• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Golf company staff calls me dumb and idiot in email

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
First time i heard of ppl requesting for change of interview venue cos they dunno how to get to that place.

For senior positions, sometimes ppl even fly in from other countries for interviews hor!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
This company has actually helped this chap. Look at my post before this. Most companies would do the politically correct thing and give a polite answer and would have marked him for lack of initiative.

I am quite certain that any company will not offer such a person the job. To ask for a change in venue is inconsiderate on the part of the applicant as she has no idea of the logistics that go into a job interview.

As for that senior executive that was referred to in your post, i am quite certain he will be given the job if he is an accountant.

Having said that, such a response by that company is indicative of the culture inherent within it. That is why she is better off not working for it. If they can verbally abuse potential candidates, consider how they may handle their own captive staff. In that sense, I would say that the company did her a favour.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree with 1st and last para.

Sr Exective post refers to Sr Mgmt. Entry level accountants don't even make into middle mgmt. Firstly we were struck by the fact that someone with a post grad and relevant experience will worry about a coupon of a few dollars. Overtime, we have come across people like that - its falls between character flaw and unable to see the context of things. We had to terminate an executive for taking biscuits from staff pantry and bringing home. He said that it was common practice back in HK.

Anyway, event companies typically have temp staff and they can't be bothered. Not much of a culture when everything is transient.

I am quite certain that any company will not offer such a person the job. To ask for a change in venue is inconsiderate on the part of the applicant as she has no idea of the logistics that go into a job interview.

As for that senior executive that was referred to in your post, i am quite certain he will be given the job if he is an accountant.

Having said that, such a response by that company is indicative of the culture inherent within it. That is why she is better off not working for it. If they can verbally abuse potential candidates, consider how they may handle their own captive staff. In that sense, I would say that the company did her a favour.

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
>>We had to terminate an executive for taking biscuits from staff pantry and bringing home. He said that it was common practice back in HK.<<

WTF?! Getting fired over biscuits?!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sr Mgmt staff have a moral responsibility and their conduct must be above board. He went quietly. This guy was talk of the staff before management knew about it. We are talking about packets of biscuits.

Ever heard of lawyer asked to go for taking toilet rolls.

>>We had to terminate an executive for taking biscuits from staff pantry and bringing home. He said that it was common practice back in HK.<<

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Sr Mgmt staff have a moral responsibility and their conduct must be above board. He went quietly. This guy was talk of the staff before management knew about it. We are talking about packets of biscuits.

Ever heard of lawyer asked to go for taking toilet rolls.

hi there

1. bro, scroobal, no offence, get real man!
2. snr exe has moral responsibility?
3. my foot is laughing all the way.
4. they are the ones who break all rules to suit their course of actions.
5. honest, i have seen one too many.
6. above board, what a joke!
7. do you know who is madoff?
8. get it!

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it into context. If he has no qualms about taking biscuits from staff pantry, what else will he do. Obviously he has no moral compass.

Surprisingly these things do happen in professionals ranks as well such as the case of a Lawyer and partner earning half a million dollars who walked into next hotel room where the door was not shut and stole the guys personal effects including wallets and ipod etc while on a business trip in HK. This appeared in the press.

Madoff's is a Ponzi scheme - a crook from the start.

hi there

1. bro, scroobal, no offence, get real man!
2. snr exe has moral responsibility?
3. my foot is laughing all the way.
4. they are the ones who break all rules to suit their course of actions.
5. honest, i have seen one too many.
6. above board, what a joke!
7. do you know who is madoff?
8. get it!

cooleo

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take it into context. If he has no qualms about taking biscuits from staff pantry, what else will he do. Obviously he has no moral compass.

Surprisingly these things do happen in professionals ranks as well such as the case of a Lawyer and partner earning half a million dollars who walked into next hotel room where the door was not shut and stole the guys personal effects including wallets and ipod etc while on a business trip in HK. This appeared in the press.

Madoff's is a Ponzi scheme - a crook from the start.

Morals and good business sense sometimes don't correlate. You think most of the top CEOs or big towkays got to where they are from being morally upright? If i am an investor, i only care whether u make money or not, not whether u steal cookies from pantry!

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sr Exective post refers to Sr Mgmt. Entry level accountants don't even make into middle mgmt. Firstly we were struck by the fact that someone with a post grad and relevant experience will worry about a coupon of a few dollars. Overtime, we have come across people like that - its falls between character flaw and unable to see the context of things. We had to terminate an executive for taking biscuits from staff pantry and bringing home. He said that it was common practice back in HK.

Anyway, event companies typically have temp staff and they can't be bothered. Not much of a culture when everything is transient.

That's a fair point. Although I was referring to CFOs type of calibre. I know of some who are extremely detailed and prudent when it come to money.

But then, different organizations has different informal criteria for employment and that is understandable.

When you reached a certain level, people will always smile and greet you. The only way to know their character is to see how they treat those who cannot benefit them.

I visited their website and armed with that stomper's feedback, is in a position to gauge.

Anyway, the world is big enough to accomodate different reactions.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
If i am an investor, i only care whether u make money or not, not whether u steal cookies from pantry!

Maybe a short-term investor.

But if you are the type that buy and hold, you also want to know what type of person that fellow is. Not just his vision but also his capability to manage, motivate and retain staff. It is the lattar that demands CEOs who are capable of being respected.

People are the greatest assets to a big organization.

But we are talking start-ups here.

I think I will stop here because there is no right or wrong. In the end, how you treat others will be reflected in your profitability.

UseYourBrain

Alfrescian
Loyal
She must have writen in her resume that she is a grassroot activist and a holder of NTUC privellege card. She was trying to use her privelege that's all.

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
When you reached a certain level, people will always smile and greet you. The only way to know their character is to see how they treat those who cannot benefit them.

Very intelligent post from among these other people. I am impressed.

Sometimes in life, there is no need to be too practical about everyone and everything, and the funny thing about this is that, by having the mindset you'd often find yourself be actually progressing way ahead of the practical and the "practicalized" others.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

dun be surprised, an admin auntie in Europe was in charge of preparing buffet for her staff, she just took 2 meat balls from the buffet spread..to test for edibility..

later her boss found out, she kena fired!

i mean who can refuse the lure of a buffet spread?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Although I was referring to CFOs type of calibre. I know of some who are extremely detailed and prudent when it come to money.

Will share with you couple of cases as I realised that not many people are not aware what goes in Sr Mgmt of major companies including MNCs. The main reason people are not aware is that this companies tend to loathe any publicity that damages their reputation so nothing is publicised. The impression is that no action is taken against them.

All these cases refer to people executive management positions.

1) Asked to leave because converted business class fare into 2 economy fare to bring wife along against company policy.

2) Taking home standalone ink-printer worth a few hundred dollars and claiming lost. Terminated.

3) Making False T&E claims - this alone is very common among many companies.

No matter how senior you are, there are many decent people and honest people in Sr Mgmt that will not tolerate unethical conduct even if they have served very long in the company and very high in rank.

Over time, I found unethical people across the entire spectrum of society but the good part is that the vast majroity are honest and ethical.