• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Good and bad cooking oil

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
6 Healthiest Cooking Oils

I often get asked which are the healthiest cooking oils for a vegetarian or vegan. I have been outspoken about not using canola, vegetable soybean oil (You can read more about this in my post 5 Cooking Oils You Think Are Healthy…But Aren’t. Make sure you sign up for my email list to get updates). I know many vegans have grown accustomed to using canola or earth balance as their staple oil, so this is a list of oils that are healthy and useful for vegetarian or vegan cooking. Not all of the oils are vegan, but there are some vegan choices on the list.

Some of you may be surprised to find animal fats like ghee on a list of the healthiest cooking oils. We’ve been taught to fear saturated fats like butter for so long that it can be hard to look seriously at all the evidence that says that saturated fats are not something to fear. However, the amount of evidence that links saturated fats and cholesterol to heart disease is slim to none. Unfortunatley, the medical world is slow to come around to this evidence and continue to prescribe unhealthy and ineffective low-fat diets and cholesterol lowering drugs to those with heart disease. Watch this video to get a better understanding of this issue. Even world renowned heart surgeon Dr. Dwight Lundell has spoken out against the vilification of saturated fats:

Animal fats contain less than 20% omega-6 and are much less likely to cause inflammation than the supposedly healthy oils labelled polyunsaturated. Forget the “science” that has been drummed into your head for decades. The science that saturated fat alone causes heart disease is non-existent. The science that saturated fat raises blood cholesterol is also very weak. Since we now know that cholesterol is not the cause of heart disease, the concern about saturated fat is even more absurd today.” - Dr. Dwight Lundell, MD Cardiologist (source)

To put it simply, the evidence that links heart disease to inflammation caused by processed foods like white flour, white sugar and chemical additives is much stronger.

Dr. Lundell goes on to explain:

What you can do is choose whole foods your grandmother served and not those your mom turned to as grocery store aisles filled with manufactured foods. By eliminating inflammatory foods and adding essential nutrients from fresh unprocessed food, you will reverse years of damage in your arteries and throughout your body from consuming the typical American diet.”

This is why I am an advocate of traditional food. Traditional foods are precisely the ones that your great-grandmother served before most families’ pantries filled up with fake industrialized foods.

The following list will present 6 of the healthiest cooking oils. I’ll also list the smoke point of each oil, which is the highest temperature that an oil can be heated before becoming dangerous (oxidized or carcinogenic). Knowing the smoke point of each oil will help you determine whether to use it in low or high temperature cooking.

1. Ghee (Clarified Butter)

IMG_1857-800x533.jpg

Ghee is probably my favorite cooking oil. It was traditionally used in India for ayurvedic cooking. I use it the most because it has wonderful health benefits (only if you get grassfed ghee) and has a rather high smoke point. “ghee is rich in the fat soluble vitamins A, D, and K2. It is also rich in CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) — the essential fatty acid found almost exclusively in grass-fed animals which is now believed to protect against cancer, heart disease, and type II diabetes.” (source)

Because the milk solids have been removed from ghee, this means that casein and lactose, the elements in dairy that many people are sensitive to, have been removed. Often, those with dairy sensitivities can tolerate ghee (consult a doctor before trying). The removal of the milk solids also allows you to use ghee at a higher temperature (up to 485°).

I use ghee for any cooking in a skillet like stir frys, scrambled eggs, sauteed veggies, etc.

2. Coconut oil

IMG_1845-800x533.jpg

Not only does coconut have a wonderful flavor that goes great with any sweet baked good or even some savory dishes (especially thai food) it also has wonderful health benefits. Sometimes cooking with this oil brings a coconutty flavor to the dish, but I have used it successfully in many dishes with other dominant flavors that mask the coconut flavor. Coconut oil has been said to aid in weight loss, support heart health, boost metabolism and benefit skin (source). For a great resource on repairing metabolism naturally check out one of my favorite books on the subject The Nourished Metabolism.

