• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How to escape the Women Charter and have a fairer Marriage

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all,

I got a really big question. Me and my boyfriend are planning to get married next November. Everything seems to be going fine. His parents have been really really generous and would be paying for the entire wedding including flying all the guest to maldives. This was until last weekend, when i was over at his place.

His parents brought up the topic of us registering our marriage in US and getting a pre nup done. Actually to rub salt into the wound, the pre nup was already drafted and my boyfriend / hubby to be already signed it. I have never seen a pre nup before, but I didn't expect it to run into over 100 pages.

So that brings me to this question. My boyfriend is a American born Chinese, and I am a singaporean. I have heard that pre nups are not valid in singapore, is it true?

Also, the biggest question is, should I sign on it and what are the implications.

Desirae.

http://forums.asiaone.com/showthread.php?t=33015

bodycells

Alfrescian
Loyal
pre nup is the thing that show your true love to your husband to be and not married to suck him dry. As a good woman that you desire to be, sign it. It will make you look good.

It also shows that you do not need your husband money to be with him and you are independent to finance yourself, is that what first world woman should be?

If you are not up to it like most sinkie woman, then pls stay away from him.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well ,i think PRE NUP in USA is very very normal.

If she don sign the pre nup, how will they gurantee that the woman won't suck his family dry using Singapore's woman charter ? Later go to US court and suck another sum of money from his hubby's family ?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Well ,i think PRE NUP in USA is very very normal.

If she don sign the pre nup, how will they gurantee that the woman won't suck his family dry using Singapore's woman charter ? Later go to US court and suck another sum of money from his hubby's family ?

You brought up an interesting issue, is the Spore's Women Charter recognised in the US as a valid law:confused:

The Women's Charter is slanted towards females & the US believes in equality among the sexes.

congo9

Alfrescian
Loyal
if she register her marriage in USA, of course ....Singapore woman's charter don apply. Unless her hubby apply for Sinkiepore citizenship.

Like you said , they believe in equality of sexes !

silliporean

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all,

So that brings me to this question. My boyfriend is a American born Chinese, and I am a singaporean. I have heard that pre nups are not valid in singapore, is it true?

Also, the biggest question is, should I sign on it and what are the implications.

Desirae.

Desirae,

Don't be a FOOL!!

If you sign that pre nub, you are telling him that he can dump yo anytime he so wished. If he trust you, there is nothing to sign that run into 100s of pages.

If he truly loves you, get registered and married in Singapore instead and hold the wedding party in both lands - Singapore and USA. There is no country that will not recognize the marriage certificate if they are married under the law of the land.

Been there done that...

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
All the ang mos should introduce the pre nups to all Singaporean men .

And make the Singaporean women to sign pre-nups .

That will be a refreshing start . See if most women will follow the agreement .

If more men doing it and there is a shortage of men .

Then it will become a norm over time .

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you guys give this kind of advice, the world will end up on its head. Where the marriage occurs has little relevance on the divorce. The same with the pre-nups. He can have 500 pages but most jurisdication don't recognise it. Even in the US, prenup are rare though the term is often used. Pre-nup eventually lose their effectiveness as the years add up in a marriage. The pre-nups are only good for the first few months and even then they have been successfully challenged in a number of cases.

It obvious that the prospective in-laws are loaded if they are prepared to pay for the guest flying to Maldives. Its their fortune and they want to protect. In such cases, the lady asking the question is more an attempt at bravado. You can literally tell her to reject it but she won't. She will never even attempt to suggest amendments.

If she really wants to stand on her 2 feet, she should have a 2 pages pre-nup of her own that specifies that she is agreeable to the other pre-nup except that it becomes invalid if her husband commits adultery and her pre-nup then supersedes his and the legal jurisdiction is in Singapore. I like to see her boyfriend squirm out of it. After all he has only one condition to meet - fidelity.

In essence she is not after the money but seeking fidelity. I like to see her boyfriend argue around that.

jw5

Loyal
It doesn't really matter whether it's valid or not.
If she refuses to sign it, the guy's family will suspect that she's up to no good.

The best way to overcome such concerns is to not get married.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you guys give this kind of advice, the world will end up on its head. Where the marriage occurs has little relevance on the divorce. The same with the pre-nups. He can have 500 pages but most jurisdication don't recognise it. Even in the US, prenup are rare though the term is often used. Pre-nup eventually lose their effectiveness as the years add up in a marriage. The pre-nups are only good for the first few months and even then they have been successfully challenged in a number of cases.

It obvious that the prospective in-laws are loaded if they are prepared to pay for the guest flying to Maldives. Its their fortune and they want to protect. In such cases, the lady asking the question is more an attempt at bravado. You can literally tell her to reject it but she won't. She will never even attempt to suggest amendments.

If she really wants to stand on her 2 feet, she should have a 2 pages pre-nup of her own that specifies that she is agreeable to the other pre-nup except that it becomes invalid if her husband commits adultery and her pre-nup then supersedes his and the legal jurisdiction is in Singapore. I like to see her boyfriend squirm out of it. After all he has only one condition to meet - fidelity.

In essence she is not after the money but seeking fidelity. I like to see her boyfriend argue around that.

Well said. I was tempted to respond to some of the posts then I read yours.

tanwahtiu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello all,

I got a really big question. Me and my boyfriend are planning to get married next November. Everything seems to be going fine. His parents have been really really generous and would be paying for the entire wedding including flying all the guest to maldives. This was until last weekend, when i was over at his place.

His parents brought up the topic of us registering our marriage in US and getting a pre nup done. Actually to rub salt into the wound, the pre nup was already drafted and my boyfriend / hubby to be already signed it. I have never seen a pre nup before, but I didn't expect it to run into over 100 pages.

Desirae.

Simple, tell his parents that if you sign you only 'pa chu cheng' to his son. if no sign his son can 'sio kan' with you.

giggity_shit

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with scroball.

Pre-nups are more to protect the family wealth (estate, business, land...etc) and doesnt mean the woman is disadvantaged in a divorce.

eQuipment

Alfrescian
Loyal
option 1: have a pre-nup agreement to over-write the charter
option 2: don't register marriage in sg
option 3: get a foreign bride

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
At least a good gauge to see if the women is there to suck you of your money if the marriage ends in divorce.

NoNewsGood

Alfrescian
Loyal
It DOES NOT MATTER where the marriage is registered. The Singapore Women's Charter will be applicable if one of the spouse is domicile in Singapore.

The Singapore Women's Charter will not be applicable if BOTH spouses are NOT domicile in Singapore.

Some years ago, an ang mo husband tried to file for divorce in Singapore under the Women's Charter. The wife came to Singapore and challenged the divorce saying that the Women's Charter is not applicable in that both spouses were not domicile in Singapore. That the husband's wanting to file for divorce in Singapore is because he wanted to escape the hefty aligmony award he would get if he were to divorce in the US. The Singapore court agreed with the wife.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
option 1: have a pre-nup agreement to over-write the charter
option 2: don't register marriage in sg
option 3: get a foreign bride

hi there

1. my advice to the guy but not to desirae (is this a name or what?).
2. don't marry the spg.
3. marry someone easier.
4. never do it in sheepishland, men are at the disadvantage.

williamsF1

Alfrescian
Loyal
i read this article i LOL inside. this SPG kena snooked big time by her hubby & in-laws (to be). she thought that she kena the big fish liao, then now kena pre-nup. being a bimbo that she is, she can either suck it up & sign on it, or she can hang herself up high & make salted fish.