• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

HDB Flat no longer Asset...........you think?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Your HDB Flat Is No Longer the Asset You Think It Is

Since 2008, HDB flat owners have been enjoying steadily rising resale and Cash-over-Valuation (COV) prices. To look at a graph of the rise and fall of resale prices is to be reminded of the tracks of a roller coaster. No, I’m not talking about some “kiddie coaster” like the Shrek ride at Universal Studios Singapore – I’m talking about one of those coasters with a huge incline that’s both terrifying and exhilarating to ride on.

That was until the second quarter of 2013, when resale values suddenly began to fall rapidly. That’s the bad thing about roller coasters. Once you reach the peak, you’re left with is a horrifying drop that you can’t avoid – all you can do is go along for the ride.

Why You Shouldn’t Get Your Hopes Up About Using Your HDB Flat as an Asset

“Big deal, prices rise and fall, that’s completely normal!” some say. Surely we’ll eventually see prices rise up again so we can ride the roller coaster once more right? Well, not exactly. In the past, you could have expected prices to go up and down according to the market.

But things are different now, because of government intervention.

The reality is that government intervention is what’s keeping HDB property prices from becoming even more unaffordable than they already are. Think about it – according to the HDB resale price index, the value of resale flats increased by over 175% from Q1 1992 to Q1 2013!

That was until the government took the following actions:
•Implemented Cooling Measures: The first few rounds of cooling measures didn’t seem to have much impact on resale prices. But once the government got serious and reduced the Mortgage Servicing Ratio (MSR), loan tenures, and restricted PRs from buying for 3 years – that pretty much did the trick.
•Commenced Building New Flats: HDB released a record number of flats in 2013. In fact, according to the Minister of National Development, over the next three years we’ll see about 80K new flats being completed.

Long story short – after releasing 8 rounds of cooling measures and a deluge of BTO flats, MAS finally brought down skyrocketing HDB resale prices in 2013 the same way a .450 Nitro Express bullet brings down a charging rhino.

The proof can be seen in falling resale flat prices, which dropped almost 2% in the second half of 2013 and is expected to decrease by as much as 10%. Also, the median COV price has dropped by over 85% over the last 4 years, and continues to drop.

What Can You Expect In The Future?

In trying to make property “more affordable” for the average Singaporean, the government also created a painful Catch-22 situation for HDB flat owners. That situation is this – HDB owners now have to start dealing with the reality that their flat is no longer an asset; now it’s just public housing, with a value that’s no longer controlled by the market, but the government.

Changing the perception of HDB flats from a money making asset to a living space that you and your descendents can inhabit for 99 years will be a painful process. But the reality comes down to these important points:
•HDB flats started out as “affordable public housing,” in the 1960s, turned into VERY profitable asset over the span of a few decades, and now the government wants to make them “affordable” again.
•You don’t own your HDB flat, you’re only leasing it.
•Your flat’s value ultimately becomes $0 at the end of your 99-year lease, because HDB flats all eventually return to their true owner – HDB.

But you don’t have to take my word for it. Worker’s Party MP Gerald Giam learned that tough truth from the Minister of National Development in an interview posted on his blog.

Sure, you’ll have outliers like the $1 Million dollar Bishan flat. But for the most part, HDB flats will rise and fall based off the government periodically tightening home buying restrictions when values get too high, and loosening them so prices go up just enough to make you forget about any decrease in your flat’s resale value. Then, the cycle will repeat itself ad infinitum. Almost sounds like a form of torture doesn’t it?

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal
in summary, gahmen should have never allowed stupid sinkies to speculate on their own homes to the point of driving themselves into debt and making other people homeless!!! it's all sinkies fault!!!

AhKong

Alfrescian
Loyal
In Singapore, it's only a roof over your head, inaddition it's 99 only, what do you think?

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Its been more than 40 years since HDB scheme was introduced, and only now, idiots are finding out that they have to give the flat back with zero value after 99 years. Amazing.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Aiyah, anyone remember the plastic surgeon, knn, sinkee court? Got money is innocent, no money is guilty! Another one, drink mabo langar mata car also can get away. Justice? Fuck you understand!

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Muthu, stop drinking the toti and fucking your Pinay maid girlfriend at night in Punggol forest lah. Everything so dark, skali you enter the wrong hole, how?
Nabez. Muthu also need to tao hor.
Back to topic. Remember late jbj brought this up in one of the parliament sessions. Very solid facts but was conveniently push aside. Hope sinkees know why cannot havr 1 party majority garberment. No difference from north korea.

presby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its been more than 40 years since HDB scheme was introduced, and only now, idiots are finding out that they have to give the flat back with zero value after 99 years. Amazing.

After 99 years, they will sell you COE for you to remain in your flat. They have zero building cost for your "expired" flat but continue to deduct from your CPF for another 20-30 years.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You all talk cock lah. Woody Asset Enhancement program so good that, after 99 years, your HDB pigeonhole enhance until become KOSONG!

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
In accounting standards, Hdb leasehold properties are technically consider as Fixed Asset, depreciating asset.

Banks will only give partial loans to borrower for properties with less than 60 years left in the leasehold. I always amazed by younger cousins who brought 30 years old 4 rooms flats at almost half a mil so that can stay near parents. Their parents paid only less that 10% of what my cousins paid for the same size flat 30 years ago. The world gone mad.

kukubird58

Alfrescian
Loyal
In accounting standards, Hdb leasehold properties are technically consider as Fixed Asset, depreciating asset.

Banks will only give partial loans to borrower for properties with less than 60 years left in the leasehold. I always amazed by younger cousins who brought 30 years old 4 rooms flats at almost half a mil so that can stay near parents. Their parents paid only less that 10% of what my cousins paid for the same size flat 30 years ago. The world gone mad.
hahaha....i have 1 kuku question....
what is the value of a leasehold pte private property upon expiry of the lease???

da dick

Alfrescian
Loyal

i've been telling familee and flens that for years, but they think I'M THE ONE WHO IS MAD! the quitters likkke that neddy and that nazzi also parrot the same thing say singapore property must always go up up up or else die!

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset

What partial loan? One bank I talk to say no loan possible if the lease has less than 75 years. The minute the banks start to have this restrictions on the age of the flat, good luck trying to sell it at market prices. Who got that much down payment? The price will go down for your flat if people cannot get a loan to pay for it or have to put a very high down payment.

Last edited:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
After 99 years, they will sell you COE for you to remain in your flat. They have zero building cost for your "expired" flat but continue to deduct from your CPF for another 20-30 years.

What COE? There will be no COE. They do not want you to stay in the flat. They will kick you out because they can build more units in a taller building after they demolish your whole block.