• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Giant bicycles

Fishypie

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I prefer buying a no-friLLs bike from Giant hypermart than that Giant brand of bike.Having ridden one on Loan from
a neighbour who was hoLidaying for a month, the feeL and it's weight distribution are reaLLy cLumsy.

chupacabra

Alfrescian
Loyal
As long as the bike suits your height, weight and needs its a good bike. Also get one that dont weigh a ton. Cycling is a good way to keep in shape and is good on the joints.

Last edited:

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I think $400 is reasonable especially if it is branded. In the 70's I remember spending $200 for a sports model. I know you can get no names for cheaper but always prefer to spend a little more if I'm getting quality.

Currently I get my excercise from walking around but riding would be more fun.

For exercise, u may oso consider foldable bike...advantage can fold to smaller size and tuck away in storeroom...performance wise of course not as good as full bike...

Or get second hand from Togoparts...foldable or not...for instance something like this... http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/ad_details.php?aid=450388
Togoparts sometime hav pretty good deal...but mus do some homework on de pricing...

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
For exercise, u may oso consider foldable bike...advantage can fold to smaller size and tuck away in storeroom...performance wise of course not as good as full bike...

Or get second hand from Togoparts...foldable or not...for instance something like this... http://www.togoparts.com/marketplace/ad_details.php?aid=450388
Togoparts sometime hav pretty good deal...but mus do some homework on de pricing...

When I was young I had one of those foldable bikes with smaller wheels. It was a very strange bicycle. If you wanted to brake you had to peddle in the reverse direction. One thing I notice is that with smaller wheels you have to peddle more.

iamfree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Giant bicycle is well known in Taiwan.

I have been to one of their show-room in Taiwan and saw some very mean-looking bicycle with a even meaner price tag!

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When I was young I had one of those foldable bikes with smaller wheels. It was a very strange bicycle. If you wanted to brake you had to peddle in the reverse direction. One thing I notice is that with smaller wheels you have to peddle more.

No lah nowadays no nid to pedal back...but smaller wheel u had to watch out for curb n porthole...Actually if u look at it another way...under performing bike is goot for workout...I gib up my hardtail for a Brompton...getting old leow...injury frm fall are taking longer n longer time to heal...

Another advantage of foldies...you can throw at least 2 or 3 into ur boot...drive to Eastcoast n cycle around...no nid to buy the bike stand...not happy? pack up drive to cck n cycle ard those farm...quite flexible for small family outing...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
While I was in Skudai JB I saw a bicycle shop selling chinese, Taiwanes or Japanese bicylces?? These bicycles looked like they were designed for commuting & recreation i.e. not sporty mountain bikes.

The prices were cheap starting at RM$200 & up. So if you are looking for cheap bicycles & drive, you may want to take a look. It's located at the shop houses on Jalan Impian Emas

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
I thought that good bicycles were all made in US & Europe, until I saw the report on CNN about this Taiwanese company.

99% of all bicycle frames are made in Taiwan/China and that includes the top of the range carbon frames.

95% of all bicycles use Shimano components and these are made all over the world Singapore included.

erection2015

Alfrescian (InfP) + C
yep...almost all the labour is outsourced.

99% of all bicycle frames are made in Taiwan/China and that includes the top of the range carbon frames.

95% of all bicycles use Shimano components and these are made all over the world Singapore included.

KNNBCCB

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i dont cycle to work because the coupon parking for my bicycle is extremely expensive. Every half hour is $5. Its cheaper for me to take a taxi to work

and cycle during weekends.

heng ahhh i ride a kapkia ... parking coupon only 0.65 cents a day ...

no need pedal somemore ...

gz0707

Alfrescian
Loyal
Giant is a global brand that is mass branded but also has upscale models that has competed successfully. at the low end, you can get a $500 mountain bike. at the high end, you can buy a $8,000 Rabobank carbon frame racing bike. imo, its a good brand, just that it does not have the atas status most people associate with european racing brands. :smile: