• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hello Umbrage Ng yat Chung, Sinkies ask you to fuck off and go jiak sai!

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Give Ng a chance to prove his mettle. Give him a top class top record profit making company. He will take it to places it has never been before!

Let Ng take charge of DBS bank.

i totally agree
he will make dbs the top bank in the world
he is no nonsense man
a hard core singaporean at heart
he will never fail singaporeans

LaoTze

Alfrescian
Loyal
1620570368600.png

iu
iu
iu

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Netizens go to town and blast SPH CEO over his ‘take umbrage’ comment

'Umbrage' is suddenly all the rage online
Photo: YouTube screengrab

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...-blast-sph-ceo-over-his-take-umbrage-comment/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...r-his-take-umbrage-comment/&via=Independentsg
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...blast+SPH+CEO+over+his+‘take+umbrage’+comment
https://telegram.me/share/url?url=h...blast+SPH+CEO+over+his+‘take+umbrage’+comment
https://reddit.com/submit?url=https...blast+SPH+CEO+over+his+‘take+umbrage’+comment
AUTHOR
Obbana Rajah
DATE
May 9, 2021

- Advertisement -
Update: Mr Ng issued an apology on the subject on Saturday (May 8). He told The Straits Times: “I had stood up for SPH Media’s long-cherished editorial integrity and will continue to do so. Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused and regret any distraction from the merits of the proposed restructuring.”
Singapore — Many brands and netizens have caught the “take umbrage” fever, making it the hottest catchphrase online.
Video clips of the incident where Singapore Press Holdings CEO Ng Yat Chung’s response to a Channel NewsAsia journalist’s question at a press conference on Thursday (May 6) captured the attention of many.
SPH said during the press conference that the revenue from the company limited by guarantee will now be channelled into the new constitution of the company with new goals. Responding, a -owned Channel NewsAsia journalist asked what the goals might be, adding: “Does this mean that the media business will now pivot to emphasise editorial integrity, for example, ahead of advertiser interest?”

- Advertisement -
The journalist also asked if it was safe to say this move comes after various corporate initiatives to improve the sustainability of the business failed.
In response, Mr Ng said he “took umbrage” at the journalist’s first question.
Netizens had a field day with comments about the word “umbrage”.
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.00-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.09-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.15-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.26-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.34-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.45-PM.png
Screen-Shot-2021-05-07-at-6.14.53-PM.png
Even Makansutra founder KF Seetoh commented on it.

In response to TISG’s queries, veteran journalist P.N. Balji said:
“It just tells me that there is a serious issue. This is the longest-lasting newspaper in Singapore with a history of about 200 years and it is one of the biggest shakeups – a major shakeup in recent times.

And instead of examining the deeper issue which is change, people are using this to make fun of things, which is in a way kind of typical of a society that dares not bring up the big issue.

And the real big issue here is the government. By that, I mean the government controls of Straits Times. The government control of the media, that is the bigger issue. That’s the one that should be discussed”.

He continued: “If you want to go into the specifics then I would say both parties were wrong. The reporter was wrong in the sense of not asking a good question. I mean I watched the video and she was not direct.

I think our journalists suffer from this. They don’t ask direct questions. When I mean direct question – she should have just asked a question.

Her question should have been short and sharp which is something like what does this shakeup mean to the way that SPH will deal with its advertisers. And I don’t think Ng Yat Chung would have gotten upset.

So I think that the reporter was kind of at fault here. Secondly, of course Ng Yat Chung is at fault here, definitely, because he just flew off the handle right. Which no newsmaker should”.

Businesses were quick to jump on the ‘umbrage’ bandwagon, including popular restaurant Tim Ho Wan.

Even t-shirt company Tee Hub got in on the action.

Responding to the CNA journalist, Mr Ng said: “There are reporters here who have received substantial funding from various sources, and I don’t believe that you will describe yourself as bowing to the needs of advertisers in doing your job”.
Mr Ng added that SPH has always had advertising and it has never conceded to the needs of advertisers. In fact, it will always continue to provide fair, reliable and credible reporting.
“The fact that you dare to question an SPH title for, in your words, conceding to advertisers, I take umbrage at that comment. Because I don’t believe that even where you come from, you do not concede to the needs of advertisers,” Mr Ng said.Follow us on Social Media

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPH Media Holdings: Different name, different company, but still the same state propaganda machine