Raw virgin coconut oil is best used in low temperature cooking or baking. Refined coconut oil has a higher smoke point and less of a coconut flavor, but has less health benefits than raw coconut oil. Refined coconut oil is still a good option for occasional high heat cooking like frying. When looking for coconut oil make sure that it is not hydrogenated or treated with hexane.

Smoke point: Virgin, raw or unrefined 280°-365°, Refined 400°-450°

3. Olive oil

IMG_1851-800x533.jpg

Olive oil is a heart healthy fat that that contains beneficial antioxidants and has also been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. It is best used for cold food (like salad dressing or drizzling over foods), but can be used in some low-heat cooking.

Unfortunatley, it has been discovered that some unsavory cheap olive oil dealers have combined olive oil with cheap vegetable oils while still labeling the bottle as 100% olive oil, so make sure the olive oil you buy is pure, otherwise you may unwittingly be consuming unhealthy oils. Read this article for more info on how make sure your olive oil is real.

Smoke point: 320°-350°

4. Avocado Oil (sparingly), source low-PUFA brands like this one

IMG_1850-800x533.jpg

Avocado is my favorite frying oil because it has such a high smoke point (475°-520°). However, it does contains a fair amount of polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) which, in excess, have been known to cause inflammation. Because of this, I don’t use avocado oil as my everyday cooking oil, but it is a good choice for occasional use. You can also look for brands that offer avocado oil with low PUFA content like the Chosen Foods brand. To learn more about PUFAs read this article.

Smoke point: 475°-520°

5. Palm oil (sustainably sourced)

2869990227_16cd78641d_b-800x600.jpg

Palm oil is a great healthy option for high heat cooking. It is made from the palm fruit which is native to africa. There has been a lot of controversy surrounding palm oil because many palm oil plantations have contributed to the decimation of the rainforest. However, you can source responsible and sustainably harvested palm oil (see below for where to buy). See this article for more info about sustainably harvested palm oil.

Smoke point: 430°-455°

6. Butter

IMG_1853-800x533.jpg

Contrary to popular belief high-quality grassfed butter can be good for you. Although the mainstream media is slow to catch up, the link between saturated fats, cholesterol and poor heart health has been disproven (see the intro paragraph above for details).

Our bodies need dietary cholesterol to function properly. So, long story short, don’t worry about eggs or butter because your body (and brain especially) need cholesterol. Read more about the health of butter here.

Make sure you source good quality grass fed butter. Organic raw grassfed butter is the best option. Organic Valley pasture butter is a great option too. Kerrygold butter is also a good choice and very affordable. Butter should be used in low temperature cooking since the smoke point is 325°-375°.

Smoke point: 325°-375°

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
5 Cooking Oils You Think Are Healthy…But Aren’t

One thing I always say on my blog is that no matter what diet you follow (vegetarian, vegan, paleo, traditional, WAPF, etc.) one VERY important commonality between all of these diets is the reduction or removal of processed foods. You can do a lot for your health by removing processed foods. Many pervasive diseases today stem from an autoimmune response to chronic inflammation caused by processed foods. Unfortunately, the mainstream medical establishment is slow to catch up to a lot of this information regarding inflammation. Diseases like allergies, asthma, hearth disease, cancer, diabetes and arthritis are more pervasive than ever before and so is our country’s dependence on processed convenience foods. There is a lot of misinformation surrounding cooking oils in the mainstream medical community, so this article will help you clear up some of that misinformation.

When examining the healthy quality of cooking oils, there are three main things that we want to look at: 1. The ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids. 2. How it affects heart health 3. How it is processed. I’ll discuss below why these things are important.

Ratio of Omega-6 to Omega-3 Fatty Acids

First, let’s talk about the importance of the ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids in our diets. Omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids are polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs). Although they do play an important role in the cellular functions of our bodies, when they get out of balance, it can lead to a whole host of health problems. Too much omega-6 fatty acids can cause inflammation, clogged arteries, heart disease and an increased risk of cancer. This 2004 study suggests that “Excessive amounts of omega-6 polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) and a very high omega-6/omega-3 ratio, as is found in today’s Western diets, promote the pathogenesis of many diseases, including cardiovascular disease, cancer, and inflammatory and autoimmune diseases” (source) Another study shows that a high intake of omega-6 fats may contribute to a higher risk of breast cancer. (source)

The world health organization’s (WHO) recommended ratio for omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids is about 4:1, meaning that for every food you eat containing omega-3 fatty acids, you should eat no more than 4 times the amount of omega-6 fatty acids. I’ve heard recomendations that it should be even lower, like 1:1 (source). The maximum ratio recomended by the WHO is 10:1.

The average ratio of omega-6 to omega-3 fatty acids in Americans is between 10:1 to 25:1! That is well into the red zone according to the WHO’s recommendations (i’m talking about the World Health Organization, not the rock band…I don’t think Roger Daltry is running around on stage singing about “my generation and it’s overconsumption of omega-6 fatty acids”, hehe). This is surely because of the increase in the use of vegetable oils and corn and soy additives in almost every packaged food. The omega ratio in corn alone is 46:1! Even foods like meat, eggs and dairy can be high in omega-6’s because most animals are fed corn and soy. If you do eat animal foods make sure you get grassfed, pasture raised and organic to avoid high omega-6s. For recommendations on healthy oils, dairy products and other foods see my store or my marketplace.

So when we look at cooking oils, remember:
Too many omega-6s = Bad.

Cholesterol, Saturated Fats and Heart Health

Because of old faulty data (the lipid hypothesis), mainstream medicine has been recommending oils low in cholesterol and demonizing saturated fats because it was believed that dietary cholesterol led to heart disease. This could not be farther from the truth. Dr. Johnny Bowden explains, “We’ve been taught this based on some research that was done in the 60’s and 70’s which has since been shown to be extremely faulty, that research couldn’t even get published today, it’s been taken apart, but most well meaning doctors who have no time anyway just don’t have time to actually read the details of the research because in that research it shows pretty clearly that cholesterol doesn’t really lead to heart disease its a bad predictor.” (source)

In-fact, data shows that saturated fats can actually help protect you from heart disease! In a study done in Framingham, Massachusetts they found that “the more saturated fat one ate, the more cholesterol one ate, the more calories one ate, the lower the person’s serum cholesterol. The opposite of what… Keys et al would predict…We found that the people who ate the most cholesterol, ate the most saturated fat, ate the most calories, weighed the least and were the most physically active.” (source)

On the other hand, there is ample research that proves there is no connection between saturated fat, cholesterol intake and an increased risk in heart disease. A 2009 study found that “A meta-analysis of prospective epidemiologic studies showed that there is no significant evidence for concluding that dietary saturated fat is associated with an increased risk of CHD [coronary heart disease] or CVD [Cardio vascular disease]” (source). An article from heart surgeon Dr. Dwight Lundell explains that cholesterol and saturated fat DO NOT lead to heart disease, but inflammation does. He goes on to say “The injury and inflammation in our blood vessels is caused by the low fat diet recommended for years by mainstream medicine. What are the biggest culprits of chronic inflammation? Quite simply, they are the overload of simple, highly processed carbohydrates (sugar, flour and all the products made from them) and the excess consumption of omega-6 vegetable oils like soybean, corn and sunflower that are found in many processed foods.” (source)

These handy stats from an article on jules’ fuel show how reduced saturated fats and increased omega-6 oils have affected heart disease in the United States:

1900: Heart disease rare
Butter Consumption: 18 lbs./person/yr
Vegetable Oil Consumption: 11 lbs./person/yr

2012: Heart disease leading cause of death
Butter Consumption: 4 lbs./person/yr
Vegetable Oil Consumption: 59 lbs./person/yr”

el2002-20a.gif

This could be why despite recommending low-cholesterol foods and prescribing cholesterol lowering drugs for years, that heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the US. We have most certainly been fed the WRONG information.

The American Heart Association, the organization that our country looks to for dietary recomendations for heart heathy food, still promotes the use of these harmful oils. Canola oil is even a SPONSOR of the A.H.A.!

So, to sum up:

Saturated fat is Good.
Dietary cholesterol does not lead to heart disease
Saturated fat does not lead to heart disease.

[video=youtube;h27dFGzZ3PQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h27dFGzZ3PQ[/video]

1. Grapeseed Oil

I know this one is going to be a big shocker for a lot of people. Especially since grapeseed oil is constantly marketed as such a healthy cooking oil. Well, the “health” of grapeseed oil (and most of the other oils on this list) is all based on misleading information and myths about cholesterol and heart health (I’ve explained this all above, so if your skipping ahead, go back and read it if you really want to understand why grapeseed oil is not heart healthy!).

Grapeseed oil is about 70% omega-6 fatty acid which, as I explained above is way too much omega-6s. Too much omega-6s PUFAs causes inflammation which is the true cause of heart disease and can lead to other health problems like cancer and autoimmune disorders.

It is an industrially processed oil. This great article on grape seed oil explains,

“Some makers of grapeseed oil will go on about how “pure” and wholesome their product is compared to other oils, or even other brands of grapeseed oil. That’s probably because most grapseed oil is industrially processed with hexane and other toxic, carcinogenic solvents used to extract and clean the oil, with traces of these chemicals remaining in the final product. However, an expeller-pressed processed grapeseed oil is still rife with polyunsaturated fat, in concentrations which are highly toxic to humans. Doesn’t matter how “pure” those PUFAs are.”

Oils that are high in polyunsaturated fats (PUFAs) like grape seed oil are very fragile and therefore prone to oxidation. When an oil oxidizes it creates free radicals which can also lead to cancer, inflammation, hormonal imbalance and thyroid damage. Even cold pressed grapeseed oil may not be harmed during processing, but once you cook with it, it will oxidize.

If you want to know more about grape seed oil in detail read this article.

2. Canola oil/Rapeseed oil

About 87% of canola oil is genetically modified. To create canola oil, one must take the crude oil that has been heat extracted from rape seeds (what canola oil is made from) and refine, bleach and deodorize it. The fact that it is processed under high heat causes it to go rancid, which then creates the need for industrial carcinogenic bleaches and deodorizers like hexane.

Even though canola oil contains omega-3s, these oils are fragile and subject to oxidation through heating. If you think about it, other oils that are high in omega-3s would never be used for cooking. Fish oil and flaxseed oil are high in omega-3s, but are never heated because they are sensitive to oxidation. Look at this label of this flax seed oil bottle it says not to heat it.

Like I mentioned before, cold-pressed oils that are not heat treated in a factory with chemicals are still fragile oils. They will oxidize and become rancid once you cook with them. Even canola oil, as it was used as rapeseed oil long ago in china, caused health problems mostly related to the heart. Other studies done on canola oil consumption in farm animals has shown a negative effect on coronary health unless mitigated by the intake of beneficial saturated fats (source). Another reason why you shouldn’t avoid saturated fats!

Unfortunately, people have been told for so long to avoid saturated fats and replace them with refined oils that have an imbalance of omega-3 to omega-6 fatty acids. Is it any wonder that heart disease is still the leading cause of death in the US?

To read more about canola oil check out this article.

3. Vegetable oil/Soybean oil

Although vegetable oil sounds nice and natural because it seems like it’s made of vegetables, about 99% of the time a bottle of vegetable oil is actually just soybean oil. You can even look at the ingredients in a bottle of vegetable oil next time you go to the grocery store… you’ll see just one ingredient “soybean oil.”

Soybean oil is 54% omega-6, which like I discussed above is too much omega-6 and can lead to inflammation and health issues.

Soy is something that is best avoided or at least reduced in consumption unless it is fermented (like tempeh, natto or fermented soy sauce). I personally avoid soy for a few reasons. Soy is high in phytic acid and trypsin inhibitors which means that it blocks the absorption of many vitamins, minerals and proteins. It also contains phytoestrogens that can mimic estrogen in the body and disrupt normal hormone function which could possibly lead to increased cancer risk. If you want to learn more about soy this is a great book on the subject.

About 94% of soy is GMO unless it’s organic or labelled non-gmo. However, just because it’s non-GMO it doesn’t makes it good for you. It will still contain the phytic acid and phytoestrogens mentioned previously.

Even though I am vegetarian, some vegetarians and vegans get on the defensive when I come out against soy, because it is largely considered a “vegetarian food”. People assume that because I say that soy is bad for you, I must mean that being vegetarian is bad for you, becuase that’s what vegetarians eat. This is not true. In fact, most people that eat a standard american diet of processed and packaged food probably consume as much, if not more soy than any vegetarian or vegan that moderately consumes soy. Soy derivitives like soy protein isolate, soy lecithin, soybean oil, soy flour, vegetable oil and more are in almost every packaged food. Next time you go to the grocery store pick up a box of cereal, salad dressing, bars, cookies, crackers or anything else and I bet you’ll see one or more soy derivitives in the ingredients label. If you are vegetarian and need soy-free recipe ideas check out my new ebook.

The point is, I’m not targeting vegetarians when I say that soy is not good. I’m targeting processed food, which I think we can all agree is not good.

I avoid soy for the above reasons and because frankly, it’s not hard for me to do so. I make most of my food at home from scratch, which takes out the huge amount of soy products in processed boxed foods (soybean oil, soy protein, soy lecithin). I don’t feel deprived without soy. If you do choose to consume soy, fermented soy like tempeh and natto is the best choice because the fermentation process reduces phytic acid.

If you have a little bit of organic tofu here and there it probably won’t kill you, but I wouldn’t depend on it as the primary source of protein to include in your diet every day. If you want to read more about my take on soy you can read my article 5 Vegetarian Foods I Never Eat.

4. Vegan Butter Substitutes (Earth Balance)

Butter substitutes like smart balance and earth balance are mostly a mix of canola and soybean oils. You can revisit #2 & #3 of this list to read more details about why these oils are not healthy, but basically, soybean oil is too high in omega-6 fatty acids which can lead to inflammation and other diseases. Canola oil is highly processed and treated with chemical deodorizers and solvents.

On top of that, Earth balance also includes corn which is notoriosuly high in omega-6 fatty acids.

5. Corn Oil

There is a popular misconception that corn is a vegetable. It is actually a grain. Corn originated and was bred from a tall grass-like plant that somewhat resembled wheat.

Corn oil has 58% omega-6 fatty acids, which, like I mentioned above is too high and can lead to inflammation.

On top of that, corn is one of the most genetically modified crops in the US. About 88% (probably more) is GMO!

Which Cooking Oils Are Healthy?

So, now that we’ve covered which oils are unhealthy, you probably want to know which oils are good to use. Well, like I said before, saturated fats are good because they can actually protect you from heart disease and are very stable fats

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I would avoid cooking with olive oil because if it is heated it can easily oxidise. Healthier to just consume olive oil as is without any heat.
Many oils have been processed to extend it's shelf life. That's why the ones you find at the supermarket are usually unhealthy. Best to cut down the amount of oil you use for cooking. Try to eat water based cooking like soups,..

We all need oils. It is healthier to supplement with cold pressed oils like flaxseed, sunflower, sesame, primrose,..... For a non-vegetarian there are the added options that include fish oils, krill,...

kohpc

Alfrescian
Loyal
Source: Dr Bruce Fife

If you go to the grocery store you will see all types of foods proudly proclaiming they are made with canola oil. You see it in every type of food imaginable from frozen dinners to cookies and crackers. You can even buy it by the bottle.
CANOLA OILanola oil has gained a reputation a one of the "good" fats because it is primarily a monounsaturated fat, like olive oil, which is regard as one of the healthiest of all the fats. Many people claim canola oil is even better than olive oil because, next to flaxseed oil, it contains the highest amount of omega-3 fats. Omega-3s are believed to help prevent heart disease. Olive oil contains no omega-3 fats. Because of this, canola oil has received a great deal of recognition as the "premiere" monounsaturated fat and is highly promoted as health food by food producers. But how good is it really?

