• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB's privatization of wet markets failed miserably !

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sep 21, 2010
Sengkang market turns into ghost town

At least 18 stallholders have moved out, citing thin crowds, high rents
By Jamie Ee Wen Wei

http://www.straitstimes.com/Singapore/Story/STIStory_580912.html

SOME stallholders in Sengkang's first wet market-cum-food centre are calling it quits, citing a lack of crowds and high rents.

Kopitiam Square, located opposite Sengkang MRT station, is the first stand- alone market and food centre that the Housing Board (HDB) has allowed a private operator to build and run.

It opened in December and the $12million market was billed as the first one here with a supermarket ambience: The place is equipped with an air-cleaning system that offers better ventilation, and eliminates the odours and wet floors traditionally associated with wet markets.

Now, at least 15 out of the 60 food stalls and three wet market stalls out of 48 have moved out.

One stallholder who sells cooked food left in May, saying business was so poor he did not have more than 30 customers a day. He breached the three-year contract and now owes the operator about $6,000 in arrears. The 48-year-old, who declined to be named, said: 'Initially, everyone thought this location was good because there isn't a market here. But now, we really can't sustain our business.'

The centre, which serves about 250 HDB blocks in Sengkang, opened to great fanfare as residents had been asking for a wet market to be built there since 2007.

But concerns were raised when Renaissance Properties, a subsidiary of foodcourt chain Kopitiam, won the tender to build and run the centre at $500,100 a month. Residents were worried the price would translate into higher rents and, thus, higher food prices.

Indeed, the monthly rent for a stall there is between $2,000 and $6,000, higher than that of between $1,500 and $3,000 in an HDB-run market.

Cooked food also costs more. A bowl of fish soup, for example, costs $4, about $1 more than what other food centres charge.

Those who use Kopitiam stored-value cards, however, enjoy a 10 per cent discount at the food centre and a 5 per cent discount for wet market produce.

The stallholders interviewed said business was good initially. It was reported in January that 20,000 patronised the place daily. But the crowds soon thinned as customers complained about the prices, poor ventilation and poor food quality.

Retiree Richard Pang, 62, who shops at the wet market occasionally, noted that pork could cost about $2 more a kg compared to that sold in other wet markets.

Housewife Lum Wai Leng, 40, felt the food centre was not up to standard.

'The food is quite expensive but the taste is so-so. There is no air-conditioning too so the price just isn't justified.'

Earlier this year, Kopitiam cut the rental by 30 per cent but some stallholders said they are still struggling to cover the rent. Other measures, such as introducing free shuttle services for Sengkang and Punggol residents and offering an hour of free parking, also failed to draw the crowds after the initial surge.

Kopitiam declined to be interviewed.

The Straits Times understands that it has sent letters to stallholders who have left, asking them to pay their arrears. These stallholders also forfeit their deposits of a few thousand dollars.

Besides Kopitiam Square, there is another wet market in Sengkang, in Rivervale Mall, about 1km away. But residents have complained about its small size and poor service standards.

Mr Charles Chong, an MP for Pasir Ris-Punggol GRC, said he was concerned about the closure of the stalls as residents' needs may not be met. He said grassroots leaders have sought approval from the authorities to organise events such as movie screenings in the open area near the market to draw the crowds.

He added that HDB should relook its practice of awarding tenders to the highest bidder, to ensure that businesses are viable.

Despite the exodus, some stallholders said they will stay on. One vegetable seller, who wanted to be identified only as Madam Ang, 61, said: 'Residents, especially the housewives, do want a wet market and food centre here.'

kojakbt

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stall owners lost money. The idiot who tendered high lost money. Sengkang residents lost a wet market as it gradually turned into a ghost town.

So, tell me, who is the big winner here? Anyone?

silverfox@

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stall owners lost money. The idiot who tendered high lost money. Sengkang residents lost a wet market as it gradually turned into a ghost town.

HDB gave out the tender and human greed made the winner of the tender sent in high bid to win the tender. In the end everyone lost, except HDB.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it is not PAP fault this time, it is the PAP dogs fault for overbidding the place. and then passing the cost to the hawker/wet market business.

lifeafter41

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

12 million dollar market???.

How many fish, pork or vegetable they have to sell to recover it. Perhaps, the company that tendered for it should try putting in a days work to operate a stall and see how they could sell more fish or vegtable in order just to cover rental, rather than just collecting rental.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I think the bidders have run successful businesses before but then drew the wrong conclusion that everyone wants to run their businesses like them, i.e., push as much inventory as possible without regard for rest or other activities.

This attitude of "everyone should do it my way" is symptomatic of what will be Singapore's ultimate decline.

12 million dollar market???.

