• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Households earning more in 2014: SingStat

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
TITLE: Households earning more in 2014: SingStat

By Alice Chia
POSTED: 16 Feb 2015 14:05
URL: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/households-earning-more/1661918.html

Median monthly household income among resident employed households from work rose from S$7,870 in 2013 to S$8,290 in 2014, a 5.3 per cent increase in nominal terms, or a 4.1 per cent increase in real terms.
SINGAPORE: Households are earning more in 2014 compared to the previous year, according to the latest report by the Singapore Department of Statistics (SingStat) on "Key Household Income Trends, 2014".

Median monthly household income among resident employed households - a household headed by a Singapore citizen or Permanent Resident and with at least one working person - from work rose from S$7,870 in 2013 to S$8,290 in 2014. This is a 5.3 per cent increase in nominal terms, or a 4.1 per cent increase in real terms, after taking inflation into account.

Median monthly income from each member of the household also rose from S$2,247 in 2013 to S$2,380 in 2014. This is an increase of 5.9 per cent in nominal terms, or 4.7 per cent in real terms.

Overall, resident households received S$3,370 per household member on average from various Government schemes in 2014. This is 25 per cent higher than the average amount of S$2,700 received five years ago, in 2009.

However, this was lower than the average of S$3,650 received in 2013, owing to a lower level of one-off transfers in 2014, said SingStat. Government structural transfers - transfers excluding one-off payments, rose in 2014 compared to 2013.

- CNA/av

Cerebral

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
These stats are rather dubious. Why does household income need to include Permanent Residents?

Permanent Residents only are able to become PR when they both hold a job and of desirable salary. By the virtue of this process, household incomes will definite creep upwards, but this does not indicate that the Singaporeans are.doing well overall.

You wouldn't know if 2% or 3% of the total 5.3% may be from such a scenario.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
You usually have strong evidence when you say something like this. Mind to share with me?

I once was eating with a friend who was cursing and swearing about PAP non-stop. He kept comparing LKY and PAP to people/groups like Mugabe, North Korea and the CCP. I then reminded him that he was complaining bitterly about PAP in a public restaurant that served bak kut teh. I reminded my friend that in places like Zimbabwe, people had barely enough to eat, let alone eat a good meal in a restaurant. I also pointed out to him that he felt confident enough about the rule of law that he could complain about PAP in public without being worried of getting arrested in the middle of the night. There are also internet forums and blogs that allow sinkies to vent their anger and curse PAP.

From time to time, it is important to put into perspective how "bad" or "oppressive" PAP is. Ever tried being the opposition in places like Burma, Zimbabwe or even in communist China?