• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

How come a Confucian Society can have a 27-year old little girl as their MP?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - 27-year old little girl as their MP?</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>LauZoeTay <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>4:46 am </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 5) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>46927.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>GE2011/12 - How come a Confucian Society can have a 27-year old little girl as their MP?

Singapore is a Confucian Society, a heriarchical society rigidly bound by its immigrant roots -a nd Chinese at that - with its respect for the Elder, and observing decorum liek George Yeo said in Parliament during Catherine Lim Saga "No big, no small".

We are really a Confucian Society.
Proof?
Ask MP Seah Kian Peng then who just enhanced legalised Filial Piety with an imporved version of MPA.

By selecting Ms Tin Pei Ling as PAP Candidate, isn't it a classic case of "No Big, no small"?

Or proven that PAP is detached and arrogance in its righteousness as "Never mind what you think, we know what is best for you"?

Nobody can fault the quality, merit and her eagerness to serve as a PAP Candidate.

What I can fault is her image as a little girl and on TV, still speak like a little school girl and I was taken aback as her image as a teenager and worse, really speak like a teenager.

Like Steve Chia with his infamous "naked photographs", I felt that her image had been soiled by thoae personanl facebook account of her with those images of her living a "high society" life-style and psoing with designer clothes like Katie Spade...etc..etc...

And Opposiiton will pounce on her as hiding behind a strong "GRC Leader" at Marine Parade GRC, riding to political office not on her own merits, but via backdoor.

No matter how meritious is her candidacy and how competent and compassion is her in her 8 year sor more grassroot works, PAP had overlooked the perception of the General Public that:
- she married the right man in her long-term planning to attain political office?
- how can a 27-year old Aristocrat living in High Society connect with ageing Baby-boomer.
- is she really connecting with Gen-Y when she lives in her own stratospheric Ivory Tower far far above ant-like Hoi Polloi toilign beneath her?

I am cynical and what about this Cosnpiracy Theory:
Then she is an ambitious woman, strong-willed and calculative and planned her way into political office with all the right moves, right connections and joining the right grassroot organisations?

I do nto doubt her sincerity to serve, but I question her personal agenda on personal ambition.
At 27 eyar old, what path she ahd decided to choose - Private Sector or full-time political career?
Or being an MP is just one more step of her ambition to climb the Corporate World to its very peak within two terms of her political office?

You want Ting Pei Ling to prove herself and demonstrate her mettle as a politician?

Then, throw her into that cauldron of a SMC like Potong PAsir SMC or Whampoa SMC or Senglang West SMC or Punggol East SMC to win the election on her wn merits.

Thisi will provide an effective gauge of her acceptance as PAP Canddiate, rather that hidign behind the cloaktail of a GRC leader.
Even she wins, she will be laugh wth derisory as a little girl who can't win election on her own..

Remember, Hoi Polloi may look at her as "Seet Ai Mei the Second" and that infamous "fishmonger's handshake" which so undone her.

I will prefer Ting Pei Ling to withdraw her candidacy or insist that she be field in a SMC to fight her own battle as a PAP candidate.

otherwise by fielding her in a GRC, she had lsoe all moral rights to represent her constiuents...merely just a pretty little thing of a figure-head selected by PAP to appease and appeal to Gen-Y,

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Qantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you notice, the government has not been harping on the Confucian thingy for quite a no. of years. They know that times have changed and this is irreversable.