How many fish, pork or vegetable they have to sell to recover it. Perhaps, the company that tendered for it should try putting in a days work to operate a stall and see how they could sell more fish or vegtable in order just to cover rental, rather than just collecting rental.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>He said grassroots leaders have sought approval from the authorities to organise events such as movie screenings in the open area near the market to draw the crowds.<<

What kind of brainless minister will suggest using movie screenings to attract ppl to go markets? :rolleyes:

garlic

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
>>He said grassroots leaders have sought approval from the authorities to organise events such as movie screenings in the open area near the market to draw the crowds.<<

What kind of brainless minister will suggest using movie screenings to attract ppl to go markets? :rolleyes:

The highest paid one

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think it is not PAP fault this time, it is the PAP dogs fault for overbidding the place. and then passing the cost to the hawker/wet market business.

The wolf is so clever to disguise itself as a meek sheep; even you are saying it is not the PAP fault. Just like the flooding at orchard Rd...

Had HDB in the past lost money managing the wet markets, food courts? No, I do not think so. In the quest to make more money, they have tendered out the markets to private entities, who according to market force tendered for them. Of course, it is their fault for a bad investment.

The point is, the residents are the ones who suffer for the high prices they have to pay to purchase lower quality produces & food.

The landlord HDB make the most money out of this, of course it is mot their fault....never!:wink:

cocobobo

Alfrescian
Loyal
where else in the world is the provision of BASIC NEEDS outsourced to the HIGHEST bidder?

i've done business worldwide but find it hard to find an example elsewhere.

it really is a stupid strategy.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
Well, what ever is happening the business development manager is going to be fried. The organization simply over estimate the spending power of the people there, over invest in environment control and simply milk the hawkers dry.
It goes down to the fact that they have disregard the survival of others ine the process. Imagine how the hawkers can come out with quality food when all they earn goes to pay the rent. They will end up cutting cost on the food they serve. Once the reputation of expensive and lousy food is being served, it is difficult to get people back, this case is the example.

Baroko

Alfrescian
Loyal

It is without doubt the fault of the PAP. Each time they privatize a government service the cost goes up. PUB is one good example. Privatization only increase the cost of the supply chain of goods and services to the end consumers, something the MIWs either don't know or didn't want to know as long as it brings in more revenues to the govt coffers.

Most residents nearby have little choice but to try and patronize the market as it is closeby. Hence increasing the cost of living.

Great mortal Charles Chong idea of screening movies is a joke. He might as well send in the clowns, himself included.

The PAP great success is increasing the cost of living for the masses so that they themselves can have "more good years" as GCT put it. Have we forgotten so quickly?

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal
It opened in December and the $12million market was billed as the first one here with a supermarket ambience: The place is equipped with an air-cleaning system that offers better ventilation, and eliminates the odours and wet floors traditionally associated with wet markets.

--------------------------------------------

The stallholders interviewed said business was good initially. It was reported in January that 20,000 patronised the place daily. But the crowds soon thinned as customers complained about the prices, poor ventilation and poor food quality.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yes indeed. wat wet market? it was not a wet market. it was a project given to the highest bidder, tatz all.

imho.....
1) kopitiam behave like pap. outbid every competitor with excessive money.
2) let the consumer bear the lost.
3) govt body dun care abt wat the developer going to do, as long the money oreadi in the pocket.

:oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo::oIo:

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you wan cheaper, then you cannot privatize.

Just like those DBSS craps.... once you like private in, they strip you dry.

denzuko1

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is without doubt the fault of the PAP. Each time they privatize a government service the cost goes up....The PAP great success is increasing the cost of living for the masses so that they themselves can have "more good years" as GCT put it. Have we forgotten so quickly?

No need to just consider privatisation. Everytime the touch something, it withers. China Town is a good example. There are an open street market in the 80s and one day PAP said, let's make China Town clean so that people can enjoy the scenary. They built the huge hawker centre and shooed all the snakes and turtle butchers into the building. Now the road can clearly be visible. Yet all of a sudden, people stopped visiting China Town.

It took more than 20 years before life coming back to the area, and it is not as good as before even. The remedies that the Garment put in simply failed to attract the crowds like before. People like tourists simply want to see Singaporeans' life the way they lived, not how it should have been presented. They love seeing people kill turtles,snakes and fishes on the streets!

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

If we follow Buddhist teaching, the cause of every bad can be traced to 2 main reasons : greed and self. I always wonder if I can use these 2 reasons to absolved myself of all my misdeeds or mistakes in creating situation that encourages greed and self.

loloba

Alfrescian
Loyal

I disagree it is entirely HDB's fault, the least they can do is to make sure everyone has affordable food after the affordable housing, didn't they make enough from housing why squeaze further.

Why they need so much money? To sell off everything? In the long run the govt is just an empty shell all the money went into losing billions in investment and overbudget for YOG.

There is no way you can recoup from these losses.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go there and see it yourself.

I think the fish soup is around $10 per bowl and the wanton mee is $3.50. The same kind of food is sold at $4 and $2.50 in other places. You take the younger generations in SengKang as idiots? At least 35% higher?

All these greedy people deserved to be punished by losing money.:biggrin: