• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Guess where is this place? Super Old photo!

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sounds like you come from a well to do family?

Parent must be working for British, the masters of invasions, lootings and colonization.

Nah! nothing to do with the white master's.....we were hard working people who worked with our hands, 'looting' off the ang moh's... ha ha ha

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I saw my first train set, it was in the display window at Robinsons. We were dead poor at the time. All we could do was window shop. My dad didn't even bother taking me inside. He said the store was for the rich and the white not for us.

However, I saved up enough money while I was in secondary school and pre-U giving tuition to the sons of rich kids and I bought a simple oval layout and one engine when I was 19.

As the money grew in quantity thanks to LKY, so too did my track layout and by the time I had it to the way I wanted it, it had grown threefold.

Still nothing to do with LKY, Robinson's was there already....you live your own dream & worked hard with your hands to buy that train set... I had not work , long & hard at it to afford that train set, but still dream of it... ha ha ha , but could afford to buy that James Bond Aston Martin car from Matchbox or that Revell F4 Phantom kit & bought a small Lego set...working hard for it...still no train set....what has it got to do with LKY...??

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The air at that time must be very clean, no cars... no haze, unlike now.

Technology use by sinkified people gives problems, go back to the caveman, pls.

it was very bad at that time because emission standards were low, fuel was nasty, there were no catalytic converters, and cars and buses pollute the streets like a chain smoker on steroids. longkangs were clogged with trash and wastes, streets were filthy and full of trash, and the smell was so bad it could make you puke. moreover, vege was cheaper than meat, and more folks ate larger portions of vege than meat. it caused gas buildup in the tummy, and folks were farting all over, contributing to air pollution. :*: :p

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Still nothing to do with LKY, Robinson's was there already....you live your own dream & worked hard with your hands to buy that train set... I had not work , long & hard at it to afford that train set, but still dream of it... ha ha ha , but could afford to buy that James Bond Aston Martin car from Matchbox or that Revell F4 Phantom kit & bought a small Lego set...working hard for it...still no train set....what has it got to do with LKY...??

LKY brought opportunity and hope. Without LKY, there would have been no MNCs to hire me and send me overseas for an eye opening experience that changed my life.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
it was very bad at that time because emission standards were low, fuel was nasty, there were no catalytic converters, and cars and buses pollute the streets like a chain smoker on steroids. longkangs were clogged with trash and wastes, streets were filthy and full of trash, and the smell was so bad it could make you puke. moreover, vege was cheaper than meat, and more folks ate larger portions of vege than meat. it caused gas buildup in the tummy, and folks were farting all over, contributing to air pollution. :*: :p

You mean the rear must backfiring all over the place?? It was common those days for buses, taxis, lorries, motorcycles & some very old cars to belch dark smoke from their exhaust....if you 'fortunate' to stand behind one that does that....the bad ones will douse you with soot...despite all the mess....life was simple...the government WORKED for the people & they were really affordable!! Had they sold the people, there will riots, burning & even death, people back then, had "BALLS"....not like now!

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
288qoh1.png

lianbeng replies: Raffles Square lah! :biggrin: photo already printed liao!

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You mean the rear must backfiring all over the place?? It was common those days for buses, taxis, lorries, motorcycles & some very old cars to belch dark smoke from their exhaust....if you 'fortunate' to stand behind one that does that....the bad ones will douse you with soot...despite all the mess....life was simple...the government WORKED for the people & they were really affordable!! Had they sold the people, there will riots, burning & even death, people back then, had "BALLS"....not like now!

sinkies still have balls, albeit smaller, and all testosterone and sperm production gets mined in the deep loving caverns of prc hookers. :p

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
sinkies still have balls, albeit smaller, and all testosterone and sperm production gets mined in the deep loving caverns of prc hookers. :p

You forgot to add the other caverns, like the Adobes, the Pho's....& next & coming soon...the Irrawady's....ha ha ha & the old mines of "jiu hu char bp" & those "minahs from medna"...ha ha ha ha

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
lianbeng replies: Raffles Square lah! :biggrin: photo already printed liao!

Back then, when bullock cart was the transport of the day...it was Raffles Square & that house next to P.S. was government house...later it became Square & Istana...back then it was BUS DRIVER..now he is your CAPTAIN...

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Back then, when bullock cart was the transport of the day...it was Raffles Square & that house next to P.S. was government house...later it became Square & Istana...back then it was BUS DRIVER..now he is your CAPTAIN...

A good time to rehash this :

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/765827/posts

[SIZE=+1]HOW DID WE SURVIVE?[/SIZE]
<small style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times;">e-mail | Unkown </small>
<small>Posted on 10/10/2002 3:34:56 AM by Andy from Beaverton</small>
HOW DID WE SURVIVE?

Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have:

As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a
special treat.

Our baby cribs were painted with bright colored lead based paint, we often
chewed on the crib, ingesting the paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets,

When we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes... after running into the
bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

We played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would really hurt.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda, but we were never
over weight; we were always outside playing.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were
held back to repeat the same grade.

That generation produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem
solvers.

We had the freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
how to deal with it all.

jubilee1919

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
A good time to rehash this :

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/765827/posts

[SIZE=+1]HOW DID WE SURVIVE?[/SIZE]
<small style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times;">e-mail | Unkown </small>
<small>Posted on 10/10/2002 3:34:56 AM by Andy from Beaverton</small>
HOW DID WE SURVIVE?

Looking back, it's hard to believe that we have lived as long as we have:

As children we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pickup truck on a warm day was always a
special treat.

Our baby cribs were painted with bright colored lead based paint, we often
chewed on the crib, ingesting the paint.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors, or cabinets,

When we rode our bikes we had no helmets.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down
the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes... after running into the
bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day.

We played dodgeball and sometimes the ball would really hurt.

We ate cupcakes, bread and butter, and drank sugar soda, but we were never
over weight; we were always outside playing.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who
didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Some students weren't as smart as others so they failed a grade and were
held back to repeat the same grade.

That generation produced some of the greatest risk-takers and problem
solvers.

We had the freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
how to deal with it all.

Sam,

Thanks for the memories of walking home in the dark after pasar malam as streets had no lamps, avoiding puddles of water we came across. Allowing the Indian herding his cows into the garden to crop the grass and leaving behind their droppings to fertilise the plants. Of burning our rubbish in the backyard and climbing trees and making our own catapults for killing birds and bats. Gone were those evenings of sitting on the garden bench with friends, strumming a guitar accompanying our singing while waiting for the porridge vendor who usually comes at about 10 pm.:cool:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The "modern" era of Chinese history began with the collapse of the Chinq Dynastry and the establishment of the Republic of China under Sun Yat Sen, Prior to this China was ruled by dynastic style medieval imperialistic emperors and except for a certain naval admiral, very inward-looking and ethnocentric. Developments in the rest of the world leading to the occupation of China and its eventual collapse forced China to change and is where it is today because of those changes.

Cheers!

......................... the Second Opium War (1856–60).[5] The war is now considered in China as the beginning of modern Chinese history.[6][7]

lianbeng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

lianbeng asked: u mean that was where the Istana is standing now back then?:biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The air (and overall environment) was cleaner then because of low density of population. Motors and engines then were less efficient and emitted more pollutants. But the flue dissipated into the vast atmosphere and the inhabitants weren't affected by it. It is a very different situation now. There are no caves in Singapore for blokes to go back to. If there were, they'd be bloody expensive.

Cheers!

The air at that time must be very clean, no cars... no haze, unlike now.

Technology use by sinkified people gives problems, go back to the caveman, pls.

MajullahSingapura

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When I saw my first train set, it was in the display window at Robinsons. We were dead poor at the time. All we could do was window shop. My dad didn't even bother taking me inside. He said the store was for the rich and the white not for us.

However, I saved up enough money while I was in secondary school and pre-U giving tuition to the sons of rich kids and I bought a simple oval layout and one engine when I was 19.

As the money grew in quantity thanks to LKY, so too did my track layout and by the time I had it to the way I wanted it, it had grown threefold.

MAJULLAH Singapura indeed....:biggrin:

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
I remember when we bought chicken from the market back then, it was a live fowl, with feathers and still breathing when brought home to be slaughtered. Nowadays, they come in cleaned selected parts (eg. wings, thighs, breasts). I was primary five when I had to assist killing the animal. Would like to see my nephews carry this out today.

Cheers!

................. people back then, had "BALLS"....not like now!