• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HOME RENOVATION: MAN SAYS MANY INTERIOR DESIGNERS DOING SHADY BUSINESS

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
HOME RENOVATION: MAN SAYS MANY INTERIOR DESIGNERS DOING SHADY BUSINESS
singaporeuncensored.com
By Hello Its me
August 26, 2022

Renovation the part and parcel of life especially for those that are getting an HDB or a new condominium.
A man recently shared a story about how interior designers became uncontactable after he made a deposit and his home was left half done.

The issues homeowners face from our local renovation industry are not being discussed enough online. There are a ton of under-the-table deals at the expense of homeowners, zero regulation and a lot of scams homeowners have to dodge.

It should not be this hard for the average Singaporean to renovate a home. Things need to change in this industry.

IDs don’t require going through any courses or getting certifications before they become IDs. This is different from for e.g the real estate industry where you have to register with CEA and wear your tag whenever you are on-site. Or the financial industry where a business may need MAS regulation. For IDs, anyone can call themselves one, start a company and the moment there is a disupute, close down / run away with the deposit / start a new company. There are many such reported cases in the papers.

But what I want to talk about here is the under-the-table relationship between IDs and suppliers that many Singaporeans are not aware of. Because homeowners like us will never know the real prices of materials, we will always be vulnerable to shady IDs and contractors. Because of the lack of regulation, there is nothing to stop IDs from overcharging as they please.

Or even suppliers overcharging customers (us homeowners) when we try to manage the process directly.
We may even be thinking we’re getting a good deal when we’re not.

Think of the Tuk Tuk’s in BKK that camp outside a tourist spot in a cartel-like manner to jack up prices together or the taxi mafia that prevents Grab drivers from coming in to pick up tourists. Sure, you can get market rates if you walk 1km+ out with your luggage to the open road and try your luck there. But it should NOT be that way.

I am sharing my experience with a recent interior designer (ID) because what happened to us is very common in the industry and we should talk about it and push for change.

Why it is difficult for the average homeowner:
  • The Interior Designer I worked with has just two people (project managers) in their company. They engage various contractors for all the work done. So think of them as the main-con.
  • Usually how it works is this: You either pay a project management fee and that is the price you pay for the convenience and they are then supposed to work in your interest to get the best rates for you, since they are already getting paid for that service. OR you don’t pay a project management fee and they take a cut from the sub-contractors to earn. I understand that they have to make money too.
  • In my case, my ID requested a project management fee of $15,000+ for the management and design of our home. (Context: The whole renovation project cost was over $100k and I stay in a private property.) Because of the fee, she said she would will not charge any mark-ups and will provide me with all the invoices. At first, she claimed it was not a practise to provide any invoices to clients. But I insisted for them. This rang some alarm bells but because they were a third-party recommendation, we still went ahead.
  • Throughout our time working with her, we realised several contract amounts not tallying up, many promises to fix things always were “forgotten” and I’m not gonna go into detail but at this point, there were over 10 instances of dishonesty (that we just gave her the benefit of the doubt for) and it was getting hard to trust the things she was saying.
  • We started to get suspicious when we requested for add-ons which required new quotes. I would request for 3 quotes but she always came back with just one. At first, I thought she was just lazy for always using the same expensive supplier because she didn’t want to find more quotes for us and always said there was no one else.
How shady interior design firms operate in Singapore
  • Our suspicions lead us to ask around and get the quotations ourselves and boy did we get a huge shock. For 3 separate additions (small issues like blinds/curtains/etc), our quotes were half the price as the quotes she was giving us.
  • Turns out, one of the contractors we ended up getting the quote from was a current supplier of hers, who offered us a much lower rate. And he explained to us how her company operates, and how the ID + supplier industry works in general.
  • He said they will approach the supplier and ask for the cost price that they will charge. Then, they will add their own cut to it between 20%-50% markup and ask the supplier to issue clients the invoice with the inflated amount. The more she thinks she can get away with it, the higher % she will add. Once she finds a supplier who is willing to do this with her, she will keep using that same supplier. Hence that guy giving better rates was not chosen.
  • So any homeowner who receives the invoice will feel that it is legit, but actually, it is heavily inflated due to the special agreement between her and the supplier. The invoice is a clever ruse to trick homeowners.
  • We ended up exceeding our renovation budget by about $30k with the provisional charges for things like electricity doubling from $10k to $20k.
  • What makes us so angry is how she said she was going to charge an overall fee for project management ($15k+) so everything would be transparent. e.g same logic as hiring a main contractor. But all this while, she was getting under the table deals too, inflating the invoices and effectively charging us twice – one from the comms and one for her lump sum fee.
  • Because she inflated the amount, instead of us getting our dream home we saved up years for, we had to do away with some features we really wanted because it was over our budget due to the extra money was going to her as under the table profit.
Apparently, my story isn’t anything new. This is common in the ID industry as homeowners like us who are looking to renovate will never know the real pricing. And we probably just do this once or twice in our lives and then the ID moves on to their next victim. It does make business sense for the ID and supplier to continue work together to mark up invoices for the next project.

In other industries, there is regulation. When given a fee, an agent is supposed to act in the best interest of the principal, otherwise there is a conflict of interest and it must be declared. This is why laywers etc have to do a conflict of interest check before taking up a case. And if there is a conflict of interest found e.g the NP parks Brompton bikes case where bikes were bought at heavily inflated rates, things get called out and the culprits do jail time. But there isn’t anything like this in the ID industry and conflict of interest is rampant.
Has anyone here faced issues like this before? Is there any action we can take? Not sure what to do now, hope someone can help.

https://singaporeuncensored.com/hom...designers-doing-shady-business/?feed_id=65170

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be surprised that even ID platforms for people to to choose ID are scams. IDs can remove bad reviews about themselves and rank up if they sufficiently bribe the website owner.

SBFNews

Alfrescian
Loyal
You will be surprised that even ID platforms for people to to choose ID are scams. IDs can remove bad reviews about themselves and rank up if they sufficiently bribe the website owner.
Reno in Singapore is a big scam perpetuated by Sinkies and Jiuhookia scammers. PAP closes their eyes despite knowing that it's a rather big market out there with BTO projects and so many private housing developments.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Every renovation contractor must be licensed with the relevant authorities and issued with a licenced number for the customers to verify.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
Reno in Singapore is a big scam perpetuated by Sinkies and Jiuhookia scammers. PAP closes their eyes despite knowing that it's a rather big market out there with BTO projects and so many private housing developments.
Yes, many ID companies are helmed by malaysians. worst of all, many working in Singapore, without paying taxes or work-permit.

realDonaldTrump

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP's foreign talent pride. Anyway 61% approves. Haha
Malaysian chinese are very supportive of PAP, many helping @JohnTan in grassroots, so our government gladly them screw us in workplace and life.
It works two ways, you scratch my back, i scratch yours.

Even big companies like HP Singapore and 3M Singapore, their senior and middle managements are malaysians. In my trade, these people are very smart and take bribes by colluding with other malaysians in Singapore or former HP and 3M staff by giving them preferential rates or distribution rights. Malaysians are very hungry and more scheming and tends to backstab the locals.

Just think about the characters of malaysian MP and Ministers in Singapore. It is the same, be it politics, big companies or IDs.

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
Is he stupid? If he wants the cheapest price then go source for it himself.

It's like shopping for whores.
If you ask that public toilet, she will quote RM5. If you ask her jw5 daotao, he quotes RM25. But of course, nobody will pay such amounts for a phuacheebye.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
even with licensed contractors it’s full of jeopardies. some licensed contractors hire day laborers and without proper supervision, hands-on skill transfer and mentorship these laborers or construction workers can screw up any project from inside out. for example, one worker disposed debris and paper and cement wastes down the toilets, and after buyer moved in just after one day, the toilets clogged up. luckily there was still warranty for that block of townhomes, and the buyer got the developer to deep dive into sewer plumbing with scope to find root cause, and sure enough debris and hardened cement and caulk were inside the pipes. developer had to hire another licensed contractor to redo all toilets and sewer plumbing, including tearing up walls and floors. all other townhome blocks in that new development were fine. just happened that block had a blockhead working for the contractor. almost same shit happens near my home where an entire new development of a few hundred townhomes has to undergo repairs because the contractor forgets to check to ensure vapor and water barriers for all balconies of every unit are installed. one freak rain is all that is needed to sexpose the flaw. folks have already moved in and repairs are in progress. very sextensive. hundreds of balconies have to ripped out, relayered with water barriers, refloored, resealed, and balcony railings and parapets re-installed. in this case it’s the contractor’s fault, oversight, and lack of supervision for trusting the foremen and workers. vapor and water barriers are in the plans and are originally ordered but never used during the build. these are big jobs. for small jobs, i have 3 trusted and licensed contractors in my contact list and each of them has at least 3 skillful, sexperienced, and reliable subs. even though the subs are not licensed, they know their shit and the codes. it’s just that they don’t have time, money, and the language proficiency to sit in the license qualification process. to be a licensed general contractor, one needs to be qualified in several trades from plumbing to electrical to flooring to roofing to carpentry to masonry. if any of my contractors cum to my job site with his same tried and tested band of brothers, i’m ok to proceed. time, quality and quantity of (completed) projects are the best way to learn who to trust.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Every renovation contractor must be licensed with the relevant authorities and issued with a licenced number for the customers to verify.

Licensed or no licensed, does it matter? Refer to 'Approved by MOE', 'Approved by HSA', CASETrust certified. :rolleyes:

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes, many ID companies are helmed by malaysians. worst of all, many working in Singapore, without paying taxes or work-permit.
Bobian, Sinkies think of carpentry works as low SES job. Instead, they prefer to drive Grab or sell luxury watches.

A good title to Sinkie is very important. Carpenter ? No way. They drive Grab, they claim they are their own bosses. They sell luxury watches, if they are "Executive".

Filloz

Alfrescian
Loyal
ID Conman from China can also become citizen.

PRC Renovation Conman: Shao Ying Hao (NRIC S2685837B)
150 Mei Ling Street #04-43 Singapore 141150
HP1: 98810028, 9881 0028
HP2: 92321005, 9232 1005

Company 1: Buildnet (Singapore) Pte Ltd
Formerly known as CCDCC Singapore Pte Ltd
UEN: 201222684M
Address: 163 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408785
(Changed name for Company 1)

Company 2: One Degree Builder Pte Ltd
UEN: 202010880E
Address: 163 Ubi Ave 4, Singapore 408785
(Replacement for Company 1)

Company 3: Oasis Design & Build
UEN: 53138372E

CCDCC Singapore Pte. Ltd. is a scam. this company collect initial payment 40% and none of the items complete and keep delaying the work then claim money not enough and said no money to pay workers and wanted to ask for more money or else threaten not to continue to do the work. make until the whole house a mess and none of the workers that work for him is not under his company
- Anonymous

have the same issue.... keeps delaying work and appointments.... not turning up but always polite about it. still not completed the work.
- Anonymous

We are the third person to write a review here regarding CCDCC Singapore Pte. Ltd. and we totally agree with the above two customers on their reports about CCDCC Singapore Pte. Ltd.
- Huang Lijing

CCDCC Singapore Pte. Ltd. is a really scam... The person signed renovation contract for my HDB flat, started work on end March and promised to complete it by end May... I paid him 30% down payment after signing contract and the progress payments in advance... But his work is only about 50% progress till 22 May... Then the person made the commitments numerous times to increase resource and speed up his work... However till 8 June, it found that he did not order the doors, windows, grillers, floor material from his supplier due to his finance problem... I terminated his contract immediately, and do not allow him and his worker to access my flat any more... He is a scam and makes me the financial losses... I am starting to find the right authority to seek for help and solve my problem, and will update the status here again...
- Victor

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Malaysian chinese are very supportive of PAP, many helping @JohnTan in grassroots, so our government gladly them screw us in workplace and life.
It works two ways, you scratch my back, i scratch yours.

Even big companies like HP Singapore and 3M Singapore, their senior and middle managements are malaysians. In my trade, these people are very smart and take bribes by colluding with other malaysians in Singapore or former HP and 3M staff by giving them preferential rates or distribution rights. Malaysians are very hungry and more scheming and tends to backstab the locals.

Just think about the characters of malaysian MP and Ministers in Singapore. It is the same, be it politics, big companies or IDs.

Most of the jiuhukias in Singapore are serfs, not foremen. You've been retired for way too long.

LexLuthor

Alfrescian
Loyal
ITE should start carpentry courses for Singaporeans, and Singaporeans only, to fill the gaps in the home renovation industry. If they pass ITE carpentry courses, they can move on to Polytechnics for Interior Design courses.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
ITE should start carpentry courses for Singaporeans, and Singaporeans only, to fill the gaps in the home renovation industry. If they pass ITE carpentry courses, they can move on to Polytechnics for Interior Design courses.
Not just Carpentry. Metal working too. Maybe plastics and new materials such as carbon fibre as nowadays all kinds of materials are mixed.

syed putra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Most designers will stick to one or two capenters. Getting several quotes is out of the question. They slready know roughly how much it will cost to make most items. Plus excellent and consistent workmanship.

D

Deleted member 178254

That's the reason i prefer to have a home warranty and feel myself protected from different scams
Absolutely, agree. It's a great thing. A home warranty is a form of insurance that can protect you from unexpected plumbing problems or other issues. Check out this website https://americas-preferred-home-warranty.pissedconsumer.com/customer-service.html to find reviews of companies. If the system breaks down and you need someone to fix it, the warranty company will do so for an additional cost.

Last edited by a moderator: