• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Home grown magician comes in 2nd in Asian Championship of Magic

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
'The art of magic can be elevated'

20111209.162448_magician.jpg

By Rennie Whang
The New Paper
Sunday, Dec 11, 2011

A magician has made Singapore proud by taking the No. 2 spot in the Asian Championship of Magic organised by the International Federation of Magic Societies.

Jeremy Tan, 26, has also qualified for the World Championship in Blackpool, England next year.

He is the first Singaporean to do so, following Singapore's inaugural attempt in 2009.

Tan, who has been performing professionally since he was 16, was surprised with his placing.

He said that he had seen many of his 18 competitors on television - on Korean and Taiwanese variety shows, for example. Some were even past winners of the competition.

He said: "I told myself that I would do my best, and enjoy myself. Every competition is a learning experience."

He did his eight-minute routine in front of a panel of six judges and an audience of 300.

"I like to share the experience of magic with people," he would start by saying, at the same time causing three Morgan Silver Dollar coins - large silver discs about 2.5cm across - to disappear and reappear across his hands.

Then, he would place the coins in the hands of an audience member.

Coins would then "vanish" from that person's hand and arrive in his.

That's the heart of his magic philosophy - to "make people happy, to share and let them experience the magic".

Sometimes, that involves education - at corporate events, for example, he might share how gamblers can cheat with cards.

With more people appreciating magic, he believed, "we can elevate the art."

Tan does 15 to 18 shows a month.

Constant practice

The routine for this competition took a year to prepare, and he practised every opportunity he got. The skills used, though, "have taken my whole career".

Routines are practised "countless - hundreds of times," in front of a mirror or a video camera when he's on his own or at his shows.

He noted that competition magic is different from commercial magic, however.

A candidate may be disqualified if he is caught copying material used by somebody else in the market.

Tan said: "You have to come up with your own routine. If they don't like you, they can dismiss you within the first three minutes."

Originality was one of the six categories he was judged on in the Asia Championship of Magic.

Explained Mr John Teo, president of the Singapore chapter of the International Brotherhood of Magicians: "With laymen, you can get anything off the market and still impress.

"It's at competitions when creativity comes in; Jeremy's skills are good, and the way he puts his material together is very unique."

Tan's impressive coin trick was conceptualised by his assistant and girlfriend of two years, Miss Lee Hui Bin, 23.

She was an operations executive at a bar when they met, and today handles his finances and bookings, and is his stage assistant.

Miss Lee had been tinkering with his props, when she discovered how the coins could be handled.

"She's still half a layperson," said Tan. "After shows, she can tell me what went wrong."

Mr Tan is hoping to prepare an even better theme, over the seven months leading to the World Championship.

"It'll be something that looks even more magical," he said.

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/doWM6FwFQQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
Anyone of our NS men know how to "MIA" at times.
My company RSM used to say "he did a david copperfield" when someone is missing from the parade.

Unrepented

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hope he conceptualizes a trick to make part of the income disappear before it reaches the hands and radar of his gf, otherwise jialat. Next time how to cheong with no money on hand:confused:

'The art of magic can be elevated'

By Rennie Whang
The New Paper
Sunday, Dec 11, 2011

Tan's impressive coin trick was conceptualised by his assistant and girlfriend of two years, Miss Lee Hui Bin, 23.

She was an operations executive at a bar when they met, and today handles his finances and bookings, and is his stage assistant.

Jah_rastafar_I

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A good magician is actually a good ppl person. He knows how to talk to ppl and make them laugh and joke with them. That's actually a very important aspect of the act in addition to his tricks.

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Then, he would place the coins in the hands of an audience member.

Coins would then "vanish" from that person's hand and arrive in his.

He can do us a service by making those expensive PAP scums vanish from the earth... Anyway well done to him.. All good success achieved by home grown Sporeans must be applauded..

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He can do us a service by making those expensive PAP scums vanish from the earth... Anyway well done to him.. All good success achieved by home grown Sporeans must be applauded..

Expensive PAP scums only disappear when sinkies have balls and guts to go to the streets to overthrow them, not hoping magic will do the trick for you. It says a whole lot of what type of low life Sinkie you are...pathetic.

Last edited:

zeddy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Expensive PAP scums only disappear when sinkies have balls and guts to go to the streets to overthrow them, not hoping magic will do the trick for you. It says a whole lot of what type of low life Sinkie you are...pathetic.

I'm just saying it in a jest you dumbfuck... You love to bash Sinkies up claiming that they are ball less and gutless... Then can you please show us how big your balls are then..??? What have you done to play your part in overthrowing the PAP other than preaching your stupid '' Sinkies are Ball less, Unsinkified, Sinkified blah blah blah repetitive mantra at this Forum...???? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: