• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How WP captured Punggol East - by an astute political pundit

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came across this and immediately realised that Singaporeans needed to know this. Dr Wong Wee Nam is probably the best regarded political strategist and renown analyst. As a medical doctor he runs his own practice. During the Presidential elections, 2 of the candidates sought his endorsement and received it - Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say. He also revealed that he is known to all the candidates, showing how well connected to the body politics of this country. You can find his articles on a highly respected site.

For those who have little time to read, here are the key points
- SDP within 24 hrs mobilised their members and supporters similar to SAF recall
- within 24 hrs SDP began knocking on doors
- covered nearly all of Punggol East
- SDP saturated the ground with opposition messages
- it softened the ground for the WP who are known to be poorly resourced, slow to move, and not well organised.
- at the crucial time, SDP pulled the rug put of the PAP assault which had planned a 2 pronged attack only to find out that SDP had strategically withdrawn allowing WP to to engage the PAP which was divided.

And my mother's name is Beyonce

Why the PAP lost so badly in the Punggol East by-election
January 28, 2013 by admin
Filed under: Current Affairs and Politics, Dr Wong Wee Nam

By Dr Wong Wee Nam
28 January 2013
The results of the Punggol East by-election surprised everyone. People expected a very close fight. No one expected PAP, by its own standards, to be thrashed by such a wide margin. Even the professional forecasters who make a living offering odds thought that the PAP was going to win by 1000 votes.
What then went wrong?
When Michael Palmer resigned his seat, the Prime Minister saw no urgency to call for a by-election. He said that there were some national issues to be settled first. On hindsight, perhaps he should have stuck to this initial intention. Unfortunately he did not.
When the Singapore Democratic Party announced its intention to contest the by-election and made known the seriousness of this intention by going on walkabouts and house-to-house visits in impressive style, the PAP changed its mind.
With the SDP’s participation, the PAP probably thought that a 3-cornered fight would kill the opposition’s challenge and hand the PAP an easy victory. Thus, almost immediately after the SDP’s announcement, the by-election was called.
On paper, this is a great strategy — surprise the enemy, fight a battle quickly and attack when the enemy is not ready and in a state of disunity. Do not allow them time to cooperate. Sun Zi, author of The Art of War, would have been very proud of the PAP if not for some miscalculations.
The first miscalculation was to think that the opposition parties were not ready. Within 24 hours of the announcement of the by-election, the SDP, with the efficiency of an SAF recall, had already mobilized its members and supporters and started knocking on the doors. By the time it announced its pull-out, in the interest of opposition unity, it had covered almost the whole of Punggol East and saturated the voters with opposition messages.
Though the SDP did not contest in the end, it had contributed a lot to the opposition vote by giving the residents one round of opposition views. By pulling out, it had also allowed the Workers’ Party to go on an essentially one-to-one fight with the PAP. This was the PAP’s second miscalculation.
When the WP started their campaign, the ground was already softened by the SDP’s early start and by the time it finished their round of house-to-house visits, each household would have received 3 rounds of opposition calls to vote for the opposition (including the campaigns by SDA and Reform Party). With such a massive opposition call to an unhappy electorate, there is only one way the result would go. Though each party did their own thing, they collectively managed to unite the opposition supporters into one voice to send a clear message to let the government know of their unhappiness.
Fighting a war is not just a matter of surprise, speed and disarray in your opponents. It is also about having an experienced general who can lead his men into battle. It is also about the morale and preparedness of your generals and foot soldiers. In spite of the PAP’s reputation for efficiency and a well-oiled machinery, it failed on these counts.
In the past, when the PAP eyes a potential candidate, the least it would do is to let the person understudy a more seasoned MP. This did not seem to be so in the case of Dr Koh Poh Koon. He seemed unprepared and was not keen to contest when he was first asked. Having joined the PAP for only a month, there was definitely inadequate time to prepare him for any election, let alone a snap by-election.
As it turned out, his inexperience showed up glaringly. Some of the bloopers he made would not have been made by a more seasoned campaigner and that probably caused him votes. Imagine telling voters about his alleged abject poverty and then telling them not to give sympathy votes.
It is hard to think that a child of his era, when Singapore was prospering and the PAP was promising the Swiss Standard of Living, would have such deprivation as lack of chopsticks and food. It could happen only with great income disparity and without the policy of a minimum wage. Isn’t it then more logical for a person who has experienced such childhood poverty to join a party like the SDP instead of the PAP?
After all the talk about his humble background, Dr Koh then made a slip of his tongue and said that everybody in Singapore drives a car. Voters must be wondering if the potential office holder is out of touch with reality with such elitist thinking.
The PAP has the practice of parachuting well-qualified people as candidates for elections. In the past things worked out well because these people were sent in way before an election. This gave the person ample time to get to know the grassroots members and to bond with them. In this way, any misgiving of any member towards the candidate initially could be ironed out with time.
In Dr Koh’s case, he had only two weeks. This is too short a time to adjust to supporters who are still mourning the departure of their previous MP. Any newly-appointed football manager knows he needs time before he can get his team to fight for him and achieve peak performance. Thus, without the fire, it is not possible for soldiers to fight a good battle.
The PAP had called for a snap by-election because it wanted to catch the opposition parties off-guard. The parties would not have time to prepare and would fight amongst themselves. Instead, as it turned out, it was the PAP itself that needed more time.

Last edited:

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dr Wong Wee Nam has my respect as an observer, commentator and analyst.

His views are much more insightful than other "observers" like Gillian Koh, Eugene Tan or Derek da Cunha. In particular, Gillian Koh always avoids taking a stand on issues, preferring to issue generic statements like "it will be a close fight" or "it's too close to call" or "only time will tell whether this is a trend". What's the point in making such observations? This is not analysis, this is stating the obvious.

On the other hand, we have analysts like Goh Meng Seng - whose depth and insights are so off the charts that mere mortals like us will never be able to comprehend what he is saying.

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I came across this and immediately realised that Singaporeans needed to know this. Dr Wong Wee Nam is probably the best regarded political strategist and renown analyst. As a medical doctor he runs his own practice. During the Presidential elections, 2 of the candidates sought his endorsement and received it - Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say. He also revealed that he is known to all the candidates, showing how well connected to the body politics of this country.

Wasn't he also trying to be in bed with Tan Chin Bock but was rejected? Wasn't he also an ex-PAP member who had harboured hope of being fielded as a candidate but it never took place?

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

His views are much more insightful than other "observers" like Gillian Koh, Eugene Tan or Derek da Cunha. In particular, Gillian Koh always avoids taking a stand on issues, preferring to issue generic statements like "it will be a close fight" or "it's too close to call" or "only time will tell whether this is a trend". What's the point in making such observations? This is not analysis, this is stating the obvious.

On the other hand, we have analysts like Goh Meng Seng - whose depth and insights are so off the charts that mere mortals like us will never be able to comprehend what he is saying.

Extra terrestials from star system bmxacsc694445513 will find capt (ns) goh meng seng easy to comprehend and straight to the point

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Wasn't he also trying to be in bed with Tan Chin Bock but was rejected? Wasn't he also an ex-PAP member who had harboured hope of being fielded as a candidate but it never took place?

I don't think so. I think he was a former CEC member (or Sec-Gen?) of NSP who contested in a few elections before leaving politics to focus on his medical practice.

There were a few decent NSP guys then - Tan Chee Kien and Steve Chia were part of this gang. Remember that this was a time when almost no professionals dared to join the opposition. NSP had the most qualified candidates. I think this was around 1991 to 1997. The other NSP people were "Chinese towkays" like Sebastian Teo.

CPT (NS) BRANDON

Alfrescian
Loyal
Extra terrestials from star system bmxacsc694445513 will find capt (ns) goh meng seng easy to comprehend and straight to the point

Please do not refer to Goh Meng Seng as being a mere CPT (NS). I hold the rank of CPT (NS) and I would not even dare to contemplate being on a par with him.

He should be referred to as Field Marshal, Generalissimo, or General of the Armies. That would be a rank that would be more befitting.

After all, how many humans can claim to have seen UFOs?

griffin

Alfrescian
Loyal
A good piece of writing by Dr Wong.

There are many fault lines created by PAP policies which are simmering and waiting to erupt. PE is a fairly young estate and its residents are generally young, educated adults. As its latest announced policies favoured the young, PAP could have miscalculated that WP with its Chinese-base would not be able to connect with PE voters unlike Hougang. A costly mistake indeed! Anyone "out there" doing his/her research on ground rumblings would only have to visit the many internet forum discussions to ascertain the level of prevailing grouses of the people and the issues affecting them. Decision makers would have been accordingly briefed but I doubt if any follow-up action was taken to defuse ground dissatisfaction. For instance, the foreigner issue. A couple of years ago when it was disclosed Singapore population would be allowed to balloon to 5 million, there were loud gasps. In spite of this the figures were raised to 6 mil and now to 7 mil. And then there is the perennial housing problem, transportation, cost of living etc. PAP had never effectively released the pressure valve on any problem that has the potential to translate into strong ground discontent. The PAP would by now would have heard that in every heartland loud cheers went up when the PE by-election results were announced. If nothing is done to dissipate this mood, nearly every other constituency, save for the District 10 types, would be good hunting ground for the opposition.

BTW, I have no political affiliation.

