• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HR Question

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
My friend's company merged with another in the same industry two years ago.

His rank is like Captain within the department but the Lieutenants in the departments are from the other company. They are paid more than him, because of they had a different pay structure. With the recession coming, he feels that his job is secured because it makes sense for his company to retrench lower ranked, who are getting a higher pay.

It set me thinking... ...is it that simple? The must be several considerations. If I am the boss, sacking a lieutenant will not make anyone happy because other lieutenants or captain has to cover the workload. But if I sack the captain, I can give a promotion to a lieutenant with a minor pay increment which makes someone very satisfied with rank and pay increment, plus overall cost-savings for the company.

Not cursing my friend of course, but just thinking out of the box.
What will you do if you are the boss?

Reactions: jw5

CPTMiller

Alfrescian
Loyal
No one can know what is inside the management mind when they action on cut cost cut staffs.
Best is to start looking for alternative before the letter come.

jw5

Loyal
If I am the boss, I will keep the chiobu with the biggest boobs. :geek:

His rank is like Captain within the department but the Lieutenants in the departments are from the other company. They are paid more than him, because of they had a different pay structure. With the recession coming, he feels that his job is secured because it makes sense for his company to retrench lower ranked, who are getting a higher pay.

It set me thinking... ...is it that simple? The must be several considerations. If I am the boss, sacking a lieutenant will not make anyone happy because other lieutenants or captain has to cover the workload. But if I sack the captain, I can give a promotion to a lieutenant with a minor pay increment which makes someone very satisfied with rank and pay increment, plus overall cost-savings for the company.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal

assuming all of the same age group and motivated
you fren should take advantage as a captain i.e. segregate the lieutenants so that only your fren reaches the top while the others have to pass him.
this way, he can propose his 'A' team setup (i.e. resource optimizations) or 'B' team setup (expansions to take up more with same) etc.
make himself useful in the M&A activities etc. more engagements with his bosses

REMEMBER! recession and job cut arises not bcoz of reorganizations from mergers!
it becomes becoz company focuses switched channels i.e. from local to regional or another country etc.
if its gonna relocate, then even every abovementioned will not work coz relocation means close shops i.e. all GONE!

AhΜeng

Alfrescian
Loyal

All will be retrenched soon and they will bring in cheaper CECA to replace 90% of the staff.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your friend mindset like most failed entrepreneurs mindset is similar...when this group of people starts a business they only plan for the startup costs and never for the maintenance fixed and variablle costs hence when actual ops start or adversity is met, the business belly up, for example pure startup costs is 10k monthly total cost is 10k so total one year cost is 130k...this whole 130k will be considered the start up cost and any earnings that comes in will be pure profit...since temasek smrt all are cutting wages and bonuses he should plan as if he will lose his job tomorrow and not which junior will be asked to go first

nightsafari

Alfrescian
Loyal
chances are your fren is the first to go... company owners like to keep the whole group happiest as possible. if he is the odd man out, well then... you know... seniority has nothing to do with getting rid of people.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Sure i will.
Risky because it is a US listed travel company.
Expedia sacked a few thousand this week.

Which is one the US listed company? Buying or bought over company?

Anyway when mergers occur they will look to incorporate the best from both companies in terms of process and efficiencies.

What department is your friend in? What was the reason why his company got bought over? What was in it for the buying company? Is his department related to it? A particular product line he is in charge of?

Departments like accounting and HR usually will be more a case of they keep their own staff and see who they want to keep from the bought over company. Often depends how much pay the people are paid also. Too high. Bye bye. Cheap sure.

It has been 2 years since the merge right? And your friend while having a higher responsibility is being paid less than the people working under him.

So maybe your friend might be safe. The key part is it has already been 2 years! And his pay is lower.

LaoTze

Alfrescian
Loyal
All will be retrenched soon and they will bring in cheaper CECA to replace 90% of the staff.

MAGGOTS MAGGOTESS WILL SEND ONE OF THEIR PAPER GENERALS TO TAKE OVER
WHO WILL BRING HIS OWN KAKIS
THEN CUM THE CECAS

Emoji Laugh GIF - Emoji Laugh Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

Minions GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Laughing Emoji GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

Forward this on your WhatsApp and make this go viral.
Get this onto the handphones of all in Singapore

VOTE OUT ALL THE MAGGOTS AND MAGGOTESS IN WHITE AND TURN STINKAPORE BACK INTO SINGAPORE

OR OUR KIDS END UP BECOMING SECURITY GUARDS TO BE KICKED IN FACE BY CECAs OR PANDA FOOD DELIVERIES OR PICKING UP CARDBOARDS OR SELLING TISSUE PAPER IN HAWKER CENTERS

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which is one the US listed company? Buying or bought over company?
Buyer is listed in US.

Anyway when mergers occur they will look to incorporate the best from both companies in terms of process and efficiencies.

What department is your friend in? What was the reason why his company got bought over? What was in it for the buying company? Is his department related to it? A particular product line he is in charge of?
B2B Platform Infrastructure for airlines/hotels. Not direct B2C sales.

Departments like accounting and HR usually will be more a case of they keep their own staff and see who they want to keep from the bought over company. Often depends how much pay the people are paid also. Too high. Bye bye. Cheap sure.

It has been 2 years since the merge right? And your friend while having a higher responsibility is being paid less than the people working under him.
They had pay freeze since the merger.

So maybe your friend might be safe. The key part is it has already been 2 years! And his pay is lower.

Thanks again, Nayr69sg