• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

FTrashised Soccer Team in A MESS!

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Zidane's family were French citizens living in Algeria during colonial days. Zidane was born French in Algeria. Singapore has one too. Terry Butcher (played for England around 1982-86) born in Singapore to British military service family.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
GCT said France imported a team from Africa to win the World Cup for them. Sheer idiot, didn't even bother to find out. African countries have never won the World Cup nor even progressed beyond Q-finals. It's apparent that the ministers didn't know that and didn't bother to find out at that time.

This is for MBT & GCT's info, since theyre so inept about this sport yet dare to conjure up their make believe statement.

Zidane of Algerian stock was born in Marsailles.
Henry who is from the isles of Antilla, was born in Essone
Trezeguet of Argie stock was born in Rouen.
Djorkaeff of etchnic Armenian stock was born in Lyon.
Only Vieira was born in Senegal.
So all the French chaps were born in france not "import" as what our 2 ministers claimed. If theyre so frivolous about their statement, imagine what kind of statement they can twist in the political arena.

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
the french team have players that are world class or playin in top leagues....not sg FT who are only s-league standard and most of them are better than the locals just becoz of their size and strength

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dun even talk about the Asian Cup, cannot even win the SEA games....maybe they should have just stuck to the Malaysia Cup...

Even in Malaysia Cup playing against state teams, Singapore met with little success. I remember the 3:2 final victory against Penang in 1977, then the 2:0 final victory against Selangor in 1980 or 82. That was about all to show for it until 1991 or 92, something like a 4:0 or 4:1 final victory against Pahang, with the help from Ozzie FTs Abbas Saad and the other something Alistair or something. Both later got charged and deported for corruption.

In any case, even with lack of achievements in terms of results and trophies, Singapore was passionate about football in the 70s and 80s. Choo Seng Kwee, Quah Kim Song, Dollah Kassim etc. were household and coffeeshop names that practically everybody knew. School and public fields were filled with kids playing football. Queensway and Peninsula shopping centres sold more football boots than sneakers. Today, it's banned, liable to arrest for trespassing. Apply for permission and they'd be rejected. Footballing hurts the grass. Today if you try start off chatting about Avramovic and Precious, likely response from 11 out 10 would think that you're talking about eastern European jewellery trade.

lightblue77

Alfrescian
Loyal
you guys should just shut up.. if u don't follow local soccer instead worshipping a football club thousand k.m away and declare that i have been supporting the Red devil, pools since 10yrs etc!

The present soccer team may not be world-beater but the last few yrs under coach Raddy they have done their best winning 2 ASEAN title, WC 3rd rd qualification and of course the recent Asia Cup qualifier.. and to mention also some impressive int friendlies result. The FAS may not have do enough like some of you suggest, but the so-called football-crazy fans in s'pore are to blame so! seriously, singapore is not a real football crazy country compared to say thailand or vietnam or indonesia. The recent conclude Asia Cup qualifier, Vietnam and Indonesia results are disastrous (worst than singapore) but fans in these countries are considered real football fans... they dont just watch world-class football EPL, world cup, Euro Cup but they do also support passionately kampong football of SEA.

As for the FT in the Lions squad, FYI not all are selected by the FAS through FTSystem. A couple of them like Alex Duric, John Wilkinson, Daniel Benett etc played in the S-League for a couple of yrs... progress from apply thru their own merit getting a PR then a citizenship. Naturally, as a professional player and if the national team selector feel you have done well in the domestic league will b called up for national team duties regardless FT or not.

oli9

Alfrescian
Loyal
Even in Malaysia Cup playing against state teams, Singapore met with little success. I remember the 3:2 final victory against Penang in 1977, then the 2:0 final victory against Selangor in 1980 or 82. That was about all to show for it until 1991 or 92, something like a 4:0 or 4:1 final victory against Pahang, with the help from Ozzie FTs Abbas Saad and the other something Alistair or something. Both later got charged and deported for corruption.

Let me refresh you. Its Abbas & Alistair Edwards. The corruption was only charged against abbas saad & Michael Vana, who has since disappeared from the face of this earth. The charge was also extended David lee & Malek Awab but was later dropped due to insufficient evidences.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Exactly what I meant. Local lads have stopped playing football, especially the Chinese kids, and more and more the others. Without foreigners, Singapore would find it hard to assemble a team of 11 players of any acceptable international standard. With foreigners however, the passion of support from Singaporeans naturally cools down.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Let me refresh you. Its Abbas & Alistair Edwards. The corruption was only charged against abbas saad & Michael Vana, who has since disappeared from the face of this earth. The charge was also extended David lee & Malek Awab but was later dropped due to insufficient evidences.

