• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Guess most hawkers stalls will be managed by TIONGS in 10 to 20 years from now

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
As more and more sinkie children who are not keen to take over the biz

that their parents set up

my favourite famous whampoa food centre corner fish steam boat soap as another example

I was shocked when I went last week, all the aunty and auncle no longer there

later I found out that they sold to the TIONGS

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
you mean in 10 to 20 years, you are still stuck in sinkieland??.. you better do some soul searching.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Things started to go the way of Ah Tiongs when Singaporeans preferred Yu Tiao to Eu Char Kwey and Yin Tun Mein to Wanton mee. At the local food courts, I still order my food and drinks in Hokien and refuse to speak Mandarin, cause mostly I can't. Our children won't know the difference, they prefer their eats at McDonald's, Pizza Hut, and Subway. You pick your choice, Singlish, or Mandarin.

BTW, how do you say Roti Prata in Mandarin, soon you'd have to.

Cheers!

rambo22

Alfrescian
Loyal
1 thing i like about ATB is they are normally very generous with the rice serving

same as when u bed them

service gao gao

Last edited:

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
As more and more sinkie children who are not keen to take over the biz

that their parents set up

my favourite famous whampoa food centre corner fish steam boat soap as another example

I was shocked when I went last week, all the aunty and auncle no longer there

later I found out that they sold to the TIONGS

This is a good example of the positive outcome of allowing an influx of enterprising migrants.

If it was not for the tiongs, the stall would have closed down and Auntie and Uncle would have nothing to show for their years of hard work. However, the demand for hawker stalls from recent arrivals meant that they could actually cash out rather than simply close down.

However, the Tiongs don't have exclusive right to purchase hawker stalls. Anyone can make an offer sinkies included. You could have bought the stall if you wanted to and turned it into an even more profitable business.

Sinkies only have themselves to blame if they remain passive consumers of hawker fare instead of actively promoting local ownership by putting their money where their mouths are.

Shaven

Alfrescian
Loyal
I seldom eat in hawker nowadays, if i want a truly local flavour I go to JB and jiak my fav char kway teow,

firmerterra

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nothing new , the younger generation prefer the offices and paper work. It's the values that are imbued, I do not know what I will choose if my parents are hawkers and ask me to take over.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Nothing new , the younger generation prefer the offices and paper work. It's the values that are imbued, I do not know what I will choose if my parents are hawkers and ask me to take over.

You cannot then blame foreigners if they end up being wealthier and more successful than Sinkies. A well patronised hawker stall is a gold mine and profits per day can be more than a whole month's salary of an office worker.

However, it is hard work. The hours are long and it can be hot and uncomfortable. No cosy office air conditioning and a nice soft chair. That is the very reason why foreigners are needed. They are willing to put up with a lot more hardship in order to reap the rewards. Sinkies need spurs stuck in their hides or they'll soon be extinct.

CheeByeKiaTonyChat

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies need spurs stuck in their hides or they'll soon be extinct.

Your best friend that got killed by taxi driver while cycling. Why no spurs stuck in his hide? Why never study smarter or work harder to afford a car? Why never peddle faster and harder to avoid the collision? :rolleyes:

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
Your best friend that got killed by taxi driver while cycling. Why no spurs stuck in his hide? Why never study smarter or work harder to afford a car? Why never peddle faster and harder to avoid the collision? :rolleyes:

Fuck him. He deserved to die. My only regret was that he wasn't killed a lot earlier.