• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Golf courses to make way for growing population

Suspicion

Alfrescian
Loyal

Published on Jan 31, 2013

singaporecountryclub31012013e.jpg

File photo of the Singapore Island Country Club. The Government is looking at redeveloping some golf courses to support a growing population of up to 6.9 million by 2030. -- ST PHOTO: AZIZ HUSSIN

By Daryl Chin

Sprawling golf courses could be put to better use, and the Government is looking at redeveloping some of them to support a growing population of up to 6.9 million by 2030.

There are now 18 golf courses here, which occupy about 1,500 hectares of land.

They are generally on a 30-year lease, and that many of them will expire from 2021 onwards.

The move is part of a wider Land Use Plan released by the Ministry of National Development on Tuesday which sets out how Singapore will cater to the population growth.

The government will free up land with low intensity uses such as golf courses, existing military training areas and farmland for redevelopment to optimise land use, it said.

Some golf courses that have their leases running out in the next decade includes Keppel, Tanah Merah, Seletar and Sentosa.

The other clubs are Singapore Island Country Club, Laguna National, Changi Golf Course, Orchid Country Club, NSRCC - Tanah Merah, Marina Bay Golf Course, Raffles Country Club, NSRCC - Kranji, Warren Golf Club, Jurong Country Club, Executive Golf Course (Mandai), Sembawang Country Club, Green Fairways and Tanglin Golf Club.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The golf courses sit on prime land, and I doubt people can afford the housing there anyway.

Of course, if you just want to build more condos for the rich folks, why not?

How about clearing away some SAF camps? They're sitting on good land. With about half the population going to be foreigners, it makes no sense to spend so much on NS. And while you're at it, further cut the duration of full-time NS and the number of reservist cycles.

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
LordElrond will rather purchase a villa in the middle of a golf course in Ozland... maybe with an acre of land or two... at the price of a Sinkie 99 year condo.

sleaguepunter

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The golf courses sit on prime land, and I doubt people can afford the housing there anyway.

How about clearing away some SAF camps? They're sitting on good land. With about half the population going to be foreigners, it makes no sense to spend so much on NS. And while you're at it, further cut the duration of full-time NS and the number of reservist cycles.

i only believe it when i see the bulldozers move in.

Bigfuck

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wah Lao, like that LBW dulan man. She unhappy she will say no need to talk to Singaporean, and say Leegime rude. By the way, is she Singaporean or Malaysian. If She Singaporean she should not open mouth. If she open mouth, does this mean she not Singaporean or got dual passport?

Last edited:

QXD

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Cull all the golf clubs only to realise too late that they were wildlife sanctuarys and the green lung in Singapore.

I look forward to Beijing-like skies in SG, only then, the PAP will tell you the air is "well within" global standards while Singaporeans drop like flies.

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

Last edited:

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Cull all the golf clubs only to realise too late that they were wildlife sanctuarys and the green lung in Singapore.

I look forward to Beijing-like skies in SG, only then, the PAP will tell you the air is "well within" global standards while Singaporeans drop like flies.

LOL air quality in Singapore. When the tv starts telling you that the PSI is in the 'healthy to moderate range', you know for sure that clinics are crowded with people.

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal

On the contrary, golf courses use a lot of chemicals to keep out the weeds and insects. Highly pollutive.

blackmondy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since we have world class airforce why not attack other countries and use their land to build HDB flats. ?

Last edited:

blissquek

Alfrescian
Loyal

They will certainly use part of Pulau Tekong to house the additional million of residents..

They don"t spent hundreds of millions of dollars to clear and reclaim land on the island so that our sons can fire some rubber bullets there.

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
i only believe it when i see the bulldozers move in.

hi there

1. honest, i thought i read it back then.
2. some dafter sheep proclaimed that land used for such golf courses & country clubs.
3. are not suitable for housing & development hoh.
4. that is why leased them to such rich establishments.
5. now, who is lying or what

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

hi there

1. bingo!
2. just imagine the waste, heat & exhaust generated from 7 mil.
3. our skies shall be grey and dull.

looneytan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
On the contrary, golf courses use a lot of chemicals to keep out the weeds and insects. Highly pollutive.

Not exactly la bro, environmental friendly has long been considered for golf course management, further more most courses are within catchment area the use of chemical is strictly control

watchman8

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not exactly la bro, environmental friendly has long been considered for golf course management, further more most courses are within catchment area the use of chemical is strictly control
Possible that the ones in sg uses safer pesticides. But without these so called pests, there will be no wildlife to speak of, so getting rid of golf courses is something I support.

I think people wrongly assume that the golf courses must be converted into housing or industrial land. The plan could be to convert these golf courses into parks for all to use, instead of exclusively for the elite snob golfers.

Don't throw out the baby with bath water. Some of cow proposal may be worth looking into.

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
They will certainly use part of Pulau Tekong to house the additional million of residents..

They don"t spent hundreds of millions of dollars to clear and reclaim land on the island so that our sons can fire some rubber bullets there.

Supposedly Ubin was on the cards.......wonder how come no mention.
We still got many islands........can build there.