• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hougang BE - the "open-ended" faux pas

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a saying "turn the other cheek" for a reason - when one is being "slapped" so to speak and returns that, both parties are in the same moral position and this factor will be eradicated as a determinant on higher moral ground, shifting to other factors.

By announcing that they will keep their cards open on the Hougang by-election, the NSP and TJS (and his new party if so) is explicitly though indirectly stating that avoiding 3-corner fights is not inherently within their principles or values. Even if they do not do so in the end (ie enter the Hougang BE), this may open them to negotiating problems later in 2016, as they lose the moral authority to ask WP or other parties (eg. SDP, SPP) to allow them a straight fight on this basis.

On top of that, if Hougang which was a WP held ward can be open-ended, more so for wards under the PAP even if they had been the last contesting opposition. I believe that could be why SDP was eager to declare that they would not enter the Hougang BE. Desmond Lim also keeps his moral ground on the basis that it was WP, not him, who was the 3rd party. As for the NSP and TJS, this "open-ended" faux pas may well spell an end to future requests that 3-corners fights be averted.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
NSP under GSM was a total disaster and proof that he is not fit to be a politician. The repeat should not happen.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
To clarify, I am referring to the NSP with Seb, Hazel, Jeanette, Theng, Nicole, Tony etc. The Hougang BE episode begins from Feb 2012.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
NSP under GSM was a total disaster and proof that he is not fit to be a politician. The repeat should not happen.

He leads NSP in 2011 election with an national average percentage of 42.78%, how can that be counted as a disaster?

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He leads NSP in 2011 election with an national average percentage of 42.78%, how can that be counted as a disaster?
He did not win. If you look, where there are opposition candidates fielded, the average is around 40ish percent as compared to the the incumbent. That is no achievement for somebody who has been running so long in elections. Even first timer Lina Chiam can score 49.64%. We know Lina not the vocal type some more. So voters are voting against the PAP for their attitude and deceit. GMS still cannot capitalize on it after so many years and go and fight in wards with opposition candidates fielded. This is called ego trip and not meant for Singapore. Strategy wise, he sucks. Talk big after you get into Parliament, not just run for elections.

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
He did not win. If you look, where there are opposition candidates fielded, the average is around 40ish percent as compared to the the incumbent. That is no achievement for somebody who has been running so long in elections. Even first timer Lina Chiam can score 49.64%. We know Lina not the vocal type some more. So voters are voting against the PAP for their attitude and deceit. GMS still cannot capitalize on it after so many years and go and fight in wards with opposition candidates fielded. This is called ego trip and not meant for Singapore. Strategy wise, he sucks. Talk big after you get into Parliament, not just run for elections.

The national average for all opposition parties is 39.xx%, so NSP score is higher, isn't it? I see it as a good grounding for the next election. Not the best of result, but nevertheless it is far from being a disaster.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thank you, my mistake.

You are welcome.

Personally and objectively, I do not think NSP is "better" or "worse". With the influx of the former RP group leading to others giving way, they gained something, lost something else. Many of these who gave way were organisers. Today's NSP is a mere "press statement party".

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
By announcing that they will keep their cards open on the Hougang by-election, the NSP and TJS (and his new party if so) is explicitly though indirectly stating that avoiding 3-corner fights is not inherently within their principles or values. Even if they do not do so in the end (ie enter the Hougang BE), this may open them to negotiating problems later in 2016, as they lose the moral authority to ask WP or other parties (eg. SDP, SPP) to allow them a straight fight on this basis.

I think NSP and TJS said they want to discuss with WP which is the best candidate to field. That is a little different (though not very much different) from asserting that they are prepared to contest HG themselves. For TJS's case, obviously from the way he puts it, he thinks HE is the best candidate for HG, and he apparently wants a dialogue with WP to convince them to take him in as a parachuted member and field him.

If you are right, that NSP & TJS are no longer in avoidance of 3CF, then I don't see why WP should enter horse trading talks next round. As more parties field more and more candidates, surely we will exceed the number of seats. And if the other parties think 3CF is okay, then scrape horse trading altogether and let everyone just contest where they wish, at their own peril.

Last edited:

Sadist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Personally and objectively, I do not think NSP is "better" or "worse". With the influx of the former RP group leading to others giving way, they gained something, lost something else. Many of these who gave way were organisers.

OK, that's a fair statement.

Today's NSP is a mere "press statement party".

Now, GMS is out of the picture. Why do you says it is a mere "press statement party"? Although they have no representation in parliament? But some of their members are rather active in Facebook. Have they not starting their work about under the new leadership?

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you are right, that NSP & TJS are no longer in avoidance of 3CF, then I don't see why WP should enter horse trading talks next round. As more parties field more and more candidates, surely we will exceed the number of seats.

When statements from Hazel/NSP came out, it could be wanting to be "special" and/or due to low acumen/inexperience.

They may not go there in the end, but by making such statements, you are essentially saying that 3CF or going into a ward previously contested by another opposition is not ruled out and not out of the question where NSP is concerned. How would you be able to face the other opposition in 2016 and say, "please don't come to Marine Parade/CCK/Jurong, we contested there last time and you are creating a 3CF". That is why I called it a faux pas.

I tend to think WP still gave some way to other opposition in 2006 and 2011 (2006 - Sembawang to SDP, 2011 - BTP to SPP and Whampoa to NSP) and also withdrew some candidates, but I suspect they might be thinking of skipping the horse trading talks next round and was still looking for a good reason to do so. Their responses to the Hougang BE had just given WP the best ammo to do so.

Last edited:

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The national average for all opposition parties is 39.xx%, so NSP score is higher, isn't it? I see it as a good grounding for the next election. Not the best of result, but nevertheless it is far from being a disaster.

Does not matter. You ask people on the ground, GMS is a clown. NSP will do better without him Disaster is the correct word for his context, because the NSP should have had a win. His pig-headedness cost it. He should stay out of the picture.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
Now, GMS is out of the picture. Why do you says it is a mere "press statement party"? Although they have no representation in parliament? But some of their members are rather active in Facebook. Have they not starting their work about under the new leadership?

Being only active on FB is as good as internet chatter. You know, GMS isn't the only chap they "lost". The batch included Elvin Ong and Raymond Chua. With all objectivity, I know these chaps including GMS can get much things done - flags, tins, posters, banners, stages etc. What are some of the things NSP misses lately, like door to door visits and selling of Northstar or even new issues of Northstar. I may be wrong or now and things change later, but as of now, Jeannette is preoccupied with her law practice and Hazel / Tony preoccupied with their tuition business expansion and they are all scholars without diversity.

You can apply the same to WP or SDP. A party of YJJ and GG or Vincent won't suffice with the absence of Lilian, KCY and Png or the Bryan Lims and Jaslyn Gos being the organisers behind these parties. On a side note, Yaw was so treasured by WP because he is the rare few in the oppo, like LTK, to encompass both organising skills and a brain for policy-making.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think NSP and TJS said they want to discuss with WP which is the best candidate to field. That is a little different (though not very much different) from asserting that they are prepared to contest HG themselves. For TJS's case, obviously from the way he puts it, he thinks HE is the best candidate for HG, and he apparently wants a dialogue with WP to convince them to take him in as a parachuted member and field him.

If you are right, that NSP & TJS are no longer in avoidance of 3CF, then I don't see why WP should enter horse trading talks next round. As more parties field more and more candidates, surely we will exceed the number of seats. And if the other parties think 3CF is okay, then scrape horse trading altogether and let everyone just contest where they wish, at their own peril.

There is nothing that can be traded and WP definitely won't give ground to NSP or TJS, especially so when they are expected to win.
So what can we see from all this? TJS is super naive boy.

BTW, WP may not win out right and may possibly even lose. They shld not be overly confident.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
You can apply the same to WP or SDP. A party of YJJ and GG or Vincent won't suffice with the absence of Lilian, KCY and Png or the Bryan Lims and Jaslyn Gos being the organisers behind these parties. On a side note, Yaw was so treasured by WP because he is the rare few in the oppo, like LTK, to encompass both organising skills and a brain for policy-making.

bro,
as me sees it, the opposition still need to attract more folks with strong credentials, kindly exclude sycophants from the list, political converts as well :p:p:p

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reality is that WP would engage in talks to show that they are engaged. There is nothing that NSP can do that will make a difference. NSP just does not have the gravitas or the credibility to do anything. People are also aware of NSP long history and many are aware of their role and the part they play for the establishment.

It does not matter if its 3CF, the candidate is bound to lose his deposit. I am sure if NSP want to be spoiler and help the PAP, it won't be Sebastian or the original ring leaders standing as candidate. They might use TJS as a independent or a gun for hire.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add, I surmise that WP would probably ignore the other two parties/persons, as while Hougang is a public matter, WP's choice is a matter only for WP to decide. It's like saying Pepsi can negotiate with Coke to decide which can supply the world with the best drink. We all know that is illogical and both may go for the market if they think the market is big enough.

My conclusion is not biased towards WP and against NSP and TJS. My view is that all three - WP, NSP and TJS (+party if any) - have lost all the moral authority to ask that a 3CF be avoided in their favour - WP since 2011 when it also made some similar remarks about not being a pushover. The issue is, who actually minds and is bothered about losing such a moral authority. Not WP, unsurprisingly. So why does NSP want to kill itself this way by making such statements - especially when many of their previous contested wards may also be eyed by WP - is something that beats me.

Perspective

Alfrescian
Loyal
The reality is that WP would engage in talks to show that they are engaged.

Perhaps, and the long-term game for WP would probably be to enter the room, state the wards they are going to, then bye-bye, to show they are engaged.

But now there's a new ammo. Imagine Sylvia saying to Hazel, "Didn't NSP consider coming to Hougang? Surely they won't mind us going Tampines. That settles it. Thank you." And that's my point.

Last edited:

julyaric720

Alfrescian
Loyal
I love this review I really love it
11.gif

3.gif