• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Hello Umbrage Ng yat Chung, Sinkies ask you to fuck off and go jiak sai!

Johnrambo

Alfrescian
Loyal
https://tinyurI.com/33ksmuxn

ObL9Lrq.png

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Give Ng a chance to prove his mettle. Give him a top class top record profit making company. He will take it to places it has never been before!

Let Ng take charge of DBS bank.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Give Ng a chance to prove his mettle. Give him a top class top record profit making company. He will take it to places it has never been before!

Let Ng take charge of DBS bank.
phew! luckily you don’t suggest sia. i need direct flights to sg on that airline.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Ng Yat Chung is not the worst among all the SAF scholars this system has churned out.

At last his damage was localized in floundering GLCs. Some of the others fuck over the entire country. :cool:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
If put him in struggling company like SIA no point. He has already shown his track record with trying to resurrect already dead companies.
yalor, he has the unique knack of diluting and destroying sinkie shareholders’ value so much that foreign entities who buy in after demise make a killing on the bargain - a much sought after ASSet and dream hatchetman among global conglomerates. that must have been taught at stanford business school, and he must have honed it like an art - a true hater of all things sinkie (he even scolded one in pubic) and morbid lover of foreign ownership out to show sg how profitable business is done.

a_korusawa

Alfrescian
Loyal

this mother F$%^ker dares to say sph has done so well for past many years !!??

obviously, he has been paid millions to be the fall guy for this episode by the gahmen!

else, its obvious that there will be many many international buyers out there, if its not for a non-profitable business units

and to make sph becoming an exclusive for pappies' propaganda and main stream media too . . . . sillyppre has made it again new heights and ranks in autocratic country!

this country's hopeless liao!

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
In the past, he worked as a Senior Director at Temasek.
I believe that the government and govt affiliated agencies should not hire him.
Heard he did very well at Temasek.

Actually anybody who bought massive amounta of stocks in April 2020 and is still holding on is a genius. It isnt rocket science.

Give Ng a chance. Let him take charge of DBS bank. I am quite sure he does better in the financial sector. Maybe Standard Chartered Bank?

Charlie99

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I have a few suggestions for him;
1. Apologize without any reservation to that female journalist, and those who were at the meeting
2. Apologize to the shareholders, and take responsibility for the losses at SPH
3. Resign immmrediately.

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
Theindependent
'Umbrage' is suddenly all the rage online

Photo: YouTube screengrab
Author

- Advertisement -
Update: Mr Ng issued an apology on the subject on Saturday (May 8). He told The Straits Times: “I had stood up for SPH Media’s long-cherished editorial integrity and will continue to do so. Being a direct and blunt-speaking person, I apologise for any offence I might have caused and regret any distraction from the merits of the proposed restructuring.”

Singapore — Many brands and netizens have caught the “take umbrage” fever, making it the hottest catchphrase online.

Video clips of the incident where Singapore Press Holdings CEO Ng Yat Chung’s response to a Channel NewsAsia journalist’s question at a press conference on Thursday (May 6) captured the attention of many.

SPH said during the press conference that the revenue from the company limited by guarantee will now be channelled into the new constitution of the company with new goals. Responding, a -owned Channel NewsAsia journalist asked what the goals might be, adding: “Does this mean that the media business will now pivot to emphasise editorial integrity, for example, ahead of advertiser interest?”

- Advertisement -
The journalist also asked if it was safe to say this move comes after various corporate initiatives to improve the sustainability of the business failed.

In response, Mr Ng said he “took umbrage” at the journalist’s first question.

Netizens had a field day with comments about the word “umbrage”.

Even Makansutra founder KF Seetoh commented on it.

In response to TISG’s queries, veteran journalist P.N. Balji said:

“It just tells me that there is a serious issue. This is the longest-lasting newspaper in Singapore with a history of about 200 years and it is one of the biggest shakeups – a major shakeup in recent times.

And instead of examining the deeper issue which is change, people are using this to make fun of things, which is in a way kind of typical of a society that dares not bring up the big issue.

And the real big issue here is the government. By that, I mean the government controls of Straits Times. The government control of the media, that is the bigger issue. That’s the one that should be discussed”.

He continued: “If you want to go into the specifics then I would say both parties were wrong. The reporter was wrong in the sense of not asking a good question. I mean I watched the video and she was not direct.

I think our journalists suffer from this. They don’t ask direct questions. When I mean direct question – she should have just asked a question.

Her question should have been short and sharp which is something like what does this shakeup mean to the way that SPH will deal with its advertisers. And I don’t think Ng Yat Chung would have gotten upset.

So I think that the reporter was kind of at fault here. Secondly, of course Ng Yat Chung is at fault here, definitely, because he just flew off the handle right. Which no newsmaker should”.

Businesses were quick to jump on the ‘umbrage’ bandwagon, including popular restaurant Tim Ho Wan.

Even t-shirt company Tee Hub got in on the action.

Responding to the CNA journalist, Mr Ng said: “There are reporters here who have received substantial funding from various sources, and I don’t believe that you will describe yourself as bowing to the needs of advertisers in doing your job”.

Mr Ng added that SPH has always had advertising and it has never conceded to the needs of advertisers. In fact, it will always continue to provide fair, reliable and credible reporting.

“The fact that you dare to question an SPH title for, in your words, conceding to advertisers, I take umbrage at that comment. Because I don’t believe that even where you come from, you do not concede to the needs of advertisers,” Mr Ng said.Follow us on Social Media

Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
YouTube
Reddit
LinkedIn
Telegram
Email
Send in your scoops to [email protected]

Hypocrite-The

Alfrescian
Loyal
The CEO takes umbrage | Malay Mail
MAY 9 — Umbrage. That’s the trending word on Singapore’s cyberspace at the moment.

In fact, the trend has already crossed over into the real world with major brands like Tim Ho Wan offering umbrage promotions and there are even umbrage T-shirts available for sale.

Why has this rather antiquated term for taking offence come back into fashion?

Well, when Ng Yat Chung who is CEO of Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) — Singapore’s main newspaper publishing group — was asked at a press conference about maintaining editorial independence under a proposed new business model, he took umbrage.

“Chairman, if I may, I honestly, I take umbrage at the first question. There are reporters from here who receive substantial funding from various sources. I don’t believe you will describe yourselves as bowing to the needs of advertisers in doing your job.

“... the fact that you dare to question SPH’s titles for, in your words, conceding to the (advertisers), I take umbrage at that comment.”

Basically, he was maintaining that SPH titles Straits Times, Lian He Zhao Bao and Berita Harian would continue to take an independent stance even after proposed changes that would see them become not-for profit donor funded organisations instead of advertising-based, profit-driven publications.

Singapore’s newspapers will now be run on donations. This is necessary because the advertising-based traditional model for news publications is in many cases no longer viable.

As social media and digital platforms have cornered the market for advertising, once-mighty publications like the Straits Times have become strapped for cash.

These papers can’t be run profitably any longer but for the Singapore public, journalism and newspapers are still a valuable source of information. Donor-funding will allow them to continue their role without worrying about profits.

However, it is likely that most of these donations will come from state-linked entities so questions about editorial independence do seem valid.

In fact, there have been very long-standing questions about the editorial independence of the media. Singapore ranks at a lowly 158th place in the global press freedom index – below Sudan and Belarus.

Lee Kuan Yew, Singapore’s founding father, is quoted as saying “freedom of the press, freedom of the news media, must be subordinated to the overriding needs of the integrity of Singapore, and to the primacy of purpose of an elected government.”

So, a question about editorial independence seems perfectly valid and just why the CEO of a newspaper group would take umbrage and respond in this manner to a simple question asked by a journalist has many Singaporeans tickled – bringing far more focus to the event than it would have otherwise.

Reading online comments, it would seem for many an example of an overpaid state-linked company CEO showing the worst side of Singapore leadership.

But ultimately, umbrage aside, the most pertinent question is what does this mean for the city’s main broadsheet moving forward?

* This is the personal opinion of the columnist.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
....can’t be run profitably any longer but for the Singapore public, journalism and newspapers are still a valuable source of information. Donor-funding will allow them to continue their role without worrying about profits.

Not a valuable source of information but an invaluable source of propaganda. :rolleyes:

Cottonmouth

Alfrescian
Loyal
I have a few suggestions for him;
1. Apologize without any reservation to that female journalist, and those who were at the meeting
2. Apologize to the shareholders, and take responsibility for the losses at SPH
3. Resign immmrediately.

4. slit throat