Food produces have learned from years of experience that if they present a poor quality food as healthy, it will become a best seller. That is the situation with canola oil. The truth is that canola oil is not a healthy oil. In fact, it is one of the unhealthiest oils you could ever eat and you should avoid anything and everything that contains it. Let me tell you why.

Canola oil is not a natural oil. It is a man-made oil never before seen in nature until a few years ago thanks to the wonders of modern chemistry. There is no such thing as a canola plant or a canola seed. Canola oil comes from hybridized, genetically modified rapeseed plants. The oil from natural rapeseed contains a highly toxic substance known as erucic acid and is illegal to sell for human consumption. Erucic acid is highly toxic to the heart and promotes heart failure. Rapeseed that is genetically modified to produce oil that contains a lower amount of erucic acid is called canola oil. Although most of the erucic acid has been removed, canola oil still contains about 1% of this heart-destroying toxin. Why would you want to eat an oil that contains harmful toxins?

One of the supposed benefits of canola oil is its high omega-3 content (10%). This benefit, however, is another reason why you shouldn't eat it. Omega-3 fats are very delicate and highly sensitive to heat. That's why you never heat flaxseed oil. The same is true with canola oil. It should never be heated because when omega-3s are heated they quickly oxidize (become rancid) and produce cell-destroying molecules known as free radicals. Canola oil is processed under high temperatures (over 300 degrees). This causes the polyunsaturated oils in it to transform into toxic trans fatty acids and the omega-3s to oxidize and become free radicals. All the beneficial omega-3s in the oil have been destroyed and turned into harmful substances.

You should never use canola oil in any type of cooking, even low temperature cooking because it creates trans fatty acids and free radicals both of which are very harmful to the body. Ironically, most the food products sold that contain canola oil are cooked or require cooking at home.

Don't be fooled by food company propaganda regarding canola oil. It's one food that isn't fit to eat.

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Tony I only use rice bran oil for home and this brand, heard its the best oil for cooking

Last edited:

soikee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Which Cooking Oils Are Healthy?

So, now that we’ve covered which oils are unhealthy, you probably want to know which oils are good to use. Well, like I said before, saturated fats are good because they can actually protect you from heart disease and are very stable fats

Yo Tony,

Try gutter cooking oil from China.......healthy, cheap and good.

[video=youtube;zrv78nG9R04]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrv78nG9R04&feature=youtu.be[/video]

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tony I only use rice bran oil for home and this brand, heard its the best oil for cooking

Rice bran oil is extracted from the germ and inner husk of rice. It has a mild taste and is popular in Asian cuisine because of its suitability for high-temperature cooking methods such as deep-frying and stir-frying. It is said to be the secret of good tempura.

Rice bran oil is mostly monounsaturated - a tablespoon contains 7 grams of monounsaturated fat, three of saturated fat and five of polyunsaturated fat. In comparison, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil contains 11 grams of monounsaturated fat, two grams of saturated fat and one gram of polyunsaturated fat. Rice bran oil also contains components of vitamin E that may benefit health.

A study from the University of Rochester in New York showed that isolated vitamin fractions in rice bran oil may be useful for cholesterol control, although most of the evidence for this comes from studies in lab animals. In one of these studies, total cholesterol dropped by 42 percent in lab rats fed a concentrated fraction of vitamin E called tocotrienol rich fraction (TRF) extracted from rice bran oil. The animals' LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels dropped as much as 62 percent after their diets were supplemented with TRF. The study was published in the May, 2005, issue of Food and Chemical Toxicology.

Earlier studies by the same research team showed that TRF boosts the activity of liver enzymes that clear toxic substances from the liver and reduces or stabilizes liver tumors. The group concluded that long-term use of tocotrienol might reduce overall cancer risk.

This research might support supplementing with tocotrienols, but I haven't seen much research on rice bran oil's contribution to human health. For household use, it doesn't measure up to olive oil in terms of monounsaturated fat. Its higher smoke point would make it more suitable for high temperature cooking, which I recommend you keep to a minimum in any case.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

sounds good, maybe i will try rice oil..

Last edited:

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Rice bran oil is extracted from the germ and inner husk of rice. It has a mild taste and is popular in Asian cuisine because of its suitability for high-temperature cooking methods such as deep-frying and stir-frying. It is said to be the secret of good tempura.

Rice bran oil is mostly monounsaturated - a tablespoon contains 7 grams of monounsaturated fat, three of saturated fat and five of polyunsaturated fat. In comparison, a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil contains 11 grams of monounsaturated fat, two grams of saturated fat and one gram of polyunsaturated fat. Rice bran oil also contains components of vitamin E that may benefit health.

A study from the University of Rochester in New York showed that isolated vitamin fractions in rice bran oil may be useful for cholesterol control, although most of the evidence for this comes from studies in lab animals. In one of these studies, total cholesterol dropped by 42 percent in lab rats fed a concentrated fraction of vitamin E called tocotrienol rich fraction (TRF) extracted from rice bran oil. The animals' LDL ("bad") cholesterol levels dropped as much as 62 percent after their diets were supplemented with TRF. The study was published in the May, 2005, issue of Food and Chemical Toxicology.

Earlier studies by the same research team showed that TRF boosts the activity of liver enzymes that clear toxic substances from the liver and reduces or stabilizes liver tumors. The group concluded that long-term use of tocotrienol might reduce overall cancer risk.

This research might support supplementing with tocotrienols, but I haven't seen much research on rice bran oil's contribution to human health. For household use, it doesn't measure up to olive oil in terms of monounsaturated fat. Its higher smoke point would make it more suitable for high temperature cooking, which I recommend you keep to a minimum in any case.

Andrew Weil, M.D.

sounds good, maybe i will try rice oil..

Tony thanks for the information above. I did not know this is so good. A good friend, a food chemist told me to only cook with this about 5 years ago and I've not stop using this.

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
in indian vegan cooking, coconut milk and oil are good. the one (mostly saturated) fat that is clogging up their hearts is from clarified butter or ghee, which is typically from cream of buffalo milk. it's an animal by-product. when ghee is consumed frequently at high levels, typically above 10% of total calories consumed, risk of cardiovascular diseases increases.

Last edited:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tony thanks for the information above. I did not know this is so good. A good friend, a food chemist told me to only cook with this about 5 years ago and I've not stop using this.

just got myself rice bran oil..but i think hard to convince old folks to use it. Anyway, my style is if they didn't use it to cook meals, i will not eat it.. i just had to cook my own meals then.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
in indian vegan cooking, coconut milk and oil are good. the one (mostly saturated) fat that is clogging up their hearts is from clarified butter or ghee, which is typically from cream of buffalo milk. it's an animal by-product. when ghee is consumed frequently at high levels, typically above 10% of total calories consumed, risk of cardiovascular diseases increases.

there is a new research saying that it is sugar which causes inflammation of the arteries which lead the the cholesterol thinking that the arteries need repair and patch it up which lead to clogging of heart arteries.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
there is a new research saying that it is sugar which causes inflammation of the arteries which lead the the cholesterol thinking that the arteries need repair and patch it up which lead to clogging of heart arteries.

the new research also indicate that it may lead to scrappgout

Froggy

Alfrescian (InfP) + Mod
Generous Asset
Generally rice bran oil costs 2-3 times normal palm oil. The difference in rice bran oil I noticed depend on the amount of Oryzanol, more oryzanol more expensive.

i use two types of rice brand oil at home:

2500ppm oryzanol which I use for deep frying and oil throw away after each use

5,000ppm oryzanol content which I use for other cooking

Trouble with rice bran oil is in Thailand you don't get big pack always only 1L max while in Singapore you could find big 3 or 5 litre of the same brand above which is more economical. Really strange.

Here are the other brands and costs

Compare all the above with normal palm oil below, normal Thais will not be able to afford.

Seee3

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A few years back, my digestive system was so bad that I would suffer heart burn if I take anything oily. I discovered that the only oil my system can handle is olive oil. However, it is not suitable for Chinese cooking besides being more expensive. Luckily a friend introduced rice bran oil to me and it was ok. Have been using rice bran oil since. I think the worst cooking oil is palm oil.

Last edited: