• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GMS: Political oppositon will never be the same again after LKT's speech

kingrant

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought LTK made a lot of sense in explaining why WP rejected the overtures of SDP and other calls for Opp unity. He is completely valid to say that political parties will be as different as their leaders, aims and vision are different, so why go to sleep in same bed but have different dreams? Other rival Opp parties must get their act together, strengthen themselves, for only then they can negotiate with a strong hand. Nobody wants a loser to be a freeloader. If WP makes way for SDP, RP or SDA, will SDP or any other necessarily be able to win in PE? If not, then one chance has been lost to some one better. I believe voters and all of us want to see us take on the PAP with our strongest hand, not our weaker one, just for sake of Opp unity. If we do so with our weaker hand, everyone loses except PAP. If all the others are as strong and as winnable, then Opp unity or coming to some sort of accord to take on PAP makes more sense.

Last edited:

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought LTK made a lot of sense in explaining why WP rejected the overtures of SDP and other calls for Opp unity. He is completely valid to say that political parties will be as different as their leaders, aims and vision are different, so why go to sleep in same bed but have different dreams? Other rival Opp parties must get their act together, strengthen themselves, for only then they can negotiate with a strong hand. Nobody wants a loser to be a freeloader. If WP makes way for SDP, RP or SDA, will SDP or any other necessarily be able to win in PE? If not, then one chance has been lost to some one better. I believe voters and all of us want to see us take on the PAP with our strongest hand, not our weaker one, just for sake of Opp unity. If we do so with our weaker hand, everyone loses except PAP. If all the others are as strong and as winnable, then Opp unity or coming to some sort of accord to take on PAP makes more sense.

He was right in indirectly implying SDA was a example of opposition unity gone wrong. Look how little it has achieved and Chiam no longer in the picture.

The_Hypocrite

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Also alot of the Oppos in singapore are nothing but third rate sorry excuses for clowns,,parties like SDA, RP etc does nothing to enhance the standing of the oppos,,only WP is professional enough to challenge PAP,,with this third rates around,,PAP will continue getting support, if WP deals with these clowns,,WP will get hurt in the process

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Very well said, kingrant. My thoughts and sentiments exactly.

moolightaffairs

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
GMS really cho lao kui. if he hang on and stop behaving like a indian chief and let LTK lead, GMS might even face pap in Hougang during 2011 GE and won the seat!!! then he will be legend of oppositions and seeing as 2nd man to LTK. but his big head gets too big for WP and think LTK is one indian chief instead of himself. now after sometime, it is obvious that who has the last laugh. definitely not GMS. GMS must be squeezing his balls in his bed tossing and turning around into the sleepless night.

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Every politician wanted to be hero who want to combine force with another party ? Every man is selfish that's normal . Everyone knows what's the meaning of jiak si guey wa tua peng :wink: u want to eat si guey then plant your own lor :wink:

Fook Seng

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
I thought LTK made a lot of sense in explaining why WP rejected the overtures of SDP and other calls for Opp unity. He is completely valid to say that political parties will be as different as their leaders, aims and vision are different, so why go to sleep in same bed

I can understand his argument and can agree with him. But I cannot agree with the timing of this explanation. Although it might gain some votes from people sitting on the fence carrying doubts but it will also chase away hard core supporters of the other parties.

He can defend his performance in parliament but this doesn't seem appropriate to be brought up at this time, maybe somewhere in between elections, giving himself several additional rounds of clarification.

I am sure it will be picked up in the rallies tonight. Something need to be put up in Facebook, blogs and forum tonite to counter that.

Kinana

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can understand his argument and can agree with him. But I cannot agree with the timing of this explanation. Although it might gain some votes from people sitting on the fence carrying doubts but it will also chase away hard core supporters of the other parties.

He can defend his performance in parliament but this doesn't seem appropriate to be brought up at this time, maybe somewhere in between elections, giving himself several additional rounds of clarification.

I am sure it will be picked up in the rallies tonight. Something need to be put up in Facebook, blogs and forum tonite to counter that.

LTK should have at least met with other parties rather than ignoring them altogether and then made this statement.
He lacks political astuteness n will never run Singapore

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
After the BE, he will come here to bullshit how he already anticipated the results. But if you ask him to put his prediction now he will keep quiet.

Hes Machiam fortune teller using cold reading :wink: he thought all ppl are stupid .

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

imo. it's not chasing away hardcore supporters of the other parties, it is actually futile to win them over. so might as well gain some votes from other group of people.

tanwahp

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
imo. it's not chasing away hardcore supporters of the other parties, it is actually futile to win them over. so might as well gain some votes from other group of people.

Every party has kinds of people that they can never win over. PAP can never win over the hardcore desire to have an alternative. WP those who want to demolish PAP. SDP those who want moderate approach.

The trick is to win over who is the majority while at the same time changing minds and perceptions.