• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Harley goes with electric engine!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
This I never expected to materialise - Harley Davidson motorcycles with E-engines. This brand once even tried to patent it's engine's sound which its riders love and associate it with the macho image of the V-twin. The company's move in this direction is indication that public trends may be shifting and wish to be more forward looking when launching new models. Haha, the current loud thumping noisy Harley-D is really looking more and more like a dinosaur. Let's see how this new engine turns out.

Cheers!

http://www.ibtimes.com/harley-davidson-propel-its-battery-powered-motorcycle-mainstream-1606344

Harley-Davidson To Propel Its Battery-Powered Motorcycle Into The Mainstream

By Maria Gallucci
on June 19 2014 2:54 PM

Motorcycle giant Harley-Davidson Motor Co. (NYSE:HOG) is propelling battery-powered motorcycles intoh the mainstream.
The 111-year-old manufacturer is slated to unveil its first electric motorcycle next week in New York, marking its initial step into a niche vehicle market that until now has included only a handful of small startups.
“We think that the trends in both [electric-vehicle] technology and customer openness to EV products, both automotive and motorcycles, is only going to increase,” Matthew Levatich, the company’s president, told Associated Press this week. “When you think about sustainability and environmental trends, we just see that being an increasing part of the lifestyle and the requirements of riders.”
Its emissions-free LiveWire motorcycle won’t have the familiar roar of its gas-powered models. Instead, it will sound like a fighter jet coming in for a landing, an executive told Bloomberg News. The model will undergo extensive research and development in the next several years before it hits the market.
The big brand’s move into electric motorcycles “is going to do a lot for this nascent market,” Cosmin Laslau, a research analyst in energy-storage technologies at Lux Research in Boston, told International Business Times. “When somebody has the manufacturing heft behind them to put out high-quality products that are backed by a really strong engineering department … then it opens up a host of opportunities.”
Still, Laslau said he doesn’t think electric motorcycles will be flying off the showroom floor any time soon, for two key reasons: expensive battery packs that drive up sticker prices, and consumers’ range anxiety—the fear that they’ll find themselves stranded on the road with a dead battery and no place to charge. Both hurdles plague the four-wheel electric-vehicle market, which so far make up just 1 percent of annual vehicle sales worldwide.
Harley said its electric motorcycle battery will go about 130 miles on a single charge. Laslau said the maker could attract more buyers by doubling the range. Smaller, more energy-dense battery packs could also help drive down the price premium of electric bikes. That’s “the biggest thing that could drive this market,” he said.
Only about 5,000 full-size, high-powered electric motorcycles are expected to sell globally this year, and half will come from one firm alone: the Silicon Valley startup Zero Motorcycles. By comparison, Harley-Davidson sold more than 260,000 conventional motorcycles in 2013, AP noted.
Other electric motorcycle makers include startups like Brammo, Mission Motor and Lightning, though Japan’s Yamaha Motor has an electric model in development, and Germany’s BMW is said to have an electric scooter in production, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Harley’s Levatich said the company will address the range-anxiety challenge by helping to develop rapid-charging technologies and creating universal industry standards, so that all makes and models can use the same plugs, AP said. He added that Harley could also provide charging stations through its dealership network.
Laslau suggested that Harley might take a page from the electric automobile experience: While demand from mass-market consumers might be tepid, luxury-class cars have so far been a hit (think Tesla). “It might be an interesting expansion into new markets where they’re trying to target unconventional [motorcycle] buyers,” he said.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I guess no one here cares about motorcycles, but anyway came across a youtube video of Harley's E-bike. Don't remember how to embed the clip, but here's the URL link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P54sjBdYhwQ

The bike is fast! 0-60 in 4 seconds. And it sounds and looks good. It's too much of a bike for me, but if this indicates the direction of new bikes, it is a cool way to go. And who'd ever thought Harley would be setting the trend?

Cheers!

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
yoshimura exhaust is more authentic for a bike, your new harley may sound futuristic but lack the oomph...:o

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ddwPOlrKbh8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
That will take some time. Environmental concerns will definitely have influence on vehicle design. When I started riding motorcycles, two-stroke engines were the dominant type of engine. They were so pollutive that the state of California came out with stringent emission controls that spelt the end of the two-stroke engine. Now with economic growth in China, four-stroke engines may have to give way to hybrid and electric engines. This will not happen overnight, but we're seeing signs of this. I'm with you on the statement you made, but let's allow it to take its course. In time, we will see much cleaner engines on the roads.

Cheers!

Its about time all motorcycle manufacturers focus on e-bikes. Its easier and more commuter friendly.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yoshimura is a big name in aftermarket exhaust systems. Whilst they're more noticeable for the big bore high performance motorcycle, Yoshimura also makes systems for smaller motorcycles. I saw a set made for Yamaha's FZ16 (150 c.c.) that was really cute and gives that bike a feeling of individuality.

