• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

GMS: I was misunderstood and quoted out of context

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
"Macau" is a former Portuguese colony close to Hong kong and has a population of about half a million.

These are the only details we have.

Next question please....

Macau wasn't a Portuguese colony in the sense of the word colony. It was a gift on leasehold by Ming Dynasty on the request of seafaring Portugese traders in those days. It was granted peacefully since Ming Dynasty didn't know what to do with Macau too, might as as well make it generous grant in gift to Portugese since they wanted back Formosa (Taiwan). In the days of wooden ships (not yet steel ships), no navy in the world could rival Ming China Navy, Portugese knew that well and accepted Macau as a subordinate caretaker and manager of Macau. That's why there wasn't any controversy over Macau handover or takeover.

Ming focus on Taiwan was of course due to the escalating tension between Korea, Japan and Ryukyu (now Okinawa), and Macau was immaterial as long as Portugese were just after trading profits and behave themselves. Ming China could even defeat Japan in Korea and Ryukyu and Holland in Taiwan when Holland thought that was a opportunity to capitalize on.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Macau wasn't a Portuguese colony in the sense of the word colony. It was a gift on leasehold by Ming Dynasty on the request of seafaring Portugese traders in those days. It was granted peacefully since Ming Dynasty didn't know what to do with Macau too, might as as well make it generous grant in gift to Portugese since they wanted back Formosa (Taiwan). In the days of wooden ships (not yet steel ships), no navy in the world could rival Ming China Navy, Portugese knew that well and accepted Macau as a subordinate caretaker and manager of Macau. That's why there wasn't any controversy over Macau handover or takeover.

Ming focus on Taiwan was of course due to the escalating tension between Korea, Japan and Ryukyu (now Okinawa), and Macau was immaterial as long as Portugese were just after trading profits and behave themselves. Ming China could even defeat Japan in Korea and Ryukyu and Holland in Taiwan when Holland thought that was a opportunity to capitalize on.

Macau WAS a Portuguese colony, try rebutting the points again

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macau
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Macau
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sino-Portuguese_Treaty_of_Peking

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
OK, Rogue Trader and Wikiphile, I know you don't like me. The definition of the word colony is variable in context. For example, Malaysia even denied having been a British colony except for Penang, Malacca and Singapore as in Straits Settlements. There're various levels of colonization, outright conquest and annexation, leasehold, settlement, colony, protectorate, dependency and dominion. Don't believe too much in Wikipedia. Singapore got conferred the statius of colony only after WW2, not since 1819. Canada, Australia and NZ were dominions, later converted to politically independent Commonwealth constitutional monarchy under the same monarch reigning in Britain. India was known as the Jewel of the Crown because of its size and population to render the British qualified as Empire.

In Chinese, we only use one term,殖民地。But that's not how the British or other western colonists looked at it or managed it.

Last edited:

wikiphile

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
OK, Rogue Trader and Wikiphile, I know you don't like me. The definition of the word colony is variable in context. For example, Malaysia even denied having been a British colony except for Penang, Malacca and Singapore as in Straits Settlements. There're various levels of colonization, outright conquest and annexation, leasehold, settlement, colony, protectorate, dependency and dominion. Don't believe too much in Wikipedia. Singapore got conferred the statius of colony only after WW2, not since 1819. Canada, Australia and NZ were dominions, later converted to politically independent Commonwealth constitutional monarchy under the same monarch reigning in Britain. India was known as the Jewel of the Crown because of its size and population to render the British qualified as Empire.

In Chinese, we only use one term,殖民地。But that's not how the British or other western colonists looked at it or managed it.

Don't use semantics on me, colony yes or no. This has nothing to do with loving you o rnot

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Nothing to do with me liking you or not. You are writing bullshit and you know it.

Fuck off and start your own "I was misunderstood and mis quoted" thread.