• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Going down Food Memory Lane, Old Restaurants/Coffehouses of yesteryear

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
I had some thoughts about the Sheraton name today and if I am not mistaken, the full name was Century Park Sheraton until ANA took over and Baron's Table was there only when it was ANA. Not quite clear about a disco there.

Hotel Malaysia was built at the cross roads between Tanglin Rd and Holland Rd (correct me if I am wrong), across the road from Tanglin Mall, and I patronised the coffee house which was named....."The Coffee House". There was a waitress there I was acquainted with before she started working there.

From extremely vague recollection, that hotel was renamed (new management) but maybe some bro can help here because I could not remember what was the new name before it was converted to service aprtmt.

Is that an old coot's way of saying "f*ck buddy"? :p:wink::p:wink:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Malaysia Hotel plus land was bought by Khoo Teck Puat, owner of Goodwood Park Group for $45m in the 60's.

In the early 80's he sold it to HK Wheelock Group for $200m and they renamed it Marco Polo Hotel.

In 2002, Wheelock tore it down to build two blocks of high-end luxury apartments, called The Grange.

Marco Polo Hotel, that's it. Bro, you have such good information you must be involved in the financial sector. Read some of your good posts on your predictions on Sands and you were spot on.

Thanks for sharing with us your knowledge.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes, that was opened by the Indonesian mistress of Mr Ho Leong Tin, the original owner of Cockpit Hotel. That was my favourite Indonesian restaurant.

Seems like theres alot of spicey stories connected with the eateries :biggrin:

Pity they're all disappearing one by one. Whatever happened to Ramayana, or to the mistress? Heard the Cockpit Hotel was supposed to be converted into some kind of condo but the project got into trouble because it faced the Istana & posed a security concern :rolleyes:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
That is why, when I get into KL....one of the must eat thing to do is to head for Suria KLCC, in basment1 or was it 2?..A&W...one coney dog, root bear, one waffle with ice cream...ok! replace the root bear with ice cream/coke float...a sugarly sinful meal....

The other must eat, would be to the Noodle shop at BB Plaza, at the side facing the B Bintang Monorail Station..their noodles is like Merlin, Woh Hup of old...

:biggrin:

A&W is very rare in Malaysia, at least I haven't bumped into any in my visits to JB & KL. They probably have a tough time competing with the other franchises.

They seem more common in Jakarta & Batam.

Have eaten those noodles at B Bintang & it was very old world :rolleyes:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
Nope. Then she must have been plain looking. I read in the other forum how guys always pick up waitresses. :p:wink::smile:

On the contrary, she was very pretty even without make up and had a sexy body, too. She was spotted by an advertising agency while working as a waitress and I drove her to the agency to sign the contract. Later, I saw an advertisement movie clip featuring her, in the cinemas.

She subsequently married (not to me) and I attended her wedding dinner. Visited her later when she had her first born to deliver my present to her new born baby.

So lolabunny, not every friendhip between a man and a woman is all about what you might have heard. There was no question of me picking up this waitress since I knew her long before she became one. :smile:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
On the contrary, she was very pretty even without make up and had a sexy body, too. She was spotted by an advertising agency while working as a waitress and I drove her to the agency to sign the contract. Later, I saw an advertisement movie clip featuring her, in the cinemas.

She subsequently married (not to me) and I attended her wedding dinner. Visited her later when she had her first born to deliver my present to her new born baby.

So lolabunny, not every friendhip between a man and a woman is all about what you might have heard. There was no question of me picking up this waitress since I knew her long before she became one. :smile:

I know, I was just teasing you. :p:p:smile:

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know, I was just teasing you. :p:p:smile:

lolabunny,

You beri naughty, ah. Teasing your uncle. :biggrin: :biggrin:

By the way, just want to let you know I enjoyed your exchange of thoughts with some of the guys on the "carry handbag" thread. It was a good and fresh perspective from a lady's point of view. :smile:

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Marco Polo Hotel, that's it. Bro, you have such good information you must be involved in the financial sector. Read some of your good posts on your predictions on Sands and you were spot on.

Thanks for sharing with us your knowledge.

Pls don't mention and you're most welcome.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seems like theres alot of spicey stories connected with the eateries :biggrin:

Pity they're all disappearing one by one. Whatever happened to Ramayana, or to the mistress? Heard the Cockpit Hotel was supposed to be converted into some kind of condo but the project got into trouble because it faced the Istana & posed a security concern :rolleyes:

Hoo Leong Tin went bust and the Cockpit Hotel was sold to the late Mr Teo, a contractor who also almost went bust.

Wing Tai bought the site in 2003 and has put up a high-end condominium development.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hoo Leong Tin went bust and the Cockpit Hotel was sold to the late Mr Teo, a contractor who also almost went bust.

Wing Tai bought the site in 2003 and has put up a high-end condominium development.

This was suppose to be, going down food memory lane....but seems that, it is soon heading for the backlane..:biggrin:

Yeah, what happened to Ramayana?, food there, ain't freat anyway, still prefer Tambuah Mas at Tanglin Shopping Centre.

Now, wandering into the sideline...you guys remember, Mr O'Dell? on the 3rd floor Tanglin Shopping Centre?, who rents out, hard to find, out of print, VHS tape movies?

We have Tambuah Mas at Tanglin Shopping, not too bad Indonesian food, If I am not mistaken Coca Resturant used to be there, & now , Chongqing?, on the ground floor, facing the taxi stand, use to be a cafe run by a Northern Indian woman..loved her muffins..now it is occupied by Isle Cafe....in the past, it was difficult to get, reasonably cheap meals around that part of Singapore..unless one, go to Taman Serasi...the foodcourt at Forum Galleria, first in the besement, then up a few floors, before closing down..was very expensive & the food unremarkable.

Now, we are back to the mail lane..:biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
lolabunny,

You beri naughty, ah. Teasing your uncle. :biggrin: :biggrin:

By the way, just want to let you know I enjoyed your exchange of thoughts with some of the guys on the "carry handbag" thread. It was a good and fresh perspective from a lady's point of view. :smile:

I was just bored today. :smile:

It's an interesting cultural phenomenon though. Would guys have done that for ladies in the days when you were young?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

It's an interesting cultural phenomenon though. Would guys have done that for ladies in the days when you were young?

No!...I will get a scolding from my elders!..handbags are for women!, it is toxic, like children as in "MONSTER INC"!!!, if you ask me to hold a woman's handbag when I was young..." I will go red, with embarassment, and die from shame"..:biggrin:

But, we push in the chair for the lady to sit down first, when we dine, and offer them the menu to choose...and scoot to the toliet to count the notes in wallet, under the excuse that, 'I need to go"...hey!, those days, no credit cards/debit cards/cash card..etc

that's going down food memory lane!...:biggrin:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal

Plausible version of this story. Guy had always been interest in this girl but feelings were never reciprocated. Guy chose to love her in a different way, remain a good friend and a gentleman. Guys of this breed are as rare as PAP leaders with a real heart for the interest of the people they are suppose to serve. Here's to the nobility of gentlemen lovers. Salut!:smile:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
Plausible version of this story. Guy had always been interest in this girl but feelings were never reciprocated. Guy chose to love her in a different way, remain a good friend and a gentleman. Guys of this breed are as rare as PAP leaders with a real heart for the interest of the people they are suppose to serve. Here's to the nobility of gentlemen lovers. Salut!:smile:

To my Bastard Ex who could be reading this -- learn a thing or two!

In another vein, the guy could just have never told the girl about his feelings so had to eat shit and die when the girl up-ed and married another dude. :rolleyes:

Not talking about you uncle SC! :p:wink::smile:

I think the guy should always just chase the girl la. Girls can get moved pretty easily, you'd be surprised. :wink::smile:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
No!...I will get a scolding from my elders!..handbags are for women!, it is toxic, like children as in "MONSTER INC"!!!, if you ask me to hold a woman's handbag when I was young..." I will go red, with embarassment, and die from shame"..:biggrin:

But, we push in the chair for the lady to sit down first, when we dine, and offer them the menu to choose...and scoot to the toliet to count the notes in wallet, under the excuse that, 'I need to go"...hey!, those days, no credit cards/debit cards/cash card..etc

that's going down food memory lane!...:biggrin:

So men aren't supposed to wear ladies' underwear too? Even if you guys wanna role play The Beckhams, you can't wear her panties or let her gag you with it? And she can't tie you up with her bra?? :p:p:biggrin::biggrin::cool:

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

gthat gives gthe guy a great gopportunity to grummage gthru' gher ghandbag to get gtelltale signs of gher gwayward gways. if the guy finds used condoms, drugs, handcuffs and a knife, be prepared to be robbed after the fling.