Last edited:

Dreamer1

Alfrescian
Loyal
LTK is not bad either,after a shocking high margin victory which must have shaked an 88 years old old man,he quickly went on the charm offensive declaring that WP could not take over the government as it was weak,and assures that PAP is taking time to tackle our problems,he knows too well the danger of a very angry and desperate dangerous old man.
I can not read Dr Chee so well as I only remember all the wrong steps he took before 2011,those were certainly not calculated to win votes even we know Dr Chee was absolutely right,I watch from outside the WP and saw how LTK survive in WP under a very strong leader,took over when the old man left,bullt it up again and now become the largest alternative party in Singapore,his biggest strength is the ability to work with people of higher calibre and that is why he can travel so far,as a Chinese Nanyang graduate who hardly spoke English when he entered politics many years ago.

Last edited:

Spermlord

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hearing Gillian talking and seeing her face makes me wan to puke.....

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sharp of you bro. Whose autograph - Mum, Beyonce or Dr Wong ?

Sadly we have this doctor whose has been writing that appears reasonable but as you can see from this article that he is not altogether.

He was more less discredited after his silly egoistic adventures during the Presidential Elections. Very similar to what Martyn See first met and wrote about Robert Ho only to realise that PM Blair conspiring to fix his son was a bit stretched.

Can I have an autograph?

RandomNexus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I came across this and immediately realised that Singaporeans needed to know this. Dr Wong Wee Nam is probably the best regarded political strategist and renown analyst. ..

And my mother's name is Beyonce

Are you asking us to guess what is fact and fiction based on what you write?

This is my pick. Dr Wong Wee Nam's article is based on fiction.

Scro, for your mother's name being Beyonce, it is more factual than Dr Wong's article.:rolleyes:

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Someone once told me that the smartest person, the one who is grounded on reality and with best grasp of local politics in SDP is Jufrie. I smiled and he told me that he was deadly serious. He also told me that he attended 2 sermons in his life and they were the same - one with City Harvest and the other with SDP. He could distinguish between the prophet and the followers and the exceptions were Jufrie and Gomez.

To your point, Wong Wee Nam and the fairies.

If one mixes with CSJ too much, dreaming of fairies and living in fantasies is not out of place. Seriously, he is not bad at fiction writing :p:biggrin:

FredTan76

Alfrescian
Loyal
WWN is obviously lying.

Less than 40 SDP ppl showed up in Punggol East from 30-Dec till 14-Jan.
They tend to gather in one big grp in front of Rivervale Mall & Plaza.
They visit a block in one big grp & stayed in e void deck chit chatting & toking to e media instead spreading out in smaller grp of 2 to pound every unit above.

Fact: it took LLL 2 elections or more than 20 days to complete her walkabout in 129 blocks in PE with e help of 6 MP, 2NCMP & 2 former GE candidates.
It took WP 840 members & volunteers from members of e public, SPP, SJP, SF & NSP 2 hrs to complete e fliers distribution in all 129 blocks.

And WWN claim SDP can finish all fliers distribution in 24hrs with 40 ppl & complete all block visit from 30-Dec till 14-Jan with just CSJ, CSC, JG, VW, PT & handful SDP former GE candidate????

Conclusion: Lies

BTW, most of 40 ppls that show up for SDP eventually threatened CSJ with resignation & even motion for his expulsion on e eve of 14-Jan.
CSJ were forced to accept their motion to pull out fm e race & forced to read fm a statement they prepared on 15th, a day b4 nomination.

By 12-Jan, when CSJ put forth e WP=TC proposal, SDP has lost almost half of their CEC, members & volunteers who resigned & left.
Earlier, on 9-Jan, most of em were already on e verge after CSJ published all his 3 private emails to Sylvia demanding a meet up again, withut going thru his CEC.

Fact; Tambiyah never even join SDP till nomination day & he has since left e party on 16-Jan.
AYG left party & is now with Michelle & Jarrod in WP.

Hint: Check out what colour AYG is wearing these day on in FB.
And who is he campaigning for during BE2013 @PE and which rally & celebration he attended...

Last edited:

metalmickey

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fact; Tambiyah never even join SDP till nomination day & he has since left e party on 16-Jan.
AYG left party & is now with Michelle & Jarrod in WP.

I'm going to be very perverse here and say why it is that parties like SDP and NSP deserve a chance and should continue doing what they were doing. They are great feeders for the WP. The WP could have had a recruitment policy like the PAP's where they invite people for tea, talk to them and recruit them based on a background check. Or we could have people joining other parties, rising up through the ranks in other parties. Then those people join the WP, if there is a match. The WP doesn't get saddled with people who may or may not be good at politics. They just take in people who are already battle tested. These people already have had their training with the other parties. The WP doesn't need to train them up from scratch. This is a recruitment policy better than anything that the PAP could come up with.

Paul Tambyah was not an SDP member, but he campaigned for SDP during 2011. I was a little startled to find that an NUS professor was campaigning for the SDP.

I'm writing this post with the assumption that what FredTan76 said is true.

@rmadill0

Alfrescian
Loyal
So according to this astute political pundit, WP should thank SDP for the victory then.

I wonder how much SDP pays him to write this piece of trash.