• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Gilbert Goh vs SDP vs NGOs vs all other opposition entities

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. More importantly it s a clear rejection of the white paper. It is a slap in the face and something that has not occurred previously. PAP should have withdrawn the paper rather than shove it thru. Now the PAP knows that the people are not with them and who then are they representing. They can get Tin, Baey and Foo working fulltime and it is not going to make a difference.

The 6.9 million issue is at the forefront of public consciousness at the moment and that's the reason for the turnout by those who already feel marginalised and have serious concerns that they'll be pushed over the abyss. .

When the minibond saga was at its peak, the same sort of crowd appeared ie those who were directly affected and had nobody else but Tan Kim Lian to turn to.

However, the Presidential election showed that championing a cause does not necessarily translate into broad based political support.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Any protest movement in the world need continuation of momentum so as to snowball into larger people's movement to be effective. I doubt an one off event like this will ever pressure the govt into reversing their policy.

The crowd is so small in relation to the total population that the PAP will take it as an endorsement of their policies.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
You guys think miws will give a shit to the protest ?

The MIWs liberalised the use of HL for just such "protests", allowing voice amplification devices and leaving the National Parks Board, instead of police, to regulate HL. As such, is there any reason why they should care? They will simply congratulate themselves and say that this event fell completely within their planning parameters.

I would argue that the MIWs would care if such an event were staged successive weekends for an entire year with the crowd size about the same or even increasing. Maybe that will come to pass. Never say never.

lockeliberal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

How far the apple has fallen from the tree. LKY said " follow me", Singaporeans followed and he and the first generation paid back their trust. LHL says " follow me" and we have all resoundingly told him, " f u". There is an old saying, the smarter we become the stupider we actually are and this has been borne out in droves by this current generation of leadership.

I cant believe how quickly the current leadership generation has broken the trust and political capital earned by the first generation. In the course of one decade and total political dominance in 2001 , they have lost a GRC, lost political capital and lost the trust of an entire generation of leaders and by 2016 they will have lost 1/3. There is no doubt what the campaign theme for 2016 will be for the opposition it will be the 6.9 campaign,

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. so the old saying goes. PM has zero capital left, he cannot apologise again, Singaporeans will not be fooled again.

Locke

How did GG do something that no one else since independence manage to do. They came despite knowing that it will rain cats and dogs as it has been very reliably over the last few days.

So what is the magic, what is the secret recipe or was there a formula that he uncovered?

Mind you when GG appeared on the scene some years, I did mention his interesting background which Siew Kum Hong had also mentioned. Yet he pulled it off.

It was only a few months ago that CSJ as predicted upon his bankruptcy matter closed flew straight to Yale to deliver a speech and KJ did the same. Yet these two have never been able to pull together 200 people let alone 5,000.

If you attended the rally you would know the answer. No it had nothing to do with the speakers. Even if Gilbert brought 12 Orang Utans, it would have drawn the same crowd.

ChaoPappyPoodle

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree. More importantly it s a clear rejection of the white paper. It is a slap in the face and something that has not occurred previously. PAP should have withdrawn the paper rather than shove it thru. Now the PAP knows that the people are not with them and who then are they representing. They can get Tin, Baey and Foo working fulltime and it is not going to make a difference.

The White Paper was to prepare citizens psychologically for continued influx of immigrants. As the PAPzis look ahead, they have successfully fooled and lulled Singaporeans into accepting that the government exists to earn profits from its citizens for services such as public housing, healthcare, transportation etc. This is a government that has overpaid itself handsomely while continuously gouging itself over exorbitant fees paid to the government and its many GLCs. Singaporeans have accepted to having their pension funds withheld forthrightly and with no recourse.

The only area where the PAPzis encountered severe dislike was immigration. The rate of immigration expect between now and 2030 is no greater than the immigration rate for the past 10 years. There is no good reason for the PAPzis to bring forth the White Paper since it has already committed to this influx a decade ago and its continuing related liabilities buried within Free Trade Agreements with China, India and Philippines.

The White Paper is of course a miscalculation by the PAPzis. All the oppos have to do is to tie in the 6.9 million population target as being a direct effect of the PAPzi's FTAs. Once Singaporeans realize that their jobs, homes and social goods have been traded away they will be grossly upset with the PAPzis.

The White Paper is not about starting a new course. It is the same route that has been administered carefully across ministries over the past 10 years. The PAPzis are betting that this last and huge variance with the populace can be lessened by preparation. As long as the PAPzis control the mainstream media and the FTA details are not available to the general public in a manner and form that they can easily understand, the majority of citizens will not see the true picture of the White Paper.

The White Paper should be seen as the PAPzi's attempt to psychologically prepare citizens for a continually growing population. This they will achieve quite well. There are thousands of ways to do so by using the mainstream media.

The only way to really make this backfire in a way that will jeopardize the PAPzi's hold onto power after the next GE is to link FTAs to the White Paper and then show how the PAPzis have sold out Singaporeans for the past 10 years.

kopikia

Alfrescian
Loyal
Any protest movement in the world need continuation of momentum so as to snowball into larger people's movement to be effective. I doubt an one off event like this will ever pressure the govt into reversing their policy.

miw will never let themselves be seen pressued to reverse a policy. they will easily spin this protest to say
- see, we are a open society we allow protests
- ok you have your say now lets get back to real business of tackling our problems by going ahead with the pwp

if any protest spiral out of control, it will be the perfect opportunity for miw to say
- i told you so,protests are dangerous nd counter productive
- protesters are troublemakers that should be locked up

the only way to stop the miw is in an election. u vote a party into power means you have to swallow their policies like good little peasants

this protest will sadly not change anything

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Good question bro. Nothing like is father. Worse than GCT. This guy is always missing, pushes TCH to the front, always in apology and teary mode and nothing comes out of it. Not sure if he even wears the pants in his house.

