• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Friend or relative driving cab you hailed

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
If you hop into a cab and find that it is a friend or a relative driving, would it be insulting to tip him some extra $$?

On the flip side, should you refuse if he gives you a discount?

Opinions please .....

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Discount NO wun accept even if offered... Tips... depends... most likely no oso...Business is business mah... :biggrin::biggrin:

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Thanks brudders for your inputs....

When I get along well with the cabbie during the ride, I'll tell him to keep the loose change (max 1 dollar). There are other times cabbies give me 10/20 cents off the meter to save time searching for coins...

But when it comes to someone you know driving the cab, things are not longer straight forward .....

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Incredible, doesn't your ex know her dad's cab number in the 1st place? In this situation, definitely an earful.

High till Dry

Alfrescian
Loyal
got 2 encouters.

first one my uncle. i gave him the money but he rejected even though i told him i can claim from company. well uncle is senior. watever he says...

2nd one my friend. in fact i hopped into his cab when he did part time for the 1st day. wat a small world. fare was $8 i gave him $10 and opened the dollar. he squeezed 4 bucks back to me which i rejected. after awhile in order for him to pick up the next customer (we're in the taxi stand) i oblidged.

mockingbird

Alfrescian
Loyal
It should be acceptable to ask him keep the change but tipping, preferably not because he may not take it positively.

If he gives discount, unless he is a very close to you, then better reject.

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
2nd one my friend. in fact i hopped into his cab when he did part time for the 1st day. wat a small world.

That's what I'm talking about.... Are you absolutely sure if it's his first day driving? ... Or he's just saying that to 'save face'? (For the record I think that driving a cab is a hard and honorable profession).

I think in the cases of new drivers they will purposely give you a discount to show that they are not in financial desperation.

jw5

Loyal
If you hop into a cab and find that it is a friend or a relative driving, would it be insulting to tip him some extra $$?

On the flip side, should you refuse if he gives you a discount?

Opinions please .....
Just pay him the normal fare.

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
No favors should be asked; none should be taken. Allow each other the same dignity. An experienced driver always prefer a passenger sitting in the back and belted up. Safer as statistics had shown.

pia

Alfrescian
Loyal
juz + a question ... would u sit in front or @ ze back? ... :p

If friend or relative, the respectable thing would be to sit in front :smile:

And the worst thing is to make it into an awkward situation, especially for long lost friends whom everybody thot were doing well.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about vomit in the TAXI. I have done that few times many years ago after drinking. Is unintentionally because miss vomit in the plastic bag as taxi is moving and me is half drunk.
Feel very awful and sorry, but that happen in my younger year. Any one have the same experience?

Ah Guan

Alfrescian
Loyal
juz + a question ... would u sit in front or @ ze back? ... :p

Usually in the front passenger seat.

But I find local cab drivers expect people to sit behind because the front seats are usually adjusted too forward.