• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Going down Food Memory Lane, Old Restaurants/Coffehouses of yesteryear

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
To my Bastard Ex who could be reading this -- learn a thing or two!

In another vein, the guy could just have never told the girl about his feelings so had to eat shit and die when the girl up-ed and married another dude. :rolleyes:

Not talking about you uncle SC! :p:wink::smile:

I think the guy should always just chase the girl la. Girls can get moved pretty easily, you'd be surprised. :wink::smile:

no, no, never eat shit n die. always make the other party eat shit n die.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Are you an AH SIAH KIAH because ordinary folk don't have money to splurge on these Copper Kettle faggot places. Lido was crawling with fat post-colonial angmos

It appears that he really is - all these appear places appear "affordable" to him. Poor me can only remember those hawker stalls selling mee siam (without hum) around the Padang near the Singapore River mouth - (under the 5 big trees), Bencoolen Street Indian rojak and fishhead beehoon along Carpenter Street at night. And yes Cold Storage appears to cater only to angmoh. Even the A & W along Dunearn Road seemed too expensive during those days.

Rather than looking for these "unaffordable" places, most time was spent catching spiders, flying kites and catching guppies from the longkang.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Rather than looking for these "unaffordable" places, most time was spent catching spiders, flying kites and catching guppies from the longkang.

Does it really matter where or what we ate or played? It's the memories that count. Were we happy? Do we have friends that shared and still share those memories?
Counting our blessings just sounds right. Does it not?:smile:

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
....Remembered I bought my first car at Orchard Rd this way, too. Just settle the insurance, pay up (inclusive of road tax) then collect your car.

Was it like the "lau pok kar" that you bought - like those where a plastic or wooden stick would flick out near door panel when you give the signal to turn? And to start the car you need to go to the front bonnet and crank the engine?

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does it really matter where or what we ate or played? It's the memories that count. Were we happy? Do we have friends that shared and still share those memories?

Sure, we were poor then but never jealous of our neighbours' wealth or fortune. It was like a kind of fated feeling - the idea of feeling poor or wanting this and that was never there.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, we were poor then but never jealous of our neighbours' wealth or fortune. It was like a kind of fated feeling - the idea of feeling poor or wanting this and that was never there.

Oh how I wish for a quaint old roadside Sarabat stall to order and share a glass of teh tarik with my childhood pals. I'm sure we'll be teary eyed doing that!:o

Alfrescian
Loyal

You were right. My good old days, remembering all those wonderful time as
a kid. Where were you, Mine was in Tanjong Pagar, A food paradise then. Not forgetting the frangrant Nasi Padang stall besides opposite TP Police Station.
Also the original curry rice all around the corners and the fried carrot cake, now
the grand daughter still selling at Tg Pagar market.

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal

As George Lam had once said in a stout commercial, you can't desire something you had not seen before! Life was so much simpler then...............:(

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal
gthat gives gthe guy a great gopportunity to grummage gthru' gher ghandbag to get gtelltale signs of gher gwayward gways. if the guy finds used condoms, drugs, handcuffs and a knife, be prepared to be robbed after the fling.

well imagine the handcuffs are for S&M, and knife is for chronic fruit peeling (due to fruit addiction & also eating more fruits are healthy but you don't really want to eat the icky skin of a mango do you?), the "drugs" are actually vitamin pills due to health concious, and the condoms are practices for safe sex.

it actually makes for a pretty good gf. and it shows how paranoid the guy can be. :wink::smile:

lastly, eating shit is not very good. don't know which jap shows keep showing weird fetishes like eating schoolgirl poo. did you watch too much of that hence the nickname? :p:wink::smile::cool:

Zeitgeist

Alfrescian
Loyal
You were right. My good old days, remembering all those wonderful time as
a kid. Where were you, Mine was in Tanjong Pagar, A food paradise then. Not forgetting the frangrant Nasi Padang stall besides opposite TP Police Station.
Also the original curry rice all around the corners and the fried carrot cake, now
the grand daughter still selling at Tg Pagar market.