Whilst the loud throaty roar of a powerful motorcycle (or car) may excite most, it is not always necessary for that to send that high sense of thrill. Take a look at Honda's Gold Wing. That bike is powerful, and silent. When pushed, it can be frighteningly fast as well.

Cheers!

yoshimura exhaust is more authentic for a bike, your new harley may sound futuristic but lack the oomph...:o

GramStroker

Alfrescian
Loyal
Talking about Harleys, just half hour ago a huge convey of about 20-30 Harleys roared down pasir panjang towards west coast highway. Anyone knows what's the occasion?

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the local Harley boys periodically do their runs up north into Malaysia and Thailand. This must be a local meeting at some Roti Prata shop.

Cheers!

Talking about Harleys, just half hour ago a huge convey of about 20-30 Harleys roared down pasir panjang towards west coast highway. Anyone knows what's the occasion?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Harley is late to the game. Brammo started selling their electric bikes 4 years ago. Brammo only make electric bikes. So they don't have any historical baggage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IcwiDHTADE

Their Empluse model is capable of reaching 110mph with a range of over 100 miles

[video=youtube;et1O-KOieBU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et1O-KOieBU[/video]

Don't expect the PAP to allow electric bikes in Spore because they get plenty of $$$ from gas taxes. That is why they have a 3/4 tank law if you go to JB.

TheWhiteHorse

Alfrescian
Loyal
Might not be so much gov but the demand, anyway my bike only cost me less than $10 to fill. I believe there was a trial when POMO had two electric bike charging lots at the shopping centre in Slelegie. But apart from that, who can charge their bikes when most daily riders live in HDB?

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Might not be so much gov but the demand, anyway my bike only cost me less than $10 to fill. I believe there was a trial when POMO had two electric bike charging lots at the shopping centre in Slelegie. But apart from that, who can charge their bikes when most daily riders live in HDB?

When City Square(in Kitchener Rd) 1st opened they were calling themselves an eco mall. They had charging stations for electric vehicles.

Things don't happen in Spore unless the gets PAP involved. They control what happens in the HDB heartlands. If they can put auto gantries to collect payment, I don't see why they can't put power outlets for recharging. Air pollution is becoming a problem everywhere. The problem is that the PAP is money minded. They will never encourage a technology that is green but is not profitable.

In the US it only costs $1 to $2 to charge an electric bike. Just imagine the loss in bizness to the gas companies.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I'm sure if one looked hard enough, one will be able to find more electric bikes. Some manufactured by factories, yet some others custom built by hobbyists. I mentioned Harley here because they are a big major brand, but what is more noticeable is a departure from their traditional V-twin engine and its inherent loud thundering sound. They've had a loyal market who'd die by their attachment to Harley's iconic engine and to drift away from this crowd and go an electric bike is a very big step. I am sure there will be objections to this design within Harley-Davidson's management and design team, but I am sure they're also looking at the future. Maybe they've been watching Star Trek and witnessed the young James Kirk riding a futuristic motorcycle in the movie Enterprise and got wowed by that bike.

Unlike the internal combustion engine, the electric engine will hit top rpm almost instantaneously and has enormous torque. Quick and almost instant acceleration will be the trademark of e-engines. Top speed will depend on the gearing and power/weight ratio. In any case, for two wheels, acceleration will be more important than top speed - I wonder how many people are willing to go at above 140 kmh and maintain at those speeds, many motorbikes can easily reach 180 kmh and more. The problem is - where the fuck they want to go that fast at?

Cheers!

Harley is late to the game. Brammo started selling their electric bikes 4 years ago. Brammo only make electric bikes. So they don't have any historical baggage.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IcwiDHTADE

Their Empluse model is capable of reaching 110mph with a range of over 100 miles ...........

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Motorbikes due to their lightweight go easy on fuel and are economical travel means, especially in Asia. The market in North America is somewhat different. Cars are relatively cheap, so motorcycles are bought more for recreational reasons. A person who buys a Harley-Davidson isn't going to be concerned that much with cost per distance travelled. Image will more likely be his/her's objective. An e-bike by Harley-Davidson's customer is more likely that person's statement on environmental issues. For use in Singapore, answers and solutions are to be left to the LTA. They are paid lots to come up with solutions.

Cheers!

TheWhiteHorse

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is that the PAP is money minded. They will never encourage a technology that is green but is not profitable.

Agree, but my point being it is not so much that they don't allow but without the facilities, which they will never build, no one will buy an e bike.
Though I would love to have one of those.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I would think that the market will be determined by bigger markets like China, Japan and Singapore will follow depending on the models built for the region. In the case of motorbikes, it could be possible that the battery pack may be detachable and carried away from the vehicle and into the house/apartment to be charged at an electrical outlet. This is if the pack is small and light enough. For a motorcar, it may be larger and the vehicle has to be parked where it can be charged.

Cheers!

Agree, but my point being it is not so much that they don't allow but without the facilities, which they will never build, no one will buy an e bike.
Though I would love to have one of those.