• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HSR and RTS Discussion

kopikong99

Alfrescian
Loyal
That might happen ie hdb resale prices start going down if people really start living in jb....so maybe that is why the 2 governments have to think carefully about the impact on property prices so are proceeding carefully....

Do you guys think prices will really come down in singapore and go up in malaysia as a result of better connectivity?

There will be new and younger ppl replacing those who moves over toJB to take over the empty hdb.

Old folks home in JB.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel a key benefit in building a RTS is to attract even more unskilled and skilled Malaysians (from other parts of Malaysia) to live in JB and travel to work in Singapore. They don't dwell in Singapore and won't be counted toward the Singapore census. As a result of this, Singapore's day population will be much higher than the estimated 6.5 million in the future. Perhaps, they will count this as a strategic move to counter the lack of workers here.

Another key benefit to the S'pore employers is that they do not need to up security deposit of S$5K security deposit for every Malaysian WP holder and bear accommodations costs.

I always try to ask myself this question:

As far as the Spore Government is concerned, what economic benefit ($$$) will it get when this RTS is built?
Of course, the common people would be very happy to live in JB and earn in Spore. Connectivity would be great, JB people can go to work and study in Spore easily every day while Spore people can come over on weekends without jams. But what about the taxes / income the Spore Government can get from this spin offs?

Malaysians do not have much spending power in Spore as the RM is so weak. Therefore, increased in human traffic at Woodlands may not translate into extra income. Having said that, the capital expenditure in this RTS projects is very high.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
There are lots of eager anticipation for the construction of the HSR.
But in reality, how soon can they actually build one?
Just take a look at some recent projects of similar size and complication.

1. The going to open Marina Coastal Expressway - with roads and a 450 metre long underwater tunnel took 5 years to complete and this is only involved one party.
There are no lengthy land clearance and land acquisition involved.
2. The Second Link - with roads and a bridge across the Straits of Johor - took 5 years, from design to construction, to complete. This involved the agreement of 2 governments and involved many issues to be agreed upon.

The HSR which crosses the Straits of Johor, doesn't matter near to Causeway or 2nd Link, has to be either a bridge or a tunnel on the seabed.
If its a bridge, it'll be as long as the 2nd Link and if its a tunnel, it'll be more than double the length of the Marina Coastal Expressway tunnel.
So with the reference of the above mention projects, I would imagine it will easily take at least 5 years to design and build this crossing but till today, not a single construction concept had emerge.
So add another 1 year for mutual agreements (on CIQ matters, ownership, etc) to finalized and another year for the design concept to ding dong between the 2 countries so it'll not be ready at least 6 -7 years from now.
Ditto for the RTS if ever they decided to build one!

Last edited:

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is already a provision for RTS in MP2013. Likely to be delayed to 2020 but it shd be delivered.

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
I feel a key benefit in building a RTS is to attract even more unskilled and skilled Malaysians (from other parts of Malaysia) to live in JB and travel to work in Singapore. They don't dwell in Singapore and won't be counted toward the Singapore census. As a result of this, Singapore's day population will be much higher than the estimated 6.5 million in the future. Perhaps, they will count this as a strategic move to counter the lack of workers here.

Another key benefit to the S'pore employers is that they do not need to up security deposit of S$5K security deposit for every Malaysian WP holder and bear accommodations costs.

you'd be surprised the number of blue collar malaysian workers here (plumber, electrician, security guard) who rent in singapore. i ask them why. their answer is "tak boleh tahan the jam". so you're right. if RTS is efficient enough, more of them will stay or rent in jb.

Last edited:

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
you'd be surprised the number of blue collar malaysian workers here (plumber, electrician, security guard) who rent in singapore. i ask them why. their answer is "tak boleh tahan the jam". so you're right. if RTS is efficient enough, more of them will stay or rent in jb.

If using the current CWS bus fare as guide - $4 for SG/JB trip and rm5 for JB/SG trip.
How much you think the new train ride between SG and JB will cost?
Lets say it up by a mere 50%, being new trains and faster journey etc.
So its $6 plus rm7.50 = about rm23 to 25 x 24 working days = rm625.
So maybe renting a room nearer to place of work in SG and share is much cheaper and more convenient.
Those riding motorbike will probably continue to do so, train or no train.

Last edited:

malpaso

Alfrescian
Loyal
If using the current CWS bus fare as guide - $4 for SG/JB trip and rm5 for JB/SG trip.
So maybe renting a room nearer to place of work in SG and share is much cheaper and more convenient.
good point. my MLY security guard is renting in singapore!
whats the going rate for rental in , say, woodlands HDB currently,? you have the number off the top of your head?

penjohorian

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think the bus fare doesn't cost so much for the daily commuting trip btw Kranji-JB and vice versa.
Can't remember the exact price, but should be around S$1.60 plus for the Kranji-JB trip, and around RM1.60 plus for JB-Kranji trip.
So the transportation cost should be much lesser than your estimation of RM625 per month.
If RTS really up in future, there will be a lot of people choose to move over to stay at JB due to the lower living cost and conveniently in daily commuting.

snowbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the bus fare doesn't cost so much for the daily commuting trip btw Kranji-JB and vice versa.
Can't remember the exact price, but should be around S$1.60 plus for the Kranji-JB trip, and around RM1.60 plus for JB-Kranji trip.
So the transportation cost should be much lesser than your estimation of RM625 per month.
If RTS really up in future, there will be a lot of people choose to move over to stay at JB due to the lower living cost and conveniently in daily commuting.

Perhaps think about it this way -
Stay in JB

Home to JB station - cost and time?
JB station to SG station - cost and time?
SG station to work place - cost and time?
Return ditto every workday

Stay in SG

Room rental - cost?
Home to workplace - cost and time?
Workplace to home - cost and time?
Ditto every workday.

Compare.

streams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Time will tell la.. woodlands will not be cheap as jb will still be cheap relatively.

When woodland becomes a large regional centre (mini CBD), the prices of home there will no longer be cheap. Just need to look at homes prices around Lakeside MRT and Jurong East MRT today.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal

"On the RTS link between JB and Woodlands, he said the project is ready to move into the next phase."

Now it is quite firm that the RTS is on track. Likely the next phase refers to ironing out the custom procedures and specifications of the RTS.

"Writing on his blog on Sunday evening, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said the high-speed rail link is a complex project, with many issues to address."

It is also quite apparent from this that HSR has a lot of issues to resolve. I think HSR timeline could be 2030 or beyond. RTS could be operational in 2020. No discussion of third link or whatever, so we will still be faced with severe jams at 1st and 2nd link. To cover the cost of construction and encourage more people to use RTS, the tolls are likely to go up.

gooddebt

Alfrescian
Loyal
On what basis u think the HSR will be built only in 2030 ?

"On the RTS link between JB and Woodlands, he said the project is ready to move into the next phase."

Now it is quite firm that the RTS is on track. Likely the next phase refers to ironing out the custom procedures and specifications of the RTS.

"Writing on his blog on Sunday evening, National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan said the high-speed rail link is a complex project, with many issues to address."

It is also quite apparent from this that HSR has a lot of issues to resolve. I think HSR timeline could be 2030 or beyond. RTS could be operational in 2020. No discussion of third link or whatever, so we will still be faced with severe jams at 1st and 2nd link. To cover the cost of construction and encourage more people to use RTS, the tolls are likely to go up.

FHBH12

Alfrescian
Loyal
you are comparing apple with orange. HSR has got SG involvement while Pasir Gudang is purely MY.

You may be right, but this is my gut-feel.

Even if it is up, I will still drive if I need to go KL :biggrin: I prefer not to pay so much for the taxis and train tickets and still have to wait for the taxis and train and suffer from the hassle of transfer. A car brings me from home to my destination door-step, and allows me to cruise around if I feel like it.