Not sure if he even has a cogent plan.

Even the senior civil servants have failed. Imagine they have no idea what a nurse does.

Dear Scroo

How far the apple has fallen from the tree. LKY said " follow me", Singaporeans followed and he and the first generation paid back their trust. LHL says " follow me" and we have all resoundingly told him, " f u". There is an old saying, the smarter we become the stupider we actually are and this has been borne out in droves by this current generation of leadership.

I cant believe how quickly the current leadership generation has broken the trust and political capital earned by the first generation. In the course of one decade and total political dominance in 2001 , they have lost a GRC, lost political capital and lost the trust of an entire generation of leaders and by 2016 they will have lost 1/3. There is no doubt what the campaign theme for 2016 will be for the opposition it will be the 6.9 campaign,

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. so the old saying goes. PM has zero capital left, he cannot apologise again, Singaporeans will not be fooled again.

Locke

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... Nothing like is father. Worse than GCT. This guy is always missing, pushes TCH to the front, always in apology and teary mode and nothing comes out of it. Not sure if he even wears the pants in his house.

Not sure if he even has a cogent plan ...
me oredi mentioned b4 in tis kopitiam dat dat burger is ze mama of all sinkielanz probs ...

me oso mentioned b4 sinkielan changed about ~20 yrs ago ... datz around late 80s/early 90s ... wat happened 2 sinkielan wif respect to dat burger? ... try n recall ze tings dat burger did in his potfolios n all subsequent mess n pains created ...

wen ah tong was stil in charge, dat burgerz troublemaking was oredi evident, but not so widespread ... mid 2000's onwards, wen tis burger started 2 take over ... all hell broke loose ...

Last edited:

chilakak

Alfrescian
Loyal
Scroobal, good posts, but knn, can we not over cb analyse the crowd pls. cheers bro :biggrin:

It was a lot of people, sure to have unemployed, underemployed, fully employed and dont know wat else employed all also have.
the point is everybody and his dog was there, thats good enuf.

And the point is, ordinary ah tees, muthus and ahmads, (urine, shit and m&d) are pissed off with this cb policies by a cb govt, I hope pp dont forget and do the needful cum 2016.

This GG, I dont know him, but he did a good thing, if anyone come across him, pls buy him a tiger at the kopitiam.

So lets not let the substance of the protest be stymied by the over digging.

Very nicely put! Thank you.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Scroo

Locke

true that singaporeans won't be fooled by pap again. but would be by the political parties that seized this xenophobic movement....

JPMorgan888

Alfrescian
Loyal
Look how scared the moslems are.... they sense white paper is the end of their reign as lay pak kings.

61696_10151342218387655_1315918239_n.jpg

cheekenpie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Agree on GG, I am also uncomfortable wth his donation seeking habit. I have no doubt that one day he is going to land someone who sought his help into trouble.

Hopefully the PAP gets the message.

YUP, he asking for money agin.......

Gilbert Goh
Fund raising:- We are trying to raise funds for our May day sequel protest event on the population white paper and other related labour matters. If you want to donate to our cause, please email me at [email protected]. We need to raise at least $10 000 for the event. The break down is as follows:-

1. 800 tee shirts - $5500
2. 500 car decals - $750
3. Stage - $1800 (est)
4. 6-speaker sound system - $400
5. Other logistics - $1000 (est)

We have some reserves left from the previous event but need to top it up considerably so that we are financially sound for the May day event.

If you want to sponsor some of our expenses and need to see the invoices, we will be glad to do so.

Let us ensure that the May day event will be a success! Cheers.

See you soon Singapore!

Gilbert Goh

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
YUP, he asking for money agin.......

The donations will be from singaporeans for a social protest fighting for
a just cause i.e.rights of Singaporeans must come first in Singapore !
BTW,why PA organized a farewell party for ex-PA chief Yam Ah Mee ?
Is there blatant misuse of public funds (taxpayers' money) ?

g3abc

Alfrescian
Loyal
...but it seems to thhose-in-the-know,.that attention-seeking whores from the SDP planted themselves there, to suck up as much personal exposure as possible.

And the Nature Society of Singapore (why?) was there, during the last protest,...trying to save Bukit Brown,...

It is a social protest. That's why it was successful, even while it rained throughout. I talked to a few chaps there and they talked to me about social issues they faced and that's why they're there to protest. They didn't say they're there to support a WP rally, or SDP rally, or NSP rally. I don't think they care; they're there to support the protest against 6.9 million projection by the government. That's all. Me too. Gilbert Goh can be an independent or he could just have climbed down from a tree, as long as the social agenda is pertinent, the crowd will be there to support it.

ray_of_hope

Alfrescian
Loyal
A few rich individuals would sure donate. The rest there mostly not, I guess, as there was a large number of cab drivers and unemployed the last time.

Cosmos10

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
...but it seems to thhose-in-the-know,.that attention-seeking whores from the SDP planted themselves there, to suck up as much personal exposure as possible.

And the Nature Society of Singapore (why?) was there, during the last protest,...trying to save Bukit Brown,...

Please explain with specific examples why do you consider the SDP as attention-seeking whores? Why do non-SDP supporters have such a bad mouth? It will be good if all of us can learn to write objectively with facts instead of bad-mouthing others. Thanks. :smile::smile: