• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Happy Birthday You Old Coot

Faidenk

Alfrescian
Loyal
An interesting piece, although very belated, by Phnom Penh Post's Roger Mitton.

The article in its entirety here.

Last week, Singapore’s post-independence hero, Lee Kuan Yew, marked his 90th birthday.

He has led an amazing life, and though a ruthless old curmudgeon, he has always been among the most rewarding interview subjects.
After our first joust in 1991, I attended Singapore’s National Day reception and saw him standing alone in a corner ringed by security men.
Taking a deep breath, I strolled over and thanked him for the interview. It had been a good one and Asiaweek had run it as the cover story.
Lee’s eyes narrowed and he gave me a long glacial gaze. To break the silence, I blurted out that I hoped he’d been happy with the story.
He pounced. “Oh? Is that important? Does it matter whether I am happy or unhappy with it?”
If only words would have come, earthy expletives preferably; but I was flummoxed, my mind swirling.
“Remind me, what interview was this?” he said.
His wife, a proverbial dragon lady, whom he described as “an intellectual equal” and “soulmate”, thankfully moved forward at that moment and I introduced myself to her.
She said: “You are in a difficult position as a journalist in Singapore, Mr Mitton. If you tell the truth you will get into trouble from my husband, if you don’t tell the truth you will get sacked by your editor.”
Lee cracked a sliver of a smile as if the oracle had spoken, then they turned away, dismissing me like a speck of dust brushed off a sleeve.
The dismissal turned out to be not only from their presence that evening, but from Singapore itself; for soon afterwards, the authorities refused to renew my visa, forcing me to leave the country.
Still, other interviews were later granted, and in a final long and fruitful session that revolved around the publication of his memoirs, Lee kindly signed a copy of his book for me.
On the title page, he wrote: “To Roger Mitton, with my best answers to your spiky questions. Lee Kuan Yew.” Ya gotta like the guy.
His dragon lady died three years ago and now he is 90 and knocking on heaven’s door. Let’s hope he goes quickly and painlessly, though that is not the way he treated his opponents.
They were many and all were cruelly dispatched: his rival People’s Action Party leader Ong Eng Guan, his country’s former president Devan Nair, its former solicitor general Francis Seow, and myriad pesky journalists.
None, however, suffered more brutal and malicious torture than the opposition Workers’ Party leader, Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam.
Lee loathed him because JBJ was fearless and refused to be cowed by the PM’s thuggery, and because he broke the stranglehold of Lee’s PAP and won the 1981 Anson by-election.
That result was a thunderbolt; it marked the first time since independence that one of Lee’s men had lost an election.
Once in parliament, where it was him against 74 government MPs, Jeyaretnam gave them hell. Lee and his front bench could not take it.
Grounds were found to charge JBJ with misreporting party accounts. He was convicted, jailed, deprived of his seat and disbarred from practising law.
Undaunted, he appealed to the Privy Council in England, as he was then entitled to do, and his conviction was quashed.
The Law Lords ruled that he and a party colleague had “suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty”.
The ruling did not faze Lee. He quickly abolished the right of appeal to the Privy Council and JBJ was gone.
Soon afterwards, so was I. But not before taking Jeyaretnam to lunch at that bastion of the establishment, the Singapore Cricket Club.
Boy, did that feel good. And anyway, I’d done three years as a foreign correspondent in Singapore; it was long enough.
JBJ died in 2008. And Time’s winged chariot is hurrying upon Lee. But for now: Happy Birthday, you vicious old coot. I mean it.

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
with wealth and power come ability to squash cockroach under your boot. some dreamer think they can win election and everything will be fine. pap transcend military, police, judiciary, civil service, even when they lost the popular vote , there are means for them to win.

chonburifc

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
An interesting piece, although very belated, by Phnom Penh Post's Roger Mitton.

The article in its entirety here.

Last week, Singapore’s post-independence hero, Lee Kuan Yew, marked his 90th birthday.

He has led an amazing life, and though a ruthless old curmudgeon, he has always been among the most rewarding interview subjects.
After our first joust in 1991, I attended Singapore’s National Day reception and saw him standing alone in a corner ringed by security men.
Taking a deep breath, I strolled over and thanked him for the interview. It had been a good one and Asiaweek had run it as the cover story.
Lee’s eyes narrowed and he gave me a long glacial gaze. To break the silence, I blurted out that I hoped he’d been happy with the story.
He pounced. “Oh? Is that important? Does it matter whether I am happy or unhappy with it?”
If only words would have come, earthy expletives preferably; but I was flummoxed, my mind swirling.
“Remind me, what interview was this?” he said.
His wife, a proverbial dragon lady, whom he described as “an intellectual equal” and “soulmate”, thankfully moved forward at that moment and I introduced myself to her.
She said: “You are in a difficult position as a journalist in Singapore, Mr Mitton. If you tell the truth you will get into trouble from my husband, if you don’t tell the truth you will get sacked by your editor.”
Lee cracked a sliver of a smile as if the oracle had spoken, then they turned away, dismissing me like a speck of dust brushed off a sleeve.
The dismissal turned out to be not only from their presence that evening, but from Singapore itself; for soon afterwards, the authorities refused to renew my visa, forcing me to leave the country.
Still, other interviews were later granted, and in a final long and fruitful session that revolved around the publication of his memoirs, Lee kindly signed a copy of his book for me.
On the title page, he wrote: “To Roger Mitton, with my best answers to your spiky questions. Lee Kuan Yew.” Ya gotta like the guy.
His dragon lady died three years ago and now he is 90 and knocking on heaven’s door. Let’s hope he goes quickly and painlessly, though that is not the way he treated his opponents.
They were many and all were cruelly dispatched: his rival People’s Action Party leader Ong Eng Guan, his country’s former president Devan Nair, its former solicitor general Francis Seow, and myriad pesky journalists.
None, however, suffered more brutal and malicious torture than the opposition Workers’ Party leader, Joshua Benjamin Jeyaretnam.
Lee loathed him because JBJ was fearless and refused to be cowed by the PM’s thuggery, and because he broke the stranglehold of Lee’s PAP and won the 1981 Anson by-election.
That result was a thunderbolt; it marked the first time since independence that one of Lee’s men had lost an election.
Once in parliament, where it was him against 74 government MPs, Jeyaretnam gave them hell. Lee and his front bench could not take it.
Grounds were found to charge JBJ with misreporting party accounts. He was convicted, jailed, deprived of his seat and disbarred from practising law.
Undaunted, he appealed to the Privy Council in England, as he was then entitled to do, and his conviction was quashed.
The Law Lords ruled that he and a party colleague had “suffered a grievous injustice. They have been fined, imprisoned and publicly disgraced for offences of which they are not guilty”.
The ruling did not faze Lee. He quickly abolished the right of appeal to the Privy Council and JBJ was gone.
Soon afterwards, so was I. But not before taking Jeyaretnam to lunch at that bastion of the establishment, the Singapore Cricket Club.
Boy, did that feel good. And anyway, I’d done three years as a foreign correspondent in Singapore; it was long enough.
JBJ died in 2008. And Time’s winged chariot is hurrying upon Lee. But for now: Happy Birthday, you vicious old coot. I mean it.
Bro, a good article. Old fuck has being using fear as weapon against those who are not with old fuck.

escher

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Not to worry.

The joke is on that smear of shit on sole of shoe LKY himself.

With the billions he stole and raped from SIngaporeans, he painted multitudes of bullseye on his ah qua Ah Loonie, and his entire family and gecko family.

LKY needed vicious liars greedy bastards with no moral compasses that can tolerate him for the millions

But they know they can get BILLIONS once LKY go under the ghouls and demons with their pricks like cactus and porcupines
LKY will be given the same kind of mercy as what he shown to others

And once he go , all the hoodlums he gathered will take out their knives and HOOT HOOOT that ah qua Loonie

ha ha ha ha ha!

singveld

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
opposition just full of hot air and no ability.

even if they win power, they will quickly lose it in the next election. why?

they said they going to protect singapore jobs? How? just hot air, if they close the flood gate to FT, all the multinational and small firm will tell them, if you do that, we will move to other countries. What do you think opposition will do?
if the FT leaves, singaporean will also lose the jobs once all the companies left.

so jobless singaporean will vote for them ever again?

thankfully, opposition never going to win any election in singapore, that i am quite sure of. PAP sucks, but at least they are competent. opposition just talk only, basically literally hot air.

welfare for the poor, it just raise the inflation for the rest of us, in the end. everything will get even more expensive, that in turn harm the poor.

winnipegjets

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
opposition just full of hot air and no ability.

You still believe in the crap that the PAP has the monopoly of talents? Even the PAP Press doesn't believe that.

even if they win power, they will quickly lose it in the next election. why?
When they win, the PAP crooks will be flying out asap. Do you know the reasons?

they said they going to protect singapore jobs? How? just hot air, if they close the flood gate to FT, all the multinational and small firm will tell them, if you do that, we will move to other countries. What do you think opposition will do?
if the FT leaves, singaporean will also lose the jobs once all the companies left.

Firstly, most of the foreigners here are NOT talents.
Secondly, there are too few jobs and too many foreigners.
Thirdly, we can never win in a competition based on low cost. That's a strategy for poor countries, not for developed ones.

so jobless singaporean will vote for them ever again?
What jobless sinkees when the jobs occupied by foreigners are returned to sinkees?

thankfully, opposition never going to win any election in singapore, that i am quite sure of. PAP sucks, but at least they are competent. opposition just talk only, basically literally hot air.

PAP competent? Do you know how many hundreds of billions of our reserves have been lost? You call Ms Vivian competent? You call Mah Bow Tan competent? Alamak, wake up lah.

welfare for the poor, it just raise the inflation for the rest of us, in the end. everything will get even more expensive, that in turn harm the poor.
What bs is that? Our inflation is high because of the influx of foreigners. Take them away, our inflation will come down. Welfare for the poor is just stimulating the economy.

Last edited: