• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HOTA harvesting organs despite family pleading, Police were called

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Swenson Tan, 22, lapsed into a coma three weeks ago after being hit by a van. He was declared brain dead by doctors at Changi General Hospital (CGH) on Friday (Mar 8), but his traumatised parents refused to accept the outcome.

The full-time national serviceman, who had studied Mechanical Engineering at Ngee Ann Polytechnic, was riding a motorcycle near Hougang Ave 7 when he collided with a van. He suffered serious head injuries and underwent a six-hour operation.

His mother, Madam Lisa Mah, 54, could be heard yelling at hospital staff for wanting to take him away and wailing for him to wake up. Mr Tan's parents had also earlier made a police report against CGH to keep him alive.

More than 30 friends and family members rallied around Mr Tan in and near his ward on Sunday night, moments before his body was wheeled into the operating theatre by nurses for his organs to be harvested.

Professor Teo Eng Kiong, chairman of the medical board at CGH, said that time is crucial in the harvesting of usable organs.

“Organs are usually recovered within 24 hours after the certification of brain death... After the procedure, the body is suitably prepared to be returned to the family, for them to conduct their own funeral rites,” he said.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Swenson Tan, 22, lapsed into a coma three weeks ago after being hit by a van. He was declared brain dead by doctors at Changi General Hospital (CGH) on Friday (Mar 8), but his traumatised parents refused to accept the outcome.

Grief prevents people from making rational decisions.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
:rolleyes:

So does GREED

Do you have any evidence that greed is involved here? Unless organs are being harvested for a privileged few and the medical fraternity is enriching themselves in the process, HOTAS is an excellent policy as it enables the dead to benefit those who are still living.

If you have any evidence of the abuse of HOTAS, you are welcome to present your case.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Do you have any evidence that greed is involved here? Unless organs are being harvested for a privileged few and the medical fraternity is enriching themselves in the process, HOTAS is an excellent policy as it enables the dead to benefit those who are still living.

If you have any evidence of the abuse of HOTAS, you are welcome to present your case.

hi there

1. sammy, you make me lol hoh:biggrin:
2. even in its purest form, there is possibility mah.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Of course I could be wrong. The doctors could have been eager to discontinue life support because they wanted to save the family extra hospitals costs.:rolleyes:

ilovesingapore

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I cried this morning when I read the news about the grieving parents pleading for a halt of the harvest. I felt very sad and I totally sympathised and empathised with the bereaved parents. This is the second time I am so traumatised by parents who pleaded with the doctors and The LAW to spare the harvesting of the patient. Despite brain death, some parents would still want to hold on to some faith and hope....and I personally believe the authorities and the doctors should take into consideration parents who are not "ready and prepared" to let go...

If parents of such patients are willing to release the body for harvesting ,then it's okay - for the good of those who need the organs of a young NSF.But for parents who are not ready, not prepared and who are still grieving, I hope measures should be taken to "hold on" until the parents give their tacit okay. Yes we cannot wait. Yes, we have THE HOTA.Yes, we have this and we have that.

There is one thing which I feel is lacking is EMPATHY AND COMPASSION. We should have more of this instead of hard,cold and merciless LAW.

I feel very sorry for the grieving parents. I feel very sad too....PEACE and COMPASSION...and THE LAW.:(

Asterix

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Professor Teo Eng Kiong, chairman of the medical board at CGH, said that time is crucial in the harvesting of usable organs.

“Organs are usually recovered within 24 hours after the certification of brain death... After the procedure, the body is suitably prepared to be returned to the family, for them to conduct their own funeral rites,” he said.

This low EQ Professor needs to enroll in University of Hong Kong's Medical Humanities curriculum and while he is on course, his salary should be suspended. Please see my thread on Medical Humanities:

http://sammyboy.com/showthread.php?...f-Hongkie-Doctors-Curriculum-in-Capitalist-HK

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I cried this morning when I read the news about the grieving parents pleading for a halt of the harvest. I felt very sad and I totally sympathised and empathised with the bereaved parents. This is the second time I am so traumatised by parents who pleaded with the doctors and The LAW to spare the harvesting of the patient. Despite brain death, some parents would still want to hold on to some faith and hope....and I personally believe the authorities and the doctors should take into consideration parents who are not "ready and prepared" to let go...

If parents of such patients are willing to release the body for harvesting ,then it's okay - for the good of those who need the organs of a young NSF.But for parents who are not ready, not prepared and who are still grieving, I hope measures should be taken to "hold on" until the parents give their tacit okay. Yes we cannot wait. Yes, we have THE HOTA.Yes, we have this and we have that.

There is one thing which I feel is lacking is EMPATHY AND COMPASSION. We should have more of this instead of hard,cold and merciless LAW.

I feel very sorry for the grieving parents. I feel very sad too....PEACE and COMPASSION...and THE LAW.:(

hi there

1. aiyoh!
2. ils aka kopi.
3. the hard truth sucks big time.
4. no compassion but hard decision.
5. oops! for greater good mah:biggrin:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Greater good depends if the parents want to go for it. Where the hell the authority kaypoh on this.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Do you believe in such a thing as White Horse in Army? I believe, and so i believe similar thing is happening in HOTAS.
So far anyone having solid evidence about the existent of White Horse?

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Do you believe in such a thing as White Horse in Army? I believe, and so i believe similar thing is happening in HOTAS.
So far anyone having solid evidence about the existent of White Horse?

I have a colleague who benefitted from HOTAS. He was hardly in the privileged class. He was an accountant who needed a kidney transplant. He was in his mid 30s and he benefitted from the death of a 19 year old who died in a traffic accident.

They took into account his age and the fact that there was a tissue match. They never asked who he voted for.

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a colleague who benefitted from HOTAS. He was hardly in the privileged class. He was an accountant who needed a kidney transplant. He was in his mid 30s and he benefitted from the death of a 19 year old who died in a traffic accident.

They took into account his age and the fact that there was a tissue match. They never asked who he voted for.

I m sure your colleague would not have benefited from HOTAS should the kidney be required by LKY's grandchild at that particular time.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
I m sure your colleague would not have benefited from HOTAS should the kidney be required by LKY's grandchild at that particular time.

The rich and the well connected don't need HOTAS. They can get a kidney a lot faster using their influence and $$$$$.

HOTAS benefits the ordinary man on the street far more than it does the elite.

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng supports hospital HOTA agreement! :biggrin: many people still waiting for organ transplant u know? this Sunday got charity show again liao! who wana volunteer donate a kidney to the NKF patients?

I_Hate_Pappies

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The rich and the well connected don't need HOTAS. They can get a kidney a lot faster using their influence and $$$$$.

You got evidence or not?:p

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
HOTA reap profits by selling those organs, you think they do it for free??

Last edited:

Alamaking

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

The CK Tang chairman was charged for not going through HOTAS, so.......