• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How would we rank opposition candidates?

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
If we were to put out a top ten opposition candidates list how would you rank them?

Some suggestions - In no rank of order:

Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Tan Cheng Bock
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean
Kenneth Jeyaratnam
Hazel Poa
Leong Mun Wai
Tan Jee Say
Leong Sze Hian
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam

Feel free to add or leave out anyone to your top ten ranking.

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If we were to put out a top ten opposition candidates list how would you rank them?

Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Tan Cheng Bock
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean
Kenneth Jeyaratnam
Hazel Poa
Leong Mun Wai
Tan Jee Say
Leong Sze Hian
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam

Captain Goh Meng Seng ?

glockman

Old Fart
Asset

Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Tan Cheng Bock
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean
Kenneth Jeyaratnam
Hazel Poa
Leong Mun Wai
Tan Jee Say
Leong Sze Hian
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam

Desmond Lim may not make my list. :biggrin:

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Premier League
Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Tan Cheng Bock
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean

Division 1
Mohd Faisal
Hazel Poa
Leong Sze Hian
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam
Dennis Tan

Division 2
Kenneth Jeyaratnam
Michael Fang
Terrance Tan
Kenneth Foo
Michelle Lee
Yee Jenn Jong
Bradley Bowyer
Spencer Ng
Sebastian Teo

Makes-Opposition-Look-Bad Division
Desmond Lim
Goh Meng Seng
James Gomez
Tan Jee Say

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Premier League
Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Tan Cheng Bock
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean

Division 1
Mohd Faisal
Hazel Poa
Leong Sze Hian
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam
Dennis Tan

Division 2
Kenneth Jeyaratnam
Michael Fang
Terrance Tan
Kenneth Foo
Michelle Lee
Yee Jenn Jong
Bradley Bowyer
Spencer Ng
Sebastian Teo

Makes-Opposition-Look-Bad Division
Desmond Lim
Goh Meng Seng
James Gomez
Tan Jee Say
Thank you @SOS

So CSJ is numero uno for you!

Makes me wonder how much better CSJ would do if he was under the WP or PSP banner!

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you @SOS

So CSJ is numero uno for you!

Makes me wonder how much better CSJ would do if he was under the WP or PSP banner!

He is a determined man. He is a changed man. He raised his kids well.
It is just that his party has baggage, so it is hard for him to cross 50%.

It is not his fault for being unable to cross 50%, they sent Dr Paul Tambyah, and still got defeated.

I agree with you that Dr Paul, Dr Chee and also Dr Tan CB, Mr Low TK, Mr Chen Show Mao can clinched a few SMCs on their own if they contested under WP banner.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
I got a feeling that He TingRu will be like Sylvia Lim, eventually become the mother of WP.
I got a feeling that Jamus Lim will quarrel with Pritam Singh if Pritam stopped WP from being aggressive in Parliament like Low TK.
I got a feeling that Chen Show Mao will run for the next Presidency and hope his votes will not be diluted.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
TCB is my number # 1.

He is already well off, retired and elderly but yet he made an effort to come back to save Singapore from further political, economic and social deterioration.

He has absolutely no personal gains whatsoever except to restore back Singapore's dignity from the bungling 4G overpaid arrogant assholes.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
He is a determined man. He is a changed man. He raised his kids well.
It is just that his party has baggage, so it is hard for him to cross 50%.

It is not his fault for being unable to cross 50%, they sent Dr Paul Tambyah, and still got defeated.

I agree with you that Dr Paul, Dr Chee and also Dr Tan CB, Mr Low TK, Mr Chen Show Mao can clinched a few SMCs on their own if they contested under WP banner.

Thanks.

Would you agree with me that the SDP brand is more a hindrance than a help? Time for SDP to dissolve?

My worry for CSJ is that other parties may see him as a liability and not take him in.

And also whether the public in sg think CSJ is synonymous with SDP.

I think if CSJ can convince WP to take him in there will be a few synergies

People will see CSJ as being humble enough to step down as a leader and join WP and be under another leadership. The WP brand could be strengthened as well with die hard CSJ supporters.

Of course there is the other possibility where CSJ joined WP and then tried to take over leadership just like he did with SDP and Chiam See Tong and end up destroying the WP.

It is for this reason that I am not optimistic of CSJ ever making it to parliament. There is just so much against him.

I guess he will stick around with SDP and keep doing the same and somehow hoping the result will be different for him. Time is on his side.

However for the other opposition candidates my advice to you is to avoid SDP. Join WP or even PSP. Also avoid all the small small irrelevant parties.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks.

Would you agree with me that the SDP brand is more a hindrance than a help? Time for SDP to dissolve?

My worry for CSJ is that other parties may see him as a liability and not take him in.

People will see CSJ as being humble enough to step down as a leader and join WP and be under another leadership. The WP brand could be strengthened as well with die hard CSJ supporters.

