• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Grace Fu asks Sylvia Lim to apologise, withdraw comment on GST hike

Kuailan

Alfrescian
Loyal
It's called ParLeement debate if Opposition doesn't oppose every thing must follow Papaya Yes Sir!! Yes Mdm!! might as well don't debate !

Follow all the brainless and clueless men in white everything also Yes SIr!! Yes Mdm !! Or else I sue you for defamation!! This recent saga Disgraceful & Gang asking Oppie to apologize is like a class room Bullying!!

This brainless & clueless guy called John another Yes Sir!! man!!

Brainless John quote: I hope Sylvia doesn't apologize. This would give the good PAP government the perfect chance to jail and fine her.

Talking thru his broken or torn ass!~!

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sylvia Lim does not apologise; Grace Fu disappointed

While admitting yesterday that her suspicion on the timing of the goods and services tax (GST) hike "may have been wrong", Ms Sylvia Lim refused to withdraw and apologise for her statements in Parliament.

The Workers' Party (WP) chairman maintained that she was doing her duty as an MP.

This followed repeated calls from the People's Action Party MPs over the last week for her to apologise, with Leader of the House Grace Fu saying that Ms Lim had accused the Government of being "untruthful".

Said Ms Lim yesterday: "I did not accuse the Government of being untruthful as alleged, and neither had I intended to accuse the Government of dishonesty.

"I do not accept the over-characterisation the PAP MPs have put on my words and intentions based on their own interpretation borne out of overactive imaginations and oversensitivity."

Ms Fu replied she was disappointed with Ms Lim's "deplorable" conduct, as the facts had been explained to her clearly.

She said she was putting Ms Lim on notice, as her behaviour "falls short of the standard of integrity and honour expected of all members", and she would be referred to the committee of privileges should she repeat "such dishonourable conduct and abuse parliamentary privilege".

"It reflects the low standards which the member and her party have set for themselves with regard to commitment to truthful and honest debate in Parliament," Ms Fu added.

SPECULATION
Ms Lim said the Government had previously announced that it had enough money to last the decade, but speculation of an imminent GST hike started swirling in the lead-up to the Budget this year.

Citing media reports and economists who predicted the GST would go up either this year or the next, she said this gave rise to her suspicion that "test balloons" were being floated by the Government to raise GST immediately. But this was then postponed because of the public's negative reaction.

"Hence, I admit that I did suspect that the Government intended to raise the GST.

"However, the Government contributed to this suspicion by its non-denial of reports and economists' predictions of an immediate GST rise."

Commenting on the issue, political observer Eugene Tan said Ms Lim had made a reasonable and robust argument that she had not abused parliamentary privilege.

Said the Singapore Management University law academic, who served as a Nominated MP (NMP) from 2012 to 2014: "Ms Lim stuck to her guns. If I were in her shoes and if I felt that I had the basis for making a certain allegation or raising a concern or suspicion, I would of course have gone on record.

"I would not have apologised for and withdrawn those remarks either."

Reflecting on his time as an NMP, Prof Tan said: "I was conscious that parliamentary privilege empowered MPs to take part in the debates without fear or favour, but the privilege had to be exercised responsibly.

"There may be occasions when MPs were not able to verify or substantiate their remarks, but if we thought there was a reasonable basis for saying so, we did so and set out the basis for our opinions.

"No MP should be afraid to articulate such views."

Noting that WP Non-Constituency MP Leon Perera was also asked to apologise for a comment he made in January this year, Prof Tan said PAP MPs could have been "carefully scrutinising WP MPs' speeches", and he expects debates to be more robust going forward.

Political observer Mustafa Izzuddin said he does not see this issue going further, but it does lay down expectations for future debates.

"It shows that MPs from both sides, be it PAP or WP, need to up their game and make sure what they say is grounded in facts. They need to be able to present counter arguments and defend what they are saying robustly," he said.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
my uncle say KNN grace fool want to hung people now ownself teo hung. he say now she must be thinking KNN earlier i know i don't ask for say sorry.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
The best part was when Sylvia quoted PM Lee's speech during the Oxley Road saga. The legal eagles in the Government's camp knew the enemy had just delivered the coup de grâce, so the minister who created this mountain out of a molehill decided to take cover in the foxhole and poor Grace was thrown under the bus by her litigator colleagues.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
want to be seat warmer pm must show off skills in fixing opponents mah. otherwise machiam like church mouse cannot make it to short short list. expect more vocal gymnastics on the way.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Decisions are made in secret. And you expect people to have basis for suspicions?

So does PAP have any basis when they accuse North Korea of having nefarious intentions?

PAP really cannot make it liao.

So obvious they are losing big money everyday.

Run while you can.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
want to be seat warmer pm must show off skills in fixing opponents mah. otherwise machiam like church mouse cannot make it to short short list. expect more vocal gymnastics on the way.
ah heng was way short, short of expectations whilst sticking to his guns and repeating himself like an old, broken record to elicit an apology and reading from his notes - viv-a-vis what sylvia had already replied numerous times, throwing up her hand in despair at one point. he doesn't have the thrust and parry skills (and i don't think even kee-chiu or oyk has) with the astuteness and adriotness that is reqd of a future pm to handle these situations, and lacks a good head on his shoulders for a good repartee.

Bonut

Alfrescian
Loyal
ah heng was way short, short of expectations whilst sticking to his guns and repeating himself like an old, broken record to elicit an apology and reading from his notes - viv-a-vis what sylvia had already replied numerous times, throwing up her hand in despair at one point. he doesn't have the thrust and parry skills (and i don't think even kee-chiu or oyk has) with the astuteness and adriotness that is reqd of a future pm to handle these situations, and lacks a good head on his shoulders for a good repartee.
You would expect the SCs in their ranks to showcase their cut and thrust verbal skills that catapult them to the pinnacle of their law careers. After all, the case against Sylvia was built on the interpretation of the word suspicion by one SC seated right in front.

Semaj2357

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You would expect the SCs in their ranks to showcase their cut and thrust verbal skills that catapult them to the pinnacle of their law careers. After all, the case against Sylvia was built on the interpretation of the word suspicion by one SC seated right in front.
yup, the sc tried but was ineffectual and also way "off-the-cuff" as no apology (nor fuck) was given :rolleyes:

KuanTi01

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The 3 super-paid jiakliaobee ministers should be the ones apologising to the people of Singapore for wasting time and money asking Sylvia Lim for an apology that was never going to happen.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope Sylvia doesn't apologize. This would give the good PAP government the perfect chance to jail and fine her.

Unlike the clown above, apparent PAP stooge Eugene Tan finally has the guts to speak the truth!

Commenting on the issue(TNP 9/3), political observer Eugene Tan said Ms Lim had not abused parliamentary privilege and had made "a reasonable robust argument....Ms Lim stuck to her guns. If I were in her shoes and if I felt that I had a basis for making a certain allegation or raising a concern or suspicion, I would of course have gone on record....I would not have apologised for and withdrawn those remarks either....I was conscious that parliamentary privilege empowered MPs to take part in the debates without fear or favour, but the privilege had to be exercised responsibly....There may be occasions when MPs were not able to verify or substantiate their remarks, but if we thought there was a reasonable basis for saying so, we did and set out the basis for our opinions.....No MP should be afraid to articulate such views."

Patriot

Alfrescian
Loyal
The PAP Ministers were employing their usual tactics of intimidation & bullying of the minority WP MPs by virtue of their superior numbers & power.

What difference are such tactics from the gangsters?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Surprised by who made the comment. Yes, that is indeed what should be expected of every MP in Parliament.

Unlike the clown above, apparent PAP stooge Eugene Tan finally has the guts to speak the truth!

Commenting on the issue(TNP 9/3), political observer Eugene Tan said Ms Lim had not abused parliamentary privilege and had made "a reasonable robust argument....Ms Lim stuck to her guns. If I were in her shoes and if I felt that I had a basis for making a certain allegation or raising a concern or suspicion, I would of course have gone on record....I would not have apologised for and withdrawn those remarks either....I was conscious that parliamentary privilege empowered MPs to take part in the debates without fear or favour, but the privilege had to be exercised responsibly....There may be occasions when MPs were not able to verify or substantiate their remarks, but if we thought there was a reasonable basis for saying so, we did and set out the basis for our opinions.....No MP should be afraid to articulate such views."

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

must get raiders and papsmear into parleement to do the “thrust” and panty-rip with great beauties inside. must turn a lioness vs. hyena serengetti spectacle to a taiwanese tiger show. more fun for sinkies. otherwise ultra boring and more sinkies will jump from flats.

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
Heng SK is an idiot lah. What Budget is done with great "care". Rubbish lah. PAP wanted to raise GST this year. That was the intent all along. But because of what Tharman had said they had to back track. The events that happened show this clearly.

Heng SK rubbish answer about how no word from Finance ministry was made because of fear of moving markets is RUBBISH! If you really have no intention to raise GST this year then DON'T talk about it at the PAP convention. Second if news sources are speculating come out and refute right away. AFTER ALL....you say ALL ALONG you have no intention to raise GST this year what. That would be what a GOOD smart gahment would do if they TRULY HAD NO INTENTION TO RAISE GST THIS YEAR!!! They gave themselves away. LTK know this too but he dowan to escalate the issue cos what for?

So stupid. They themselves are guilty so all the slips etc. Heng is an honest guy lah. That's why he is so bad at lying. Can see it is hurting him to have to lie about the GST rise and say Budget is a serious matter and all that. Probably and I say probably because the ones who should come out and admit are the cabinet - they thought about raising GST this year but then backed down.

I mean what is so wrong with that? Just say we listened to the people lah.

Unless lose so much money until now really very jia lat? That why have to cook up other ways eg raise MRT fare, ask insurance to work together have 5% tax on private healthcare?

Last edited:

Wunderfool

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Heng SK is an idiot lah. What Budget is done with great "care". Rubbish lah. PAP wanted to raise GST this year. That was the intent all along. But because of what Tharman had said they had to back track. The events that happened show this clearly.

Heng SK rubbish answer about how no word from Finance ministry was made because of fear of moving markets is RUBBISH! If you really have no intention to raise GST this year then DON'T talk about it at the PAP convention. Second if news sources are speculating come out and refute right away. AFTER ALL....you say ALL ALONG you have no intention to raise GST this year what. That would be what a GOOD smart gahment would do if they TRULY HAD NO INTENTION TO RAISE GST THIS YEAR!!! They gave themselves away. LTK know this too but he dowan to escalate the issue cos what for?

So stupid. They themselves are guilty so all the slips etc. Heng is an honest guy lah. That's why he is so bad at lying. Can see it is hurting him to have to lie about the GST rise and say Budget is a serious matter and all that. Probably and I say probably because the ones who should come out and admit are the cabinet - they thought about raising GST this year but then backed down.

I mean what is so wrong with that? Just say we listened to the people lah.

Unless lose so much money until now really very jia lat? That why have to cook up other ways eg raise MRT fare, ask insurance to work together have 5% tax on private healthcare?

The harder they try to force Sylvia Lim to issue an apology , the more the suspicion around the 'mystery' of the GST. The best approach is to tell Sylvia that she has got it wrong. That the G has been mulling over the GST implementation and they have signalled this to the media but has considered to make the announcement more palatable to Singaporeans by giving advance notice of the GST hike in the near future.

Clarification is the best form of attack. It shows that the Opps does not know the facts. It also shows that the PAP is magnanimous towards the Opps giving them the benefit of the doubt and presumed good intention on their side.

Last edited:

nayr69sg

Super Moderator
Staff member
SuperMod
The harder they try to force Sylvia Lim to issue an apology , the more the suspicion around the 'mystery' of the GST. The best approach is to tell Sylvia that she has got it wrong. That the G has been mulling over the GST implementation and they have signalled this to the media but has considered to make the announcement more palatable to Singaporeans by giving advance notice of the GST hike in the near future.

Clarification is the best form of attack. It shows that the Opps does not know the facts. It also shows that the PAP is magnanimous towards the Opps giving them the benefit of the doubt and presumed good intention on their side.

I agree with you. There was no need to bully out an apology. Usually people who do that do so because of the need to use the apology to hide their wrongdoings.

It is like the guy who keep saying "I am not the type to cheat people one. I don't cheat people. I am not a cheat"

Look.....nobody says such things unless they DO CHEAT PEOPLE or have thoughts of cheating people. Normal people just won't talk about such things if they have no such thoughts.

bobby

Alfrescian
Loyal
How come no one from gahmen apologise to us for a non elected minority raced lacking in intelligence Prez?