• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Help!! Is there a problem with me?

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Why am I upset over a seemingly small matter?

Let’s put things in perspective:

The incident:

My missus took a piece of bread for my son, and left the seal open. Later that night, she saw the unsealed package, and told me, “why do you always leave things like that? Seal back the bread package!” I told her she was the one who opened it. She walked away, when I told her she should apologize, she ignored me, and instead told my son, who is too young to understand anyway, that papa is a very sensitive man, and like to pick a fight over very small issues.

The point is : this is not the first time such things have happened. I have always rationalized to myself that she doesn’t know / think it is hurtful, and I should not read too much into it. However, one incident, two times, many many times over the years, it starts to bug me.

As an analogy :-
If I keep pressing at one point in your thigh, after many times, it will start to hurt. I do not like to “eat dead cat” and I think nobody likes it.

Sometimes, I wonder if I am being too sensitive?

An interesting incident happened the next day, she turned on the internet, and was browsing, and then she told me to look at some sites, after she is done, she told me to off the internet, and I was like - ok, I will do it later. And it start again, why do you always leave the internet on when you are not using it. Our network is not secured, what if someone tap in? Then she is off to bed.

Excuse me? I think you turned it on, not me leh?

The question to me is : Is she too proud to apologize? Or does she really think it is so minor, and it is acceptable to talk like that between husband and wife? I have expressed unease over the way we communicate many times, and I am concerned that my son will grow up adopting these habits, but it does not seem to register with her….

Am I sensitive because I cared about how my wife talk to me, or is it just inferior complex? Would I care as much if it is someone else who talk like that to me? Would things be different if I am more successful than her in my career? Would I still feel the same way, or would she still behave in the same manner?

I am posting and asking for opinion because I am not even sure if the fault lies with me? I do not want to kick up a fuss over small things like this… but I am also unwilling to live like this for the next 30 years.

Dun get me wrong, my wife is a Singaporean, tough as nails at work, and considerably successful at work. She does not go out partying, and for the good part of '08 when I was not working, she does not pressure me at all. In fact, I thought she was very supportive. As such, there are still many positives in my marriage, except for such incidents. Personally, I think it has to do with family background, cos that is how her siblings communicate. But I do not want my family to communicate in the same way.

Any sincere opinions are welcomed, sorry if you guys think I am ball-less, but as I explained to my friend once, if I have a choice of jumping off a building, or putting up with the nagging, I would choose to jump off the building. I know one of my weakness is I really do not like a confrontation, esp if I am not 100% correct.

But this is driving me crazy, sometimes I think I am even suicidal due to stress like this…. Over such minor incidents? I think I need help?

skndr

Alfrescian
Loyal
Have you thought about bringing in neutral party? Someone or a couple who know both of you well.

darememore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Let’s put things in perspective:

You are partly to be blamed. You are aware of the unseal bread package, why dont you just seal it off. Whoever the last user on the computer should turn it off. Love is give and take.

middaydog

Alfrescian
Loyal
… but I am also unwilling to live like this for the next 30 years.

let me ask you one serious question , how can you be sure that it's going to be for the next 30 years ?

what if _ it is going to be for the next 2 years, _ or 6 months ?

or even less

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

She walked away, when I told her she should apologize, she ignored me, and instead told my son, who is too young to understand anyway, that papa is a very sensitive man, and like to pick a fight over very small issues.

But this is driving me crazy, sometimes I think I am even suicidal due to stress like this…. Over such minor incidents? I think I need help?

you should find time to sit down and talk to your wife about what you have written here....but do not be quick to judge or anything like that...just discuss, hopefully she could see what you are thinking.

there's another problem that might crop up later if your wife talk to you infront of your son like dat, because your son will grow up not to listen to both of you later, if he sees the division between you and your wife and use it as a advantage to himself.

yeah love is to give more than you take...

just an advice though...

facial

Alfrescian
Loyal
Trust me, its all got to do with the sex life. If both are "sextisfied", whatever problem also can be resolve.

catch71

Alfrescian
Loyal
Couple of issues to clarify:
1. I am unaware of the unseal bread
2. I was shutting down the PC in one room when she is on my back to off the internet, which is in another room.

