• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Harley goes with electric engine!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I visited and stayed at my cousin's house on the Gold Coast and admit - it's the best weather of anywhere in the world. If it were my home, there's a high chance of owning a motorbike there, its the perfect place to ride, all year round. The whole of Oz would be a great romping ground for motorbiking. 'Cept, long distance two-wheeling isn't my ideal idea of riding.

Cheers!

perth weather is good for bike, seldom rain...

krafty

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i think western and northern australia is ok, btw, there are many harley bike gangs in gold coast. i think it's time i go back and join one of the gangs.:p

not really, melbourne's weather can change from winter to summer within a day.

i am planning to ride from perth to sydney in time to come...

I visited and stayed at my cousin's house on the Gold Coast and admit - it's the best weather of anywhere in the world. If it were my home, there's a high chance of owning a motorbike there, its the perfect place to ride, all year round. The whole of Oz would be a great romping ground for motorbiking. 'Cept, long distance two-wheeling isn't my ideal idea of riding.

Cheers!

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many years back, I was attracted to the Harley because of the sound. Of cos appreciation of the design/ engine comes later. But now that they are changing to a silent sound, I am not so sure. No doubt, electric engines is the future. Harley Davidson might attracted a different kind of customers.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of these "Harley gangs" especially those labeled 1% (one percenters) are classified "outlaw" bikers by local police and are likely racists siding with White Supremacists. During the sixties, the Hell's Angels' mother chapter in California were approached by a group from Japan who wanted to form a chapter (branch) in Tokyo, they were told to fuck off. This was the reason how another gang, the Mongols (also USA gang) was formed; they were hispanics and the founder was rejected by the Hell's Angels. Afro-Americans have their own Harley gang known as Green Dragons. However, if you're yellow-skinned and wish to join a white Harley gang, you may apply as a cook, you might be considered. In Oz, the largest Bikie group I think are known as the Rebels. Their emblem is the American confederate flag. My guess is they're extreme rednecks. I wonder when PRC China will have their own motorcycle gang.:biggrin:

Cheers!

i think western and northern australia is ok, btw, there are many harley bike gangs in gold coast. i think it's time i go back and join one of the gangs.:p

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're not the only one. Harley Davidson's fans mostly swear by the brand's sound. Customization of the factory models gave rise to a whole industry and many riders identify with the American style chopper. It's more suited to their huge interstate highways and would be very impractical for smaller roads with their long wheelbase. Engine sound is a very personal thing. I myself like the high pitched high revving sound of GP bikes which is different from Harley's rumble. Anyways, the electric "turbine" like sound may be the sound of the future. We're all waiting.

Cheers!

Many years back, I was attracted to the Harley because of the sound. Of cos appreciation of the design/ engine comes later. But now that they are changing to a silent sound, I am not so sure. No doubt, electric engines is the future. Harley Davidson might attracted a different kind of customers.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Harley's e-bike isn't meant for production yet. The models that are out are meant for a market survey as shown in this report. I predict they're just testing the water and see how the public responds to a quiet Harley. A new generation of bikers might find appeal in the new technology. Looks like an expensive way to test the market, but Harley can well afford it. For motorcycling, it is possible that Harley Davidson will set up a new market trend instead.

Cheers!

We rode Harley-Davidson's incredible electric motorcycle

PROJECT LIVEWIRE IS HARLEY'S (QUIET) FIRST STEP INTO THE FUTURE

By Jacob Kastrenakes on June 24, 2014 10:36 am

Outside of Harley-Davidson's Lower Manhattan store on Monday, a group of Harley enthusiasts leaned against the railing of a construction canopy, smoking cigarettes and chatting about work while they waited in line to be one of the very first people in the world to take a ride on Harley's newest motorcycle. The bike they were waiting for wasn't the latest loud, hulking monument to two-wheeled American chrome though: this was something altogether different.
Harley was introducing Project LiveWire, its first electric motorcycle, and it had brought over a dozen of them to its Manhattan store for a limited preview of the bikes before they go on tour around the US for the rest of the year, beginning today.
LiveWire is far from the type of bike that Harley enthusiast are used to. It has a single gear, a touchscreen dashboard, and no gas to speak of. Oh, and it's quiet. Really, really quiet.
At first, it was a shock," says George Pelaez, a member of the Harley Owners Group's New York City chapter. But Palaez, like many of the other HOG NYC members in attendance, found a lot to like in LiveWire, despite its striking differences. "The technology is unbelievable," he says.
Even though LiveWire won't be going on sale — Harley says that it's only looking at rider feedback at the moment — LiveWire is ready and impressive to ride. It tops out around 92 miles per hour and can get from zero to 60 in under four seconds, according to a Harley representative. For now, it isn't meant to take you all that far though: its range is around 55 miles in an economy mode and around 33 miles in a "power" mode. Charging time is about 3.5 hours.
Harley executives aren't interested in talking specs, though. They stressed that what they care about right now is getting rider feedback — including finding out who this bike is actually for. "That’s one of the most interesting things we’re gonna learn," says Harley marketing chief Mark-Hans Richer. "The breadth of this experience." This isn't a bike for most Harley traditionalists, after all, so the question may be what new, younger riders are looking for.
"It can be a totally different sound as long as it delivers those same emotional characteristics."
Richer says that LiveWire is Harley's acknowledgement that there's a growing customer interest in electric vehicles. Harley believes that there's still a lot of development needed before they’ll take off, and presumably, Harley thinks it can help electric motorcycles do just that.
But Harley's challenge isn't just technical: it's emotional. It's recreating the feel of a grumbling V-twin engine and all the power that comes with controlling one. LiveWire certainly gives its drivers plenty of control — riders were calling it agile, sporty, nimble — but its sound is something very different.
LiveWire is nearly impossible to hear when out among New York City traffic. When revved indoors, however, it lets off a high-pitched whine that sounds more like an oversized vacuum than a vehicle.

For the rest of the report, here's the link:

http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/24/5...ire-harley-davidson-first-electric-motorcycle