• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How should Singapore bail out SIA?

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
The crash of the aviation industry affected Singapore airlines but it is not the sole reason that ruined them. Shutting down passenger operations reduces much of their variable costs and their air cargo business is still viable.

If SIA is a bus company, it also likes to buy-sell buses because they enjoyed <2%pa financing. Doing so in the past, gave SIA a youthful fleet and high-resale value for their planes. However, this bus company is now facing over capacity in the industry and new buses are likely to be cheaper than old buses.

This time, analysts are projecting SIA to lose $1.2 billion. (I suspect higher) Bear in mind that depreciation of current fleet and loss of passenger traffic will not cost them $3m loss/day. SIA is also like a bus company that speculates in oil futures. If you are on the wrong side, you bet $1, may lose $5 if you don't unwind your positions. In the past, when SIA bet wrongly, they can jolly-well charge a higher fare to passengers. This time, nobody expects oil to crash below US$22. They certainly lost a lot more than the amount they bet if they delayed the unwinding of their positions.

I believe Singapore will bail out them eventually because of national pride. However, there is more economic sense for SIA to go bust and restructure the debts before Singapore bails them out. Will we use our brains or hearts to save SIA?

Reference -
SIA bets on oil prices going up as it extends fuel hedging
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/sia-bets-on-oil-prices-going-up-as-it-extends-fuel-hedging

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
By the time this virus pass, oil may go up to usd40 so the losses won't be so bad.
Besides, economy may suddenly restart with enthusiasm causing a shortage of oil. Who knows?

LaoTze

Alfrescian
Loyal

And they keep their condos and makan makan at restaurants and Gucci bags and cars and Rolek watches and YSL and Kate Spades
all given free to them hor?
Or their loving MPs and maggots maggotess pay for them all hor!

Emoji Laugh GIF - Emoji Laugh Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

Laughing Emoji GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY

1583903024800.png

Forward this on your WhatsApp and make this go viral.
Get this onto the handphones of all in Singapore

VOTE OUT ALL THE MAGGOTS AND MAGGOTESS IN WHITE AND TURN STINKAPORE BACK INTO SINGAPORE
OR OUR KIDS END UP BECOMING SECURITY GUARDS TO BE KICKED IN FACE BY CECAs OR PANDA FOOD DELIVERIES OR PICKING UP CARDBOARDS OR SELLING TISSUE PAPER IN HAWKER CENTERS

And why Stinkapore got the GOLD Standard for wuhan control?

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The crash of the aviation industry affected Singapore airlines but it is not the sole reason that ruined them. Shutting down passenger operations reduces much of their variable costs and their air cargo business is still viable.

If SIA is a bus company, it also likes to buy-sell buses because they enjoyed <2%pa financing. Doing so in the past, gave SIA a youthful fleet and high-resale value for their planes. However, this bus company is now facing over capacity in the industry and new buses are likely to be cheaper than old buses.

This time, analysts are projecting SIA to lose $1.2 billion. (I suspect higher) Bear in mind that depreciation of current fleet and loss of passenger traffic will not cost them $3m loss/day. SIA is also like a bus company that speculates in oil futures. If you are on the wrong side, you bet $1, may lose $5 if you don't unwind your positions. In the past, when SIA bet wrongly, they can jolly-well charge a higher fare to passengers. This time, nobody expects oil to crash below US$22. They certainly lost a lot more than the amount they bet if they delayed the unwinding of their positions.

I believe Singapore will bail out them eventually because of national pride. However, there is more economic sense for SIA to go bust and restructure the debts before Singapore bails them out. Will we use our brains or hearts to save SIA?

Reference -
SIA bets on oil prices going up as it extends fuel hedging
https://www.straitstimes.com/business/sia-bets-on-oil-prices-going-up-as-it-extends-fuel-hedging

when i read this piece of news, i really face palm! it's no secret oil price is rigged and many pple out there already known how it was being manipulated, the gang at SIA still stupidly go and hedge the oil price. they should be fired! now, i can roughly know why s'pore cannot survive in long term. even lky says joining back to matland is possible.

knowwhatyouwantinlife

Alfrescian
Loyal
when i read this piece of news, i really face palm! it's no secret oil price is rigged and many pple out there already known how it was being manipulated, the gang at SIA still stupidly go and hedge the oil price. they should be fired! now, i can roughly know why s'pore cannot survive in long term. even lky says joining back to matland is possible.
When they did their hedging at $76 oil was probably $60...then putin slapped the shieks and corona came to party..benefits of hindsight again eh

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hedging is not uncommon among airlines. Some like Hainan Airlines don't hedge so they can offer very cheap airfares when oil prices are low. Some like SIA hedges, so that when oil prices are high, they can make more money, or let the passengers absorb their losses when oil prices are low. Now, the sudden collapse of oil will exponentially increase their losses from hedging and unable to pass on the losses to passengers because they stopped flying.

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every airline hedge against oil prices... every airline would have suffered losses when oil price drops and this time even worse with USD at record high. Don't buy any airline stocks yet, the details of the bailout are not clear and it is only to ensure survival of the airlines, shareholders' value are at risk. For example, the bailout will almost include a dividends freeze, that is to say there will be no dividends paid out till all the loans are repaid. Air NZ even retracted their dividends which they already announced early this year and which was to be paid out this month, gone.. the dividends.
Secondly, the loan will almost also carry with it the option to convert them to shares at lower-than-current prices, which when exercised will severely impact stock value. Wait and see first... but hedging against oil price is an industry-wide practice, nothing new... and most would have suffered this time.

Last edited:

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every airline hedge against oil prices... every airline would have suffered losses when oil price drops and this time even worse with USD at record high. Don't buy any airline stocks yet, the details of the bailout are not clear and it is only to ensure survival of the airlines, shareholders' value are at risk. For example, the bailout will almost include a dividends freeze, that is to say there will be no dividends paid out till all the loans are repaid. Air NZ even retracted their dividends which they already announced early this year and which was to be paid out this month, gone.. the dividends.
Secondly, the loan will almost also carry with it the option to convert them to shares at lower-than-current prices, which when exercised will severely impact stock value. Wait and see first... but hedging against oil price is an industry-wide practice, nothing new... and most would have suffered this time.

Yes, if you want to buy, wait till temasek goes in first, eg. rights-issue to raise funds for SIA.
check the discount on rights issue.

Byebye Penis

Alfrescian
Loyal
SIA needs to cum clean their outstanding futures position because our country helps them.

For example, assume oil is $20 now
if oil is US$10, their losses will be doubled from now.
If oil is US$30, their losses will be half from now