Thanks for the refresher. I was in US those days (90s) and follow only sporadically.

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always fail to understand why for a sport like water polo we are so dorminant and strong - SEA champions for umpteen times - but not for a more popular sport like soccer. Think if we put our hearts and minds into it and getting the right people to be involved we can do it. If we can be successful in water polo, surely we could do well for soccer as well as any other sports ...

wrcboi

Alfrescian
Loyal
I always fail to understand why for a sport like water polo we are so dorminant and strong - SEA champions for umpteen times - but not for a more popular sport like soccer. Think if we put our hearts and minds into it and getting the right people to be involved we can do it. If we can be successful in water polo, surely we could do well for soccer as well as any other sports ...

i agree to a certain extend....however none of our sports make it big in to a bigger stage or world stage apart from bowling occasionally.....apparently for water polo there are only 3-4 teams taking part in SEA comp and get trashed everytime when play with the bigger boys in asia....

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

For waterpolo and watersports generally in SEA, Singapore surely do well. Singapore Chinese are of fairer complexion than the rest of SEA. Light pigments float easier, dark pigments sink faster. Common physio-bio. Have you seen Malay or Indian in Singapore waterpolo or swimming team? You've seen world class black superstar footballers, basketballers, runners and other track athletes, have you seen such as swimmers? Anyway whatever, Singapore watersportsmen compete with Japanese and Caucasians, still sure lose.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
For waterpolo and watersports generally in SEA, Singapore surely do well. Singapore Chinese are of fairer complexion than the rest of SEA. Light pigments float easier, dark pigments sink faster. Common physio-bio. Have you seen Malay or Indian in Singapore waterpolo or swimming team? You've seen world class black superstar footballers, basketballers, runners and other track athletes, have you seen such as swimmers? Anyway whatever, Singapore watersportsmen compete with Japanese and Caucasians, still sure lose.

It has nothing to do with who can float better. It's the management of the swimming pool that calls the shot.

Queen Seok Duk

Alfrescian
Loyal
Your last statement takes the cake. Spore had the chance taking on MU & Liverpool last year. They were thumped convincingly. What Asia Barca are you talking about?

Hello, did the big stars from MU and Liverpool play ? Got Rooney ? Got Gerard ? I told you already our boys have big match temperament. A friendly game they will find it hard to motivate themselves.

I think you've been watching too many EPLs and CLs that you stopped watching Sg football altogether. You tell me our fluid passing doesn't resemble Barca meh ? Only slow motion a bit.

As for Drogba, if not for Mourinho, he would not have made it to the World stage. Sometimes it's opportunity. Blame who ? You don't expect Frank Arnesen to fly all the way to Singapore to watch S-League and spot talent. Please lah, it all boils down to geographical location.

god's ultimate weapon

Alfrescian
Loyal

Hey!
I attacking moneyfielder OK?
In the image of Diego Marlborodona

6pcks8.jpg

You go ask around people who studied in NSW University who had the opportunity to see MBT in his soccer boots.

He was an attacking midfielder representing the soccer team of UNSW. I tell his movement with the ball is a freaking spitting image of Diego Maradona !

Liquigas

Alfrescian
Loyal
i agree to a certain extend....however none of our sports make it big in to a bigger stage or world stage apart from bowling occasionally.....apparently for water polo there are only 3-4 teams taking part in SEA comp and get trashed everytime when play with the bigger boys in asia....

Just aim to be the kingpin in SEA is good enough already because we cannot expect our boys and girls to compete with the best in Asia and Europe. Yes, the national reserved water polo team from Croatia (population 4 million) I am pretty sure could easily wack our national team until jialat jialat in a competition!

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Exactly what I meant. Local lads have stopped playing football, especially the Chinese kids, and more and more the others. Without foreigners, Singapore would find it hard to assemble a team of 11 players of any acceptable international standard. With foreigners however, the passion of support from Singaporeans naturally cools down.

Well even our favorite football son fandi himself admitted that we will not get anywhere cos the team needs not only the malays but the chinese and indians too..