I think i am a fairly calm person, all these points about give and take, i have tried to convince myself upteem times already. What I feel is that I have been at the giving end and lately, I am just plain tired. I have tried talking to her many times, when we are on vacation, when we are out having dinner, when we are having a tiff, but IT JUST DOES NOT REGISTER. I gave up talking couple of years back, just give in, but dun know why nowadays, I cannot tahan anymore. I am worried that the next time this thing happen, I might not be able to behave rationally.

I actually do not think it is one particular issue per se. but a cumulation of many issues. I listed the 2 incidents, as they are fresh, and I can still remember, rest of issues that we are unhappy about, i really cannot remember.

every night, I take care of my son cos she wants to watch tv as she is stressed at work. She is unhappy even if i ask her to help make milk as it means she has to peel herself from the tv. Best part is when she is done and my son is almost falling asleep, she will wake him up to play, when she is done, she would go to sleep, leaving me with a very alert boy.

I have to ask for opinion on this forum cos she has cut me off my social life, I work pretty much alone, and after work, there is always big fight/ arguements if i were to go out for drinks. I dont mind taking care of my son, i enjoyed it, but sometimes i need to go out and relax with my friends, but hey, that is a big no no. so my life is work, home, sleep, work, home, sleep....... it is depressing.

Holidays? Yes, with wife and kiddo, we travel at least a few times a year, that was what i promised when we got married.
Spend more time with the family? Yes, already all my non working hours.

All I want to know is if I am justified to feel upset. Or is it my own problem? I will try to internalise and understand the situation and try to accept it, but I realise that it is eating at me, and i am really upset about it.

Sorry if the post is not organized, cos I am very confused at this point in time.

sage

Alfrescian
Loyal
You are feeling insufficient and incapable and she is feeling the opposite as a successful corporate animal. If you want to go, dont jump and create mess for others. Choose a neater way and pledge your organs first, except the brain which is completely screwed and not even worth cadaveric use.

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
its onli 2 small issues...
it ain't as if shes alwiz nagging at u right?
unless u reply one sentence n she return u x 10 :rolleyes:

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sorry if the post is not organized, cos I am very confused at this point in time.

dun wake up your son when he's about to go asleep, he'll have problems sleeping later on...

i advise you and your wife to see a marriage counseller, if you are a Christian, see your pastor...

Last edited:

ahbengsong

Alfrescian
Loyal
There is no problem with you... your wife is just having a bad time at work and indirectly blaming you for it... thus the small tiffs...

Give and take... just bear with her and take life easy.. enjoy your family time like me... family is precious to me... each time i walk into the home.. my face lights up at the sight of my wife and two kids...

thats family...

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any sincere opinions are welcomed, sorry if you guys think I am ball-less, but as I explained to my friend once, if I have a choice of jumping off a building, or putting up with the nagging, I would choose to jump off the building. I know one of my weakness is I really do not like a confrontation, esp if I am not 100% correct.

Bro, I do have good news for you. The exact thing happenned in my household and later found the same with other friends. The intensity however varied widely.

Here are versions encountered by me and my friends

Here are common things that spark such events, toilet seat raised, door not closed, TV not switched off, appointment not kept etc.

Initially you have doubts, then you think your memory is going, then you think your missus' memory is going. Then you think its a setup and you go into a tailspin.

To cut a long story short, the stress gets to everyone and the friends that handled it well are those that did not treat this seriously and let it go. Do not fight it, do not look to rationalise it, do not even attempt to talk about it.

Firstly, you must be very sure that you are right and have indeed did not forget to do all these things. Secondly make alot of allowance for your partner as they might be going thru a patch. Lastly you will realise these are indeed very minor issues and there are major things that you both doing well.

Those who are indeed control freaks or well organised by nature tend to suffer most. Take it easy.