want to minimise that kind of cost as far as possible. That would be unavoidable once the HSR gets into the Jurong area, but I think there’s a chance to lower the cost by taking over the Raffles Country Club.”

Neither would it be feasible to run the line below an operational golf course, said Chong Kee Sen, immediate past president of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore.

He explained that a high-speed train entering Singapore would require a long strip of land for it to maintain its speed as it moves underground.

“The transition has to be smooth, the gradient has to be more gentle, so it basically affects the surface of the RCC for a certain stretch before the train really goes into the tunnel," said Mr Chong.

He added that the land that might be too shallow in parts to support golf games above it, and that the strip could stretch across much of the site’s courses.

Additional reporting by Loke Kok Fai.

- CNA/lc

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...-way-for-kl-singapore-high-speed/3412348.html

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Mahathir just said these today:

1. The High-Speed Rail project that will connect Singapore to Malaysia will be reviewed by the opposition should they win in the next general election.
MY need to do a study whether it is feasible or not because MY has no money and have to borrow and that is not something the govt. can bear at this moment.

2. Singapore shouldn’t worry if the government led by PM Najib falls as Malaysia and Singapore always found ways to resolve any issues in a peaceful manner.

3. If anything could drive a wedge between Singapore and Malaysia, it would be China, whose relations with Singapore have become tense.

4. Najib may distance himself from SG because a lot of Chinese investment in Malaysia and they will want to secure their investment and influence the MY government to help them whatever way we can.

5. Najib had only been “friendly” towards Singapore because he was in a politically weak position and needed projects like the HSR to boost his standing in Malaysia.

Agree fully, agree partially or totally don't agree ?

http://www.msn.com/en-sg/news/natio...ed-rail/ar-AAm6sX3?li=AAaGkVj&ocid=spartandhp

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
US engineering firm AECOM to design Singapore's high-speed rail infrastructure
By Melissa Zhu Posted 08 Feb 2017 11:08 Updated 08 Feb 2017 22:52

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority (LTA) has appointed AECOM Singapore to conduct an advanced engineering study for Singapore stretch of the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur high-speed rail (HSR) infrastructure, it announced on Wednesday (Feb 8).

The US engineering firm will provide architectural, civil, electrical, mechanical and other design services required for the Jurong East terminus, tunnels and the bridge across the Straits of Johor.

It has also appointed specialist consultants to oversee different parts of the study:

aecom-consultants-data.png

(Source: LTA)

According to documents on LTA's website, the tender was awarded at a price of S$24.6 million. Five other firms participated in the tender, which was called last August. The estimated delivery date for the contract is Oct 1, 2018, according to Government procurement portal GeBiz.

The other tender proposals received were from Arup Singapore, Meinhardt (Singapore), Mott MacDonald Singapore, Parsons Brinckerhoff and Surbana Jurong Infrastructure. AECOM's bid was not the lowest of the lot, but an LTA spokesperson said higher emphasis was placed on quality when evaluating the tender proposals, and it took into consideration the firm's track record and experience of personnel deployed.

"They bring extensive experience in HSR projects internationally, including in the planning and design of the Beijing South HSR Station in China, the High-Speed 2 railway in the United Kingdom, and the West Kowloon Terminus for the Express Rail Link in Hong Kong," LTA said in a statement.

"AECOM Singapore has a strong track record in Singapore as well, having worked with LTA to design the Circle Line, Downtown Line, Thomson-East Coast Line and the Tuas West Extension. AECOM Singapore is also currently carrying out an engineering consultancy study for the Rapid Transit System Link between Singapore and Johor Baru," it added.

The Singapore-Kuala Lumpur HSR aims to facilitate seamless travel between the two capital cities. The 350-km line, which is expected to be complete by the end of 2026, will have eight stations, cutting travel time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to 90 minutes.

- CNA/mz

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...sign-singapore-s-high-speed-rail/3501306.html

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Consortium wins joint development partner contract for KL-Singapore high-speed rail
Posted 16 Feb 2017 14:47 Updated 16 Feb 2017 14:50

SINGAPORE: A three-party consortium has won the joint development partner contract for the Kuala-Lumpur-Singapore high-speed rail (HSR) project, Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) and Malaysia’s MyHSR Corp announced on Thursday (Feb 16).

Under the contract, the consortium – made up of WSP Engineering Malaysia, Mott MacDonald Malaysia and Ernst & Young Advisory Services – will provide project management support and technical advice on HSR systems and operations.

The consortium will also develop the technical and safety standards for the HSR. It will also help the joint project team, established by LTA and MyHSR, to prepare documents for the coming tenders relating to the joint aspects of the project.

“Following the commitment of the two governments through the bilateral agreement signing, the joint development partner appointment marks the start of a challenging yet exciting journey to bring the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore HSR project to reality,” said MyHSR CEO Mohd Nur Ismal Mohamed Kamal.

Other appointments for the project will be announced in due course, he added.

LTA chief executive Ngien Hoon Ping said: “With the collective expertise and extensive experience of the consortium in HSR projects internationally, MyHSR and LTA will be able to kick-start the preparation of upcoming joint tenders for this strategic project.”

Singapore and Malaysia signed a bilateral agreement on the HSR in December last year. The 350km rail project, which is expected to cut travel time between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur to 90 minutes, is slated for completion in 2026.

- CNA/cy

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news...elopment-partner-contract-for-kl/3524210.html