• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Housewife politician no horse run put the hammers to shame

jixiaolan

Alfrescian
Loyal
I do not care whether opposition politician talk like a housewife auntie which you can find them in a fish market but when one could support and articulate her points with such explicit clarity, she deserve my vote.

http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/shorten-national-service-says-ncmp-lina-chiam/

"the following is NCMP Lina Chiam's speech in Parliament: Cuts – Ministry of Defence on National Service:

I agree with the Government that the security and defence of Singapore is not to be taken for granted, and that citizens should play an active role through National Service.

However I wish to raise two points in this regard which deserve our due consideration.

The first relates to various proposals to have National Service shortened from the current 2 years to 1 year or so. In its place, the professional armed force can be further built up by boosting the incentives for young men and women to join as regulars.

Taiwan has announced that it will cut its length of military conscription from 1 year to just 4 months next year. South Korea has set it at 21 months. This leaves Singapore as the country with the second longest fixed conscription length in the world, just behind Israel.

I’m sure this House will agree that South Korea and Taiwan are not in any less need of a strong armed force than Singapore. If anything, their armed forces have been called up for actual combat action in the past two decades.

My main reason for advocating the shortening of NS is that since the Government has welcomed such a large number of foreigners into our workforce in the past decade, Singaporean males urgently need to close the gap as to when they start their working life.

This relates to my second point – which is that some employers prefer to hire foreigners over Singaporeans, because Singaporean males are liable for reservist training. Understandably, the employer is left in a lurch when the employee cannot show up for work, particularly when the job in question is labour intensive.

If the resentment among those Singaporeans affected is left unchecked, the result will be the complete opposite of what the Government has set out to achieve with National Service, namely, to inculcate a commitment to Singapore’s defence.

How does the Government plan to address this? "

Last edited:

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry to say, the "Hammers" already swallowed up the attention of the auntie. Good effort though, it's not easy to be politically untalented trying to stand out among the 7 other politically more astute.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Taiwan has announced that it will cut its length of military conscription from 1 year to just 4 months next year. South Korea has set it at 21 months. This leaves Singapore as the country with the second longest fixed conscription length in the world, just behind Israel.

I’m sure this House will agree that South Korea and Taiwan are not in any less need of a strong armed force than Singapore. If anything, their armed forces have been called up for actual combat action in the past two decades.

lianbeng noted that aunty mentioned other countries - why compare molehill with mountain?:confused:
better conscript that lao charbor to serve all the 3 forces ie army, airforce n navy until she died n rotten lah!:mad:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
It is always about doing a comparison then we will know what's good and what is bad, what is acceptable and what is not.

bro,
you could have waited 24hrs, seems like Pritam presented his piece.
now me looking for bro madmansg to present his piece.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It is always about doing a comparison then we will know what's good and what is bad, what is acceptable and what is not.

You're just anti-WP because it's the biggest opposition party but not speaking on your favorite topics. Big or small, how can WP speak on everything anyway? Must leave some for other opposition parties. Anyway, things are backfiring already with WP top supporter of NS, i.e. YSL who signed on extended reservist.

Anytime from now he may get an ICT, IPPT or mob call-up, and he'd have to arrange for someone as proxy in Singapore to receive it and furnish valid reason for an exit permit, or come back to apply for himself a long-term exit permit or discharge. Otherwise, he'd be arrested on his next landing in a Singapore port or airport. My best advice to him is to come back quietly and settle this himself first, then go wherever he wants. And my best advice to others, don't do a silly thing like signing on reservist extension. We all never know what's coming on next to hit us and we need to run in hurry.

Last edited:

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You're just anti-WP because it's the biggest opposition party but not speaking on your favorite topics. Big or small, how can WP speak on everything anyway? Must leave some for other opposition parties. Anyway, things are backfiring already with WP top supporter of NS, i.e. YSL who signed on extended reservist.

Why are you attacking your friend JXL? He did not say anything inflammatory. Lina is but one voice, but she has put in her level best. Of course, I agree that overall each WP member has done better, but that's no reason to get pig headed. Improvements can and must always be made.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why are you attacking your friend JXL? He did not say anything inflammatory. Lina is but one voice, but she has put in her level best. Of course, I agree that overall each WP member has done better, but that's no reason to get pig headed. Improvements can and must always be made.

I'm neither attacking anyone nor getting pigheaded. I'm just stating and analyzing facts. WP however big as of now can't speak on everything. There're other NCMPs and NMPs around. As one's favorite topic against PAP, I can understand the disappointment he felt that it wasn't brought up by WP but another perceived to be weaker has brought it up. Once again, I re-emphasize my point, WP is still not big enough to speak on everything.

Last edited:

gobuster

Alfrescian
Loyal
Stupid copycat idea of having a professional army like Taiwan. Just no way to have sufficient people to join it and too expensive. With low birth rate all these years, where find people to join army and take up jobs to fuel economy? Get retirees to join the professional army? Get more FT to work while our boys join professional army?

The first relates to various proposals to have National Service shortened from the current 2 years to 1 year or so. In its place, the professional armed force can be further built up by boosting the incentives for young men and women to join as regulars.

Taiwan has announced that it will cut its length of military conscription from 1 year to just 4 months next year. South Korea has set it at 21 months.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I'm neither attacking anyone nor getting pigheaded. I'm just stating and analyzing facts. WP however big as of now can't speak on everything. There're other NCMPs and NMPs around. As one's favorite topic against PAP, I can understand the disappointment he felt that it wasn't brought up by WP but another perceived to be weaker has brought it up. Once again, I re-emphasize my point, WP is still not big enough to speak on everything.

No one is disputing that. No one is also disputing that Lina C. brought up issues not fully elaborated in parliament by WP. I re-emphasize my point, Lina has done her level best and deserves credit.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
South Korea is still technically at war with North Korea, with troops stationed all the DMZ? 28K+ US troops stationed there.:confused:

i think housewife chiam does not realise that singapore is actually more vulnerable than korea or taiwan.

yahoo55

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://theonlinecitizen.com/2012/03/shorten-national-service-says-ncmp-lina-chiam/

"the following is NCMP Lina Chiam's speech in Parliament: Cuts – Ministry of Defence on National Service:

I agree with the Government that the security and defence of Singapore is not to be taken for granted, and that citizens should play an active role through National Service.

However I wish to raise two points in this regard which deserve our due consideration.

My main reason for advocating the shortening of NS is that since the Government has welcomed such a large number of foreigners into our workforce in the past decade, Singaporean males urgently need to close the gap as to when they start their working life.

This relates to my second point – which is that some employers prefer to hire foreigners over Singaporeans, because Singaporean males are liable for reservist training. Understandably, the employer is left in a lurch when the employee cannot show up for work, particularly when the job in question is labour intensive.

If the resentment among those Singaporeans affected is left unchecked, the result will be the complete opposite of what the Government has set out to achieve with National Service, namely, to inculcate a commitment to Singapore’s defence.

Totally agree with Lina Chiam, well done madam. NS is too bloody long and put Singaporean men at a serious disadvantage to the FTs and PRs. This is one of the reasons I hate PAP.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think housewife chiam does not realise that singapore is actually more vulnerable than korea or taiwan.
mainland china will never attack taiwan. they will be most stupid to destroy billions and billions of money and killed fellow chinese.

north korea is just a bunch of air talk...even so, usa has troops in s korea and the north would not do anything.

as for sinkapore, it is bordered by muslims...imagine if 1 million refugees start to sampan over from riau islands...what will u sinkies do?

The Chinese is known through out history, when they had emperor, right up to Republic and now; to sell each other out over money, you are wrong on the Chinese.

Last edited:

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
asking u why workers party never raise this lah...
simple housewife lina chiam can raise this impt stuff and wp bo raise lah...

lianbeng noted difference in perspective.:biggrin:
how many housewives are there in wp? housewives must wash n iron sons uniforms mah so shorter ns better mah.