Of course there is the other possibility where CSJ joined WP and then tried to take over leadership just like he did with SDP and Chiam See Tong and end up destroying the WP.

It is for this reason that I am not optimistic of CSJ ever making it to parliament. There is just so much against him.

I guess he will stick around with SDP and keep doing the same and somehow hoping the result will be different for him. Time is on his side.

However for the other opposition candidates my advice to you is to avoid SDP. Join WP or even PSP. Also avoid all the small small irrelevant parties.

Nothing wrong with SDP, even Dr Paul Tambyah joined them and SDP did a lot of groundworks before elections.

SDP put up an excellent fight but they can't get any seat. This party has baggage. Some highly educated seniors still missed the Ling How Doong and Chiam See Tong's era. SDP is filled with many good passionate professional members but the middle ground and less-educated are less able to relate to their language. This will perpetually hinder SDP's chance to cross 50%, even if they feature top-notch Dr Paul Tambyah. The only way forward is to merge with WP. WP will be able to penetrate the districts in the west by tapping on SDP's past groundworks. It must be a merger. It cannot be an alliance or WP's takeover; to leave no chance for moles to sow discords. I hope the visionaries in both parties will make this happen.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
TCB is my number # 1.

He is already well off, retired and elderly but yet he made an effort to come back to save Singapore from further political, economic and social deterioration.

He has absolutely no personal gains whatsoever except to restore back Singapore's dignity from the bungling 4G overpaid arrogant assholes.

My problem with TCB is that he is ex PAP. Remember he only resigned from the PAP in May 2011 for the purpose of running for the Singapore Presidency.

This means that TCB stayed with the PAP through much of what PAP represents today.

All the defamation suits against JBJ and CSJ. All the GRC formations. Francis Seow. Tang Liang Hong. CECA was signed in 2005. Where was TCB? He was in the PAP. Did he object and protest and resign? No he did not.

So TCB is party to all the bad things people are not happy with the PAP. He was willingly a part of it all till 2011.

I think TCB seeks to clear his conscience. But he should have resigned much earlier and joined opposition if he truly cared. If I met him I would ask when exactly did it dawn on you that the PAP was bad?

His answer would reveal what triggered him. It might be something personal rather than to do with Sg.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks.

Csj is still very much a net liability as long as the older voters is still around. People still haven't forget and forgive. His good showing was due to younger voters and the bad performance of Murali on local issues.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Csj is still very much a net liability as long as the older voters is still around. People still haven't forget and forgive. His good showing was due to younger voters and the bad performance of Murali on local issues.

Frankly I dont think CSJ would fare any different if he ran under a party or as an independent candidate.

But by having people run under the SDP banner synonymous with CSJ they get his baggage which is not good for them.

Paul Tambyah has to leave SDP. Go to PSP. Or WP.

3_M

Alfrescian
Loyal
PT ideology is too liberal left which doesn't fit into psp or WP.

It better for CSJ to hand over the reins to PT and take up the post of hon chairman of sdp. In such a way csj still can continue to campaign in BB under sdp while while allowing other sdp candidates to offload the csj baggage.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
PT ideology is too liberal left which doesn't fit into psp or WP.

It better for CSJ to hand over the reins to PT and take up the post of hon chairman of sdp. In such a way csj still can continue to campaign in BB under sdp while while allowing other sdp candidates to offload the csj baggage.
That is another option.

PT is liberal left I agree.

If people were to read along those more in depth lines about the actual ideology of SDP they may actually lose some votes.

Majority Sg are conservatives.

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Chee Soon Juan
Sylvia Lim
Pritam Singh
Jamus Lim
Nicole Seah
He Ting Ru
Ang Yong Guan
Paul Tambyah
Lim Tean
Leon Perrera
Gerald Giam
Yen Yee Jong

TOP 12 (above) for being persistently vocal, surpassing PAP candidates, as provened over the years. Can't think of anyone in the oppposition camp able to do that. Low Thia Kiang stepped down, otherwise i will add his name above. If you bring all the above 12 into parliament, PAP will shed more fears and tears. It was so close.

Gallego99

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm surprised that the list did not include the Malay minority. Don't underestimate the Malays. In a keenly contested multiracial election, every single race counts. It's the difference between victory and defeat, yet so little credit is given to Manap chap in Aljunied. Disappointed.:frown:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
TOP 12 (above) for being persistently vocal, surpassing PAP candidates, as provened over the years. Can't think of anyone in the oppposition camp able to do that. Low Thia Kiang stepped down, otherwise i will add his name above. If you bring all the above 12 into parliament, PAP will shed more fears and tears. It was so close.
You have 4 already. 1/3.

Now....dont you think they would fare better chance of getting into Parliament if they all were to join forces under the same party?

CSJ seems to be no 1. But it is the complete opposite when it comes to election results. He has been around so long with nothing to show for.

He should stand as an independent.