• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Holiday Scenery and Experiences! Come share!

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
My Banff photo from many years ago
052.JPG

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I like to go on hikes that have a destination. eg either the peak. Or a lake. Or waterfall. Or river.

Got to go somewhere one lah.

Boom Lake is meh only. Dont think we will go on that hike again.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
meanwhile, bay area lake elizabeth in fremont is so so only. nothing like the rockies in the pacific northwest, but at least better than sg with no real lake.
View attachment 114966

Are those ducks?

The ducks very cute one. The male is the the one with the more color green head yellow beak. The female is just all brown. But they will swim together. Very cute. The ones I see are called Mallard Ducks.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lake merrit in oakland is a nigger hotspot and always have nigger on nigger shooting. what a fucking waste of an urban lake.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Are those ducks?

The ducks very cute one. The male is the the one with the more color green head yellow beak. The female is just all brown. But they will swim together. Very cute. The ones I see are called Mallard Ducks.
ducks, geese, gulls, egrets, sometimes swans, and another migrating bird species i can’t identify. it’s small like kampung chicken, black, short tail, yellow and or white beak. oh yeah, american coot.
http://www.cavette.net/photos/lakeelizabeth/gallery.html
sometimes i see sora.
1624901343543.jpeg

sometimes i see american coot.
1624901393612.jpeg

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
wildlife is so fascinating and beautiful. don’t know why tiongs must catch, cage, kill, and eat them all. fucking merciless stupid tiongs.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
While there are many steakhouses in Calgary I do find them expensive to go to for a simple Sirloin Steak. Usually sets you back around $30

So BBQ at home is the way to go

Get them from Costco. Usually if it is less than $20/kg for Sirloin Steaks should be ok. If can get below $15/kg would be good deal.

Steak 1.jpg

@Asychee taught me this method of seasoning the meats. He said he learnt it from another friend who was a chef. Sprinkle the seasoning on a plate till it covers the plate.

Steak 2.jpg

Then put the meat on the plate. The seasoning will stick to the surface and be an even coating on it. Whereas with trying to sprinkle on the meat itself with the seasoning bottle you might get uneven spread.

Steak 3.jpg

Flip the meat and do the same (top up the plate with the seasoning before doing the other side)

Steak 4.jpg

Preheat BBQ to about 450 degrees F

Steak 5.jpg

Steak 6.jpg

I use the Cookina BBQ mats to save myself having to clean the grills. I like my BBQ clean. However this also means I dont get those grill lines on the steaks. But oh well unless it is a real party with lots of people and need to impress then forget it lah.

Steak 7.jpg

I find that cooking times vary depending on your actual BBQ grill. Also if it is propane tank or gas line. Mine is gas line. Gas line is less powerful I feel.

So adjust accordingly. For me I tend to do 2 min per flip. Flip 4 times. There is a way to turn it so that in a perfect world the grill lines on the steak will be nicely crossed. But yeah 2 min x 4 flips total 2 min. If the steak thickness is about 1 inch. Oh and close the cover after each flip. Keeps the heat in. Oh the 2 min x 4 is for medium rare. I am not that skilled to feel the meat how soft or hard to tell. I go by time. Sometimes if the steak is too hard or I took out too late from fridge still cold then may be more on rare side.
Steak 8.jpg

Steak 9.jpg
Steak 10.jpg

Enjoy!

Last edited:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While there are many steakhouses in Calgary I do find them expensive to go to for a simple Sirloin Steak. Usually sets you back around $30

So BBQ at home is the way to go

Get them from Costco. Usually if it is less than $20/kg for Sirloin Steaks should be ok. If can get below $15/kg would be good deal.

View attachment 114968

View attachment 114969
@Asychee taught me this method of seasoning the meats. He said he learnt it from another friend who was a chef. Sprinkle the seasoning on a plate till it covers the plate.

View attachment 114973

Then put the meat on the plate. The seasoning will stick to the surface and be an even coating on it. Whereas with trying to sprinkle on the meat itself with the seasoning bottle you might get uneven spread.

View attachment 114972

Flip the meat and do the same (top up the plate with the seasoning before doing the other side)
View attachment 114974

View attachment 114975

Preheat BBQ to about 400 degrees F

View attachment 114979

I use the Cookina BBQ mats to save myself having to clean the grills. I like my BBQ clean. However this also means I dont get those grill lines on the steaks. But oh well unless it is a real party with lots of people and need to impress then forget it lah.

View attachment 114977

I find that cooking times vary depending on your actual BBQ grill. Also if it is propane tank or gas line. Mine is gas line. Gas line is less powerful I feel.

So adjust accordingly. For me I tend to do 2 min per flip. Flip 4 times. There is a way to turn it so that in a perfect world the grill lines on the steak will be nicely crossed. But yeah 2 min x 4 flips total 2 min. If the steak thickness is about 1 inch. Oh and close the cover after each flip. Keeps the heat in. Oh the 2 min x 4 is for medium rare. I am not that skilled to feel the meat how soft or hard to tell. I go by time. Sometimes if the steak is too hard or I took out too late from fridge still cold then may be more on rare side.
View attachment 114982

View attachment 114983

Enjoy!
before i grill steaks, i seldom season them if they have been aged for 6.9 days in a cool dry chamber with fan on. the seasoning such as ground pepper and salt will just fall off in the grill and melt or burn away in 696-degree f heat. i don’t even oil the steak as it already has fat that will melt and burn. i season after removing steak from grill, just before wrapping it with foil to evenly distribute its juices while it sits. freshly cracked ground pepper will remain flavorful instead of tasting like burnt bits, and large crystals of salt (or coarse kosher salt) will still be seen on the steak when served. sometimes with only a few diners i would inject pink himalayan salt crystals into steaks. crunchiness of salt with charred marble in and on steak will give you the ultimate steak sexperience.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
before i grill steaks, i seldom season them if they have been aged for 6.9 days in a cool dry chamber with fan on. the seasoning such as ground pepper and salt will just fall off in the grill and melt or burn away in 696-degree f heat. i don’t even oil the steak as it already has fat that will melt and burn. i season after removing steak from grill, just before wrapping it with foil to evenly distribute its juices while it sits. freshly cracked ground pepper will remain flavorful instead of tasting like burnt bits, and large crystals of salt (or coarse kosher salt) will still be seen on the steak when served. sometimes with only a few diners i would inject pink himalayan salt crystals into steaks. crunchiness of salt in and on steak will give you the ultimate steak sexperience.

Thanks for the tip! Yeah I will try doing that next time. Sounds like a good way.

if the steaks are not aged leh?

Sometimes my wife will Sous Vide the steaks. Then just char it on cast iron pan or the BBQ.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thanks for the tip! Yeah I will try doing that next time. Sounds like a good way.

if the steaks are not aged leh?

Sometimes my wife will Sous Vide the steaks. Then just char it on cast iron pan or the BBQ.
can easily pseudo-age steak in fridge for 3-4 days. just leave it on a plate uncovered in top shelf of fridge. lower temp in fridge from 37-d f to 35-d f. the aeration and moisture removal characteristic of the fridge will “dry-age” it. learned it from a napa chef.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
can easily pseudo-age steak in fridge for 3-4 days. just leave it on a plate uncovered in top shelf of fridge. lower temp in fridge from 37-d f to 35-d f. the aeration and moisture removal characteristic of the fridge will “dry-age” it. learned it from a napa chef.

Noted!

My wife will say we "aged" the steak in the packaging left in the fridge too many days. HAHA!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/how-to-make-your-own-air-conditioner-calgary-1.3623528

https://mobilehls-vh.akamaihd.net/i...ecf018d24e041f91e78192f0d300bebae873d66d68555

Beat the heat with this DIY air conditioner​

Social Sharing​

• Facebook​

• Twitter​

• Email​

• Reddit​

• LinkedIn​

All you need is a bucket, a fan, a bag of ice and a piece of PVC pipe​

Monty Kruger · CBC News · Posted: Jun 08, 2016 7:03 PM MT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

CGY-TOV-DIYAC_2500kbps_852x480_701792323663.jpg

Watch

How to build a DIY air conditioner with about $30 in hardware store parts​

• 5 years ago
  • 0:53

Beat the heat with this DIY air conditioner. You can pick up all the parts for about $30 from a hardware store. 0:53
If you can't stand another sticky, sleepless night amid the heat wave, you can take matters into your own hands.
Building your own air conditioner is easier than you think and only costs about $30.
You can pick up everything you need at a hardware store:
  • Five gallon bucket
  • PVC pipe (threaded or unthreaded)
  • Desk-top fan
  • Ice
  • Sharpie marker
  • Pocket knife
Watch the video to see how to build your very own.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/calgary-heat-wave-air-conditioner-1.6083111

Air conditioners sell out and installers swamped as heat wave sends Calgarians into 'panic' mode​

Companies far busier than normal, with some booking installations for weeks away​

CBC News · Posted: Jun 28, 2021 3:17 PM MT | Last Updated: 41 minutes ago

portable-a-c.jpg

Portable air conditioners are selling out almost as fast as they're coming in at this Canadian Tire in Mount Royal. (Axel Tardieu/CBC)
comments
Calgary stores are selling out of air conditioners within hours and installers say they've been swamped with up to four times as much business as usual, as a heat wave that may well break historic records hits.
Ryan Wandler, vice-president of Knight Plumbing and Heating, says they received 250 requests this past weekend for air conditioning installations or repairs. That's about four times as many as the company usually gets during a June weekend.
With a stretch of several days expected to hit over 30 C and a heat warning issued by Environment Canada for almost all of southern Alberta, Wandler says people are in "panic" mode.
"It definitely surpasses what we've ever seen before, so [it's] definitely an extreme circumstance."
His company is booked weeks out, and he's asking people to be patient as they try to service as many customers as possible. In addition to high demand, supply constraints for air conditioning units and materials, largely attributed to the pandemic, are making it a challenging year.
"We're battling a lot of other items other than just the heat itself," said Wandler.
Ryan Tutak, general manager of Action Furnace, is seeing a similar surge in demand. He says it has been busy since early June, with two smaller heat waves, but that this one is creating a different sense of urgency.
"It's not usually this intense," said Tutak. "We usually have a chance to catch our breath and catch up with our customers."

CGY-TOV-DIYAC_2500kbps_852x480_701792323663.jpg

How to build a DIY air conditioner with about $30 in hardware store parts​

5 years ago
0:53
Beat the heat with this DIY air conditioner. You can pick up all the parts for about $30 from a hardware store. 0:53
Working from home has changed things as well.
"People are usually going to a nice air-conditioned office, so when they're at home nine, 10 hours a day now during the hottest times of the day, it's a little more bothersome," said Tutak.
The same held true at many stores like Canadian Tire in the Mount Royal neighbourhood, where air conditioners were selling out within hours of coming in.

How to stay cool​

The last time Calgary had a stretch with five days of highs of at least 32 C was in 1914. In the absence of an air-conditioned house, there are other precautions people can take to stay cool as temperatures continue to rise.
"With just a little bit of planning ahead and some forethought, people will be safe and be able to enjoy themselves," said Stuart Brideaux, a public education officer with EMS.
One of the easiest steps to take, he said, is to drink lot of water.
"Don't make it sort of a game of catch up throughout the day. If you're already feeling thirsty, you're down a bunch of fluid."
Wear plenty of sunscreen and reapply it often, and wear or carry your own shades, he advised.
"A sun hat or a ball cap that keeps the heat and sun off your face and neck actually goes a long, long way to actually making it easier to cope with the heat," said Brideaux.

CGY_EXP_COOL_HOUSE_corrected_852x480_1304197699617.jpg

How to keep your house cool​

3 years ago
1:55
Beat the heat without AC by following these cool house tips. 1:55

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
I got aircon installed for our house sometime in 2016.

Summers do get days when it is really too hot to be without aircon. Our houses are designed to keep heat in (for winter). So very hard to cool it when it gets hot. Fans dont work cos it just blows hot air around.

If you can afford it, get aircon.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The other thing that also sells out during summer when it gets bad is......Mosquito repellant and devices that zap Mosquitoes. LOL!

So far this season no mozzies yet.

The worst combo is super hot and super a lot of mozzies!

mudhatter

Alfrescian
Loyal
good lifestyle

ang mohs stole the good lands from americans and australians - natives , of coz

but to be fair, ang mohs in europe switzerland scandinavia germany southern france riviera also enjoy good lifestyle

maybe only japan from among slanties can compare since japan is a real country unlike peesai stinkypura one party state dictatorship propaganda entity fake city state

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I got aircon installed for our house sometime in 2016.

Summers do get days when it is really too hot to be without aircon. Our houses are designed to keep heat in (for winter). So very hard to cool it when it gets hot. Fans dont work cos it just blows hot air around.

If you can afford it, get aircon.
lucky. new hvac systems for homes are now very well designed for both heating and cooling, with bonus of air purification through centralized filters. no point just install heating without cooling. they cum together like siamese twins. double but simultaneous orgasm.