Old Geylang Lor 4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13, our "area" and Changi Beach along Telok Paku where we dogs roamed!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Poor me can only remember those hawker stalls selling mee siam (without hum) around the Padang near the Singapore River mouth - (under the 5 big trees) ...

now on this board whenever we mention mee siam ... we MUST specify 'with hum' or 'without hum' ...

bet ah loong must be regretting the day he made this mistake ... (where's the 'long piak' smiley ?) ...
:biggrin:

lolabunny

Alfrescian
Loyal

If the guy didn't tell the girl he loved her and she married someone else, it was his fault.

In that context, what you advocate is pretty bad for the karma of the dude.

Don't be a guy who blames people for your mistakes and then try to take revenge. Bad karma will haunt you.

If you are so selfish, you will understand that the one who suffers the most, is that guy who makes the other party "eat shit" for the mistakes he made himself. :smile:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I ate at the other place often enough but cannot conclusively remember its name. I feel the food there is better, a little spicier but without being overpowering.

Neither did I patronise Happy Valley. Just heard horror stories from the victims.

Yes, there was a similar restn to Rendezvous a few doors away. Remembering the name is beyond me now. However, those days Rendezvous had better business. Not sure if food quality was better as I never tasted the food at the other one for comparisation.

yinyang

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...Hotel Malaysia was built at the cross roads between Tanglin Rd and Holland Rd (correct me if I am wrong), across the road from Tanglin Mall, and I patronised the coffee house which was named....."The Coffee House". There was a waitress there I was acquainted with before she started working there. From extremely vague recollection, that hotel was renamed (new management)
Bar/lounge was popular with those (mostly expats) from shipping trade. Some also get enamoured with waitresses there. I know of 1 kweilo who had his 2nd marriage with 1 spg type, after prompt relocation. But think this is no consolation or cold comfort to you though, hehe:wink::p

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes I remember that, was it then called Cuscaden Hotel? How about the old Boulevard Hotel's coffee house, anyone recall that one? I use to like to go there late at night and usually had something like hokkien prawn mee soup. Or what about the old Marco Polo Hotel? I liked it's pastry shop.

Hotel Malaysia was built at the cross roads between Tanglin Rd and Holland Rd (correct me if I am wrong), across the road from Tanglin Mall, and I patronised the coffee house which was named....."The Coffee House". There was a waitress there I was acquainted with before she started working there.

From extremely vague recollection, that hotel was renamed (new management) but maybe some bro can help here because I could not remember what was the new name before it was converted to service aprtmt.

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I was quite fond of eating dim sum at Cockpit Hotel. Use to enjoy seeing the door man there with his feathered hat, looked real grand.

Anyone recall a Hotel along steven's road at the junction of bukit timah road. Can't recall its name now but it had a pretty good sze chuan restaurant.

PS Just recalled, Hotel Equitorial:smile:

Yes, that was opened by the Indonesian mistress of Mr Ho Leong Tin, the original owner of Cockpit Hotel. That was my favourite Indonesian restaurant.

Last edited:

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Food, sex and love, Bro,:p watch films like say 'The Cook The Thief His wife and Her Lover' and 'Chocolat':smile:

Btw hasn't it finally been converted after Cockpit Hotel was finally torn down?

Seems like theres alot of spicey stories connected with the eateries :biggrin:

Pity they're all disappearing one by one. Whatever happened to Ramayana, or to the mistress? Heard the Cockpit Hotel was supposed to be converted into some kind of condo but the project got into trouble because it faced the Istana & posed a security concern ::

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hey I like this story Bro, thanks for sharing:smile:

So I guess 'Harry' may well have been wrong afterall in "When Harry met Sally" eh:wink:
On the contrary, she was very pretty even without make up and had a sexy body, too. She was spotted by an advertising agency while working as a waitress and I drove her to the agency to sign the contract. Later, I saw an advertisement movie clip featuring her, in the cinemas.

She subsequently married (not to me) and I attended her wedding dinner. Visited her later when she had her first born to deliver my present to her new born baby.

So lolabunny, not every friendhip between a man and a woman is all about what you might have heard. There was no question of me picking up this waitress since I knew her long before she became one.