Sense And Nonsense by Tan Bah Bah
File photo

https://www.facebook.com/sharer.php...-but-still-the-same-state-propaganda-machine/
https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?te...e-state-propaganda-machine/&via=Independentsg
https://www.linkedin.com/shareArtic...,+but+still+the+same+state+propaganda+machine
https://telegram.me/share/url?url=h...,+but+still+the+same+state+propaganda+machine
https://reddit.com/submit?url=https...,+but+still+the+same+state+propaganda+machine
AUTHOR
Tan Bah Bah
DATE
May 9, 2021

- Advertisement -
The story of Singapore’s mainstream print media is really two stories. One is political – the management or control of public opinion in a new environment. The other is keeping it alive commercially in today’s new information world where print media is a sunset business.
Nothing is going to change for the first – so long as the ruling People’s Action Party refuses to allow space for alternative views from a growing number of wakened Singaporeans – and because of that, staying alive commercially is always going to be impossible: who wants to pay to read His Master’s Voice propaganda? Singapore Press Holdings’ plan to restructure its media arm into a not-for-profit entity amid falling revenue is just another desperate attempt to find a solution to a conundrum. At the same time, it could also be that of singing and selling a public song to camouflage two conflicting truths – poor management or the intended but unsaid dismantling of SPH’s still considerable assets when Ng Yat Chung was sent over to be CEO.
First, the political part.
The PAP’s attitude towards local press is well-known and well-documented. For Lee Kuan Yew, the press had no role in politics, much less be some kind of pillar of democracy or a fourth estate like in the West where the media played an active, often adversarial, check and balance role. The press here was simply a state tool to publicise and explain government policies. LKY’s dictum was: if you wanted to oppose policies, become a politician and make your stand as one, not from the sideline. Fight it out in the polls, and not muddy up the pages of newspapers. He was prepared to shut down any newspaper which believed or acted otherwise. The list of casualties included Nanyang Siang Pau and Singapore Herald. In the early years, LKY actually left The Straits Times alone, so long as it behaved itself. At that stage, the paper was in the hands of people who were not exactly enamoured of the PAP but were no rabble-rousers.

- Advertisement -
I would say LKY did not pay much attention during the busy post-independence era. If ST became a nuisance, he would just close it down and allow another one to replace it. We all know it was then Culture Minister S Rajaratnam who advised against such a move: why not take over and make use of it? As they say, the rest is history. Rajaratnam, who used to be a leader writer for the Singapore Standard, understood better the value of co-opting rather than destroying a running and viable instrument.
Political control was the easy part. Not satisfied with the periodic coffee break or lunch meetings to establish a lopsided (master/follower) bonhomie , the government obviously wanted to take over the newspaper operation. Step by step, scholars of every shade and size and bureaucrats from all kinds of ministries were planted in The Straits Times. The professional journalists, with years of proven and unquestionable experience, found themselves having to listen and report to these pseudo journalists. I must point out, however, some of these co-opted staffers did turn out to be good journalists and probably were persuaded to the cause of meaningful journalism. Some are still there. Good for them.
Also, just before the current set of senior editors (I mean those really at the top and not the whole caboodle of tan chiak careerists), there was a transition period. Older editors who rose from the ranks were still in charge. But not for long. They were fighting a losing battle against the final emergence of commissars and apparatchiks who would eventually take over editorial control.
At a later stage of the government’s increasing interest in SPH came the (voila!) discovery that the media conglomerate was rich. It also owned properties. SPH was a useful resource which, earlier, looked truly like a cash cow that could do no wrong commercially. One top civil servant after another, one ex-minister after another benefitted from the SPH’s sudden extra role as a grazing farm for retirees, complete with limousines, nice offices and God knows what other perks.

When it became clear as SPH profits began to dip, notwithstanding the group’s monopolistic advantage, that the print media business was a dying one, something had to be done.
But why was Ng Yat Chung made SPH’s CEO? Was he the right man to rescue the newspaper group in troubled times, since he came with a record of having steered NOL, the national shipping line, into the water? His explanation for his failure was that NOL did not have “the scale” to be a premium line while admitting that it was “a bit slow and reluctant to change”. French shipping line CMA CMG took over and eventually turned it around in 2017.
So why? It could be that Ng’s experience at NOL made him a good fit to understand the challenge of finding a new role for a company heading towards an uncertain period. If that was so, he might well be the best person to unlock and extract new value and to plan for that eventuality.
Was he brought there for that specific purpose, to plan for and oversee the breakup of SPH?

Does not really matter.
Call it what you may, CLG (company limited by guarantee), “meaningful journalism”, China porcelain bowl, SPH Media Holdings or whatever, the mainstream print media will continue to become less and less relevant.
I ask again: who wants to pay to read HMV state propaganda?

Tan Bah Bah, consulting editor of TheIndependent.Sg, is a former senior leader writer with The Straits Times. He was also managing editor of a local magazine publishing world

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
The press conference flop showed that Gen Ng is not a superman,he is only a human being and has limitations.

Alfrescian
Loyal
ITS A DISTRACTION!!! EVERYONE IS NOW FOCUSED ON UMBRAGE AND FORGOT ABOUT THE COVID/INDIA FUCK UP..... PAPZIS WIN!!

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nearly 10,000 signed petition to call for the dismissal of SPH CEO from his position - The Online Citizen Asia
Nearly 10,000 signed petition to call for the dismissal of SPH CEO from his position
Nearly 10,000 people have signed the petition to call for the dismissal of Singapore Press Holdings’ (SPH) chief executive officer Ng Yat Chung from the company, in the wake of his “umbrage” controversy recently.

During the press briefing to announce the transfer of SPH’s media business to a not-for-profit entity, Mr Ng was asked by a reporter from CNA if the plans would mean the media business would pivot to emphasize editorial integrity ahead of advertiser interests.

Stressing that he took umbrage at such questions, Mr Ng said — while pointing at the reporters — that their media outlets do not describe themselves as “bowing to the needs of advertisers in doing your job” despite where they receive their funding from.

“(At) SPH, we always have advertising, but never pander to the needs of advertisers… The fact that you dare to question (the editorial independence) of SPH titles… I don’t believe even where you come from, you concede in doing your job,” he said.

“I must call this out… Chairman (Lee Boon Yang) is a gentleman. I’m not.”

Mr Ng has since issued an apology for his apparent outburst at the SPH press conference.

He told The Straits Times on Saturday (8 May): “I had stood up for SPH Media’s long-cherished editorial integrity and will continue to do so. Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused and regret any distraction from the merits of the proposed restructuring.”

Despite his public apology, a netizen has launched a petition to call for SPH to dismiss Mr Ng from his position, saying that “Singaporeans take umbrage at SPH CEO’s boorish behaviour, demand his sacking”.

“Ugly in word, manner and appearance, we do not concede that a man who has less talent than our collective pinky should continue to helm SPH.

“One having gone bust under his watch (NOL), Ng should not be let anywhere near another of the Little Red Dot’s prize jewels (SPH).

“We therefore urge the board of SPH to take due umbrage at Ng’s bullying, dishonesty and incompetence by sacking him without delay, lest he sink the ship of SPH as well and disgrace our country,” the petition reads.

The petition has garnered about 9,643 signatures at the time of writing.

A handful of people have also expressed their reasons for signing the petition in the comment section, saying that they “take umbrage” at Mr Ng’s outburst at the press conference.

One person wrote: “I take umbrage at his behavior as a highly paid person who’s not taking responsibility for the failure of the companies he has helmed in the past!”

Others wrote that they feel unsure of Mr Ng’s leadership, calling him an “incompetent” leader and blamed him for SPH’s downfall.

Another person noted that Singapore requires leaders that can “uplift and lead without making us feel unsure”.

One person questioned: “How can this type of gangster behavior be permitted in Singapore?”

SPH to transfer media business to not-for-profit entity following plummeting advertising revenue
In a statement on 6 May, SPH said it will be transferring its media business to a not-for-profit entity in the wake of declining revenue from advertising.

The company said that the decision was made as part of its strategic review, which was announced on 30 Mar.

This restructuring exercise will entail transferring the entire media-related businesses of SPH including relevant subsidiaries, relevant employees, News Centre and Print Centre, their respective leaseholds, and all related intellectual property and information technology assets to a newly incorporated wholly-owned subsidiary, SPH Media Holdings Pte Ltd.

SPH will provide the initial resources and funding by capitalising SPH Media with a cash injection of S$80 million, S$30 million worth of SPH shares and SPH REIT units, as well as SPH’s stakes in four of its digital media investments.

The transfer will take place at a nominal sum. The not-for-profit entity will be a newly formed public company limited by guarantee CLG.

SPH said that it will release more information about the CLG in due course.

Share this:

asenmaga

Alfrescian
Loyal
SPH split into 2 a CLG and a property company....preparing vacancies for Ex Ministers and ex Generals to continue to feed on the gravy train ?