• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Glaring disparity between how us siblings are treated

covertbriar

Alfrescian
Loyal
I come from a minority ethnic group that culturally places low emphasis on education.

Imbibed with such a mindset, I naturally fared poorly in school up until secondary 4. I barely passed and ended up at RP - reputedly Singapore's worst polytechnic .

Then my girlfriend dumped me. Instead of dwelling in self pity, I channeled my anger towards studying hard, eventually getting accepted into NTU.

Now I have an elder brother who also went through a similar route.

Problem is - he's hardly motivated academically, yet aspires to be a doctor (I honestly doubt he knows what it takes to make that happen). He graduated with a dismal GPA of 2.5 (for you JC students, that’s a C+ average).

Meanwhile my parents unequivocally supported him, even setting aside 600,000 SGD for his medical education at a lesser known (nevertheless being recognised by the Singapore Medical Council) overseas institution.

Herein lies my problem.

When I suggested seeking hostel accommodation to cut down on daily commuting time (fyi we live in the eastern part of Singapore, hence it takes 3 f**king hours just to travel back and fourth between home and school), They WERE STRONGLY AGAINST THE IDEA, OPINING I WAS SPENDING MONEY UNNECESSARILY!

More at https://www.domainofexperts.com/2020/08/glaring-disparity-between-how-us.html

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Did the writer of this article do a DNA test with his father? Better make sure. Don't let the sins of the previous generation carry over to the next. :wink: